Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

nvining posted:

Disclaimer: the following opinions are mine and not necessarily all of Gaslamp; however, I am personally a big fan of adding value-added services to support people who don't pirate your game, be that the convenience of rapid updates, online achievements, Steam Trading Cards, or whatever. I think if you make having a big, ominous master server something that is a service people love, rather than something that they have to call home to every 15 minutes or so, then everybody wins.
The only sane stance to have really. I was already going to buy this game Day 1 now I wish I could give you more money.

Maybe I can convince my wife to buy a copy. She enjoys city builders but I think the Darkness Rising aspect put her off a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
Everyone could just probably put 'bandwagon' in their posts

Anyway yeah I rarely visit a developer's forum anymore. I have signed up for the newsletter but I mostly prefer the Something Awful Steam thread for my general gaming information and follow individual game threads if something peaks my interest.

Almost without fail there's someone on SA far more motivated than me to run out and gather all the interesting info and bring it back to a single thread instead of worrying about a million different developer forums.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
I have to say I'm very jealous.

Though it's awesome that some people are getting rewarded in this thread. Can't wait to hear stories from them.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
I really enjoy playing Alpha games (in short bursts I guess I wouldn't make a great playtester).

Just seeing what each patch adds or changes and how the balance of the game shifts. It's just fascinating to see. Also really helps you understand developer logic once and awhile.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
I was watching some old Kitchen Nightmares and some godawful cook called himself a 'meat sculptor' I immediately thought of this thread.

I can only think two ways to use that title and neither of them fit in a restaurant. Would work well in this game though.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

1stGear posted:

Kinda confused as to why they're doing an Earliest Access but whatever, got that poo poo.
I'm guessing it's an Alpha state they only want enthusiasts to see not the general public.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
Paid my money though mainly to support the development. Probably going to only play a couple of hours or so until it's further along.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Overminty posted:

Just paid for this and got to the humble page to get my key, only for it to just say that it had been redeemed and will be available to download when ready. I've already raised a ticket with humble, just wondering if it's the same for anyone else.
Unless I'm misunderstanding your post that's how it works now (HB no longer gives keys) the game is sent directly to your linked Steam account.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
Well it's unplayable on my work computer. Takes several mins to generate a map and when it does the framerate is a jerky mess. I don't know if you're looking for specs but this thing is:

Athlon II X2 250 3GHz
4GB Ram
Windows 7 64bit
Geforce 240

Shame because I was hoping to fiddle around with it during the day.

Edit: This isn't a complaint BTW it works fine on my home computer and I don't expect an Alpha to be optimized. Just providing feedback.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Dareon posted:

They're supposed to be vaguely British, not American manifest destiny types.
Er not really up on British history are you?

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
One AI change I'd really like to see is people assigned to a building treat repairing broken items in the building they're working in as high priority.

It's really annoying when ovens break in a busy colony and suddenly I'm running short of cooked food because nobody can stop building cots/etc to fix it. Or is there a way to assign tasks like that manually? (sorry only just now started playing this game with any seriousness so I may not understand some things about getting people to do things). I always turn Construction Jobs back on for assigned work crews just to hope someone gets around to fixing all the broken crap I have all the time. Even before anything breaks.

Also thank you so much for the shift+click = +10 items change. I was dying for that.

Darkhold fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Aug 9, 2015

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
You guys are great. First big sale you're in after release and alot of my friends are going to get gift copies of your game if they want it or not. :cheers:

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
Yeah talk about washing the taste of DF-9 out of my mouth. Unless of course tomorrow you announce you're calling the game finished and releasing it as a full product at full price.

I'm curious about what the endgame plans are. If someone has a link to an update that talks about that it'd be great. As of now I'm guessing your colony being overrun with horrors and cults? I kinda feel I've gotten all I can out of the game in its current form for awhile there's not much going on after you hit 100 and have enough mines/farms working.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
Well you did just inspire me to write my first steam review. Wish I was witty or clever but all you got was a thumbs up.

Did cause me to read a few which is always a mistake. An unsurprising number of people don't seem to understand Early Access at all.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Turtlicious posted:

Can I get a rough estimation of where the game is at currently?
The Development progress bars

If you want to go by 'feels' I'd say the early game feels pretty done with some midgame and no late game/end game.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
Yeah I don't recommend it for anyone not interested in seeing a work in progress but I thought that went without saying.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
I always make peace with everyone until I can afford to get the military squad with prestige points then I use it clear out any bandit camps near resource nodes I need. By the time I have enough stuff to start making military squads my game is usually getting pretty twitchy and is starting to crash.

