Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
I am unabashedly a fan of good steampunk (It exists! I swear!) and Dwarf Fortress (or similar games). I can not wait to hear more about this project.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Actually I have a question.

Do buildings have interiors or are they kind of black holes that citizens go into to work and exit when they're done? If so, wouldn't that cause problems with trying to stuff underground or giant one building arcology type settlements?

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

On the uses of Leyden jars posted:

DJ: Yeah, yeah. You could probably just even… Maybe the soldiers could throw them at people.

RPS: Oh my goodness.

NV: They’re not that kind of jar.

DJ: I don’t know what would happen. It would discharge…

NV: Would it?!

DJ: It totally would. Because they’re made out of glass, and they’ve just got two suspended plates in them. I don’t know if it would actually hurt anybody, though.

DB: Let’s assume it would.

DJ: Yeah, let’s assume that it would be terrible.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Dice Dice Baby posted:

It's got a cog on it :v:

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
I think they said absolutely everything is transferred via universal pipes.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
This thought struck me while I was cooking dinner tonight.

The Air Loom needs to be one of the megaprojects or secret cult doomsday devices in honor of the first case of paranoid schizophrenia, James Tilly Matthews.

Matthews believed that a gang of criminals and spies skilled in "pneumatic chemistry" had taken up residence at London Wall in Moorfields (close to Bethlem) and were tormenting him by means of rays emitted by a machine called the "Air Loom". The torments induced by the rays included "Lobster-cracking", during which the circulation of the blood was prevented by a magnetic field; "Stomach-skinning"; and "Apoplexy-working with the nutmeg grater" which involved the introduction of fluids into the skull. His persecutors bore such names as "the Middleman" (who operated the Air Loom), "the Glove Woman" and "Sir Archy" (who acted as "repeaters" or "active worriers" to enhance Matthews' torment or record the machine's activities) and their leader, a man called "Bill, or the King".

Matthews' delusions had a definite political slant: he claimed that the purpose of this gang was espionage, and that there were many other such gangs armed with Air Looms all over London, using "pneumatic practitioners" to "premagnetize" potential victims with "volatile magnetic fluid". According to Matthews, their chief targets (apart from himself) were leading government figures. By means of their "rays" they could influence ministers' thoughts and read their minds. Matthews declared that William Pitt was "not half" susceptible to these attacks and held that these gangs were responsible for the British military disasters at Buenos Aires in 1807 and Walcheren in 1809 and also for the Nore Mutiny of 1797.

In 1814 Matthews was moved to "Fox's London House", a private asylum in Hackney, where he became a popular and trusted patient. The asylum's owner, Dr. Fox, regarded him as sane. Matthews assisted with bookkeeping and gardening until his death on 10 January 1815.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
#Zebulon is a good name for an engineer and not ominous at all

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
I think you said earlier that the world is different than earth and that pretty much every area has it's own version of empire. You going to add more of these in as the game continues? Maybe add in support for playing as alternate civs with their own unique quirks?

P.S. If you make a Middle East analogue it should be ruled by the Iron Sheik.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
#Gaslamp has no conception of what normal sized eyebrows look like anymore#

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
I had always assumed steampunk's love of goggles stemmed from incorporating the popular image of early aviation.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
#the mod community will not be allowed to experience joy only suffering#

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Everyone in the thread gets priority for the beta right?

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

They really went nuts on the tags this time.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
How about huge arcologies where the workers spend their entire lives indoors?

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Man, things would be different for me if I had access to socialized beardcare.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

nvining posted:

Magic door.

That's kind of disappointing in a way. I imagine there are going to be occurances in the mines you would want to witness. I suppose instead of just shooting some dust out the entrance, you could bring up a special event window. Have a few underground sets ready and play out a little scene of a gas explosion or breaking into a Leng termite chamber or what have you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

quote:

#"in other news we argued about if you can get useful wood from cacti"
It's definitely a useable construction material, but you can't really get proper planks out out of it. I'd say it's kind of like bamboo.

• Locked thread