Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

In DF, I like that when poo poo hits the fan, it's generally because of something you've hosed up. Either your defences weren't good enough or you forgot your little people needed to eat or that the crocodile pool didn't work out quite how you envisioned. That's why I keep playing it, because every time I do I learn from the last time. (Or don't :v:) Games with bullshit "rocks fall, everyone dies" deaths don't generally keep me playing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Something I haven't seen mentioned yet, how much is this game gonna cost?

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Because of this I feel the same way. I was excited as hell for Spore. I was let down. I was excited as hell for Sword of the Stars 2. I was let down. Now I'm excited as hell for this. Please don't let me down.

Please don't be Spore. :smith:

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Alchemist who doesn't want to pay the dangerous-experimental-potion-disposal-fees and dumps it down the sink, infecting the whole city with weird ailments and illnesses.

VV If the tear was in some poor sods cellar you might not notice it until something really terrible comes through...

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Sep 12, 2012

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

nvining posted:

There's some fighting going on here. David is a big proponent of having absolutely *everything* be in the 3D view; I want the ability to pull up a 2D viewport for a window so you can actually see/edit a 2D blueprint, possibly with layers. It remains to be seen who will actually win this fight.

Yes, in some form, but I don't know what yet. Building duplication and copying seems like a good idea, really.

2D views are good!

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

So can we pick any citizen and see the world through their eyes like in FPS mode? :v:

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

It'd be like DF adventure mode! Build up your little city and then take control of a citizen to play in it!

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

The fact you could see what you were producing in Settlers was my favourite thing. Sometimes I'd produce loads of boats and then shift them from warehouse to warehouse, just so I could watch people walk around with boats on their heads.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Can I pipe corpses into my meat-pie factory and have a Sweeny Todd / Soylent Green / horsemeat scandal as the information slowly leaks out?

Breaking news, Citizen X is claiming he found a button in his meat-pie yesterday! His wife, Citizen Y, says she found the rest of the shirt in hers! The factory involved states "They should be grateful, you get prizes in cereal, why not in your meat pies!" Sales have increased tenfold.

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Feb 21, 2013

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Yeah, I'm happy with watching that. Sometimes it can be interesting just to see how people work!

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

DF9 talk. Personally I've been following Maia for a while now, which is awfully similar in premise, and there's also Rimworld coming up. Add on non-space games like Prison Architect, Towns, Gnomoria and DF, and there's a lot of building games around at the moment, it seems to be the zeitgeist.

But saying that, I'm still looking forward to CE as much as any of them, so you guys must be doing something right!

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

I may have signed up for the forums too, under the same name as here. Now to actually post!

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Together, we ARE your forums!

That's one way to build a community I suppose.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

You can do it in the original Settlers too. I remember when I was a kid I had one town with a deer "penned" into a field right in the center, I always had a little window open at the side watching it. :3:

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

If those are not the actual quality levels in this game, something is terribly wrong.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Poil posted:

What's up with all the random lines you're not allowed to build on? It looks kinda awful. :(

I'm guessing it's meant to be where the terrain changes height? But yeah, that does look super irritating...

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Sent :)

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

tHe pod is vEry warm and comfortabLe and you should not at all be worried about the exPerience. i aM happy hEre.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

The above image shows a young woman performing a meat-based levitation ritual, perhaps just the first step of a larger meat-raising career. Her teacher looks on and offers advice, but not encouragement.

(I have received permission to post this :))

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

I'm now envisioning a scenario-game where you could wield off the terrors by building yourself an extravagant house, locking all the doors, barring the windows... Spending more and more on statues to ward off evil...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Poil posted:

The thought of pompous aristocrat tourists showing up to shoot a few fishmen and then conveniently leaving before the reprisal would be so frustrating. It's perfect.

Tourists around the time this game is "set" were awesome. They'd come to your little city in the middle of nowhere, break bits off your monuments, nick anything small enough to fit in their pocket, shoot all your rare animals, be racist to the natives, drag all your civic leaders and museum operators around by the noses for 3 days and then gently caress off again leaving everything in a shambles. The Grand Tour!

• Locked thread