Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.

LonsomeSon posted:

I would however like to be able to replace NCOs by some means other than (I assume anyway, I have yet to have this happen) good immigration luck. In my very first game, my NCO was Doomed from the start and actually the only colonist to be killed in three weeks, and in the next game my NCO formed a work crew which had a military name, but refused to wear a uniform, take rally point orders, or fight when all of the nearby bandit camps raided me at once. She did get good at cooking, though, before her death. Anyway thread, please tell me that I'm overlooking something obvious!

with Alpha 42, the way to get NCOs is to build a Barracks building, and assign a Work Crew there. The Overseer will become a militia NCO, and her crewmates become militia (all in browncoats). They will spend time doing pushups and marching, and when they have enough memories of training, they graduate up to Redcoats (which makes them better soldiers).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nvining
May 30, 2011

tunnels through walls with its odd, rubbery nasal appliance
Today's blogpost is writ in a manner,
suggestive of old Viking Saga.
It might have been a mistake -
I've got quite the headache,
because of the trochaic tetrameter.

https://www.gaslampgames.com/2015/09/02/technical-progress-updates-as-viking-saga-or-the-kalevining/

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

nvining posted:

Today's blogpost is writ in a manner,
suggestive of old Viking Saga.
It might have been a mistake -
I've got quite the headache,
because of the trochaic tetrameter.

https://www.gaslampgames.com/2015/09/02/technical-progress-updates-as-viking-saga-or-the-kalevining/

I was never more glad to spend 30$ on a game that I barely played. This alone is worth the price, and makes you much better than any AAA-company.

nvining
May 30, 2011

We aim to get you your money's worth. That said, why haven't you played it? Just waiting for the complete product?

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Like TorakFade I haven't played much. Mainly because a lot of the early concept work had piping and train tracks and stuff that looked really cool. I've mainly been watching those LP the new update things that were posted in this thread and the game looks great so far, but I'm waiting for some of the neat early concept stuff to really start making it in before I pick it up and start playing.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

nvining posted:

We aim to get you your money's worth. That said, why haven't you played it? Just waiting for the complete product?

I'm not playing it right now because it runs like a 1 legged mule on my laptop and my desktop is packed.

I'm not mad though - I know that optimization is pretty pointless during development.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
I bought it really early on but got frustrated by the inability to remove... Something. Walls maybe? Or maybe storage areas. It was something small but my sperginess/ocd couldn't handle it.

That said I dont regret buying it all, and its probably been fixed by now.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

nvining posted:

Yes mostly that, I really like the game but I don't want to burn out on early access; I just log in now and then, build giant houses and watch my colonists fantasize about murdering their fellows for an hour or so. Lots of fun!

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Today we hit Peak Blog

nvining
May 30, 2011

Kris xK posted:

I bought it really early on but got frustrated by the inability to remove... Something. Walls maybe? Or maybe storage areas. It was something small but my sperginess/ocd couldn't handle it.

That said I dont regret buying it all, and its probably been fixed by now.

Buildings, modules, zones and stockpiles can now all be removed. Gabions can't be removed yet. I know this one pissed a lot of people off, which is incredibly surprising to me because I don't have that particular set of OCD tendencies, so I was shocked at the number of complaints we got. Then we fixed it and suddenly it was quiet again.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

One thing that I miss from this simulator is the ability to build ridiculous structures in a short of dwarf fortress/mine craft fashion. To have my small colony build a ridiculous castle so to speak.

No matter, it is it's own thing and fun regardless

nvining
May 30, 2011

Goodpancakes posted:

One thing that I miss from this simulator is the ability to build ridiculous structures in a short of dwarf fortress/mine craft fashion. To have my small colony build a ridiculous castle so to speak.

No matter, it is it's own thing and fun regardless

Well, this was the original goal of having the freeform building creator. Certainly there will be other Walling Structures besides gabions, and I know people are enthused about roads/pipes/whatever. Our building interface is certainly good enough to make an obscene image with, but I agree we could use more of this.

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.

nvining posted:

Well, this was the original goal of having the freeform building creator. Certainly there will be other Walling Structures besides gabions, and I know people are enthused about roads/pipes/whatever. Our building interface is certainly good enough to make an obscene image with, but I agree we could use more of this.

