Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

BobTheJanitor posted:

I want various prepurchasing tiers with increasingly ridiculous names that all cost the same amount of money and give you the same product.

I would be fine with this, and/or some way to make your steam pipes clear and full of something improbable like rainbows or butterflies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

I found this thread (and by extension Clockwork Empires) because it was linked in another thread, and I want to say to you developer guys who read it: I'm incredibly loving excited about Clockwork Empires. A good citybuilder is more addictive to me than heroin is to most people, an I'm really psyched about a lot of the things I read on your site (I read all of the development updates from first to last inside of 48 hours).

Projects like this one are the reasons why I normally refrain as much as possible from following the development of a game; what if I really really like it but it's going to be a long time before it's finished?!

:arghfist::monocle: CURSE YOU GASLAMP GAMES!

e: vvv it was either the SimCity 2013 "this game is literally an abomination" thread, or a thread for another citybuilder (I found that thread because it was linked in the SimCity thread) in development whose name I have forgotten because Clockwork Empires grabbed my attention over it.

LonsomeSon fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jun 19, 2013

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

nvining posted:

Short answer: we agree with this statement and we are aware of it (and it's most of our design philosophy.)

You know, every time you guys respond to a question in this thread, I become more psyched about eventually playing this game (because your answers are typically the kind of thing I want to hear is on your minds)!

Of course, that means that the bar for the coveted "SA Forums User LonsomeSon Way loving Loved Our Game" award is set pretty high, and you're nudging it ever higher with each passing week.

Mzbundifund posted:

I'm generally not a fan of this sort of thing. Either the effect ends up so weak that it might as well not be there, or it's so strong that it creates losing scenarios because you didn't micromanage Bloke Toadhate's house selection away from the decorative pond. It feels like either you do a lot of busywork or you just take the chance of a catastrophic murder spree or something due to randomly generated causes you couldn't reasonably become aware of.

I feel like it would be cool to have a system like this, and have it potentially (but not always) result in lengthy murder or arson sprees. But to also integrate murder and arson sprees into the game in such a way that they're not really catastrophes for your settlement. Or, are only really catastrophic if they happen to hit Blokes with Important Skills.

Not only would that feed into the general "keeping a stiff upper lip while living in a psychically-distorted industrial hellscape" vibe really well, but it would let those of us who want to design a factory around causing maximum angst and madness amongst its workers do so with much more control and effect!

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Spaceking posted:

Rendering the fat would also increase the consistency of the resulting meat bricks.

I guarantee you, sir, that my meat bricks are of the finest in the industry, dense and uniform in consistency to a degree never before seen!!

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Orv posted:

Those had better be standard issue uniforms.

All standard meatbrick sizes are offered, good sir. Baked in a meat-brick curing oven which is itself made out of my very own famous meatbricks, Ogham-brand Runed MeatBricks are hard as stone and without the troubling post-orphan odour which some of my competitor's products are associated with.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Demiurge4 posted:

I'll build a god!

Build God, Then We'll Talk

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

So, by all means, give colonists buffs to learning and physical/mental stats if they're well fed, rested, paid, and live in good conditions, but just making everyone better over time would be a bit odd.

I'll have you know, sir, that after having breathed the fumes from my MeatBrick ovens*, the skill at MeatBrick Moulding, MeatBrick Baking, and MeatBrick Laying becomes written into the very gonads of my workers, allowing the skill to breed true in future generations.

*Certainly Not Fired By Some Kind Of Artefact

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

TheChad posted:

So what is in the email? :)

Coupons for the purchase of Happy Homes(r) brand Meat Bricks(tm), now available in Orphan, Poet, and Miner flavors!

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

nvining posted:

Golden tickets only at this time, thanks. Not to say that we don't notice initiative in these parts...

I can't remember if I had previously registered on your forums or not, so I went and did it again. In as "The Valentine's Crab".

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

nvining posted:

Okay, finally got Revision 14 out the door.

One step closer to the ticketless, slavering cretins in this thread such as myself getting to actually look behind the curtain!

Deadmeat5150 posted:

There are a number of bugs in this latest build that are irritating but the fun is already there. Once the basics are down, about the first three colonies, that emergent storytelling is already there! I don't think I can go more into it yet.

Uuuugh I make it a point not to closely follow the development of games I'm really looking forward to precisely so that I don't have to hang breathlessly on every single word and detail.

Curse you, Gaslamp Games!!! (early access can't come fast enough)

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Morning posted:

Which happen to be made of too many angles to be natural.

Ms Cogwhistle's MeatGears (tm), now with 20% less Orphan Meat!

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

deathbagel posted:

A deer block castle does sound like a place I'd want to live!

