Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ianmacdo
Oct 30, 2012

nvining posted:

Okay, there does seem to be a bug here that I thought I fixed in 50F and obviously haven't. *sigh* can you send your save game to contact 'at gaslampgames dot com please?

ok sent in.

One other request, could you straighten out the rugs/carpet situation? in the module /all decor screen there are 6 or so carpets and rugs to chose from, i sometimes cant figure out what I made, so i cant place them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nvining
May 30, 2011

tunnels through walls with its odd, rubbery nasal appliance

ianmacdo posted:

ok sent in.

One other request, could you straighten out the rugs/carpet situation? in the module /all decor screen there are 6 or so carpets and rugs to chose from, i sometimes cant figure out what I made, so i cant place them.

Certainly. The thing that will eventually happen is you will get accurate counts of rugs and things in those tooltip icons down below.

ianmacdo
Oct 30, 2012

nvining posted:

Certainly. The thing that will eventually happen is you will get accurate counts of rugs and things in those tooltip icons down below.

That would be great, especially when you buy stuff from traders.

nvining
May 30, 2011

ianmacdo posted:

ok sent in.

Okay. So here is the situation with this: You actually don't have enough materials. The problem is that phantom materials are appearing from objects that should have been deleted, seemingly due to animation timing issues. I think this has been in the game for ages, and it's just that nobody was burning through wood fast enough in previous builds to notice. Now that we all have power saws and all kinds of ways to destroy all your wood, now people are noticing.

So. Action items for me:

1. Modules will have useful warning tooltips indicating what items are missing for their current job.
2. I need to obviously clean up some rendering timing issues.

Anyhow, I'll get to work fixing that and we'll try to push a hotfix out tomorrow evening. (There's a few other little things to deal with.) Thanks again for reporting! In the mean time, the commodity count in the commodities window is *right* and will correctly indicate when you do, or do not, have enough planks or logs or whatever.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Finally picked this up, can't wait to carve out a settlement while waiting for eldritch horrors and/or starvation and/or bandits to bring the colony to a glorious ruin.

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

Jet Jaguar posted:

Finally picked this up, can't wait to carve out a settlement while waiting for eldritch horrors and/or starvation and/or bandits to bring the colony to a glorious ruin.

My first colony wouldn't build anything until they died from starvation, my second colony got wiped out by bandits the day after I got my first carpentry shop built (day 6), and my third colony seems to have a beetle problem. :ohdear:

So far my two notable issues:
1) buildings seem to be the bottom priority job all the time, even if I pause everything else when I've got the materials my colonists seem reticent to start construction
2) stockpile logic is far from optimal. Colonists love to make multiple piles of one resource, then spend the next several days compiling all of those onto a single square instead of just picking one square for a resource and then just stockpiling there.

All told, I'm very, very excited to see if I can make it to using offices...

nvining
May 30, 2011

WebDO posted:

My first colony wouldn't build anything until they died from starvation, my second colony got wiped out by bandits the day after I got my first carpentry shop built (day 6), and my third colony seems to have a beetle problem. :ohdear:

So far my two notable issues:
1) buildings seem to be the bottom priority job all the time, even if I pause everything else when I've got the materials my colonists seem reticent to start construction
2) stockpile logic is far from optimal. Colonists love to make multiple piles of one resource, then spend the next several days compiling all of those onto a single square instead of just picking one square for a resource and then just stockpiling there.

All told, I'm very, very excited to see if I can make it to using offices...

Buildings are equipriority from everything else, but it's possible that you just have a bunch of assignments queued up that are higher weighted by distance. I'll have a look in the morning. The stockpile issues are known and I really need to fix the damned things. It may be that you are creating too many mining/farming/chopping jobs and so nothing is getting done? Day 6 is a very long time for your carpentry workshop...

I am glad you have enjoyed a beetle invasion!

