Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I can't speak for anyone else but just being able to start towns near (or further away from) each other and do some trading, helping with military, "helping" with military and stuff would be enough to be very fun to play for me. Competing for favor with the home country (quests to produce things to send home or setting up an advanced building and being first makes you win a reward of some kind), sneaky sabotage, having fancier hats, using diplomacy with fishpeople and cults to your advantage against other players could be fun too, but you've probably already thought of those things. :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Poil posted:

I can't speak for anyone else but just being able to start towns near (or further away from) each other and do some trading, helping with military, "helping" with military and stuff would be enough to be very fun to play for me. Competing for favor with the home country (quests to produce things to send home or setting up an advanced building and being first makes you win a reward of some kind), sneaky sabotage, having fancier hats, using diplomacy with fishpeople and cults to your advantage against other players could be fun too, but you've probably already thought of those things. :shobon:

If nothing else, this entire pitch sounds loving perfect for an expansion.... but i bet you already have a million of them too. :shobon:

0lives
Nov 1, 2012

nvining posted:

Today's blogpost: I'm rewriting the building creator to make it fun and awesome and not terrible.

https://www.gaslampgames.com/2016/01/27/the-great-building-creator-rewriting/

One important note from the top of the blogpost: after some discussion, we have decided to suspend development of simultaneous networked multiplayer for Clockwork Empires indefinitely. There are a handful of technical issues that will take a lot of work to address, there is the larger and more ominous gameplay question of "is this actually fun?" that we don't have a satisfactory answer to, and to be honest we'd rather spend time working on making the single player part of CE the best it can be. There will still be support in engine for Round Robin Let's Plays, so that we can all re-enact horrifying tales of death and destruction in the Let's Play forum after we've been released. :) Anybody who has a strong opinion about this, feel free to drop us a line by e-mail; and, as always, we thank you for your understanding and support during the harsh process of game development.
I didn't even know Clockwork Empires was going to have multiplayer beyond the round robin support. That is my feedback.

Poil posted:

XxFishman96xX has sent 100 cultists to your town as a gift! Accept? Yes / By "Gift" we meant "Invasion"

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.
Fine with me. I don't like multiplayer in such games, anyway. I like to slowly grow my colonies/cities/islands, tabbing out for hours, stuff like that.

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009

Poil posted:

I always assumed the same map. The Anno series does it but they have way fewer "people" moving around to keep track of. Mostly ships and some armies and the townsfolk are, presumably, just client side decoration.
Of course the new anno series has no multiplayer, except that weird voting for bonuses and this world market thing, what reason did they give for that?

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.
My kitchen (in which healthful and pleasing food may be cooked) got renamed to The Tenebrous Doom-Stove. I'm fine with that. This is a good game.
Now it's The Just Oven. Okay.

Wipfmetz fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jan 30, 2016

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

... do trees regrow, eventually?

Wipfmetz fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jan 30, 2016

Redchaostry
Nov 27, 2008

Wipfmetz posted:

... do trees regrow, eventually?

Nope. Occasionally saplings seem to mature. If you need lumber you can grow bamboo (might take research now).

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Alavaria posted:

Of course the new anno series has no multiplayer, except that weird voting for bonuses and this world market thing, what reason did they give for that?
I'm not sure if they said anything. But if they did it was likely just marketing blah blah blah herp derp.

Personally I really don't like the newest with its same static maps, no proper shipping, no exploration, no AI islands and forced specific spots for certain buildings. Obviously you can only build a mine where there are resources but arbitrarily limiting so many buildings for no reason is just boring.

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009

Redchaostry posted:

Nope. Occasionally saplings seem to mature. If you need lumber you can grow bamboo (might take research now).
I found somewhere a place where it mentioned growth stages for trees... if it's right it takes a really long time though.

Just research the Green Bamboo (47A only, v47 doesn't need this) and make a max size farm of 14x14 and then farm away.

nvining
May 30, 2011

tunnels through walls with its odd, rubbery nasal appliance
While I am continuing to wrestle the building creator rewrite into submission, David has been busy retrofitting bandits to play nice with the foreign office:

https://www.gaslampgames.com/2016/02/03/our-friend-the-bandit/

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Wipfmetz posted:

My kitchen (in which healthful and pleasing food may be cooked) got renamed to The Tenebrous Doom-Stove. I'm fine with that. This is a good game.
Now it's The Just Oven Just The Oven. Okay.

Your colonists outgrew their goth phase.

nvining
May 30, 2011

Alpha 47B has now hit the Steam Experimental branch, where I push an entire rewrite of the building, module and zone creator on a Friday afternoon on a long weekend and somehow think this is a good idea. Well, I dunno. Await the hotfixes, I guess.