Ah, the good old 'will this penis?' test.

nvining
May 30, 2011

Zaardvark posted:

I know our audience. And yes, yes it will, as long as it doesn't have ovens sticking out of the corners.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Zaardvark posted:

Civ V passes.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

nvining posted:

Well, I'm definitely interested in the UI things as well. Let's hear 'em!

UI might not be the right word but these issues, but I can't think of an alternative term at the moment. It might just be my computer, but I also ran into a few weird graphical glitches and other wonky things as well. Some of these might be works in progress and I apologize if I'm regurgitating.

1 - At the Colonial Embarkation screen, the arrow defaults to New Antipodia. If you click on the map icon, the name changes to New Antipodea. Nothing major, just thought it was funny.

2- The first one for gameplay reasons would be having the ability to remove foundations after you've clicked done but haven't added modules yet. As it stands now, if you made a mistake in shaping you have to wait for the building to be built and then wait for the building to be demolished. You should be able to click on the foundation and have a demolish icon until a module gets built.

3 - I should be able to tell my milita/soldiers/NCO to pick up guns. For some reason they prioritize pistols and love to run back and forth dropping them around the camp. Which I don't have a problem with. But they seem to refuse to pick up long arms and I have no way currently to tell them too. So they keep dying to superior arms despite the stockpile of guns I have.

Glitches(?):

1 - After awhile, my NCO in control of my barracks will spontaneously transform into a basic standard overseer. They stay in command of my NCO group, but lose the "Set Rally Point" ability and I can't toggle it on. If I switch the owner of the barracks for a second and then switch back, they turn back into an NCO. However, all Footsoldiers that trained up under the NCO suddenly turn back into militia Footsoldiers and are no longer able to train back up to regulars. They still fight like regulars though. Trying to get a picture of this one happening. It doesn't happen every time.

2 - After awhile, one of my buildings will spontaneously become translucent and the floor will be replaced with grass. The foundation still exists and all modules in the building still exist and can be used. However, I cannot click on the building anymore nor can I add modules to the building. Reloading doesn't help and basically the building is useless in most case. Sometimes they will still let me click on them to change orders, etc, but more often than not it won't.

I have some pictures of it happening almost immediately after placing the Ceramics shop. I could still click on it at least. I then tried placing my Smith next to it and couldn't use it. Still let me use the Ceramics though. Also everyone stopped attempting to install modules at this point in the Smith.

That all being said, I'm really looking forward to this game. I like the interaction between colonists which I don't feel is really present in Rimworld.

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot

Reason posted:

Like TorakFade I haven't played much. Mainly because a lot of the early concept work had piping and train tracks and stuff that looked really cool. I've mainly been watching those LP the new update things that were posted in this thread and the game looks great so far, but I'm waiting for some of the neat early concept stuff to really start making it in before I pick it up and start playing.

This, and the actual lovecraftian horrors are what I'm waiting for. Colony sims are a dime a dozen, show me the horrific monsters.

nvining
May 30, 2011

Aww man, this is all you've got? These are easy!

Stretch Marx posted:

1 - At the Colonial Embarkation screen, the arrow defaults to New Antipodia. If you click on the map icon, the name changes to New Antipodea. Nothing major, just thought it was funny.

Fixed for revision 42D.

quote:

2- The first one for gameplay reasons would be having the ability to remove foundations after you've clicked done but haven't added modules yet. As it stands now, if you made a mistake in shaping you have to wait for the building to be built and then wait for the building to be demolished. You should be able to click on the foundation and have a demolish icon until a module gets built.

You're on the non-experimental build, aren't you? :) This was fixed in either 42B or C, I don't remember.

quote:

3 - I should be able to tell my milita/soldiers/NCO to pick up guns. For some reason they prioritize pistols and love to run back and forth dropping them around the camp. Which I don't have a problem with. But they seem to refuse to pick up long arms and I have no way currently to tell them too. So they keep dying to superior arms despite the stockpile of guns I have.

This one is currently being worked on.

quote:

1 - After awhile, my NCO in control of my barracks will spontaneously transform into a basic standard overseer. They stay in command of my NCO group, but lose the "Set Rally Point" ability and I can't toggle it on. If I switch the owner of the barracks for a second and then switch back, they turn back into an NCO. However, all Footsoldiers that trained up under the NCO suddenly turn back into militia Footsoldiers and are no longer able to train back up to regulars. They still fight like regulars though. Trying to get a picture of this one happening. It doesn't happen every time.