I say now, just what are we to do with all of these orphans if Her Majesty's subjects are swayed by such gauche and obviously Foreign architectural notions.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

StarkRavingMad posted:

Clockwork Empires - Early Access to Mr. Steelcogworth's Tasteful Nuts

The only better thread titles exist on higher thresholds of consciousness, of which only those in the depths of insanity have even a glimmering of understanding.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

So far my testing sessions have ended inconclusively, one after getting a kitchen, sawmill, and lower-class barracks up and then heading out to do errands and the other quitting in disgust after losing 8 colonists to a fishman attack during which my 3 soldiers were busily picking up case lots of pickled fungus and devouring them whole!

On the positive side, however, my sawmill's overseer became a cultist within the first two days of the latter game, and renamed his shop to something like "The Twisting Hellpit."

Anyway, on the off chance that I manage to hold a colony together for a week, what should I be aiming to erect other than the obvious farms, sawmill, kitchen, housing? Do we have any idea how many cabbage farms of what size should support our initial 15 victims colonists? Is there a way to add more things to a structure once it's been laid down?

LonsomeSon fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jul 19, 2014

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

nvining posted:

Okay, this is now fighting "Aurochs Thunderdome" as best proposal. I don't know how to fix this any more: do we make colonists fight the aurochs, or put them to work operating Carpentry Workbenches?

Aurochs Thunderdome will never not be the answer to every question.

e: vvv I agree, it could well only be part of the answer!

LonsomeSon fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Sep 7, 2014

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Goodpancakes posted:

I was hoping for an auroch powered hamster wheel gun. Maybe it fires accidentally when the animal gets spooked or bored.

A device which can replace the soldier-cranked gatling action with a connection to a giant livestock treadmill?

The winners of Aurochs Thunderdome are given coveted positions on the Aurochs Militia!

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Ratoslov posted:

Devs plz implement barber shops and real-time beard growth.

An in-game artefact which, when integrated into any in-game device, causes the player's facial hair growth rate to increase exponentially until the save is deleted.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Pharnakes posted:

I wonder what kind of crops you grow on farms that are literally windows into infinity :stare:

Feature idea: if a farm grows sufficient other crops due to cultist activity it will eventually turn into a portal like that.

Crop sprites of Infinity Farms become visually smaller and smaller, allowing more of them to fit into the farm boundaries. Farm output increases inversely proportional to crop shrinkage, with gradually-escalating chances that colonists will simply vanish while attempt to harvest enormous bushels from tiny plants.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Gibbo posted:

Are there ever going to be any sort of "Victory conditions"? Like waging eldritch war and successfully (and forcefully) converting the motherland (even offscreen).

Or is it still just a sandbox only affair for now?

Those In The Know have discussed the broad strokes of objective systems, including in the distant past an idea that your character is one of a faceless throng of potential Governors in the Colonial Ministry, who compiles a service record and/or meta-game traits as a result of what happens in your various colonies.

Including some sort of Success Via Failure, where you get awards and credit towards promotion or whatever regardless of whether your colony becomes a thriving logging and canning burg trundling along in service of the Empire or you and your bodyguards are forced to return to the homeland by building a raft out of the remaining partially-eaten corpses of your ex-constituency. Considering the delightfully macabre approach taken to the game thus far, I have high hopes!

e: I would expect what we have available to retain the sandbox-only-affair status it has for quite awhile, though. Watching this game take shape has been the only positive experience with Early Access I have ever had, but the basic town-building-resource-management part still feels far from complete.

LonsomeSon fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Feb 12, 2015

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Bernardo Orel posted:

Just make them say "Enterprise, two for transport" just before they disappear.

Aaaand you just stole my "Computer, end program." joke :negative:

vvvvv goddammit, I was hoping for some kind of hilarious bug which resulted in your citizens being able to sell buildings to traders from other factions.

LonsomeSon fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jun 28, 2015

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

quote:

This way, you can see how many people are doing the base work of resource mangling, and how many people need to get new stockpile jobs assigned to them.

Tell me this was intentional! :allears:

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

It's been several dozen revisions since the last time I played this game, and the progress since then has been pretty goddamn awesome. I've run multiple colonies for 20+ days without crashes or save file corruption, been able to dick around with the majority of the workshops and poo poo, it's great!

I would however like to be able to replace NCOs by some means other than (I assume anyway, I have yet to have this happen) good immigration luck. In my very first game, my NCO was Doomed from the start and actually the only colonist to be killed in three weeks, and in the next game my NCO formed a work crew which had a military name, but refused to wear a uniform, take rally point orders, or fight when all of the nearby bandit camps raided me at once. She did get good at cooking, though, before her death. Anyway thread, please tell me that I'm overlooking something obvious!

