Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another

Could be aluminum, I'm pretty sure bauxite was (grudgingly) mentioned at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

Cicadalek posted:

Could be aluminum, I'm pretty sure bauxite was (grudgingly) mentioned at some point.

They have mentioned aluminum in dev blogs before but I sure hope they look up what it takes to actually refine it. The only industrially viable way to produce aluminum involves mining bauxite, grinding it up into powder, melting a vat of cryolite (a mineral that kinda looks like quartz and melts a bit above 1000 C), dissolving the bauxite powder in the cryolite and running a hojillion amperes through it to electrolytically separate the pure aluminum from the ore. Safe.

And assuming everything goes right you are still left with tons of caustic red sludge from the bauxite remains that has to be dealt with. If you imagine concentrated bleach-mud you've got the right idea. Skin contact leads to nasty chemical burns and the consistency of mud makes it hard to really clean off. The general strategy is to build an artificial lake and hope to retire before something has to be done about it. But the colonies won't have the EPA breathing down their necks so it can probably be used to thin out the stew. The molten cryolite tends to release hydrogen fluoride gas too. That stuff is really horrific. Comparably an unknowable horror twisted yoked by science that eats puppies and spits out aluminum ingots looks quite appealing.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

LtSmash posted:

They have mentioned aluminum in dev blogs before but I sure hope they look up what it takes to actually refine it. The only industrially viable way to produce aluminum involves mining bauxite, grinding it up into powder, melting a vat of cryolite (a mineral that kinda looks like quartz and melts a bit above 1000 C), dissolving the bauxite powder in the cryolite and running a hojillion amperes through it to electrolytically separate the pure aluminum from the ore. Safe.

And assuming everything goes right you are still left with tons of caustic red sludge from the bauxite remains that has to be dealt with. If you imagine concentrated bleach-mud you've got the right idea. Skin contact leads to nasty chemical burns and the consistency of mud makes it hard to really clean off. The general strategy is to build an artificial lake and hope to retire before something has to be done about it. But the colonies won't have the EPA breathing down their necks so it can probably be used to thin out the stew. The molten cryolite tends to release hydrogen fluoride gas too. That stuff is really horrific. Comparably an unknowable horror twisted yoked by science that eats puppies and spits out aluminum ingots looks quite appealing.

This, the complexities of aluminium refinement present interesting gameplay possibilities.

Also the complexity of ammonia production, which of course is important for making explosives. A lot of the more valuable things to a frontier steampunk colony are sufficiently difficult to make, that dealing with alien powers from beyond the veil may be a less difficult way to acquire them.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another

LtSmash posted:

Well I certainly have a lot more respect for the portable smeltery in Dredmor now.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

LtSmash posted:

oh god everyone is dead or deformed now

Man, I really, really hope Clockwork Empires kind of plays up the environmental aspects of industry in a visceral sort of way, now. It's magic or real industry, assholes, both are dangerous, awful, and horrifying! Pick one! We have quotas to fill!

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

"We Must Dissent"

Geekkake posted:

Man, I really, really hope Clockwork Empires kind of plays up the environmental aspects of industry in a visceral sort of way, now. It's magic or real industry, assholes, both are dangerous, awful, and horrifying! Pick one! We have quotas to fill!

One? I want an evil magic power plant making electricity to power my shoddily made industrial aluminum smelter. Best of both worlds!

Also flywheels. Steampunk as gently caress and when they fail they do a hilarious amount of damage for how little space they take up.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
We need a race of eldritch horrors who pay you in a non-linear currency of strange coins, which you receive before you do the thing that you would have been paid for, and the rate of which is based on how much attention you're paying them.

This idea has been brought to you by crazy people.

e: the coins are made out of marble

President Ark fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Apr 3, 2014

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

While this is something I can get behind, (it should be a fairly easy task to keep the plates of industry and society spinning individually but when you finally gently caress something up it should gently caress up good and hard), but there's an art to making sure the player wants to continue playing after the fuckup instead of immediately quitting to the desktop. Maybe it should be made abundantly clear that many situations are recoverable.

