Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.
What's the benefit of Pumpkin Pies, btw? I spend 1 wheat and 1 pumpkin for 1 pie, when I could have 2 bread and 2 stews for the same input.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

Wipfmetz posted:

What's the benefit of Pumpkin Pies, btw? I spend 1 wheat and 1 pumpkin for 1 pie, when I could have 2 bread and 2 stews for the same input.
Presumably food will be classed at some point?

tima
Mar 1, 2001

No longer a newbie

Demiurge4 posted:

Been trying to get back into this since it's so far along now. What's a good way to plan out your start? I tried following the earlier post that said carpenter->kitchen and it seemed reasonable but my people abjectly refused to sleep on the ground and were getting grumpy, designing a decent common house is a real chore that requires insane amounts of wood, plus you only start out with 6 cloth and I felt like the building was way too big.

I started out with only overseers and no workers too, is that just random? I had a bunch of guys doing odd jobs but eventually I got a bunch of criminals that helped out with that. What's the best way to organize your work teams? An overseer and two workers for a carpenters shop? What are good jobs to enable for workshop teams beside hauling and does the workshop have priority? Food seems a priority but I also found that people seem to ignore stockpiles if they are too far from the resource.

Really enjoying the storyline stuff with the fish people though, things are moving along nicely :)

Also just started getting back into it. It's much smoother experience this time around.

A couple of things that are still confusing are: I have no idea where each material comes from, I built a textile factory but didn't realize that I needed a certain plant for it to function for a while.

No idea what side should the structures be and what furniture they need.

I wish once the building is finished it didn't show the required materials and just showed building name (like the furniture does).

Work crews are still a little confusing, you assign each crew to a building but allow them to do some side jobs when they aren't busy? Are you supposed to move them around based on what they are good at or do they get better at the job that they get assigned to initially?

Other then that had a really fun day building my colony!

tima
Mar 1, 2001

No longer a newbie

Talkie Toaster posted:

Presumably food will be classed at some point?

Would be interested if instead of forcing classification, the happiness that you get from the food depends on the variety. So you can sustain yourself just on bread, but get a big bonus from having new food for the first time. Additionally you can have nutrition groups but that's just too complicated.

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.

Wipfmetz posted:

I don't believe there's any benefit, at present. Under the old, disused food system, foods had numeric 'Food Values' that satisfied a colonist's Hunger value, and those expensive compound foods had the highest Food Values. In the current system, cooked foods generate happy memories, and raw foods generate mildly unhappy memories. I imagine all that will eventually be balanced.

tima posted:

Work crews are still a little confusing, you assign each crew to a building but allow them to do some side jobs when they aren't busy? Are you supposed to move them around based on what they are good at or do they get better at the job that they get assigned to initially?

Every colonist has a list of proficiencies in their information, and the overall speed of a Work Crew is determined by its Overseer. Colonists get better at stuff by doing it, so the Crew working in your Kitchen will eventually become your fastest cooks. Whether you want to swap them between Workshops is up to you, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Whether your Work Crews do side jobs depends on the job filters you've enabled in the Work Crew list - all those little buttons beneath the Crew roster are job filters. When a Crew is assigned to a Workshop, the buttons are automatically set to allow only Workshop jobs. I've personally found it's okay to re-enable most of the side jobs, unless you really need them to be working in there 24/7.

nvining
May 30, 2011

tunnels through walls with its odd, rubbery nasal appliance
I am glad to hear that we are making progress! I am also pleased by that Zardoz icon which is just nifty as punch.

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.

nvining posted:

I am glad to hear that we are making progress!
Still no 3rd cat picture.

nvining
May 30, 2011

Wipfmetz posted:

Still no 3rd cat picture.

We've savng them for the development progress portal: http://clockworkempires.com/development.html

All three of my cats are currently represented, and I think we only have one cat on standby right now. One of our programmers has now taken to temporarily housing foster kittens so that we can keep this up. (Meanwhile, I'm still trying to rehouse the cat I rescued from my apartment building, who really needs a single cat house. If anybody in Vancouver would like a lovely animal, who just doesn't like other cats and has been affectionately nicknamed "Cat Drugs" by the office, please let me know.)

