Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
I do hope we'll be able to play as Foreigners one day!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nvining
May 30, 2011

tunnels through walls with its odd, rubbery nasal appliance

Ceciltron posted:

I do hope we'll be able to play as Foreigners one day!

*gasp*

What sort of aberration against all that is Good and Patriotic is this?!

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

nvining posted:

*gasp*

What sort of aberration against all that is Good and Patriotic is this?!
Vive la Nouvelle Antipodie libre!

Frontier justice is far more exciting with a guillotine, is all I'm saying.

nvining
May 30, 2011

... and Revision 39A just hit the experimental branch. It does, indeed, include fishpeople wearing hats:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Those look adorable.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Please tell me colonists will loot and wear those. :3:

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

nvining posted:

... and Revision 39A just hit the experimental branch. It does, indeed, include fishpeople wearing hats:

this looks wonderful

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

when can i take a fishperson as a siha

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

nvining posted:

Can colonists wear those hats? Will that give them happy thoughts?

nvining
May 30, 2011

Bernardo Orel posted:

Can colonists wear those hats? Will that give them happy thoughts?

As of the last rambling confused discussion, there may be certain characters who wish to desperately acquire foreign headwear.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Games: Clockwork Empires - It's Really About Headwear In Colonial Imperialism

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

nvining posted:

As of the last rambling confused discussion, there may be certain characters who wish to desperately acquire foreign headwear.

When we will get pigeons and bees?

Also what is the plan for naturalists, will they eventually create some use from examining all the grasses and bushes?

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

SeanBeansShako posted:

Those look adorable.

Those? It's false advertising. That fishperson is only wearing one hat.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Whelp. Took the plunge and bought this game. Anything I desperately need to know before I start the inevitable chain of failures/prosperous colonies?

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.

StrangeAeon posted:

Whelp. Took the plunge and bought this game. Anything I desperately need to know before I start the inevitable chain of failures/prosperous colonies?
Start farming early.

Duckbill
Nov 7, 2008

Nice weather for it.
Grimey Drawer

Geokinesis posted:

When we will get pigeons and bees?

Also what is the plan for naturalists, will they eventually create some use from examining all the grasses and bushes?

Bees!

As of the latest Experimental version, naturalists seem to have something going on with 'examining the ground and finding ore' (we can all already see the ore, but at least they feel like they're helping). I like to imagine them shouting "Yippee!" like the ones in Settlers II.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
So, quick question, when I kill soldiers from another nation and/or empire and/or Grossherzogtum (whatever that is), are my colonists supposed to bury the corpses or just leave them out in the sun to rot? Because I've seen both happen; of the four vile Stahlmarkians that attacked my colony, one was buried and the others were just dumped unceremoniously in the woods. My first reaction was that colonists would only bury foreign officers, but not common soldiers, but that doesn't seem to be the case (Stahlmarkian officers wear pointy hats, right?).

That said, colonists should totally only bury foreign officers and not regular footsoldiers.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens
Burial just seems to confuse my colonists. I've got 6 uncancellable 'Bury Body' jobs that keep flickering between colonists for <1s or so and never getting done.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

YeOldeButchere posted:

Grossherzogtum (whatever that is)

i think it's german for "large director"

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, google translate says "Großherzogtum" is German for Grand Duchy.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

oh i was making a werner herzog joke

aerion111
Nov 29, 2011

Prodigy of Curiosity.
Master of Jacks.
Apprentice of Masks.
And, when fighting the forces of darkness, always remember: "Armor of Darkness, Weapon of Light"

StrangeAeon posted:

Anything I desperately need to know before I start the inevitable chain of failures/prosperous colonies?

I actually want to ask a bit more specific version of this myself, since the answer ('start farming') doesn't seem like it'd help me.

Let's say I'm the kind of person (because I am) who, when playing:
A modded Dwarf Fortress pack thing called 'Mastercraft', my dwarves end up starving because everyone's too busy making bullet-proof cloaks to actually farm - and if I make everyone into a farmer, even if they work nonstop, they eat more than they produce still. And then tigermen come and eat my dwarves because I couldn't spare anyone to make weapons (and the only armor they've got, the cloaks, I sold to buy more food)
'Towns', my workers keep getting stuck in the 'too hungry to make food fast enough, too slow at making food to stop being hungry' loop.
Banished, while I actually didn't have any food problems, I keep bordering on collapse because people never move out of their parent's basements.
Prison Architect, my medium-sec inmates take over the cantina and declare themselves a sovereign nation

So, assuming I always lose control over anything food-related, and when I don't I somehow break the game and make it give me worse food-per-time than it should, and when it doesn't I somehow just plain get the game to hate me.
Assuming I'm that kinda player, what should I know so I can actually play this game and not just watch a starvation simulator?