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I'd kinda prefer to just have people drop their goods anywhere on the stockpile and have it magically organize itself. It may not look as good but honestly the improved gameplay would more than make up for it. But of course having it work properly would be the best of both. :v:

Will we be getting warehouses (i.e. indoor stockpiles)? I'm really tired of every animal on the map homing in on my food supplies and eating everything the instant I zone it, completely ignoring humans until one of them decides to start the shoo animal job and the animal instantly knows it and slowly runs away before coming back after a few minutes. Where's a gatling gun when you need one? Clear a landing zone before dropping down, it's common sense guys!

nvining
May 30, 2011

A hotfix for Beta 51 is now in testing, and on the Experimental Branch on Steam. You can find more information here:

https://community.gaslampgames.com/threads/beta-51a-hotfix-now-in-testing.17286/

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

Another day, another set of interesting happenings. Colony three dies from starvation, so I made a new world and plopped down in a fourth. I was forced to make peace with the bandits because their entire squad save one member was armored with blunderbusses to my five untrained guys with pistols. I discovered the option to try and intimidate them, which led to the most amazing series of events. The armored bandits arrive and nearly murder my only actual soldier in red when out of the blue a neutral foreign legion arrives and wipes them out :toot:

A few days later I discover that I haven't done anything sufficient to maintain my colony's happiness and think a revolt will end colony four.

Bug chat (non beta stream):
If you delete an unbuilt module out of a barracks, it deletes the 'building floor ' for lack of a better word and you can't place any new modules because the barracks no longer counts as a building in the module placement screen.

If you delete a built stone kiln for bricks it causes a permanent job slot for the missing kiln, but you can't add or alter jobs in said slot.

e: Attempting to assign a crew to my public house, or attempting to mouse wheel down after clicking the assign crew dropdown causes a crash to desktop

WebDO fucked around with this message at 05:09 on May 23, 2016

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.
I've started my monthly video thing! It's super short!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ax3gltt7oco

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

Is it possible to have different buildings that share a wall have doors into one another? I.e. can I link a house into a workshop to make brutally efficient work/living quarters?

nvining
May 30, 2011

A second hotfix, Beta 51B, is now on Steam. It fixes a bunch of things. Changelog here:

https://community.gaslampgames.com/threads/beta-51b-hotfix-now-in-main-branch-and-experimental-branches.17309/

A blog post about things we learned during the beta:

https://www.gaslampgames.com/2016/05/25/im-really-awfully-glad-im-a-beta/

... how is everybody doing?

Bettik
Jan 28, 2008

Space-age Rock Star
Congrats on hitting Beta! I've dipped my toe in every bunch of updates, I'll have a peek after the hotfix and see what's changed!

nvining
May 30, 2011

Bettik posted:

Congrats on hitting Beta! I've dipped my toe in every bunch of updates, I'll have a peek after the hotfix and see what's changed!

It's hotfixed! Peek away!

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

nvining posted:

A second hotfix, Beta 51B, is now on Steam. It fixes a bunch of things. Changelog here:

https://community.gaslampgames.com/threads/beta-51b-hotfix-now-in-main-branch-and-experimental-branches.17309/

A blog post about things we learned during the beta:

https://www.gaslampgames.com/2016/05/25/im-really-awfully-glad-im-a-beta/

... how is everybody doing?

Should the fixes work with old saves? If so, I've got a few new interesting bugs on a save for you. Crafting counts not incrementing, workers installing modules into buildings that aren't complete, and the improved mine output being completely broken!

This game is great

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

WebDO posted:

Is it possible to have different buildings that share a wall have doors into one another? I.e. can I link a house into a workshop to make brutally efficient work/living quarters?

I don't think this is doable (yet?)

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

Mokinokaro posted:

I don't think this is doable (yet?)

I started making longhouses that wrap around my workshops as a stand in, until people claim buildings/beds it's all really just cosmetic anyhow. But I bet you could just put beds in the workshops with no real detriment...:allears:

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.

WebDO posted:

Should the fixes work with old saves? If so, I've got a few new interesting bugs on a save for you. Crafting counts not incrementing, workers installing modules into buildings that aren't complete, and the improved mine output being completely broken!