Changelog:

https://community.gaslampgames.com/threads/alpha-47b-now-in-experimental-branch.16945/

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
Building and module placement is definitely a lot smoother now. I was having a hard time enjoying the game while fighting with the old janky system but it's starting to feel more like a proper city builder! Kudos.

nvining
May 30, 2011

DarthJeebus posted:

Building and module placement is definitely a lot smoother now. I was having a hard time enjoying the game while fighting with the old janky system but it's starting to feel more like a proper city builder! Kudos.

Glad to hear it! I'm chasing a few crash bugs and of course I need to make it not look ugly as hell, but I'm pleased that the rewrite has generated the desired results, UX-wise.

Redchaostry
Nov 27, 2008
Monsters! Flatten terrain removed. :negative:

Duckbill
Nov 7, 2008

Nice weather for it.
Grimey Drawer
I'm loving the module placement rewrite, it feels a lot more solid. Having modules jump out from under my hand while I'm trying to place them was pretty irritating for creating my perfect geometric bunk-prisons.

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

Redchaostry posted:

Monsters! Flatten terrain removed. :negative:

Temporarily, it wasn't working properly with the new stuff.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Gotta say, my first reaction to this Doctrine system was that it'd be really cool to have multiple in your colony and end up with warring and schisms

nvining
May 30, 2011

Alpha 47C is up!

https://community.gaslampgames.com/threads/alpha-47c-now-in-experimental-branch.16973/#post-110604

Work crews now need to be happy to work effectively. We await the fallout of screwing up *everybody's* strategies.

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

flatluigi posted:

Gotta say, my first reaction to this Doctrine system was that it'd be really cool to have multiple in your colony and end up with warring and schisms

The Hatfields and The Whateleys are at it again.

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

nvining posted:

Alpha 47C is up!

https://community.gaslampgames.com/threads/alpha-47c-now-in-experimental-branch.16973/#post-110604

Work crews now need to be happy to work effectively. We await the fallout of screwing up *everybody's* strategies.

>FIXED 47B: Terrain flattening is back

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Im trying to figure out why the game crashes on my end every time I try to load it up. It has to ve on my side, because it isnt the only game to do it.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Hey nvining, you posted before Christmas that the game was mostly mechanically complete but there was a ton of content yet to be hooked in, would you be willing to talk about any of that or does it fall under semi-emergent mysteries? The game is coming along well but right now the cults and eldritch stuff mostly stand as quirks to the fairly typical single town management gameplay.

nvining
May 30, 2011

Orv posted:

Hey nvining, you posted before Christmas that the game was mostly mechanically complete but there was a ton of content yet to be hooked in, would you be willing to talk about any of that or does it fall under semi-emergent mysteries? The game is coming along well but right now the cults and eldritch stuff mostly stand as quirks to the fairly typical single town management gameplay.

One should never talk too much about content in public because, well, Star Citizen.

I will note the following: this month's pushes have been two-fold, at least on the technical side. First, rewrite the building placer so it's not terrible. This has mostly been done; I have a few little issues left to sort out for Alpha 48. The second push has been to actually have happiness matter, and to fix the things causing the citizenry to actually be happy. As of Alpha 47C, your productivity is directly tied to your happiness, and we have gone ahead and fixed the churches and pubs and things so that citizenry can experience things that will make them happy. Personal property also needs to be completed as a part of this ticket. We'll see if I get it in under the wire or not.

The building placer rewrite was essential because it lets us get in conduits (formerly dynamics), which means we can start requiring you to power your buildings and run axles and things all over the place. So that'll be exciting, and will unlock a bunch of new modules (which should now be easier to place.) It also lets us get in some more military stuff - pillbox bunkers, minim gun turrets, and (hopefully soon) real walls and fortifications. All of this has had art completed for it for, uh, years. It's the same process for everything else. The other major technical challenge besides conduits that still remains is the overworld. That's going to be fun, and I really need to start working some long and hard hours to get that wrapped up.

Something new for cults will most likely be in for Alpha 49.

nvining
May 30, 2011

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Im trying to figure out why the game crashes on my end every time I try to load it up. It has to ve on my side, because it isnt the only game to do it.

You know where to send those DMP files if you need help. Run Alpha 47C, the latest one, and fire 'em over.

Orv
May 4, 2011

nvining posted:

One should never talk too much about content in public because, well, Star Citizen.

I will note the following: this month's pushes have been two-fold, at least on the technical side. First, rewrite the building placer so it's not terrible. This has mostly been done; I have a few little issues left to sort out for Alpha 48. The second push has been to actually have happiness matter, and to fix the things causing the citizenry to actually be happy. As of Alpha 47C, your productivity is directly tied to your happiness, and we have gone ahead and fixed the churches and pubs and things so that citizenry can experience things that will make them happy. Personal property also needs to be completed as a part of this ticket. We'll see if I get it in under the wire or not.