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Im sad my motherboard poo poo the bed. It's going to be weeks before I can play again.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

aerion111 posted:

and not just watch a starvation simulator?

I think you're looking at the wrong game here.

A bit more seriously, in the current version the difficulty for getting food has been significantly reduced compared to previous versions, so you're in luck. Start a game on the temperate biome (New Antipodea), find a source of stone (there should be one nearby if it's not visible at the start), and then lay down a stockpile close by. Setup the following jobs: mine the stone nodes, chop down some trees (5 to 10 should be enough), and have someone forage for whatever food is nearby (berries or fungus). While this is going on, lay down the blueprint for a carpenter workshop, with a couple of workbenches in it. Then also lay down the blueprint for a kitchen that has 3-6 stone ovens in it. Your starting food stocks should last you for a few days, so you're not in any hurry. Once your carpenter's workshop is ready, assign someone to it and start making planks since you'll need them soon enough. Likewise, once there's a few ovens completed in your kitchen, assign someone to it and tell them to make stew. Stew can be made with just about anything, and the important part is that for every unit of raw food that's used as input, you get at least two units of prepared food as output, which is good as unlike dwarves your colonists don't like to eat nothing but raw mushrooms.

Once you start getting some immigrants and have more manpower and people to feed, setup a farm and start growing cabbage. Until you have work parties that have more than just an overseer in them, though, you should probably stick to foraging for your food since farming tends to be a bit more manpower intensive to get started. Well, that's roughly what I do anyhow. Seems to work well enough.

And remember, if all else fails, your colonists will likely come up with ways of getting food on their own from whatever's around. Like other colonists.

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.

aerion111 posted:

Assuming I'm that kinda player, what should I know so I can actually play this game and not just watch a starvation simulator?
I usually have 1 out of 5 workgroups (military not counted) set to "farming/foraging only". Next to that, I have 1 bakery for the whole settlement. Works out fine with the newer updates.
No idea if it comes crashing down at 100+ colonists, since my game's performance comes crashing down slightly before those numbers.

Don't forget to have food stores, farms and bakery close to eachother; those walking times stack up. Keep enough farm plots for your farmers to work constantly, but not more.

Wipfmetz fucked around with this message at 10:49 on May 31, 2015

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

aerion111 posted:

Shoot fishmen on sight, pick the military squad option when asked for a favour and then eat the flesh of your enemies forever until the game crashes.

FairyNuff fucked around with this message at 11:05 on May 31, 2015

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.

aerion111 posted:

I actually want to ask a bit more specific version of this myself, since the answer ('start farming') doesn't seem like it'd help me. [..]

I recommend the very first thing you build is a Carpentry Workshop, and then area select some trees for chopping. Wooden planks are necessary for literally every construction project except the carpentry itself. While your colonists are busying themselves with construction, draw a stockpile for your various goods. When the Carpentry nears completion, you can start constructing a Kitchen. The earlier you can build a kitchen, the sooner you can start multiplying your food (which is what cooking food does). Personally, I like to build two carpentry workstations and two ovens, for starters. You can always add additional modules to those buildings as they become needed.

Generally speaking, it's wise to resist the urge to queue up a hundred jobs all at once (as you might do in a game like Starcraft) - colonists will, essentially, attempt to complete all queued jobs simultaneously, which means many of them get half-assed, and some of the time-sensitive ones (in particular, tending crops) will spoil. No more than enough jobs to fill the list halfway for now, until you get more crews and more colonists.

That's probably enough to sustain you in the short term, and you can poke around with construction at your leisure. You'll want to draw a farm or two soon, a lower class house to hold a bunch of beds is a good idea, and you'll soon be seeing Fishmen, bandits, and random events.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

aerion111 posted:

Whiny bullshit about sucking

DF:Shut off harder farming on masterwork if you're too bad to play with it.
Towns: is bad.
Banished: They don't move out until you build more houses. Banished is also bad and may as well be considered an abandoned project as he's too busy porting his skeletal game to make more money than to actually add content.
Prison Architect: Learn to play

Have you considered SimTown?

aerion111
Nov 29, 2011

Prodigy of Curiosity.
Master of Jacks.
Apprentice of Masks.
And, when fighting the forces of darkness, always remember: "Armor of Darkness, Weapon of Light"
Hrmm... Mreh, turns out, asking for advice was pointless: Can't play.
I consistently crash when I try to build a Carpenter's Workshop.

nvining
May 30, 2011

aerion111 posted:

Hrmm... Mreh, turns out, asking for advice was pointless: Can't play.
I consistently crash when I try to build a Carpenter's Workshop.