This game is great

There's some weirdness when you load a 51 or 51a game into 51b, but it won't overtly break your save. Some things don't function properly, though (51a and 51b were hotfixed directly to the stable branch, so extra care was taken to keep them mostly compatible). You can generally expect Experimental Branch releases to break saves and force you to start a new game.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

WebDO posted:

I started making longhouses that wrap around my workshops as a stand in, until people claim buildings/beds it's all really just cosmetic anyhow. But I bet you could just put beds in the workshops with no real detriment...:allears:
Could you put one right next to a power saw? :haw:

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

Poil posted:

Could you put one right next to a power saw? :haw:

I'll screw around with this later on a new world and see if you can turn workshops into true hellhole living quarters. Overcoming that -10 quality for a 5 station carpentry workshop with beds should be fun :v:

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

WebDO posted:

I'll screw around with this later on a new world and see if you can turn workshops into true hellhole living quarters. Overcoming that -10 quality for a 5 station carpentry workshop with beds should be fun :v:

I put beds in workshops all the time. Tanks the quality though. I usually make a corner with a bookshelf, desk, nice chair, rug, and a good bed for the overseer though. This will become cooler when i can assign that bed to them.

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009

WebDO posted:

Just stack rugs (as they go under modules and one another) and you can make that hellhole become Excellent/Wonderful.

The whole quality thing is why I tend not to make beds now, whereas it used to be a bit more of a priority.

nvining
May 30, 2011

Don't count on module stacking always working; I assure you, I intend to fix it as soon as I get a chance. :)

Meanwhile, beta 51C is on the experimental build:

https://community.gaslampgames.com/threads/beta-51c-now-in-experimental-off-we-go-again.17337/#post-113445

nvining fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jun 1, 2016

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009

nvining posted:

Don't count on module stacking always working; I assure you, I intend to fix it as soon as I get a chance. :)
That's good, I felt a little sad after making these fancy decored plans only to realize they weren't needed.

Though even without stacking, rugs and carpets are pretty powerful still.

nvining
May 30, 2011

Beta 51E is now on the Experimental Build, fixing things that broke in 51D:

https://community.gaslampgames.com/threads/beta-51e-agitated-programming-noises.17375/

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Pictured: A deathwurm, having terrorized my outpost into accomplishing absolutely nothing for two straight days, nibbles on the commander of my armed forces while she flees in terror. Over by the stockpile, another soldier ponders whether these strange things called "guns" might do something to combat this menace before deciding that that's crazy talk.

I'm thoroughly enjoying myself, except that every single thing that could be an annoyance was this time around. I couldn't even feed anyone because as soon as a crop of chili peppers grew the farmers would eat all of them. Scavengers would return their foraged food only to immediately pick it up and eat it. I even watched someone pick up a bushel of berries from the floor of the kitchen in order to eat them raw. I was gambling on sugarcane being edible raw when the deathwurm happened. And the kitchen staff were in some cases stepping around perfectly good piles of meat with orders to be cooked in order to idle in the kitchen. I mean yes, that meat did technically come from bandits, but it's not like they were human once they abandoned the loving laws of the Empire.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Might have already been considered, but have you gents ever considered giving every soldier or militia man the ability to ring a bell when being caught short or seeing something that requires immediate force as some sort of alarm that forces all those in uniform to grab the nearest gun and rally to the threat?

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

SeanBeansShako posted:

Might have already been considered, but have you gents ever considered giving every soldier or militia man the ability to ring a bell when being caught short or seeing something that requires immediate force as some sort of alarm that forces all those in uniform to grab the nearest gun and rally to the threat?

Speaking of tuning soldiers, making them use better weapons when you acquire them would be grand. The workaround of kicking them out of the military, forbidding their weapons, and hoping they'll pick up better stuff when you recruit them again is awkward and doesn't seem to work for commanders.

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.

WebDO posted:

Speaking of tuning soldiers, making them use better weapons when you acquire them would be grand. The workaround of kicking them out of the military, forbidding their weapons, and hoping they'll pick up better stuff when you recruit them again is awkward and doesn't seem to work for commanders.

