Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I love that fox vomit has its own particle effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

nvining posted:

A little late but here is a blog post on Tags and Events:

http://www.gaslampgames.com/2013/08/08/tags-and-events/

... if you think you see anything on our front page, you're probably imagining things.

I either missed or forgot what FSM was an acronym for, and my brain fell back on "Flying Spaghetti Monster".

Which is as accurate a mental image of how programming works as any other, I suppose.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I could stop leaning against this lamppost, but I'm only assigned mining, and my pickaxe is waaaaaay over there...

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I googled Stangenkunst.

Thank you.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Karst geography always seems moderately unattainable with the "sheet"-based landscaping most games do. I don't know the actual term, but you know what I'm talking about, right? I'm thinking mostly of Bethesda games where you can only have sheer cliffs if you have rock/cliff objects sticking out of the (admittedly steep) hillside, but practically every game with a natural setting does the same thing. Far Cry 3 had cenotes that felt proper, but it still had cliffs you could butt-surf down elsewhere.

Basically I guess I'm wondering how steep you can make your landscaping, and how stretched the ground texture will look. :frogbon:

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

nvining posted:

We use triplanar texturing: http://www.volume-gfx.com/volume-rendering/triplanar-texturing/ is a pretty good write-up - precisely to avoid this sort of stretch.

Sweet. I realize the approval of one random guy on the internet doesn't mean much, but I'm honestly not seeing a single thing about this game that I'd put in the negative column.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Grey Hunter posted:

I'm not ruling out a combination of the two! Forget Fishmen, give me Urchin Urchins!

:v:

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Spawn more Overpickles.

edit: Overcukes? Overgourds!

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Yup, those are some real nice rocks. Rocks and terrain are one of the things I think about most, because when they're poorly done it just pulls me right out of the world and leaves me thinking that I can see right through that goddamn rock from the bottom.

As per my previous post on the subject, Bethesda games are a big offender in that respect.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

7c Nickel posted:

That's kind of disappointing in a way. I imagine there are going to be occurances in the mines you would want to witness. I suppose instead of just shooting some dust out the entrance, you could bring up a special event window. Have a few underground sets ready and play out a little scene of a gas explosion or breaking into a Leng termite chamber or what have you.

One cutscene is just the Dwarf Fortress intro movie.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

quote:

If your game is about growing stronger, then strength should be a stat. If it’s about nobility or hope, why aren’t those stats?

This is marvelous advice, and now I realize why Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga had a Mustache stat.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
And does he shave himself?

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

This better be a gameplay mechanic for cargo transport to the Empire

Or better yet, shortly after the scheduled cargo zeppelin from The Empire is scheduled to arrive, a whale carcass plummets from the sky onto an unfortunate segment of your outpost, scattering delicious whale blubber and unfortunate workers willy-nilly.

Options include it bursting into horrible zombie-creating insectoid enemies or a bowl of petunias winding up in the outpost as well.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Dice Dice Baby posted:

Why "piss shivers"? Do the ageless ones etherealy tickle your prostate while you sleep?

Wouldn't cannibalistic savages be more appropriate?

What, cannibalistic savages tickling your prostate while you sleep?

I don't think this is That Kind of game.

Seriously, though, he's just trolling, and it is simultaneously the lowest-effort and least-relevant trolling I have ever seen, which is an accomplishment, so kudos as far as that goes.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
If you experience lumbering jobs lasting longer than four hours, consult your bureaucrat.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
No, there's still a very vocal minority that thinks Steam is evil DRM that will lock up all your filez if you fart wrong near gaben.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Seventh Arrow posted:

That was like a decade ago :psyduck:

Seriously. I used to be in the Steam-hater camp, because I'd heard how terrible it was that same decade ago and found that it would just hang literally all day trying to log in (My problem: I was using dialup). Upgraded my internet service last year, was persuaded to give Steam a chance (Actually it was more like I was berated for having a decade-old opinion of it), and I've never looked back.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

OwlFancier posted:

It is somewhat aided in this instance with the possibility that fishmen are literally agents of the star gods and trying to raise Rl'yeh from it's millennial slumber beneath the waves of the pacific, enslaving all mankind to the imponderable whims of great Cthulhu.

This may somewhat simplify the ethical conundrum of how to conduct your fishman foreign policy.

But we don't know that the imponderable whims of great Cthulhu are necessarily bad for us! All those people who walked into the sea, never to return may just like it so much down there that they don't want to come back! :v:

This is a joke. I would be grateful if you laughed and high-fived.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Okay, how long has that been there? :catbert:

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
So what needs to happen for a kitchen to be named a Sloppery? Insane builder? Unskilled chef?