Overall, really encouraging leaps were made in the last several months and CE is hella fun to play on its own merits, now. Also poo poo like this

nvining posted:

You've convinced me. I'm reprogramming the workshop code to do this for 42B and we'll see what happens.

is always, as others have said, loving awesome to see.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

So now that I have both worked out how to mass-produce firearms and was given the hot tip about what the barracks actually does, my colonies have become virtually invulnerable to attack once I've accumulated enough upstanding citizens to throw into the meat grinder noble combat against the howling savages of the frontier, who hate us for our civilization. Also, as a military veteran, I find the system where militia soldiers have to do X number of push-ups in order to become professional soldiers exceptionally apt.

Now, based on my most recent experience, putting beds into the Barracks results in whoever went looking first sleeping there. Is there any reason why I shouldn't just build multiple Barracks filled with Delightful, Enticing Cots instead of lower-class bunkhouses? I'd rather avoid redundancy where possible.

Also, is there a quick guide as to how many rugged frontiersfolk one should have assigned per X area of farms? At this point, other than smallish plots for flax and opium, I'm basically only growing large amounts of maize due to its ability to be either stewed or brewed into Refreshing Beverages. For that matter, I've been putting down 6x6 farms based on something dimly remembered from Earlier in the Release; is there some kind of Optimal Farm Size? It seems that a single work crew can do assignments on multiple fields; is there any disadvantage to larger/very large farms? The farm layout tool, at least for me, semi-regularly glitches and results in a farm which is one tile smaller than the footprint I drew.

I've been having the floor of my kitchen disappear every game, and in retrospect it's because I changed my default kitchen layout to 5x3 with the ovens all on the rear wall...though I typically stash my initial stone crucible and charcoal furnace in a single corner of my Metalworks, in order to leave room for Progress!, without Floor Transparency issues.

Which I guess is a good segue into the burning question: do upgraded modules allow colonists to work faster, or break less often, or any benefit other than style (which is of course worth pursuing for its own sake, but not in advance of carbines and revolvers)?

e: vvvv you're like my hero and poo poo. If ever I encounter a living human being with a Steam account and who is on the fence about CE, I'm going to buy them an Early Access copy just on principle. ee: my barracks-as-bunkhouses question wasn't supposed to be a dig at you and yours, I was actually asking a threadful of theoretical power gamers if they've found a downside to doing that.

eee: I figured they would eventually provide a benefit, but am informed that for now substantially increased Murder Flavors is a more worthwhile pursuit. Because, even if they're just for style, stylish killing tools have always been more appealing to me than stylish constructive tools!

LonsomeSon fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Sep 4, 2015

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

SeanBeansShako posted:

Barbers should be allowed to take the teeth from the dead to make a fantastic set of false teeth for the living.

Even after all this time, the CE development (e)thread can still make me :stare:

LonsomeSon fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Oct 2, 2015

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Saint Freak posted:

I had a bandit ask to join my colony last night, but it was just a ruse because as I clicked to accept him he cleverly crashed my game. Bandits are crafty.

The first time I did this, the bandit's former comrades chased her right up to my colony before finally killing her, then decided to raid the place since they were already there. It was also before this thread educated me on the purpose of the barracks, so I had assigned my existing NCO to it before demolishing it since it wasn't doing anything, making him a normal overseer. I lost at least three overseers and some non-zero number of chaff colonists, as well as half my supply of booze and copper bars.

Never again.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

nvining posted:

BTW: if anybody would like a Clockwork Empires forum avatar, let me know and I'll stick some fishpeople on you.

I volunteer to be a fishman with an intimidating hat!

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

I don't actually remember when this was, but a few revisions ago there was a start option for a ton of workers but 0 supplies. I found that pretty good for jumping through the early-game slog. Since all of your work crews have several peons, you could box-select resource patches and also complete construction reasonably quickly.

I mean, folks will be eating raw fungi and meat chunks for a bit, since stone ovens require planks, but it's all for Progress! Regaining that option (potentially especially with some kind of malus to liven things up further) would be pretty boss.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

nvining posted:

Just leaving this here:

Marry me

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

nvining posted:

b) all the buildings render inside out. :catdrugs:

First: I love this game.

Second: can we see what this looks like?!?

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

I don't know, I always sort of assumed that hats were going to be the at-a-glance indicator for colonist class (and, by deviations from the norm, various degrees and/or flavors of occultism). But in a nebulous sort of "yes, this is a thing we have thought of and found appealing" way similar to the building connections for steam/mechanical/other power.

I feel like Hats Are Appropriate, but also that hat fetishism is a danger. Some semi-random or somehow-varying sets of hats similar to how other aspects of colonists are varied, definitely not hands-on customization or anything clashingly zany. At least at first; anyway I would be happiest with whatever the next set of features to be rolled out for testing turns out to be!