I believe this was fixed in the experimental branch; it's certainly a known issue that David is chasing.

quote:

2 - After awhile, one of my buildings will spontaneously become translucent and the floor will be replaced with grass. The foundation still exists and all modules in the building still exist and can be used. However, I cannot click on the building anymore nor can I add modules to the building. Reloading doesn't help and basically the building is useless in most case. Sometimes they will still let me click on them to change orders, etc, but more often than not it won't.

This is the famous "don't put things in the corners of your buildings" bug, which people seem to be complaining more about these days. It's been in since the start of Early Access since I have yet to find the time to do the deep, horrifying mathematics and debugging necessary to fix it. At this point I think I'm going to do it sooner rather than later just because we're getting a lot of complaints about it (probably because more things are working now, naturally.)

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

nvining posted:

You're on the non-experimental build, aren't you? :) This was fixed in either 42B or C, I don't remember.

I purchased off Steam, so I'm running whatever version that is currently. So probably not. Honestly that was one of my biggest cripes currently. Otherwise, I'm just waiting for the features to show up.

quote:

This is the famous "don't put things in the corners of your buildings" bug, which people seem to be complaining more about these days. It's been in since the start of Early Access since I have yet to find the time to do the deep, horrifying mathematics and debugging necessary to fix it. At this point I think I'm going to do it sooner rather than later just because we're getting a lot of complaints about it (probably because more things are working now, naturally.)

This might also explain the other graphical glitch I've run into where placing doors on buildings will sometimes result with the door being placed correctly, but the gap in the wall is always off by a space. You can see through the gap inside, but colonists continue to pass through the doorway (which is in the wall) and ignore the gap. I've noticed it does it more often if I put the door in the corner.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

nvining posted:

Buildings, modules, zones and stockpiles can now all be removed. Gabions can't be removed yet. I know this one pissed a lot of people off, which is incredibly surprising to me because I don't have that particular set of OCD tendencies, so I was shocked at the number of complaints we got. Then we fixed it and suddenly it was quiet again.
Um, you do know that your game falls within the most autistic genre there is, right?

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

gently caress the ROW posted:

This, and the actual lovecraftian horrors are what I'm waiting for. Colony sims are a dime a dozen, show me the horrific monsters.

This, please. Watching colonists think about cultist murder and summoning Quaggaroth is fun, watching them actually do so will be amazing.

Bettik
Jan 28, 2008

Space-age Rock Star
I love following this game and bought it basically day 1 but haven't played it much yet either. Partially that is to avoid burning out on an early access release of a game that'll be much more satisfying later, and partially because my goal in these sorts of games is to build Enormous Sprawling Industry (think Tekkit mod for Minecraft or Factorio, stuff like that) and it doesn't seem like a lot of that sort of thing is in yet.

I do check in on new builds occasionally though just because I love the art style and it's always rad to see your little people run around building things.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

So now that I have both worked out how to mass-produce firearms and was given the hot tip about what the barracks actually does, my colonies have become virtually invulnerable to attack once I've accumulated enough upstanding citizens to throw into the meat grinder noble combat against the howling savages of the frontier, who hate us for our civilization. Also, as a military veteran, I find the system where militia soldiers have to do X number of push-ups in order to become professional soldiers exceptionally apt.

Now, based on my most recent experience, putting beds into the Barracks results in whoever went looking first sleeping there. Is there any reason why I shouldn't just build multiple Barracks filled with Delightful, Enticing Cots instead of lower-class bunkhouses? I'd rather avoid redundancy where possible.

Also, is there a quick guide as to how many rugged frontiersfolk one should have assigned per X area of farms? At this point, other than smallish plots for flax and opium, I'm basically only growing large amounts of maize due to its ability to be either stewed or brewed into Refreshing Beverages. For that matter, I've been putting down 6x6 farms based on something dimly remembered from Earlier in the Release; is there some kind of Optimal Farm Size? It seems that a single work crew can do assignments on multiple fields; is there any disadvantage to larger/very large farms? The farm layout tool, at least for me, semi-regularly glitches and results in a farm which is one tile smaller than the footprint I drew.

I've been having the floor of my kitchen disappear every game, and in retrospect it's because I changed my default kitchen layout to 5x3 with the ovens all on the rear wall...though I typically stash my initial stone crucible and charcoal furnace in a single corner of my Metalworks, in order to leave room for Progress!, without Floor Transparency issues.