Also, definitely agree with making sure the horrible side effects of industrialization are clear, and this could develop into organic hard decisions without resorting to a moral choice gauge.

"Hmm... I can properly dispose of this toxic sludge and reduce profits by 90%... Or I dump it in the ocean for free! I'm sure the fish men won't mind, there's plenty more sea to live in."

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Triskelli posted:

"Hmm... I can properly dispose of this toxic sludge and reduce profits by 90%... Or I dump it in the ocean for free! I'm sure the fish men won't mind, there's plenty more sea to live in."

You have to be careful with this sort of thing - if my choice is "economic penalty I can compensate for by just overbuilding" versus "crazy penalty with actual gameplay consequences", I'm probably going to go with the former just because it's easier to deal with, even if the latter might have more interesting outcomes in the long term. This happens a lot in Tropico 3/4 - sure I can play like a crazy dictator, but it's a lot easier to just not do that and build more things to produce money, thus reaching the same goal. The most fun missions in those games are the ones that force you to enact certain crazy dictator policies, which tend to snowball and make you enact more crazy dictator policies to deal with it.

I'd rather have a system where, for instance, my choices for pollution disposal are "Dump into ocean, creating mutant fish, impacting my fishing industry, and enraging the fishmen" versus, say, "Dig an underground storage facility, requiring an investment of labor, creating an obstructive building (the connecting facility that receives the waste and pumps it into the underground tanks) and forcing me to create additional pipelines to dump the waste, creating the risk of mining accidents, and maybe enraging the mole-men/CHUDs/enormous diggle-people". That's a much more interesting choice to me.

President Ark fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Apr 3, 2014

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

LtSmash posted:

One? I want an evil magic power plant making electricity to power my shoddily made industrial aluminum smelter. Best of both worlds!
It's only the best of worlds if you dump the toxic sludge right next to the magical reactors, which are located on top of a fishman village.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Yeah, I was just throwing out a rough idea. Honestly, there should be no good solution to dealing with some things, like having to choose between either dragging a cultist into the town square and executing them (making everyone upset/happy depending if they've dealt with cultists before) or letting them summon some smaller Quiggaroth and praying you can deal with it quietly (or letting him eat enough colonists to make them ready to break out the guillotine)

Rudi Starnberg
Jul 8, 2012
Will cahracters have memories from before the colony was founded? For example could one of your starting characters be a grim vetran who has fought against the commies and who will consequently fall out with a left leaning poet on day one? Or will people arrive with a blank slate?

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

I think part of it may depend on just how well CE accomplishes the goal of being an interesting-story-generator. If it's interesting to watch your colony fall apart under waves of cultists and fish people and tentacled obelisks, great. You'll just make whatever decision seems the most fun. But if the story part isn't that intriguing or the gameplay is too demanding, people will start to break it down into dull numbers and start just playing a spreadsheet in order to optimize their winning conditions, instead of playing in the sandbox for the fun of it.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Rudi Starnberg posted:

Will cahracters have memories from before the colony was founded? For example could one of your starting characters be a grim vetran who has fought against the commies and who will consequently fall out with a left leaning poet on day one? Or will people arrive with a blank slate?

Well, they'll have preexisting personalities, but effectively giving them memories of "fake" events that took place in negative-time before the game started is pretty interesting. Say, a plague that took place 20 years before the game started, so your older colonists might be more obsessive about cleanliness/be hypochondriacs or something.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

President Ark posted:

Well, they'll have preexisting personalities, but effectively giving them memories of "fake" events that took place in negative-time before the game started is pretty interesting. Say, a plague that took place 20 years before the game started, so your older colonists might be more obsessive about cleanliness/be hypochondriacs or something.
Further to that it'd be interesting for group-wide traits to be encouraged through game creation modifiers.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

nvining posted:

(Some more dickering about what needs to get in before REV14 hits and we let you in. Hang tight, gents, and get those forum registrations to me if you haven't done so yet.)