But yeah a foreign invasion early game is usually so damaging that it's just time to give up.

nvining you're probably already aware of this but job hierarchy for goods is pretty bad. For instance 4 fully staffed kitchens with a set up like 50 Corn, 50 bread, 50 pumpkin stew etc goes idle all the time as the resources run out and has trouble feeding even 60 people but the same setup with 100 stew produces more than enough. They seem to go idle when they say run out of corn and 4 guys sit around while the last piece of corn is cooked before everyone switches to bread but if it's just generic stew they have no problem just grabbing whatever is available.

The new stacking is great. It's so nice not seeing 100 blocks of clay and 100 bottles of booze taking up all the space.

Speaking of clay it seems like clay/sand/rock shouldn't be produced from normal mines. I'd assume something like a clay pit on special nodes, rock quarry wherever you want and maybe a rock crusher in the ceramics shop to produce sand? There certainly needs to be some way of getting rid or limiting these items because they just build up for no purpose currently.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
Well I see what you're going for there but it doesn't work very well as a game system.

It's not hard to be in a situation where you have 4 kitchens running. They're all looking for say corn and 4 have just been harvested. All four kitchens now have one worker being useful and four being idle. Just before those four finish a few more pieces of corn are farmed so a couple more workers wander out picking up the odd bits while the majority of the staff sits around. Meanwhile you have 100 wheat doing nothing. It just doesn't scale unless you just focus on one food at a time or have such massive surpluses of everything it doesn't matter.

Metalworking also suffers pretty badly from this kind of design as you'd expect your production line to be able to Charcoal-Iron Bar-Plate pretty naturally instead everything constantly grinds to a halt as only one thing gets done at a time. At least though with that it's not a daily thing you have to keep running smoothly or you suffer.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

nvining posted:

You've convinced me. I'm reprogramming the workshop code to do this for 42B and we'll see what happens.
I've said it before but you are awesome.

Next thing on my wishlist is adding a resource bin to the metalworker. Instead of making a piece of charcoal walking all the way out to the stockpile setting it down so they can turn around and pick it back up to make the bar it'd be great if they had a bin you can add filters to in the actual workshop. Make a piece of charcoal do a check to see if the bin is empty and accepts charcoal and then chuck it in there.

It'd be good for any workshop that has multi-part recipes but it really feels like the smithy needs that. You could even go really crazy and make 'stock bin' part of your storage code and have idle workers going around putting ores and raw food in bins.

Edit: I dunno if you'd want a general bin that accepts everything the shop needs with filters or specific bins like coal/ore/vegetable/meat so you have to make larger buildings so there's a space/goods trade off. Anyway something to think about and I hope you find a good idea.

Darkhold fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Aug 25, 2015

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

nvining posted:

Okay, the workshop change is in, and it feels good. So we'll ship it and we'll see if people love it or hate it or whatever.

The vague, tentative plan at some point is to have a destination stockpile for workshop commodities, which can be either inside, or outside the workshop where people will try to put things first. Might try to get that in for Rev 43 at some point, because I've already ripped the entire mess of stockpile code to pieces anyhow I may as well finish the job.
Great to hear

quote:

As it happens, it should actually do that automatically, because the crucibles and the smelting units do different things. So with the new workshop assignment code, if you have the following assignments in order:

1. Make guns
2. Make steel
3. Smelt iron

Assuming no iron is available, your overseer will smelt the iron. Then, since iron is available, they will make the steel; then, finally, they will make the gun. Then, no iron is available. So they will smelt the iron...

Just have a work crew dedicated to hauling, or a pool of unassigned labourers. They should all haul by default.
Another good quality of life addition would be to put an extra button next to multi-part items that when you toggle it the worker checks and makes all the required items automatically. Probably not an alpha addition but this is something that players always appreciate (or mod in if not present in the final game).

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
Ran into this twice now on early colonies just starting out. I get an error that says something like work string error and the person gets locked into cooking a steak for eternity.