Weird. Try validating your steam download; if that doesn't work, send us an e-mail at contact at gaslamp games dot com (all one word) with the generated DMP file (which you can find, I believe, in your Steam executable path) and your console.txt, so we can take a look at it.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

What causes colonists to seek out drinking laudanum and sulphur tonics? Everytime 1 is made it is drunk instantly yet the people drinking them seem overall ok.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Been trying to get back into this since it's so far along now. What's a good way to plan out your start? I tried following the earlier post that said carpenter->kitchen and it seemed reasonable but my people abjectly refused to sleep on the ground and were getting grumpy, designing a decent common house is a real chore that requires insane amounts of wood, plus you only start out with 6 cloth and I felt like the building was way too big.

I started out with only overseers and no workers too, is that just random? I had a bunch of guys doing odd jobs but eventually I got a bunch of criminals that helped out with that. What's the best way to organize your work teams? An overseer and two workers for a carpenters shop? What are good jobs to enable for workshop teams beside hauling and does the workshop have priority? Food seems a priority but I also found that people seem to ignore stockpiles if they are too far from the resource.

Really enjoying the storyline stuff with the fish people though, things are moving along nicely :)

nvining
May 30, 2011

Geokinesis posted:

What causes colonists to seek out drinking laudanum and sulphur tonics? Everytime 1 is made it is drunk instantly yet the people drinking them seem overall ok.

Being sad, upset, or maddened; characters will drink to relieve their moods. I need to check what we do for the tonics, but that's the basic model and it might be that it affects both alcohol and opiates.

Demiurge4 posted:

Been trying to get back into this since it's so far along now. What's a good way to plan out your start? I tried following the earlier post that said carpenter->kitchen and it seemed reasonable but my people abjectly refused to sleep on the ground and were getting grumpy, designing a decent common house is a real chore that requires insane amounts of wood, plus you only start out with 6 cloth and I felt like the building was way too big.

Start by building a small one, and plan for expansion I think. Carpentry->kitchen is absolutely the way to go, but remember to keep your building constructions manageable. Not everybody will need their own bed to start; eventually the middle class will claim their own beds and that might get interesting fast, whereas the aristocracy will probably claim their own houses... but for now a bed is a bed, although people may get grumpy if they sleep in beds below their station.

Demiurge4 posted:

What are good jobs to enable for workshop teams beside hauling and does the workshop have priority? Food seems a priority but I also found that people seem to ignore stockpiles if they are too far from the resource.

Workshops have priority, in that an overseer assigned to a workshop gets all their non-workshop filters turned off. Stock-piling is still being tuned.

nvining
May 30, 2011

Today's blogpost is on refactoring how the game handles jobs:

https://www.gaslampgames.com/2015/06/03/you-have-to-refactor-all-the-jobs/

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug
An excellent alpha centauri reference hidden inside a tired meme. Now that's dedication.

nvining
May 30, 2011

Ceciltron posted:

An excellent alpha centauri reference hidden inside a tired meme. Now that's dedication.

I am both particularly proud of that one and AMAZED nobody's made that joke before.

(For those of you on our mailing list, The Semifortnightly Aethergraph of Fun and Amusement has been temporarily replaced with The Semifortnightly Aethergraph of Eldritch Terror. We apologize for the disruption in service.)

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Any hope for minimaps, soon? It's not sorely missing, but the placeholder is kinda teasing.

nvining
May 30, 2011

Wipfmetz posted:

Any hope for minimaps, soon? It's not sorely missing, but the placeholder is kinda teasing.

There has actually been an argument made, in office, that we should just take it out and that much of the functionality that would be in a minimap would go just as well in a "go home" beacon. It's not on the list of Revision 40 either way, I'll tell you that much.

nvining
May 30, 2011

Revision 39B has now hit the experimental build featuring Obeliskians (whatever those are), vastly improved workshop handling, and lingonberry jam that is actually edible:

https://community.gaslampgames.com/threads/revision-39b-now-in-experimental-branch.15461/#post-102193

Happy weekend!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

nvining posted:

Revision 39B has now hit the experimental build featuring Obeliskians (whatever those are), vastly improved workshop handling, and lingonberry jam that is actually edible:

https://community.gaslampgames.com/threads/revision-39b-now-in-experimental-branch.15461/#post-102193

Happy weekend!
You too.

quote:

balance: Deathwurms on start position are now shoved to the side

Nice!

• Locked thread