Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Poil
Mar 17, 2007

The governor has mandated the taming of one Norwegian Blue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nvining
May 30, 2011

tunnels through walls with its odd, rubbery nasal appliance

Deadmeat5150 posted:

As a side note every replay I've made for weeks has been corrupted.

It would be nice of people to tell me when this happens. What do you mean, "corrupted"?

quote:

Also, why do my soldiers utilize Fishman firearms? This blasphemy must stop!

It started as a bug? We decided to leave it in as a horrible feature for now.

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

Wait, does the jobs menu have an actual impact on the game? I assumed all the buttons were broken since I couldn't use it to cancel jobs (seriously, we could cope with so many task-management bugs if we could just cancel broken jobs. I've wanted this since the "Overseer stands where foraged bushes used to be, pining for days long past" bug)

No, I still have yet to hook up the "Cancel" buttons correctly. I will try to get to that today.

nvining
May 30, 2011

Yeol: I have a replay which causes the infinite loop! I think! Huzzah! Fixing this now.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Well I mean that if I try to load them the game crashes. The number system that used to be there is now wonky and seems to have set itself back to the thirties when it should be in the fifties. And if I try to zip them or move them at all my computer freaks out and I have to reset.

nvining
May 30, 2011

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Well I mean that if I try to load them the game crashes. The number system that used to be there is now wonky and seems to have set itself back to the thirties when it should be in the fifties. And if I try to zip them or move them at all my computer freaks out and I have to reset.

Old replays - i.e. those replays made with a version of the game older than you have - will probably crash the game. I'm not sure I can help you with your computer freaking out if you move files.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

nvining posted:

Yeol: I have a replay which causes the infinite loop! I think! Huzzah! Fixing this now.

Huzzah! Huzzah! Cog save the Queen and all that!

nvining
May 30, 2011

Probably fixed in REV 32A, which is now on the experimental tree with a) a handful of other fixes? b) pies.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
People pies confirmed.

Next step: Orphan pies

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Deadmeat5150 posted:

People pies confirmed.

Next step: Orphan pies

Devs plz implement barber shops and real-time beard growth.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Ratoslov posted:

An in-game artefact which, when integrated into any in-game device, causes the player's facial hair growth rate to increase exponentially until the save is deleted.

Verloc
Feb 15, 2001

Note to self: Posting 'lulz' is not a good idea.

Ratoslov posted:

Cultist owned barber shops must provide bonuses to meat pie production.

edit:
VV After that happens there's a random chance a colonist goes to get a haircut, disappears, and a bunch of meat pies spawn on the stockpile VV

Verloc fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Oct 22, 2014

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Verloc posted:

Cultist owned barber shops must provide bonuses to meat pie production.

John Overcogsmith has changed the name of his Barbershop to Sweeney Tod's Barber and Surgery

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

This week's blogpost: https://www.gaslampgames.com/2014/10/22/fight-or-flight/

Going into detail about how believable combat (or flight) behavior would look and how to make it that way in a game.
It's pretty complicated!

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Speaking of combat I have some observations:

Soldiers will completely ignore any and all badguys while running to a waypoint
    Soldiers carrying an object and there rifle will push their rifle through said object to fire it. Currently this has resulted in fishmen being menaced with fresh fruit.
    Soldiers will ignore the perfectly placed pile of logs next to them in order to grab a much more tantalizing pile on the other side of the planet.
    Soldiers are much more interested in finishing a delivering than answering a rally summons
    Soldiers who run out of bullets will grab hoes or axes, and never ever grab a gun again
    Frontier Justice apparently means "when we get to it"

I think this replay actually works. I can send it if need be.
Although there was a significant pause in the action as I ran to picture my daughter up and take her to the dentist.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Soldiers carrying an object and there rifle will push their rifle through said object to fire it. Currently this has resulted in fishmen being menaced with fresh fruit.

"Oy, lad. 'ere's how you get them coconuts open. Spear it on your bayonet, pull the trigger, an' Bob's your uncle."

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Daynab posted:

This week's blogpost: https://www.gaslampgames.com/2014/10/22/fight-or-flight/

Going into detail about how believable combat (or flight) behavior would look and how to make it that way in a game.
It's pretty complicated!