Which I guess is a good segue into the burning question: do upgraded modules allow colonists to work faster, or break less often, or any benefit other than style (which is of course worth pursuing for its own sake, but not in advance of carbines and revolvers)?

e: vvvv you're like my hero and poo poo. If ever I encounter a living human being with a Steam account and who is on the fence about CE, I'm going to buy them an Early Access copy just on principle. ee: my barracks-as-bunkhouses question wasn't supposed to be a dig at you and yours, I was actually asking a threadful of theoretical power gamers if they've found a downside to doing that.

eee: I figured they would eventually provide a benefit, but am informed that for now substantially increased Murder Flavors is a more worthwhile pursuit. Because, even if they're just for style, stylish killing tools have always been more appealing to me than stylish constructive tools!

LonsomeSon fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Sep 4, 2015

nvining
May 30, 2011

LonsomeSon posted:

So now that I have both worked out how to mass-produce firearms and was given the hot tip about what the barracks actually does, my colonies have become virtually invulnerable to attack once I've accumulated enough upstanding citizens to throw into the meat grinder noble combat against the howling savages of the frontier, who hate us for our civilization. Also, as a military veteran, I find the system where militia soldiers have to do X number of push-ups in order to become professional soldiers exceptionally apt.

Now, based on my most recent experience, putting beds into the Barracks results in whoever went looking first sleeping there. Is there any reason why I shouldn't just build multiple Barracks filled with Delightful, Enticing Cots instead of lower-class bunkhouses? I'd rather avoid redundancy where possible.

One day, hopefully soon, I will finish the property claiming system. When this day comes, this won't happen.

quote:

Also, is there a quick guide as to how many rugged frontiersfolk one should have assigned per X area of farms? At this point, other than smallish plots for flax and opium, I'm basically only growing large amounts of maize due to its ability to be either stewed or brewed into Refreshing Beverages. For that matter, I've been putting down 6x6 farms based on something dimly remembered from Earlier in the Release; is there some kind of Optimal Farm Size? It seems that a single work crew can do assignments on multiple fields; is there any disadvantage to larger/very large farms? The farm layout tool, at least for me, semi-regularly glitches and results in a farm which is one tile smaller than the footprint I drew.

I will look into the footprint thing for you, I can do that. It should feel solid, I agree. I don't know what the official best farm strategy is; the only person who knows is Chris, and he's not telling. I just make a lot of pumpkins and this seems to get me to the point where I can test whatever I am testing.

quote:

Which I guess is a good segue into the burning question: do upgraded modules allow colonists to work faster, or break less often, or any benefit other than style (which is of course worth pursuing for its own sake, but not in advance of carbines and revolvers)?

Again, they will produce more goods and let you work faster; however, we're not quite there yet. Soooonnn....

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.

LonsomeSon posted:

[..]

Farming is currently more of an art than a science at present. Two revisions ago, plants all grew at the same rate and had the same output, and each plant ultimately yielded four meals. Flash forward to the present: plants have varying growth rates, varying yields, and will now only produce one meal per planting. A workable general strategy seems to be to survive on high-yield labour intensive crops (chilli peppers, cabbage), transition through medium crops (pumpkin), and finally go all in on wheat (highest yield), maintaining small patches for utility crops (opium, flax). There's no functional difference between several small farms and a single large farm - make them as large as possible, juuust short of spoilage due to insufficient labour. Personal experience says a colony of 60 will require approximately half its Work Crews to do nothing but farm, in order to sustain a wheat crop large enough to feed everyone with only a little bit of starvation.

Upgraded modules will complete their jobs faster - small ovens will cook much faster than stone ovens, for example. The same goes for all those modules in the Metalworks. I don't believe they break any more or less frequently. Weapon upgrades, specifically, are always beneficial. Depending on the weapon, it may improve damage, range, or reload speed, so you may actually find it necessary to buff your military before you worry about kitchen efficiency.

Citrus Sky
Sep 30, 2012
Just bought this game yesterday, and it's been fun so far! But I had a few (well, a lot) of questions.

