Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alkanos
Jul 20, 2009

Ia! Ia! Cthulhu Fht-YAWN

nvining posted:

For anybody who remembers the Dredmor beta, this will mainly consist of me - and now four other programmers - running around yelling "EVERYTHING'S ON FIRE!" And, you know, about eighty new builds per day.

On a Dwarf Fortress style simulation engine.

So, yeah. Good times but only for masochists.

See, this is the way a beta should be. Nowadays it seems like most are effectively buggy demos, which is often a really bad idea in every way but saving a few bucks. :bahgawd:

Anyway, I absolutely loved Dredmore and the support it got post release, so this is a day 1 buy. Though it kinda sucks that day 1 is more than a year away...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkanos
Jul 20, 2009

Ia! Ia! Cthulhu Fht-YAWN
I was looking at your diagram and one question came to mind. I saw that some modules were marked at optional, so what's the point of having non-optional modules? I guess they could be considered a movable part of the floorplan, but it seems a bit overcomplex. If I'm building a sawmill, I'm obviously going to need a saw so why isn't it a built-in part? The optional ones make sense, and like you talked about they add to the "This looks totally cool" feeling.

Other than that, this blog post talked about all those thing that make me warm inside. The logistic stuff is what makes me love city-building games and it gets overlooked way too often.

Alkanos
Jul 20, 2009

Ia! Ia! Cthulhu Fht-YAWN

nvining posted:

Oh, it's mainly to encourage plumbing and fun and stuff. Not everything we do has a rational reason, other than that we feel like it. :) More specifically, I imagine that it'll end up manifesting itself as another way of requiring certain things in order before you can build a larger factory, or what have you. Modules, of course, have their own supply requirements (an iron kiln requires 8 iron plates, whatever.)

That makes sense. After I posted I also realized it would let you do things like upgrading without rebuilding the whole building, adding additional required modules to improve efficiency, and other fun stuff.

• Locked thread