Skyl3lazer on your forums too http://community.gaslampgames.com/members/skyl3lazer.25329/

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

Further to that it'd be interesting for group-wide traits to be encouraged through game creation modifiers.

There's even two interesting outcomes from this sort of system - if these "pre-events" generally give your colonists negative modifiers to their performance, it encourages you to train young people in skills rather than leaning on an older and (presumably) more skilled workforce. On the other hand, it being a neutral or positive modifier gives first-time players a crutch to lean on, as well as being an interesting springboard for in-game stories - like when Old John Mackintosh, Veteran of the third syndicalist rebellion, singlehandedly and valiantly holds off a fishman raid at the cost of his own life.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

"We Must Dissent"

Poil posted:

It's only the best of worlds if you dump the toxic sludge right next to the magical reactors, which are located on top of a fishman village.

My real hope is a sort of loop where the magical reactor eats chickens to make electricity, the smelter creates aluminum and sludge, caustic sludge gets transmuted into non-euclidean chicken feed, and civilized fish people raise deformed chickens for the power plant. So long as there is never a surplus or shortfall in any of the steps and the fish people stay in line and no trade unionists stir things up and everyone ignores the way the rooms twist and warp out of the corner of your eyes the colony will be the largest exporter of aluminum struts in the empire! And there will be electric street lamps, reasonably priced chickens in every pot, and fish people who know their place! Progress is truly a glory to behold.

Haven't they said the world is supposed to be ongoing between colonies? In theory you should be able to get colonists who remember/have heard about your last colony resorting to cannibalism and start as cannibals or hoard food or something.

Dongsturm
Feb 17, 2012

LtSmash posted:

Also flywheels. Steampunk as gently caress and when they fail they do a hilarious amount of damage for how little space they take up.

:science: my university used a giant flywheel to power their physics experiments, because the local power grid wasn't enough.

It would take several hours to spin up, and then it would dump more electricity than was used by the whole city, in less than 3 seconds. Sadly I never got to see it running, but I liked to imagine that everytime they ran it there was a risk of opening a rift to another dimension, which they ignored in the interests of advancing science.

(Actually any physicist would be thrilled at the chance to open a rift to another dimension. You can't trust them when it comes to endangering the universe.)

http://weekendwalks.files.wordpress.com/2011/10/hpg-3.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homopolar_generator

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

LtSmash posted:

Haven't they said the world is supposed to be ongoing between colonies? In theory you should be able to get colonists who remember/have heard about your last colony resorting to cannibalism and start as cannibals or hoard food or something.

That assumes they survive to settle in another colony, or anyone survives to bring news back to the Empire. :unsmigghh:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Dongsturm posted:

:science: my university used a giant flywheel to power their physics experiments, because the local power grid wasn't enough.

It would take several hours to spin up, and then it would dump more electricity than was used by the whole city, in less than 3 seconds. Sadly I never got to see it running, but I liked to imagine that everytime they ran it there was a risk of opening a rift to another dimension, which they ignored in the interests of advancing science.

(Actually any physicist would be thrilled at the chance to open a rift to another dimension. You can't trust them when it comes to endangering the universe.)

http://weekendwalks.files.wordpress.com/2011/10/hpg-3.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homopolar_generator

Flywheels are quite commonly used as high capacity/discharge batteries, or as moderators for erratic electrical currents.

We live in a world where it is useful to build huge, incredibly heavy, vacuum sealed metal discs and accelerate them to supersonic speeds in order to discharge immense amounts of electrical energy at things. It is a good world.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Anticheese posted:

That assumes they survive to settle in another colony, or anyone survives to bring news back to the Empire. :unsmigghh:
Hey, no news is good news.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

nvining posted:

those forum registrations

drat you and your Forums of Hilarity, Vining. drat YOU! :argh:

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

I may have signed up for the forums too, under the same name as here. Now to actually post!

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Also signed up for the forums, as "emonotony".

