Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Orv posted:

Actually I really enjoy his stuff, but I'm always happy to poo poo on his place names, because they are the worst.

Oh, okay, fair enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

VendoViper posted:

Something I found very confusing on my first forays into game-play was that there don't appear to be any "self queuing" jobs. What I mean by this, is if I place a cot to be built, and have no planks, shouldn't the carpentry work shop queue up a unit of plank construction?

It wasn't until I was watching a game-play video where someone actually queued up food and planks from various workshops that I realized that the plank icon was actually a button.

Personally I am somewhat opposed to the idea of self queuing jobs since you could end up with situations where you order a building with tons of lamps or something that needs a lot of planks and it auto chops all your timber into planks but then you realize you really needed that timber to make your kitchen but every time you cut a tree the carpentry shop tries to make it into a plank for another lamp in your upper class house. There has been talk of being able to set targets for commodities to keep in stock.

I'm not sure where the dev's stand on either but balancing micro vs macro is pretty important. Personally I would suggest that those kind of things should be unlocked in game by having a clerk in a paperwork factory.

AndroidHub posted:

That logic definitely doesn't apply universally, I've definitely had buildings be built in a completely different order than I ordered them in, it probably has to do with the number of different jobs vs the number of work crews. And similarly I've had people put off making boards when it's the one kink in the pipe too, I guess if my boss told me to cut logs into planks using nothing but an axe I'd probably put it off too. It ceases to be an issue if I can get a carpentry shop up, but that ends up being a crapshoot unless it's the very first thing I make.

Well it depends on a few things. All jobs have a utility rating that each person calculates so a very important job that's ordered later can be done before an unimportant job that comes first. For most jobs proximity has at least some impact on utility so that can be a factor. But generally other things being equal creation order will win. There are also things like if there are the raw materials to carry out a job or not. Also some jobs require an entire workcrew and an overseer while others can just be done by one person. Jobs can also interrupt each other, fleeing from a fishman (or more accurately running around at random in the presence of a fishman) or eating food are both jobs internally but will interrupt jobs that were created before them.

Maybe making commodity creating jobs have a decreasing utility with how many of the product you already have would make sense which could help get logs made into planks if you are out before they finish clear-cutting the forest.

Dongsturm
Feb 17, 2012

Wipfmetz posted:

Here's another filthy foreigner with a filthy 'ö' in his username not beeing able to start the game. Funnily enough, an empty "Clockwork Empires"-folder has been created in my umlaut-containing user directory, anyway.

I was just about to buy this when I saw your post. Is CE not unicode clean? I only have a Japanese computer, it messes up a lot of programmes.

I guess I should volunteer for testing.

Mr Darcy
Feb 8, 2006

dbaumgart posted:

First things first: I'd love to steal China Mieville's brain and use it to power ... something. Perhaps even everything. But I didn't steal his map. Possibly some of the thinking behind the two is similar, but that's it.

Here's a (super downsized) version of the map I based the embark map on:

It's basically a flat-world map with a mirrored/distorted Bizarro Europe-analog on the left with an oversized British Isles-analog. At the bottom is Generic Bizarro Africa and on the right is Generic Bizarro North America.

This was originally a sketch for a Clockwork Empires worldmap merely to use as a concept piece, which I turned into a Dominions 3 map (which I abandoned because it'd play horribly), which I turned back into the map you see on the embarkation screen.

Right! Carry on.

All I can see is a dong over a manatee on the left and a chicken head on the right.

Edit: Here you go.

Mr Darcy fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jul 23, 2014

VendoViper
Feb 8, 2011

Can't touch this.

Mr Darcy posted:

All I can see is a dong over a manatee on the left and a chicken head on the right.

Things that are not meant to be seen can not be unseen.

Mr Darcy
Feb 8, 2006
Be thankful I couldn't be bothered to give the cock penisnsula veins based on the river running through it.

Wonderslug
Apr 3, 2011

You don't say.
Fallen Rib
That is obviously a shark with arms chasing a sparrow.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

"We Must Dissent"

I'm pretty sure its two bears high-fiving.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
If you squint your eyes just right it kind of looks like three continents separated by an ocean.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

If you squint your eyes just right it kind of looks like three continents separated by an ocean.