1.) What is the cube of meat for? My colonists can't seem to cook and eat it. I did see a bandit using one to shoot at someone though.
2.) How do you smelt the scrap iron that the fishpeople bring?
3.) I built a mine by placing a small building over a coal node and adding a mine module to it, but it's not functional. Any tips on how to build a functioning mine?
4.) How do you get the militia to defend against bandits? When bandits attack, my militia just goes about their business... usually sleeping, despite the panicked screams of people getting stabbed to death just meters away. The "set rally point" button doesn't seem to do anything.
5.) Is there a good way to keep giant beetles out of crops? My colonists will chase them away if I command them to hunt the giant beetles, but then they chase the beetles all over the map and the hunt command can't be cancelled.
6.) Is there a way to assign specific laborers to specific work parties? A menu where you could see a list of laborers with their traits, and drag and drop people into work parties that suit them, would be really useful.
7.) Is there a way to assign a particular work group to construct a building? My colonists always neglect building construction.
8.) I've noted several items in my stockpile that the colonists don't ever seem to use. They're listed in the commodities menu also, but it's as if they're not there. Is this a known bug?
9.) What does the Vicar do? I built a chapel and assigned a colonist as the vicar, but he never holds services.
10.) Is there a way to expand a building, farm or cemetery without demolishing the old one and starting over?

Thanks for your help!

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.

Citrus Sky posted:

Just bought this game yesterday, and it's been fun so far! But I had a few (well, a lot) of questions.

[list of questions]

Thanks for your help!

1) The cube of meat currently has no function. Just a friendly gift from your fishy neighbours, like a potted plant.
2) Your metalworkers will autonomously grab bushels of scrap whenever they would grab raw hematite ore out of your stockpile, no input needed.
3) A mine should start producing ore when you assign a Crew to work in there. Make sure their job filters (accessed via the Work Crew menu) allow them to do mining jobs.
4) Setting a rally point may actually be complicated things, because Rallying can sometimes have a higher priority than attacking or hunting. Try cancelling the Rally marker after they've arrived.
5) It's generally not necessary to actively hunt the beetles destroying your cornfield - after a short delay, everyone in range will shoot, punch, or stomp on beetles.
6) It used to be possible to drag and drop colonists between Crews, but that was removed when the Work Crew interface changed (and it changed because having to draw the faces of literally every colonist was causing severe lag), so, who knows if it's coming back. It would be nice, but not at the price of bogging the simulation down.
7) You can fiddle with job filters to prohibit a Crew from doing anything but construction jobs, if you like. Similarly, you can prohibit other crews from doing construction.
8) I suspect the stockpiles sometimes list items that are not physically present at the site (commonly, phantom steak from an aurochs that died a long way away).
9) The Vicar has several jobs, although they're easy to miss, because generally, they look like someone standing around and talking: he / she will do stuff like taking confession from others, giving sermons, and praying. Generally speaking, these will help create positive memories and maintain colony morale. Unless your vicar is also an insane cultist, in which case, the opposite of everything I just said.
10) Nope, expanding things generally requires demolishing the old thing first.

Zaardvark fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Sep 7, 2015

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Surround your crops with short Gabions. Leave one or two opening towards the closest building. Giant beetles (and Aurochs) seem to get confused with that.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I REALLY want a medical building of some sort. My soldiers are only good for about one or two engagements before they are worthless.

I would also like it if when I assigned a group to the barracks, if they would bloody well sleep there!

I have also noticed in my longest running game yet that after 50 colonists things get very chuggy.

And I really wish the quality of food kept people full longer. I have an expert cook! Her meat pies should be AMAZING.

Deadmeat5150 fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Sep 8, 2015

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011

Deadmeat5150 posted:

And I really wish the quality of food kept people full longer. I have an expert cook! Her meat pies should be AMAZING.
Why do you think they come back for more all the time?

I really need to play this a bit more with the recent changes. I'm in the same boat of not wanting to spoil the finished version when everything has been put in; I know if I really start to dig in I'll basically binge play until I'm burnt out.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
There should be a Barber Shop which also does minor surgery on the side as well as a dedicated doctor group/hospital building.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Alright so a few mores thoughts on my recently ended colony:

• Military should prioritize weaponry. I ended the colony (well Bandits ended it for me) with two full squads of redcoats and almost every one of them was using either a musket or a pistol. I had at least 5 revolvers and 3 carbines in the stockpile and none were utilized.

• Military are still building uberguns, but no longer using them. My primary NCO has two pistol and a jezail on her back. One of the redcoats had three muskets, a blunderbuss, and a jezail on his back. Why are they collecting guns!? Put those down! Other soldiers need them!