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
With everything I see about Clockwork Empires, I swear it would not be possible to be more enthused for it. And yet, something new comes along.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

ExiledTinkerer posted:

For some reason, my irrational internal assumption had always been that CE would be interestingly served by way of a cadre of mini-modules ala some old P&P wranglings, or Gazette of Vignettes as it were, that were each self-contained fittingly outlandish scenarios big and small off from the "main game" so as to preserve that experience for all, but each deliberately based upon putting one or more systems thoroughly through the paces to feed into the main game down the line while the testers swirl their brandy glasses enrobed in miniature smoking jackets, so as not to overly chill their dominant gaming/drinking hand, after the fact to being savvy to the general lay of things whilst their erstwhile Day 1 Chums will be looking into the Ether fuming Abyss with reckless abandon in full. Really, nobody has done this outside of the Demo Module for Knights of the Chalice as far as comes to mind, but that doesn't mean fun can't be had right?

"The Cogs of Capitalism", "Murder Most Foul in a Still at Night", "The Curmudgeonly Blimphop", "Of Fishmen and Chips"---just whatever comes to mind that also vigorously plagiarize the works of presumably long dead persons whose articles and anecdotes you'd be bringing to life again and warping horribly for everybody's benefit.

You see those a lot in more traditional 4-X games, and it would be a nice feature here.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

jsoh posted:

You should pick me because I will cry if you dont

You have no eyes.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

nvining posted:

They have animations as well. The task icon shows up to indicate a site at which a task is being, or will be, done.

That is a Good Thing that I wish more Citizenry Manager Sims did.

Stalins Moustache posted:

Huh. I just noticed this game, but I'm still not sure what other games it can be compared to. I love Anno, Tropico and the Sim City games(which is pretty much every good city builder there is :v:), but which game out of those three is it the most similar to?

Of the three, it's probably most similar to Tropico. However, the roots of the game can be more closely seen in Dwarf Fortress.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I keep reading FSM as Flying Spaghetti Monster, even though it was clarified as finite state machine in the very same paragraph.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

LtSmash posted:

Mail received but I have encountered a problem. Does this mean I failed the test?

Welp, guess you're a robot, that looks perfectly legible to me.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
An eldritch mattress, to bring most maddening sleep.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
When the stars are right.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

quote:

added dev button to spawn a bottle of whisky
I imagine you're needing that one a lot. And in-game, too!

e:

quote:

removed “nuts” and “screws” from workcrew name text list because, although hilarious, we’re not in the business of double entendres
Aww. :(

e2: And of course both those jokes, or ones very like them, are in the tag cloud already.

Dareon fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jun 18, 2014

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

tldr this is humanities education in the US:

I can't stop staring at that extra polygon on the handle and wondering if that's maybe where the corporate sponsor logo is meant to go.

Axe Murder now brought to you by Tyson Chicken!

As a young man I once wondered if Mike Tyson had ever done ads for Tyson Chicken.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I'm jobless, have lots of time, and have a terrible computer so you can adjust your low end appropriately!

But I'm not very good at ticketing. I'll carefully test things to try and recreate a crash or bug, then post about it like, in the comments of a youtube video or an unrelated thread.

e: That's hyperbole, I've made decent bug posts in actual game threads. If given proper instructions, I can follow them.

Dareon fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Jul 5, 2014

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

LtSmash posted:

And isn't cabbage the Stahlmarkian way? The Clockworkians should have their own main food based historical horrific English food.

Seriously, think of the potential for shenanigans among the blood puddings.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Hello Sailor posted:

Has Mastercog been updated to the new version? I want to play Fishperson Enclave.

:golfclap:

I'm a little sad that I don't have the money to get in on this currently, but that only means I'll be getting it in a more polished form later.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Archonex posted:

Also, just tried re-enabling a ton of events. Time to see what happens. :getin:

Hey now, there are some things man was not meant to know! Messing with Elder Gods is one thing, but let's not get crazy.

Also the landing craft is supposed to be how your immigrants and supplies arrive, or at least one option.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I'm now picturing a Diggle in a labcoat with a tiny clipboard. :3:

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Daynab posted:

This week's blogpost: https://www.gaslampgames.com/2014/10/22/fight-or-flight/

Going into detail about how believable combat (or flight) behavior would look and how to make it that way in a game.
It's pretty complicated!

The fishpeople are wielding enormous carrots.

I realize they're meant to be coral clubs, but they have that specific shade of carrot orange to them. And if you made them much pinker they'd look like the sausages.

e:

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Soldiers carrying an object and there rifle will push their rifle through said object to fire it. Currently this has resulted in fishmen being menaced with fresh fruit.

Battle the twin seaborne menaces of Fishmen and Scurvy at the same time!

Dareon fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Oct 23, 2014

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

nvining posted:

- 1 bottle gluten-free beer alternative

Is it non-alcoholic? :v:

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

nvining posted:

Aren't we all dreaming of a squamous Christmas, just like the ones we used to know? Where the monoliths glisten, and urchins listen to hear fishmen through the snow...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tTHn2tHhcI

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

nvining posted:

This has less to do with civilization and more to do with poor pathfinding FSMs - well, the start and stop behaviour at least. I do think people being chased by bandits or whatever should run to civilization, and I *believe* this is the plan, but I'm not sure.

I'm still reading FSM as Flying Spaghetti Monster, even though I well know what it means by now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Goodpancakes posted:

That colonial spirit! :911:

They're supposed to be vaguely British, not American manifest destiny types.

• Locked thread