I don't see it.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

You should probably get checked out.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Clockwork Empires - Sacrifice to the Tectonic Game Hen

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

Here's an update on where we are! https://www.gaslampgames.com/2014/07/23/earliest-access-week-one/

Content update early next week if all goes according to plan.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Daynab posted:

Here's an update on where we are! https://www.gaslampgames.com/2014/07/23/earliest-access-week-one/

Content update early next week if all goes according to plan.

There should be a rule against linking to an 'awesome comic' that requires someone to have a forum login before they can view the attachment.

Otherwise, good work, keep it up, etc.

dbaumgart
May 31, 2011

BobTheJanitor posted:

There should be a rule against linking to an 'awesome comic' that requires someone to have a forum login before they can view the attachment.

Otherwise, good work, keep it up, etc.

Sorry about that, I couldn't tell as I'm logged in by default. Let me put in a public link of it.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
I take it the functionality to cancel jobs isn't in quite yet? I ordered a tree cut on a plateau and now I people only want to cut those trees, and there is no way to dissuade them.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Mr Darcy posted:

Edit: Here you go.

At least I'm not the only person to notice Cocklandia.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
I've got problems because I definitely see more than one Johnson on that map.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Wonderslug posted:

That is obviously a shark with arms chasing a sparrow.

So I see Sharknado 3 is already shaping up to be pretty crazy.

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.
Can we get a few gifs from the ceo's cat with the next hotfix?

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Wipfmetz posted:

Can we get a few gifs from the ceo's cat with the next hotfix?
You can find two jpgs in the install directory, that may not be in the Earliest Access builds though.

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

You can find two jpgs in the install directory, that may not be in the Earliest Access builds though.
Yeah, the last hotfix brought the second one, I think.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

tima posted:

Do you guys do any user testing, i.e. watching a new user play the game for the first time while commenting on what they are trying to accomplish? That usually helps to clear up a lot of design problems.

From personal experience I built a workshop, then queued a kitchen but they never started building it. I clicked around for a bit trying to figure out what's going on with it, found some screen that said showed a bunch of unassigned jobs, then gave up and quit. My guess was I didn't have a required optional resource, but I wasn't sure. User testing will help you spot a lot of problems like that and either provide a better feedback, or prevent users from making an error and queueing impossible buildings.

This was pretty much my experience as well. Started the game, clicked a few buttons, got completely overwhelmed because I couldn't figure out how to do anything and quit pretty quickly in frustration.

After going to the forums and finding the "How not to Starve" guide I was able to work out a few more things, but ended up quitting in frustration again as buildings were not being worked on (the first kitchen took forever to build) and the job assignment screen was too unintuitive for me to feel like I was making any kind of progress at getting to the "fun" parts of the game.

Are there any other guides on how to do things in this game? Having people starve to death or be eaten by fishmen is the least of my worries when I couldn't even figure out how to add additional items to my unfinished low class house after I had clicked done.

plehsistential
Jan 29, 2012

death to all avatar havers

Nemo2342 posted:

This was pretty much my experience as well. Started the game, clicked a few buttons, got completely overwhelmed because I couldn't figure out how to do anything and quit pretty quickly in frustration.

After going to the forums and finding the "How not to Starve" guide I was able to work out a few more things, but ended up quitting in frustration again as buildings were not being worked on (the first kitchen took forever to build) and the job assignment screen was too unintuitive for me to feel like I was making any kind of progress at getting to the "fun" parts of the game.

Are there any other guides on how to do things in this game? Having people starve to death or be eaten by fishmen is the least of my worries when I couldn't even figure out how to add additional items to my unfinished low class house after I had clicked done.

I think currently houses are simply unable to be renovated. Some other things to look out for are if you lose an overseer who claimed a workshop, then you can basically kiss that workshop good bye as it seems new overseers won't claim a workshop that has lost its owner.

Also fishmen possess the ability to wipe the minds of your workers. I've had an overseer do nothing but sit at a berry bush now because all the people who had been foraging it before got scared off by a fishman before and now they refuse to go back to foraging it.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto
My current bugaboo is when workers decide to place and then pick up the same item forever until nightfall. I have to promote or kill them to get them to stop. I've found that a lot of my problems with the jobs list were solved when I made a point to queue as few jobs as possible at a time, make buildings as simple as possible for my needed functionality, and make only one really big storage area ever. No one knows how to figure out new places to put stuff. Just really boggles their little melon heads.