(You brought it upon yourself, with that initiative comment. Ah, the eldritch horror of people wanting to test stuff.)

endlessmonotony fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Apr 4, 2014

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Our tickets held high as we stand outside the gates, alone but for the other strangers, we wait, breathlessly. Beyond the gates we can see movement and know that there are others inside, already tasting of the splendid dish that has been hidden within. When will the funny looking man in the purple suit come out from the huge double doors the lead to the front lobby? We don't speak to each other yet we all now that it will be soon.

And so we wait.

edit: I'm actually starting to think like this now. I've been reading a lot of Rudyard Kipling at night to my girls.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

endlessmonotony posted:

(You brought it upon yourself, with that initiative comment. Ah, the eldritch horror of people wanting to test stuff.)

Indeed he did.

Signed up under this name a couple days ago.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

nvining posted:

(Some more dickering about what needs to get in before REV14 hits and we let you in. Hang tight, gents, and get those forum registrations to me if you haven't done so yet.)

http://community.gaslampgames.com/members/deathbagel.18588/

Been following and waiting for this game for a long, long time!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

deathbagel posted:

http://community.gaslampgames.com/members/deathbagel.18588/

Been following and waiting for this game for a long, long time!

http://community.gaslampgames.com/members/grey-hunter.25297/

Same here! really, I would be happy with a half hour video of the game in its current state. just to see some buggy buggy gameplay goodness!

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Grey Hunter posted:

Same here! really, I would be happy with a half hour video of the game in its current state. just to see some buggy buggy gameplay goodness!

Usually, there's some very good reasons not to do stuff like this, PR-wise. We're a civil lot here, but there's a good number of idiots out there that would watch an amusing video of peasants stuffing cabbages into the power-core sockets and using it to run a saw who would think that a cabbage-based economy was a permanent feature of the game, and badmouth the actual game based on an extremely buggy pre-pre-alpha video.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Ratoslov posted:

Usually, there's some very good reasons not to do stuff like this, PR-wise. We're a civil lot here, but there's a good number of idiots out there that would watch an amusing video of peasants stuffing cabbages into the power-core sockets and using it to run a saw who would think that a cabbage-based economy was a permanent feature of the game, and badmouth the actual game based on an extremely buggy pre-pre-alpha video.

The :10bux: pass makes Goons better than other people :colbert:

I signed up for the gaslamp forums, *shudder* because I too am willing to debase myself in order to invest minimal time into a testing effort :v:

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Ratoslov posted:

I know the reasons, it doesn't stop me hoping though.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Demiurge4 posted:

The :10bux: pass makes Goons better than other people :colbert:

I signed up for the gaslamp forums, *shudder* because I too am willing to debase myself in order to invest minimal time into a testing effort :v:

Surprisingly enough their forums aren't that bad. For the most part.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Oh, I thought the post your forum name thing was only for golden ticket winners.

http://community.gaslampgames.com/members/techgamer.6184/

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Together, we ARE your forums!

That's one way to build a community I suppose.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Deki posted:

Oh, I thought the post your forum name thing was only for golden ticket winners.

http://community.gaslampgames.com/members/techgamer.6184/

I'm pretty sure it is, and I have no idea why every one thinks otherwise :cthulhu:

nvining
May 30, 2011

tunnels through walls with its odd, rubbery nasal appliance
Yes, that was intended to be correct: that was only for golden ticket winners. My bad. :)

(Have you seen our new website and mailing list yet? http://www.clockworkempires.com has a few new screenshots, I think, that were put up last week. there's also a mailing list. You will like the mailing list.)

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Is there a way to change the settings for the mailing list after you sign up for it? Say, if I forget to tick any boxes to actually receive any mails?

Rudi Starnberg
Jul 8, 2012
Just try ot sign up to the mail list again then click the link to update your profile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

nvining posted:

Yes, that was intended to be correct: that was only for golden ticket winners. My bad. :)

(Have you seen our new website and mailing list yet? http://www.clockworkempires.com has a few new screenshots, I think, that were put up last week. there's also a mailing list. You will like the mailing list.)

My hopes are crushed again... drat you for not taking into account the lack of reading comprehension of the average goon!

• Locked thread