Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Is this necessarily the end for Gaslight? Hell, crank out Dungeons of Dredmor 2 and we're good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Tias posted:

Is this necessarily the end for Gaslight? Hell, crank out Dungeons of Dredmor 2 and we're good.

Something like 3 of the 4 team members left the company, so yeah, seems unlikely they're coming back.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
The last guy is so busy drowning himself at the pub, he can't get a message out about the breakup.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
https://www.gamedev.net/blog/644/entry-2262484-a-review-of-works-from-2011-2016/

From back in december. Doesn't get into too much detail but David Baumgart basically admitted to hubris.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
drat, feel kind of bad since I never bought the game, but was waiting for it to hit the point where It's development hit the point where I wouldn't regret the purchase. Dropped off my radar and welp here we are.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Oh huh, I didn't realize he was the same person who also worked on Starsector. He's around on those forums, though I'm not sure how well he would take it if CE was brought up.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Man, you've arrived at a special set of circumstances where, in the end and/or with benefit of hindsight---it is an almost 100% guaranteed lock that a (2D) Master of Magic successor, an essentially potently cursed project inherently, would've stood a better chance at running the gauntlet of madness successfully.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

ExiledTinkerer posted:

Man, you've arrived at a special set of circumstances where, in the end and/or with benefit of hindsight---it is an almost 100% guaranteed lock that a (2D) Master of Magic successor, an essentially potently cursed project inherently, would've stood a better chance at running the gauntlet of madness successfully.

I don't think hindsight was really needed to see this coming though (I hoped otherwise, but like I said before, was unwilling to drop a dime until I saw the game mature into something remotely what was promised) .

Clockwork Empires is in a genre where basically every game fails or ends up mediocre and directionless, with about 10 minutes of gameplay before it gets stale . Dwarf fortress succeeds because Toady has had years and years to work on it and he doesn't worry about game engine/graphics/gui/etc beyond the very basics. Also he probably doesn't make enough income to support even a tiny game studio.

I do hope the devs bounce back, I liked them, and I think most of the mistakes in this stemmed from them not having a lot of accumulated experience in the industry. Dredmor was, programatically, a small game, and I think if they would have had more experience wrangling custom 3d rendering code they would have done better, or more likely, realized that homegrown solutions are usually not the best.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Apologies for bumping this thread as sadly it seems the game and studio are sadly now part of the past, but apparently a volunteer coder has started a sort of indie modding project has been started to at least patch up and fix the game. Follow the progress in his Steamgroup here, perhaps at least the game can be salvaged to a point for some people.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Deki posted:

Clockwork Empires is in a genre where basically every game fails or ends up mediocre and directionless, with about 10 minutes of gameplay before it gets stale . Dwarf fortress succeeds because Toady has had years and years to work on it and he doesn't worry about game engine/graphics/gui/etc beyond the very basics. Also he probably doesn't make enough income to support even a tiny game studio.

Back when I was on Bay12 they ran a small thing every christmas to get donations for Toady. This was a long time ago now (around 7 years) but he was definitely pulling in around $30000 a year in donations which was insane.

http://www.develop-online.net/news/dwarf-fortress-dev-moving-from-donations-to-patreon-doubled-our-income/0218666

Looks like they're still pulling in a fair amount.

Dongsturm
Feb 17, 2012

dogstile posted:

Back when I was on Bay12 they ran a small thing every christmas to get donations for Toady. This was a long time ago now (around 7 years) but he was definitely pulling in around $30000 a year in donations which was insane.

http://www.develop-online.net/news/dwarf-fortress-dev-moving-from-donations-to-patreon-doubled-our-income/0218666

Looks like they're still pulling in a fair amount.

That's definitely not enough to support a studio, even a one man studio. He could walk out the door and get twice that immediately, but he would have to put some pants on.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Dongsturm posted:

That's definitely not enough to support a studio, even a one man studio. He could walk out the door and get twice that immediately, but he would have to put some pants on.

It's enough to work from home on his own schedule so I imagine he's not too bothered

Checked the patreon, its at $4,901 a month. I wouldn't mind that kind of salary. Mainly because i'm a poor, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dongsturm
Feb 17, 2012

dogstile posted:

It's enough to work from home on his own schedule so I imagine he's not too bothered

Checked the patreon, its at $4,901 a month. I wouldn't mind that kind of salary. Mainly because i'm a poor, though.

That's split between two people, and the operating costs. Someone with his background can make 120k in finance, plus all the cocaine you can snort for free.

I would like his working conditions, but not his pay. He's paying a hefty premium for being able to work on his underpants.

• Locked thread