My current startup plan:
First, pause while you allocate a big storage zone and two or three 7x7 (maxed) cabbage or pumpkin plots.
Two, set up a kitchen floorplan near your fields with two or three ovens. (As soon as the walls go up you can schedule any spare foodstuffs for processing while you wait for your crops.)
Three, send your idlers after nearby forage spots for easy eats (berries, mushrooms, or caviar if there are no fishmen around) and close mature trees for lumber. Send explorers out when you have time to see what resources are close enough to grab without stranding your gatherers with the fishmen-terror-fits.
Four, set up a lower-class bunkhouse with several cots, tables and chairs. Workers need beds to not complain about sleep and feel better about sitting and eating at tables.
Five is when you should look at a lumberhousewhatever to task out getting the all-important planks faster instead of tediously re-chopping cut logs.
Lastly, I can't decide how to measure out when to get the refinery/metalworks or ceramicshop since there are some serious chicken-and-egg resource problems with making them and they might depend on if you see enough of their materials lying conveniently around. Getting lucky with building materials from the crown is helpful too. Maybe put up a middle-class house too, but I can't remember if I've ever seen anyone inhabit one.

At this point you're in endgame as far as expansion goes; perhaps around two weeks of colony time. Be sure to have scavenged all the egg-caches from the nearby beaches so fishmen aren't lured there to dance at their children. Breweries, alchemists, and high-class houses are pretty much useless at this stage of the game's life. Maybe add the armory if you really want snazzier guns lying around I suppose, but ammo and loadouts thankfully aren't important yet. Also since roads don't do anything for me and you can only clear so much dross for pathing issues, put doors on every dang wall of every building you can so everyone can walk through instead of around everything. Also, 15 to 20 seconds of hunting-enabled on your militia will really help clear out the stupid animals and give you a ton of extra meat to process between harvests and berry/shroom blooms.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I noticed one pitfall is making too many farms, and then your citizens don't have time to do anything else when there's ~20 of them tending to say 15 farms, and they prioritize farms over seemingly all else.

Also, I feel like the immigrant/supply menus should just pop up in your face instead of being something you need to click on that can seemingly time out.

fleshy echidna
Apr 11, 2010

AndroidHub posted:

I noticed one pitfall is making too many farms, and then your citizens don't have time to do anything else when there's ~20 of them tending to say 15 farms, and they prioritize farms over seemingly all else.

Also, I feel like the immigrant/supply menus should just pop up in your face instead of being something you need to click on that can seemingly time out.

That can be dealt with pretty easily by going into the work party tab and just disabling the farming/gathering jobs for specific work teams.

One thing that would be nice though would be a separate window for naturalist/scientist since they can't really be adjusted to just explore or research and are too busy doing all the other crap around the colonies.

Also holy crap the cultist names for workshops are loving terrifying.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Modest proposal, orphans, etc.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

I would just like to say that I've been excited for this game since I first saw a magazine mention of it many moons ago. Little did I know that the devs were goons, which only increases my anticipation for surreal shenanigans.

I can't wait to watch my colony go steadily, irrevocably insane under the influence of Elder Things From Beyond The Stars™.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

Is there any trick to getting terrain to show up consistently in windowed mode? It always shows up for me regardless of settings in fullscreen, but if I'm in windowed mode it seems to only show up on high everything and even then only sometimes.

nvining
May 30, 2011

tunnels through walls with its odd, rubbery nasal appliance

AndroidHub posted:

Is there any trick to getting terrain to show up consistently in windowed mode? It always shows up for me regardless of settings in fullscreen, but if I'm in windowed mode it seems to only show up on high everything and even then only sometimes.

This is... a new one, actually. What's your video card?

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

After some further fiddling it does seem to vanish if I turn off reflections in fullscreen, but my card is an Nvidia Geforce GTX 750 Ti.