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

I would like to second the person who commented on the article; We Built This Colony With Hugs and Frontier Barracks Simulator were probably my two favorite monthly promotional art pieces. Followed immediately by December's, because driving your clerks harder in order to keep up with the colony burning down is the exact sort of feeling I want to be able to get out of this game.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

nvining posted:

power your buildings and run axles and things all over

Stopped reading here to immediately post :aaaaa:I feel shame for being this excited over a video game feature!:aaaaa:

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Triple A posted:

There could also be heating, since that's fairly important in arctic environments and during winters. All that would be needed is a boiler for the aristocrats, a fireplace for our middle management and a stove for plebeian buildings.

Sure this sort of slapdash accomodation may well be made in the earlier stages of a Colony, but Progress! demands that we pipe live steam to each residential structure, to be circulated through the floors in order to provide warmth. Anything that could possibly go wrong with this probably wouldn't be that bad, get to it!

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

I caught up on this thread after being out of town for awhile right before bed last night, and then had dreams in which the Clockwork Empires music was playing. What the hell, guys?!

e: playing on the experimental branch, poo poo has gotten a lot better again! However, killing Giant Beetles (and possibly smaller bettles) is rewarding me with buckets of lacquer, is this intended behavior?

again: What do I need to put into a Barber Shop in order for it to work? I think the last time I actually constructed one was like 10 or 15 builds ago, and at that time they would cause my game to crash within half a day of their completion.

Right now I'm going with a chair or two and a barber pole on the outside.

LonsomeSon fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Mar 10, 2016

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Geokinesis posted:

When can I snoot flesh bricks?

Ah, more importantly (if you ask me), is When May We Build Upgraded Snoots Out Of MeatBricks?

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Just watch out for snoot cultists. Last thing we need is more Snoot Suit Riots.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Honky Dong Country posted:

Welp, if windows still require resources then my colonists can kiss windows goodbye forever.

The carpentry crew petitioned to be allowed to spend an hour or so of their sleep shift every night working on windows for the colony instead. Since they had so much extra time they didn't want I just lengthened their work shifts by three hours a day. Making The World Safe For Progress!

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Something I can do which might actually help? Sign me up! Hopefully I manage to find something useful...

http://www.giantbomb.com/clockwork-empires/3030-39530/ This is a fairly decent three-paragraph overview of the game type, general gameplay goals, and the overall flavor/setting of the game, followed by system requirements. Last updated August of 2014.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/clockwork-empires-happens-sims-goes-colonial-summons-cthulhu/ A more in-depth look at the game, I didn't read the whole thing in detail but it seems to go into fairly accurate detail about the gameplay and themes, with several screenshots. April 2014.

http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/view/just-played/103809-A-Clockwork-Empire A 'just-played' video from one of the early access builds. August 2014.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/getting-drunk-and-getting-high-in-clockwork-empires/1100-6418440/ Starts with poets and fishpeople, leads in to the Memory system and manipulating it via drugs/booze, and then continues to the paperwork-for-statistics ideas and otherworldly corruption. March 2014.

http://www.amazon.com/Impossible-Cube-Novel-Clockwork-Empire/dp/0451464508 Probably unrelated, but when I saw it I immediately thought "The Impossible Meat Cube!" Which on further consideration, I find a great name for an Otherworldly power/fuel source of some kind, or some other upgrade/component in a high-tech corrupted workshop. Probably requires several Meat Cubes (friendly fishpeople) in order to create.

http://wegotthiscovered.com/gaming/clockwork-empires-hands-on-preview/ Moderate-depth impressions from an Early Access build, with the Early Access trailer. "2 years ago"

http://www.destructoid.com/clockwork-empires-will-make-sure-you-make-your-own-fun-272302.phtml Talks up the goal of story narratives in the game development, and makes some points about the game's flavor. Couldn't find a date, but from before Early Access.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/04/09/clockwork-empires-isnt-the-city-building-sim-i-expected More flavor discussion. April 2014.

Eight is enough for now, but it's just from, like, the first third of the results from my first search so give the word if you want more!

LonsomeSon fucked around with this message at 03:05 on May 10, 2016

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Ohhhhh man, starting to add some depth to the gross systems! Really looking forward to the midgame of a colony being a mad rush to keep plates spinning while your colonists gleefully burn anything in sight down as soon as you're not paying attention to them. And the endgame: picking the start conditions for the next colony, show willing stiff upper lip and all that, by cog!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

SeanBeansShako posted:

What happens when it backfires?

My shelves say that nothing happens, it's Perfectly Safe.

• Locked thread