The fishpeople are wielding enormous carrots.

I realize they're meant to be coral clubs, but they have that specific shade of carrot orange to them. And if you made them much pinker they'd look like the sausages.

e:

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Battle the twin seaborne menaces of Fishmen and Scurvy at the same time!

Dareon fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Oct 23, 2014

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
It's important we learn to defend ourselves!

nvining
May 30, 2011

I'm back from vacation (and have celebrated by killing another infinite loop bug and doing some other UI improvements.) Did I miss anything?

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Clockwork Empires: Cabbage and Fruit Defense Simulator

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

New blogpost: https://www.gaslampgames.com/2014/10/29/afflictions-jobs-religion/

Talking about fixing the weird issue of colonists just becoming lazier and lazier as you play the game.
Also this:

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Email sent out posted:

Truth is, we learned everything we know about religion from Dominions 4.

You guys are seriously the best developers. Hard working yet you can still crack jokes.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
It is a very lovely lizard.

nvining
May 30, 2011

Ghostwoods posted:

It is a very lovely lizard.

You can enjoy the lizard yourself in Revision 32B, now available on the Experimental Branch!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

nvining posted:

You can enjoy the lizard yourself in Revision 32B, now available on the Experimental Branch!

Do the lizards grow in size and start breathing fire if exposed to sufficient quantities of background Eldritch radiation?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
While I like Clockwork Empires, I'd be happy if it was the last game to use the Eldritch thing, because all of the dumb jokes are the absolute worst.

e: From the fans, the developers are cool.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Daynab posted:

New blogpost: https://www.gaslampgames.com/2014/10/29/afflictions-jobs-religion/

Talking about fixing the weird issue of colonists just becoming lazier and lazier as you play the game.
Also this:

It seems like when it comes to sandbox colony building games, there's always a problem with either laziness or not eating enough in the long term. Towns suffered from a long-term eating disorder and I think one other game had similar problems during development.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Devs, plz tell me you did not implement churches because of my one-off joke.

Also, have you considered some means of promoting useless lower-class blaggards to productive middle-class blaggards?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Turtlicious posted:

While I like Clockwork Empires, I'd be happy if it was the last game to use the Eldritch thing, because all of the dumb jokes are the absolute worst.

e: From the fans, the developers are cool.

:agreed: 100%

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Turtlicious posted:

I'd be happy if it was the last game to use the Eldritch thing

Uh, the technical term is "adjective"?

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Alright so it seems if there's another memory leak of some sort. I can't play a game longer than 45 minutes without it dragging to a halt and sucking all of my computer's resources.

This menu is really bugging the hell out me

I dubbed him the Moonwalker cause he walked in place for 5 minutes before deciding he would sleep on the spot.

Oh sure it says he's retreating, what he's doing is casually sauntering past the scary fishman on the way to bed

You hold her arms, I've got the knife!

Still heresy!

So many more important things to do instead of running to the rally point and fighting.

Pick it up

Put it down

Pick it up

Put it down

He did that over and over again until I drafted him to cancel the job.

I think there was a mixup in the planning. Something got swapped.

The chapel having some Unnatural Geometry issues. Does not bode well

I have no idea why this happened

Seriously though, the fishman attacks are really getting to be a pain in the rear end

Somebody who retreats will only do so in a mostly straight line

The result

Retreating may as well be a death sentence

This dude's fate

The fighting is really starting to annoy the hell out of me. My colonies are at constant war with a foe they never antagonized in the first place. Should the fishpeople be fine until you start harvesting their children? Why are they sending 20 squads of goons to kill all my colonists after our third day here?

nvining
May 30, 2011

If you have a replay where it's bogging down, let me know and post it on the forums.

Combat seems to be a bit of a mess right now. I will prioritize Investigation (well, after I deal with the crashing, memory leaks, and problem of "people just constantly stare at the whiskey.")

