Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
The game lagging horribly at 50+ colonists is really quite irritating. This last colony reached 98 colonists before the lag me quit playing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Stretch Marx posted:

I purchased off Steam, so I'm running whatever version that is currently. So probably not. Honestly that was one of my biggest cripes currently. Otherwise, I'm just waiting for the features to show up.

You can right click games in steam and change versions in there.

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.

Deadmeat5150 posted:

The game lagging horribly at 50+ colonists is really quite irritating. This last colony reached 98 colonists before the lag me quit playing.

You might have been experiencing a lag bug that was introduced to 42D, give it another try, that specific problem was (probably) fixed with 42E.

nvining
May 30, 2011

tunnels through walls with its odd, rubbery nasal appliance

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Zaardvark posted:

You might have been experiencing a lag bug that was introduced to 42D, give it another try, that specific problem was (probably) fixed with 42E.

Alternately, if it's a particularly slow save send it to me (by the usual channels!) and I'll see where it's bottlenecking. I'm still optimizing the stockpile code furiously, but it looks like I'll need to do another pass in the near future.

nvining
May 30, 2011

Lagginess of the work crew window has been fixed. Running at 90+ colonists just seems a bit slow right now due to a lack of optimization in general; I will do an optimization pass for Alpha 44.

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.

nvining posted:

Lagginess of the work crew window has been fixed. Running at 90+ colonists just seems a bit slow right now due to a lack of optimization in general; I will do an optimization pass for Alpha 44.
Thank you. That has been bothering me for quite some time.

nvining
May 30, 2011

Alpha 43 of Clockwork Empires is now on Steam, a little number we call:

https://www.gaslampgames.com/2015/09/16/clockwork-empires-september-update-the-terrible-truth/

Changes since Revision 42: new stockpile and workshop code, new office code, work shifts controllable by time of day, dissections of [REDACTED], new character info panel (still a bit of a WIP but whatever), and another bazillion bugfixes.

Oh, and you probably don't want your vicar to join a cult now.

nvining
May 30, 2011

Also, as a general policy: if you have crash dumps, or save games that are weirdly slow - send me the darned things! We can fix these, but only if we get a good look at them.

nvining
May 30, 2011

Quiet around these parts. Have a blog post, wherein we all have strange moods and add terrible offices:

https://www.gaslampgames.com/2015/09/23/strange-moods-at-gaslamp-games/

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Nicholas once again you are incredibly awesome. Give my thanks to the boys.

I still want to see some shakos in the future!

Death by Chickens
Jan 12, 2012
I demand cat pictures in every blog post (I know the team is holding out on us). If Gaslamp does not comply I will continue to read all of your updates, but grudgingly so.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Deadmeat5150 posted:

I still want to see some shakos in the future!

We cannot lose the silly hat war to fish peoples and common foreigners! WE JUST CANNOT.

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.
Steps, yay! Are you planning on having dynamic light at any point, for the lamp decorations?

nvining
May 30, 2011

Wipfmetz posted:

Steps, yay! Are you planning on having dynamic light at any point, for the lamp decorations?

Yes, once I decide what I want to do about lights being inside vs. outside the house. I haven't decided yet.

nvining
May 30, 2011

Alpha 43A now in experimental build, featuring public houses, barbers, and (shockingly!) a fix for buildings exploding when you put ovens in their corners:

https://community.gaslampgames.com/threads/alpha-43a-now-in-experimental-branch.16394/#post-106800

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
But are there new hats?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I'm slightly excited about a Fishpeople Convoy.

Deadmeat5150 posted:

But are there new hats?
Hats are serious business, especially that they are unique.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Someone else knows about Voltaire? :psyduck:

I thought I was alone.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
Just a quick question I have someone that goes to the barbershop after the barber has gone to sleep just about every day. Is this because the code has him seeking treatment as a low priority so he's wanting for the end of his workshift (if so I think it needs to be changed) or is it because I have my barber assigned to other tasks so he's not idle while nobody needs treatment (in which case is the barber going to get more tasks so there's not a workcrew that's idle most of the time)?