The building placer rewrite was essential because it lets us get in conduits (formerly dynamics), which means we can start requiring you to power your buildings and run axles and things all over the place. So that'll be exciting, and will unlock a bunch of new modules (which should now be easier to place.) It also lets us get in some more military stuff - pillbox bunkers, minim gun turrets, and (hopefully soon) real walls and fortifications. All of this has had art completed for it for, uh, years. It's the same process for everything else. The other major technical challenge besides conduits that still remains is the overworld. That's going to be fun, and I really need to start working some long and hard hours to get that wrapped up.

Something new for cults will most likely be in for Alpha 49.

Sounds good. The technical aspect is still coming together and that's fine, I just occasionally visit the game to see what's changed, and there's some stuff around the edges that is definitely out of place anywhere but an evil arctic embark in DF or something, but I still have to squint and wonder at all the crazy stuff that is no doubt awaiting its turn. I get you on the smoke and promises though.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

nvining posted:

power your buildings and run axles and things all over

Stopped reading here to immediately post :aaaaa:I feel shame for being this excited over a video game feature!:aaaaa:

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
Yea the idea of conduits is what sold me the day they announced the game. Hopefully the system will be flexible enough to give us creative freedom when it comes to designing machines and contraptions, in the vain of DF or Factorio. I'm also excited to see round robin LPs where the overseer screws it up and pumps fishman slurry into their steel furnace.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

LonsomeSon posted:

Stopped reading here to immediately post :aaaaa:I feel shame for being this excited over a video game feature!:aaaaa:

DarthJeebus posted:

Yea the idea of conduits is what sold me the day they announced the game. Hopefully the system will be flexible enough to give us creative freedom when it comes to designing machines and contraptions, in the vain of DF or Factorio. I'm also excited to see round robin LPs where the overseer screws it up and pumps fishman slurry into their steel furnace.

This right here. I've had the game shelved for a long time because it's, well, boring and doesn't have a lot of content to make it interesting.

If anyone here has played Space Station 13 and know about the goon map's generator then this is exactly what I'll be turning my colony into.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
That is frightening on so many levels.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Deadmeat5150 posted:

That is frightening on so many levels.

See also Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
There could also be heating, since that's fairly important in arctic environments and during winters. All that would be needed is a boiler for the aristocrats, a fireplace for our middle management and a stove for plebeian buildings.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

Triple A posted:

There could also be heating, since that's fairly important in arctic environments and during winters. All that would be needed is a boiler for the aristocrats, a fireplace for our middle management and a stove for plebeian buildings.

I approve of boiling the aristocrats, the common people will need a ready source of food in the event that they get snowed in for weeks.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Triple A posted:

Sure this sort of slapdash accomodation may well be made in the earlier stages of a Colony, but Progress! demands that we pipe live steam to each residential structure, to be circulated through the floors in order to provide warmth. Anything that could possibly go wrong with this probably wouldn't be that bad, get to it!

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009

LonsomeSon posted:

Sure this sort of slapdash accomodation may well be made in the earlier stages of a Colony, but Progress! demands that we ...
Amusingly it's shaping up to be a "the beginning is the hardest" type of thing where you can out-build or out-scale various problems.

Which is fine since we will cover these forests (insert biome here) in Progress :science: :sun:

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

Alavaria posted:

Amusingly it's shaping up to be a "the beginning is the hardest" type of thing where you can out-build or out-scale various problems.

Which is fine since we will cover these forests (insert biome here) in Progress :science: :sun:

Well; pollution, corruption, industrial disasters and becoming a target for serious invasions can be end-game challenges. After all, when the Stahlmarkians bring out their flammenwerfers you know they are serious.

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009
FYI currently you can turn all the three foreign nations into allies.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Alavaria posted:

FYI currently you can turn all the three foreign nations into allies.

How low has a colonial governor sunk when he must rely on the good graces of the cabbage-eaters?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe
I need advice.

Most of my colonies are barely getting to a stable fabric base before the bandits arrive. Should I just let them take what they want while I have three soldiers hanging around? Admittedly it did appear that my soldiers were undecided as to whether they should be inside or outside a building, but that didn't matter as the bandits were shooting through the structure.

Currently I start with a small single bench carpenter, then start building a kitchen with a couple of ovens, and place a couple of fields. After that, it's the blockhouse and a barracks, splitting most of the working class volunteers between soldiers, farmers and haulers.

My soldiers never seem to be very effective though, dying within seconds. Is there a secret to their longevity I'm missing?

Music is top notch. The nighttime music is quite unnerving.

• Locked thread