Less related, is there a plan to be able to limit certain stockpiles to just certain commodities? I'd love to be able to put little stockpiles next to each workshop and have them put products from the workshop or materials the shop can use without it getting filled up with logs and fish eggs.

nvining
May 30, 2011

AndroidHub posted:

After some further fiddling it does seem to vanish if I turn off reflections in fullscreen, but my card is an Nvidia Geforce GTX 750 Ti.

I'll take a look. In the mean time, keep reflections turned on I guess. :) That card should be fine, though. You might want to check to make sure your drivers are up to date (standard advice, I know...)

quote:

Less related, is there a plan to be able to limit certain stockpiles to just certain commodities? I'd love to be able to put little stockpiles next to each workshop and have them put products from the workshop or materials the shop can use without it getting filled up with logs and fish eggs.

Yes. We are about 50% of the way through this rewrite; it's not in the current update (which does fix a number of stockpile issues), but is definitely "in progress".

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I guess I should also mention the reason I even want to play in windowed with lower settings is for streaming, I spent a long time last night trying to get it working to stream, and the only way I could get it to pick up anything was in a window using monitor capture (with all settings maxed since that was the only way to get the ground to show). Window capture yielded the title screen background regardless of whatever was actually going on, and fullscreen just showed pure black for me. It's worth noting I us OBS I guess.

But yeah, the game works fine at max settings in fullscreen as long as I don't want to stream it.

The Ender
Aug 2, 2012

MY OPINIONS ARE NOT WORTH THEIR WEIGHT IN SHIT
I love how I go to Gaslamp's CE forums to make a lunch napkin suggestion about future military stuff, and of course the most popular thread in Design Suggestions is a guy asking for whore houses.

:|

I guess I should just be glad that we're not yet to the point where people are demanding to see their colonists go to the bathroom.

nvining, I just wanted to let you know that you guys are doing fantastic work; I don't normally do anything Early Access, but this feels like it's absolutely worth my time & money. The base stuff already in the alpha is clearly a solid foundation for whatever the full game eventually becomes.

...Also, I don't know if I'm doing something wrong, but I can't seem to brew beer? I have lots of wheat and the job is queued, but nobody will go to start alcohol production.

nvining
May 30, 2011

Revision 28 just hit Steam; changelog here: https://community.gaslampgames.com/threads/revision-28-up.8755/

There are some notable omissions that we are trying to finish; however, we didn't want to hold back the good stuff for a series of things where debugging them will take An Unknown Amount of Time.

The Ender posted:

I love how I go to Gaslamp's CE forums to make a lunch napkin suggestion about future military stuff, and of course the most popular thread in Design Suggestions is a guy asking for whore houses.

On whorehouses: I think there is an interesting place and time for games that have sex and prostitution; that's probably not us.

(I also wonder if anybody wanted whorehouses in Day Z? Is this just part of Early Access?)

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

"We Must Dissent"

nvining posted:

Revision 28 just hit Steam; changelog here: https://community.gaslampgames.com/threads/revision-28-up.8755/

There are some notable omissions that we are trying to finish; however, we didn't want to hold back the good stuff for a series of things where debugging them will take An Unknown Amount of Time.

On whorehouses: I think there is an interesting place and time for games that have sex and prostitution; that's probably not us.

(I also wonder if anybody wanted whorehouses in Day Z? Is this just part of Early Access?)

Oh boy a new version!

And pretty much any game will have requests for sex stuff. I personally think that thread was handled very well by Gaslamp and most of the posters weren't clambering for it. But you should probably stock the office with whiskey for when the first sex mod is released.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

LtSmash posted:

Oh boy a new version!

And pretty much any game will have requests for sex stuff. I personally think that thread was handled very well by Gaslamp and most of the posters weren't clambering for it. But you should probably stock the office with whiskey for when the first sex mod is released.

In all things fear The One With Ten Thousand Dicks.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

If the graphics are moddable, well, I'll just leave this thread here. Don't browse too deeply without a strong constitution and some brain bleach. There is someone out there who wants to spend hours carefully crafting a system whereby their colonists can carve wood blocks into sex toys and use them in some twisted ritual to summon Azathong and Yad-shagoff the elder sex gods.

On the one hand, I wonder if games that can be modded into all this creepy-rear end stuff drives greater sales to a certain subset of people. On the other hand, ewwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

BRB, starting up clockworkempires.nexus.com.

• Locked thread