Regardless, we can't waste important cat pictures by including them in the binary distribution. Well, unless Steam makes us do it again anyway.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

Important question, how many animals are in the office regularly and how does this enhance the development schedule?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

nvining posted:

There has actually been an argument made, in office, that we should just take it out and that much of the functionality that would be in a minimap would go just as well in a "go home" beacon. It's not on the list of Revision 40 either way, I'll tell you that much.

Honestly, SupComm/Rimworld-style infinite zoom completely obsoletes the classic minimap anyways.

(I have no idea if infinite zoom is planned for CE, but I sure hope so.)

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Just want to say after playing with the new update its really starting to feel like a game now. I've mined up a few interesting things, excited to see what happens!

The troops wandering by and stuff add a ton of life to the game as well i find.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

ToxicFrog posted:

Honestly, SupComm/Rimworld-style infinite zoom completely obsoletes the classic minimap anyways.

(I have no idea if infinite zoom is planned for CE, but I sure hope so.)

The wargame series has infinite zoom, but I still use the minimao extensively. Granted clockwork empires doesn't require snap reactions so much, but a minimap that lets you examine an area close in on your screen whilst simultaneously keeping an eye on the overall situation is still very useful, infinite zoom or not.

Of course, possibly CE wants to actively restrict your ability to know everything, which is fair enough, but that's a very fine line between good gameplay and frustration.

Density
Nov 12, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
This game could use multiple (2) work shifts so my overseers can yell at each other/go to church without shutting down an entire industry.

It'd be a novel mechanic though. I can't say I've played a game with actual work schedules.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Do cats scare away the fish people?

ToxicFrog posted:

Not quite, if you zoom in you're completely blind to what happens elsewhere. It's a lot faster and easier to just glance at another part of the screen than to zoom out and back in to continue doing whatever you're doing that requires close sight.

nvining
May 30, 2011

Today's blog post: David keeps working on factions!

https://www.gaslampgames.com/2015/06/10/political-change-through-faction-crises/

(Don't ask what I'm doing, mainly stability and bugfixing stuff right now...)

nvining
May 30, 2011

Revision 39C has now hit the experimental build, complete with more beatings and long pork:

https://community.gaslampgames.com/threads/revision-39c-now-in-experimental-branch.15660/#post-102503

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.
There's a comment in the Steam Discussion forum where one guy mentions his solution to excessive Sleeping Due to Sadness was not to build beds. Although that particular behaviour has now been balanced, that's some pretty diabolical lateral thinking.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Zaardvark posted:

There's a comment in the Steam Discussion forum where one guy mentions his solution to excessive Sleeping Due to Sadness was not to build beds. Although that particular behaviour has now been balanced, that's some pretty diabolical lateral thinking.

Truly a solution worthy of the modern colonial industrialist.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens
Hm. How is negotiation with Fishmen supposed to go? They keep sending envoy parties, who then attack my crops and get hassled off. I don't have the option to switch to allowing crop destruction or to switch to the 'kill 'em all' policy either...

nvining
May 30, 2011

Revision 39D is now in the Experimental Branch, fixing minor bugs with 39C (including module renovation not working.)

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"

Hello Sailor posted:

Truly a solution worthy of the modern colonial industrialist.

This game is getting a little too real.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

I bought this game yesterday and have been having a blast with it so far, it's a lot more polished than I was expecting for an early access thing. I do have two questions though, firstly, is there any way to rename work crews, or secondly, is there any way to speed up the game?

nvining
May 30, 2011

Radiation Cow posted:

I bought this game yesterday and have been having a blast with it so far, it's a lot more polished than I was expecting for an early access thing. I do have two questions though, firstly, is there any way to rename work crews, or secondly, is there any way to speed up the game?