Man, I could stare at some whiskey this week.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Go ahead and grab it here. Since the replays don't record pauses, it's not as long as it COULD be. Although I've crashed twice trying to view it.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

Deadmeat5150 posted:

This dude's fate

The fighting is really starting to annoy the hell out of me. My colonies are at constant war with a foe they never antagonized in the first place. Should the fishpeople be fine until you start harvesting their children? Why are they sending 20 squads of goons to kill all my colonists after our third day here?
From what I can see searching the files you gain fish anger in 3 ways: 2 each time you harvest/clear caviar, 2 for killing fishmen (only 1 for those spawned by the attack event), and 3 every time the attack event timer reaches 0 but it doesn't make an attack. I'm pretty sure the anger for killing fishmen is a bug and it should be 1 for civilian ones and 0 for raiders since it is in two places. The first is if a human killed it and the second is if they are not a raider. So all fishmen increase anger when killed by a human and civilian fishmen increase anger any time they die even if its from starvation (were that a thing). I'm actually gonna report that.

If fishpeople attacks are getting to be too much and you don't mind making changes you can change it pretty easily in the files. Easiest is just change how often the attack event fires, this is in CE\game\events\events.xml. Near the bottom is <event name="Fishpeople Attack"> and under that <require_timer name="Fishpeople Attack Timer" value="2000"/>, just up the 2000 to something higher to make it less common. IIRC there are 3000 ticks in a game day, ideally.

Alternately in CE\scripts\embark_temperate.lus or embark_tropical.lua you can change the likelihood of an attack each time the event fires. Tropical biome has send("gameSession", "setSessionInt", "fishPeopleAttackChance", 2), and temperate has send("gameSession", "setSessionInt", "fishPeopleAttackChance", 3). So the chance of an attack is 1/2 or 1/3 respectively. So attacks are more common in tropical but since if an attack doesn't happen the anger is stored up (and actually given a bonus) temperate is more likely to get multiple attacks rolled into one. This is offset by send("gameSession", "setSessionInt", "fishPeopleRaiderCost", 2) for tropical and send("gameSession", "setSessionInt", "fishPeopleRaiderCost", 4) for temperate. This is the cost in fish anger per spawned attacker. So with the same amount of fish anger you will have half as many attackers in a temperate biome. Increase fishPeopleAttackChance to make attacks less frequent or increase fishPeopleRaiderCost to make fewer fishmen spawn per attack.

Personally I think if the attack doesn't fire it should cool off the previous anger a bit and then give it a small boost, something like newAnger = (oldAnger * (7/8)) + 3. That way if you don't get attacks for a bit you aren't totally hosed by getting a massive one. A more interesting/complex formula would be to keep track of the anger when the attack didn't happen and if you haven't made them angry since then let them cool off otherwise make an attack more likely. So like if currentFishAnger == savedFishAnger then currentFishAnger = currentFishAnger * (7/8) else fishPeopleAttackChance = fishPeopleAttackChance - 1.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I don't usually dig around in code that is probably going to change. Makes it hard to think.

You'd have to have severe ADHD to understand that I think.

nvining
May 30, 2011

Deadmeat5150 posted:

I don't usually dig around in code that is probably going to change. Makes it hard to think.

You'd have to have severe ADHD to understand that I think.

Hey now, I'll have you know I'm perfectly sane (and unlike Toady, my degree is math is only an undergraduate one, thank you very much)

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.

nvining posted:

Hey now, I'll have you know I'm perfectly sane (and unlike Toady, my degree is math is only an undergraduate one, thank you very much)
Uh.

nvining
May 30, 2011

Today's blogpost puts my previous assertions re: sanity to question, as I continue to attack the OpenGL problem on OS X:

https://www.gaslampgames.com/2014/11/05/a-crash-course-in-moving-a-legacy-opengl-codebase-to-core-opengl-3-2/

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

nvining posted:

Today's blogpost puts my previous assertions re: sanity to question, as I continue to attack the OpenGL problem on OS X:

It's OK, NV. None of us ever believed those assertions anyway.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
Oh those were assertions. I thought they were fever-dreams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
ASSERT(nvining_sane);

Yep, I get an assertion all right.

I did enjoy the blog post, though. Graphics isn't exactly my field, but I do remember that the last time I looked at OpenGL, 2/3rd of the documentation was about stuff that was hopelessly obsolete, so I can't say I fault them for getting rid of a lot of things.

It also makes me appreciate that a lot of the APIs I use were created in the 80s and will exist until the heat death of the universe.

• Locked thread