• NCO Skill in The Art of War should be visually indicated by headwear. This should be obvious. A brand new NCO with no experience might wear a simple shako with a single red feather. An Expert NCO might have a brilliant crimson shako, one of he tall ones with fuzzy bits and a big bunch of red and gold feathers on the top.

• Military Training area. My poor militia recruits kept getting clobbered by boxes dropped by passing Airships. I set up an airship mast on the edge of the colony to try and alleviate this, and the bastards started to train over there! I would love it if there was a way to designate a Drill Square or something for the military to train in. And a firing range. A firing range would rock.

• Holy Food Production Batman! I had two fully staffed kitchens cranking out food as fast as I could, working in shifts too, and I could not even begin to keep up with the demand for food. Five farming overseers, fully staff, worked around the clock to make sure the farming was constantly being done, and they couldn't keep up. Dude... wow.

• Holy Bandits Batman! I just want to note that I totally did not expect the bands of bandits I had basically been ignoring to band together and crush my colony the way they did. Wow that was awesome. All of a sudden 30+ bandits swarm from all sides and stomp my butt into the dust. My mouth must have been hanging open for a good 5 minutes afterward.

• Meat pies are people! Selective cannibalism. Why can't I choose to have my cooks slice up those delicious looking bandit corpses and serve them?

• Culling Cultists. Ok not real culling, but if I want to feed long pork to my colonists (Muahahahahaha) maybe there could be a way for me to selectively put cultists in the kitchen.

• Military squad selection. Unless I'm blind, this seems to have gone away. How am I supposed to quickly select my fine squads of Her Majesty's Troops if I have to scroll through a dozen other schlubs?

Alright that's all I've got

SeanBeansShako posted:

There should be a Barber Shop which also does minor surgery on the side as well as a dedicated doctor group/hospital building.

This would make getting a cultist barber an... interesting thing. Sweeney Todd?

Deadmeat5150 fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Sep 8, 2015

Citrus Sky
Sep 30, 2012
Thanks for the tips! I got my mines working, and tried the gabions around the crops. Of course after building them, not a beetle to be seen!

I have the same problem as Deadmeat, that my soldiers don't use optimal guns. Or they'll drop them somewhere and not be able to find them again, even though they left it right on the floor of a building where everyone in the colony has to step over it every day (and are probably complaining about the regiment leaving their clutter around everywhere).

It would also be nice to be able to order a senior NCO to visit for a few days to train the troops - maybe using some prestige points, like you do for an artisan. It could give an extra bonus to the troop skill level, and help balance out all the bandit raids.

I agree that keeping the food supply up is a constant struggle. This area could use some balancing, I think.

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

Today's blogpost talks about what we're doing with the UI and showing information better to players:
https://www.gaslampgames.com/2015/09/09/willy-wonka-toto-or-something-to-do-with-a-sausage-factory/

nvining
May 30, 2011

Revision 42D has hit the experimental branch! (Yes, the Mac build should be working again.)

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
Wait did you take away the workhouse population start? :argh: That was my favourite one by far.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Man you guys must be busy as hell. I think this is the first nvining hasn't popped in to comment on people's observations.

nvining
May 30, 2011

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Man you guys must be busy as hell. I think this is the first nvining hasn't popped in to comment on people's observations.

Actually, I was doing my laundry. That said, I'm working through a handful of crash bugs right now and will probably prep a hotfix.

The worst thing is - a bunch of my new office stuff isn't quite baked enough yet to get into 42D. I don't know if it will make it into 43 either, but look for it soon. Should be exciting to have working barbershops and stuff.

Rydash
Dec 23, 2011

You got a real problem in here, gonna cost ya extra.
Given the wide variety of stuff any given set of patch notes seem to cover, how do you decide what to work on at a given moment? Ticket priority? Personal interest level? Degree of victory with the feature/design in any given Knife Fight? Other?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nvining
May 30, 2011

I put up a small hotfix, Revision 42E, which fixes the game stalling sometimes with certain progress bars appearing. Otherwise, it's identical to 42D.

Rydash posted:

Given the wide variety of stuff any given set of patch notes seem to cover, how do you decide what to work on at a given moment? Ticket priority? Personal interest level? Degree of victory with the feature/design in any given Knife Fight? Other?

A mixture of the above. We do about two-week sprints, and occasionally other stuff will just naturally get done as part of that sprint.

• Locked thread