Awesome! Please tell your friends that we are now polished, and thank you for buying the one game on Steam that isn't actually on sale this week. In answer to your questions:

1) is on the TODO list, mainly so we can have ridiculous LPs here;
2) is not on the TODO list at present, as the simulation basically takes as much time as it takes to update.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

nvining posted:

1) is on the TODO list, mainly so we can have ridiculous LPs here;
Gee, I wonder how that will affect sales. :homebrew:

nvining
May 30, 2011

Poil posted:

Gee, I wonder how that will affect sales. :homebrew:

"What do you mean, the overseer is named 'Leperfish'?"

nvining
May 30, 2011

Revision 39E now up on the Experimental Branch, with much less horrifying memory corruption.

nvining
May 30, 2011

Today's development blog: what actually happens when you send us crashes (oh, and why the game is more stable now):

https://www.gaslampgames.com/2015/06/17/hunting-the-pointer-wumpus/

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
I think my favorite part about bugs like those is that you can't use a debug build of the game to make debugging easier because that changes your timing and makes the bug go away. And when you're not using a debug build, your debugger starts lying to you constantly because it can't figure out what kind of optimizations the compiler did. So depending on the nature of the bug, you might be left with the unenviable option of going through the assembly instruction by instruction to figure out where you really are, and how exactly you've managed to get there. This is especially bad on consoles because the compilers base their optimizations on the fact that the hardware is fixed. So your simple function with a loop and two arithmetic operations somehow ends up containing 6 conditional jumps to various parts of other functions, and a bunch of vector instructions because the compiler figured out that this would make more effective use of the instruction cache or reduce branch mispredictions or who the gently caress knows what. :shepicide:

Anyhow, I'm happy that's been fixed. It happened to me a couple of times, and it pretty much led to me losing interest in the game for a little while each time.

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.
I have written up the most useful Steam Guide ever.

Hats: A Study in Fishman Anthropology. (Or is that Ichthyology?)

link: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=463693640

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

quote:

Due to E3 and a giant Steam sale there’s not a lot of point in releasing anything this week.
Wisdom

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Zaardvark posted:

I have written up the most useful Steam Guide ever.

Hats: A Study in Fishman Anthropology. (Or is that Ichthyology?)

link: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=463693640

I do hope the humans in the future in this game get a wonderful selection of head gear too!

nvining
May 30, 2011

Revision 40 is up! Beware THE REACTIVATION OF ASSEMBLAGE 14538:

(For those of you hesitant to join the fun because of stability issues, this one is very, very stable, and has all sorts of wonderful new stuff added. I'm really happy with it.)

Oh yeah, links. Full changelog since Rev 39 here: https://www.gaslampgames.com/2015/06/24/clockwork-empires-june-update-the-reactivation-of-assemblage-14538/

Updated CE development progress portal here: http://clockworkempires.com/development.html

nvining fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jun 24, 2015

Gooses and Geeses
Jan 1, 2005

OH GOD WHY DIDN'T I LISTEN?
I'm finding getting sand to be a pain in the arse.

It takes forever to get someone down to explore the beach.

Is there another way I'm missing?

nvining
May 30, 2011

Gooses and Geeses posted:

"Welcome to Dwarf Fortress! the Colonies!"

That said, I think that some of this will change about a bit once we have real biomes and starting locations from the menu, and not just fixed starting colonies.

nvining fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jun 24, 2015

Gooses and Geeses
Jan 1, 2005

OH GOD WHY DIDN'T I LISTEN?
Maybe a pile of sand near the spawn points would be very helpful...

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

"volumetric blueprints"?

nvining
May 30, 2011

Wipfmetz posted:

"volumetric blueprints"?

The blueprints are now volumes, not projected onto the ground, so that you can see the area that the actual foundation will occupy. In other words, theyr'e now solids. It feels more satisfying and just seems like a better idea (but it still needs some sound effects and maybe a little polish at various intervals.)

thepaladin4488
Oct 28, 2010

Not that it helps with the lack of sand, or if you are using this method or not, but open the Work Crews page, goto Military, and click the "Set squad rally point" button and use that to explore places instead of the main "Explore" command.

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.

Also, if you're friends with the Fishmen, the otherwise dubious 'gifts' they bring you frequently include sand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mirarant
Dec 18, 2012

Post or die
Version 40 seems super steady, at least compared to earlier versions. 45 colonists, 35 days and no crashes so far.

So far I've run into a couple of script errors with foreign corpses which seems to be a reported issue on the official forums as well. A few other problems have cropped up too: sometimes soldiers retreat in place and keep doing so for a long time, colonists get stuck in place and are starving, and repairing seems to be slow (no material/repairer arriving).

Now if I could only find some Obeliskians.. for Science of course.

• Locked thread