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I scheduled my barber to be active at night and sleep in the morning so he would be available to the majority of my dudes.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Just popping out to the all night barber. That doesn't sound suspicious at all.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

resistentialism posted:

Sounds like a wonderful excuse to go grave robbing!

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.
The neighbours popped by to drop off a casserole.

A fisherson casserole, that is.

Rydash
Dec 23, 2011

You got a real problem in here, gonna cost ya extra.
I'm here to express my great awe for the modules in corners fix. Well done!

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
No more unnatural geometries!

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.

resistentialism posted:

Is your avatar a Roger the Homunculus Playmobil figure?

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

resistentialism posted:

Nah, it's legit. Right next to the all night meat pie shop. You know the one? Over on Fleet street?

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Leave it to a Murgo to suggest something like that.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Barbers should be allowed to take the teeth from the dead to make a fantastic set of false teeth for the living.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

SeanBeansShako posted:

Barbers should be allowed to take the teeth from the dead to make a fantastic set of false teeth for the living.

Even after all this time, the CE development (e)thread can still make me :stare:

LonsomeSon fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Oct 2, 2015

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

LonsomeSon posted:

Even after all this time, the CE development (e)thread can still make me :stare:

What? never heard of Waterloo teeth?

The 19th century was a weird rear end time, even outside fictional steampunk settings.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

SeanBeansShako posted:

What? never heard of Waterloo teeth?

The 19th century was a weird rear end time, even outside fictional steampunk settings.

Ok this is one of the most disgusting things I ever heard. I can get it, but I don't want to.

Please implement this and make people form cults over it?

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I had a bandit ask to join my colony last night, but it was just a ruse because as I clicked to accept him he cleverly crashed my game. Bandits are crafty.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Unnatural Geomatries and exploding buildings still occur when stuff is place in a corner. At least for the Naturalists Office.

nvining
May 30, 2011

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Unnatural Geomatries and exploding buildings still occur when stuff is place in a corner. At least for the Naturalists Office.

... this is shocking. What are you putting in the corner of the office, and do you have a screenshot or a save?

Saint Freak posted:

I had a bandit ask to join my colony last night, but it was just a ruse because as I clicked to accept him he cleverly crashed my game. Bandits are crafty.

Fixed in 43B, or so I am told.

nvining fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Oct 5, 2015

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I do have a screenshot. I get off work rather late tonight but I'll send it when I can

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
I haven't played this game in awhile because I'm bad at it and starve everyone routinely and get sad, but I have to say, the level the discourse in this thread is outstanding.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Saint Freak posted:

The first time I did this, the bandit's former comrades chased her right up to my colony before finally killing her, then decided to raid the place since they were already there. It was also before this thread educated me on the purpose of the barracks, so I had assigned my existing NCO to it before demolishing it since it wasn't doing anything, making him a normal overseer. I lost at least three overseers and some non-zero number of chaff colonists, as well as half my supply of booze and copper bars.

Never again.

nvining
May 30, 2011

This week's blogpost shows various character UI revisions:

https://www.gaslampgames.com/2015/10/07/sometimes-you-have-to-show-how-the-trick-is-done/

(Also, Alpha 43B is now in the experimental branch if you haven't tried it yet!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

LonsomeSon posted:

The first time I did this, the bandit's former comrades chased her right up to my colony before finally killing her, then decided to raid the place since they were already there. It was also before this thread educated me on the purpose of the barracks, so I had assigned my existing NCO to it before demolishing it since it wasn't doing anything, making him a normal overseer. I lost at least three overseers and some non-zero number of chaff colonists, as well as half my supply of booze and copper bars.

Never again.

Ah I didn't get that far, basically just a 'failed to create citizen' error.

• Locked thread