Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Easy Rider
Sep 21, 2006

Corn Dogs- Deep Fried Proof Of A Loving God
Will there be organizational/political rivalry in addition to the traditional us vs. them soldiers vs. cultists type problems? Will Captain Joe Cogsman of the Royal Steam-Constabulary have the potential to get into a rivalry with Chief Inspector Robert Steamer of the Electro-City Watch? There has never been a game that modeled petty bureaucratic rivalries, police pissing contests, political machine clashes and similar minor conflicts that inevitably sprout up in cities, and it seems a colonial backdrop would be perfect for this sort of thing. Essentially, can this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-vBJ8cS08U happen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Easy Rider
Sep 21, 2006

grate deceiver posted:

There's a game called Europa 1400 that's basically entirely about this(maybe also called The Guild). It's somewhat rough around the edges, but probably the best town life simulator I played. I could see some ideas from that game making it's way to Clockwork Empires, like the law system or rivalries between big families.

Awesome, thanks for the tip! The sequel seems to be on Steam; is it equally good? If not, where can I find the original?

The Easy Rider
Sep 21, 2006

Thanks for the info on The Guild, I'll check it out off GOG.

On the topic of Clockwork Empires, what is the learning curve like on building construction? Will someone with little to no experience in 3D modeling still be fully capable of making interesting buildings?

The Easy Rider
Sep 21, 2006

nvining posted:

Super easy. Literally, you click around on the tile grid of the game level until you specify the building blueprint, and it creates a building. You can adjust how each individual side looks and what profile it uses, and how you want to decorate things (i.e. what material you're going to use, etc.) I think most profiles have materials attached to them so that Sean and crew can make everything look right; there's a bunch of UI decisions we need to make and experiment with before we can proceed, but we're not quite there yet.

(We're recovering from PAX in our hotel rooms, which probably means it's a good time to ask ridiculous questions. Reactions on the floor were *really* positive!)

Here's a repost of my earlier question in case it got missed during the convention.

The Easy Rider posted:

Will there be organizational/political rivalry in addition to the traditional us vs. them soldiers vs. cultists type problems? Will Captain Joe Cogsman of the Royal Steam-Constabulary have the potential to get into a rivalry with Chief Inspector Robert Steamer of the Electro-City Watch? There has never been a game that modeled petty bureaucratic rivalries, police pissing contests, political machine clashes and similar minor conflicts that inevitably sprout up in cities, and it seems a colonial backdrop would be perfect for this sort of thing. Essentially, can this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-vBJ8cS08U happen?

If there will be multiple groups vying for influence, how much of an influence will we have on them? Would we be able to appoint one group to hunting down cultists, while another does normal policing? If there aren't multiple groups, will certain individuals or groupings within organizations be able to fill similar roles? (Sorry for speculating based on my own speculations, but I'm already quite excited for this game regardless of whether this sort of content will be included within it, and if it is included, it's pretty much the game I've always dreamed of).

Will there be unique items to acquire and award to your citizens? Or is the larger emphasis on mass-manufacturing, large-scale production items? Will the distribution of items effect citizens who weren't given them? For example, in the former case, if I gave a scholar some rare esoteric text, will it anger other scholars who weren't similarly compensated? Or in the latter, if better food stuffs are distributed to one section of society, will the others resent or organize against them?

Sorry for all of the questions!

The Easy Rider
Sep 21, 2006

nvining posted:

To answer this question: no, originally there wasn't an intention to have a level for the simulation of petty bureaucracy. However, shortly after you posted this we had a conversation along the lines of:

N: "So there's this goon on the SA forums who wants to know if we have a simulation layer for petty bureaucracy."
D: "... we probably should!"

So yeah. We actually like this idea a lot, although we hadn't considered it, and we will see what we can do. No idea what form it will take, though.

Welp, Clockwork Empires just went from "game I'm eagerly anticipating" to "the game I've always wanted to play". Regardless of how it plays out, I'm absolutely thrilled to hear that it's at least a topic of conversation on the design staff now.

• Locked thread