The soldier / weapon system was overhauled in the experimental branch; baddies no longer drop weapons for your colonists to retrieve, and every soldier will always have a pistol. You can give your soldier options for weapons by constructing the appropriate weapons cabinet in the Barracks (muskets, blunderbusses, Leyden Pistols, etc.), most of which require assembly at the Metalworks. The barracks interface currently lets you choose between weapons by clicking a button to select the armaments of your soldiers.

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

Zaardvark posted:

The soldier / weapon system was overhauled in the experimental branch; baddies no longer drop weapons for your colonists to retrieve, and every soldier will always have a pistol. You can give your soldier options for weapons by constructing the appropriate weapons cabinet in the Barracks (muskets, blunderbusses, Leyden Pistols, etc.), most of which require assembly at the Metalworks. The barracks interface currently lets you choose between weapons by clicking a button to select the armaments of your soldiers.

I think this sounds pretty great actually, I might have to switch to experimental. Not being able to loot weapons off of enemies seems odd though; I think being able to use fish people clubs against folks would be grand :allears:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Enemies could drop broken weapons that an armor/gunsmith could repair for a bit less than making a brand new one? As long as the broken stuff is classed as misc resource and not actual weapon maybe. I don't know how the game is coded but repair rifle requiring broken rifle material (like with say planks and wood) wouldn't be too complicated would it? :v:

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

Poil posted:

Enemies could drop broken weapons that an armor/gunsmith could repair for a bit less than making a brand new one? As long as the broken stuff is classed as misc resource and not actual weapon maybe. I don't know how the game is coded but repair rifle requiring broken rifle material (like with say planks and wood) wouldn't be too complicated would it? :v:

Maybe something like this with a chance to luck out with intact gear. I want bandit armor on my soldiers, even if it's under the uniform coat :colbert:

meatbag
Apr 2, 2007
Clapping Larry
Is the commodity stockpile still a bit wonky in the latest release? I have 13 iron and 29 stone, but my workshops can't seem to use them.

nvining
May 30, 2011

meatbag posted:

Is the commodity stockpile still a bit wonky in the latest release? I have 13 iron and 29 stone, but my workshops can't seem to use them.

Possibly. Send me a save at contact 'at' gaslampgames dot com and I can take a look. Thanks!

Brovine
Dec 24, 2011

Mooooo?
I seem to have a few odd stockpile counts.

I'm also suffering from mass hunger - not quite starvation - and so a lot of my people are wandering off to far-flung fungus to forage for food. They keep taking whatever they happened to be carrying all the way out there with them, so i have boxed modules scattered across the map.

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

Brovine posted:

I seem to have a few odd stockpile counts.

I'm also suffering from mass hunger - not quite starvation - and so a lot of my people are wandering off to far-flung fungus to forage for food. They keep taking whatever they happened to be carrying all the way out there with them, so i have boxed modules scattered across the map.

The sooner you can get booze going the sooner food ceases to be a problem. Quality food outputs 10 units, and I've started making kitchens only have two ovens to only have an excess of ~300 food.

I ought to look into tinning to trade for, but I always end up selling ~300 bottles of booze for whatever the trader brings.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

If I'm in a cold climate, and i can only farm cabbage & flax, how can I reliably produce booze? Is the pathway something like berries + bottles =--[Kitchen:workbench]--> preserves =-[Kitchen:???]--> booze?

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

Ruzihm posted:

If I'm in a cold climate, and i can only farm cabbage & flax, how can I reliably produce booze? Is the pathway something like berries + bottles =--[Kitchen:workbench]--> preserves =-[Kitchen:???]--> booze?

I've always been on a climate that has maize, and it doesn't require bottles as an ingredient, so I'm not sure honestly. Maybe just berries->basic booze, which is all you need for quality food/trading

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009

Ruzihm posted:

You need to research new crops. Wheat should be researchable and can be turned into Beer, a booze.

• Locked thread