Just FYI. I guess steak is off the menu. Had two people lock up in one game and started over and had it happen in the second game.Both times I had steak as high on the list of things I wanted the kitchen to produce.

Going to verify my cache and see if it happens again.

Edit: third time

Error:String 'fsm support' :92 FSM.State error hit update citizen

Double Edit: alright I'm fairly sure this is a bug as well. My naturalists haven't found any nodes other than rough stone block. Happened in my other two games but I didn't think anything of it as I quit out of them early because of the kitchen bug. This game I've had about 12 stone block nodes and nothing else. They were running about 4+ on the first two attempts when I quit them.

Darkhold fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Aug 28, 2015

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
Well I can't play because the world is stone.

The steak thing can be ignored but there's no getting around the lack of minerals.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

SeanBeansShako posted:

Just a quick suggestion reguarding the UI, can the flatten ground marker be a different colour to the unexplored resource marker in the future when you can do it?
The marker isn't that big of a deal IMO I just hope they do a color code when you're placing the mine showing what (discovered) minerals are where.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
Wait did you take away the workhouse population start? :argh: That was my favourite one by far.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
Just a quick question I have someone that goes to the barbershop after the barber has gone to sleep just about every day. Is this because the code has him seeking treatment as a low priority so he's wanting for the end of his workshift (if so I think it needs to be changed) or is it because I have my barber assigned to other tasks so he's not idle while nobody needs treatment (in which case is the barber going to get more tasks so there's not a workcrew that's idle most of the time)?

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
Are you planning on adding ranching? It really feels like that's a missing part of the game now. It'd be an interesting trade off if you hunt down birds/cows for immediate food or corral them for long term food source.

I also think that having colonists without beds make some kind of grass mat to sleep on at night would make it a little less silly having everyone sleeping on the floor until you can get the flax plants growing.

Any word on the mineral survey icons being changed or a better way to display mineral locations when you're placing mines? I know that was on the to do list just curious.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
It's been a busy week and I kinda scanned the thread to get caught up again so sorry if this was covered in the early game chat already in the thread.

It always plays out exactly the same way with me building the same buildings and crossing my fingers I don't get screwed over by hostile events too early. I would assume this will change as more is added to the game. I'm not sure what to suggest but there really needs to be some feeling of making choices based off the starting location/resources that's just not present in the current game. Now it's all about level terrain, get farming started, and look for nodes. I don't even really care where I'm at or what the local resources are because no matter what I'm going to be doing the same 5 actions and building the same five buildings with little variation.

Obviously early access problems but hopefully in the long run you'll figure out a way to make the starting location have a serious impact on what's important to get running first and branching ways to grow your colony that feel valid.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
I always build max sized farms with full work crews. In my last playthrough 6 full sized farms with 4 kitchens barely covered 100 people. Raw food was ok and could be reduced but cooked food was hard to keep going.

So easily half my colony was dedicated to farm production. If 20% is the goal either I'm really screwing up or something isn't working right.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
Can't say I'd like the idea of it spoiling.

I think it'd be better if there was things you can add to the kitchen to make it produce more. A kitchen with a workbench and spice rack to prepare food produces 2 finished per 1 raw or something like that.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

nvining posted:

Which crop?
I've also had the massive die off with Wheat as well in two different games. It goes from everything going fine to having half the crop die for seemingly no reason.

Had pumpkin do it once.

Had several crashes with adding modules to buildings. Windows/beds if I was adding several very quickly. A few repeatable times with doors on corners of buildings.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

nvining posted:

A little mayonnaise is nice in a sandwich. You don't want to just eat big scoopfuls of mayonnaise straight out of the jar. Probably.
You haven't watched the Simply Sara videos have you?

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

nvining posted:

Why do I click random Youtube links people send me on this forum? Whyyyyyyyyyyyy
Just reminding you that eldrich horrors aren't just monsters from the sea.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

nvining posted:

We actually forgot today is blogpost day, so here's a pile of hastily assembled screenshots and cat pictures:

https://www.gaslampgames.com/2015/11/25/somehow-we-forgot-that-its-wednesday/
Would if help if I explained my build order? Maybe some of my food problems are related to that.

I build a full sized farm with a kitchen in the corner forming an L shape around it. I set a food only stockpile along the 'north' side of of the farm. I slowly increase my farms in a 3x2 grid though most of them stay fallow until I need them. I use the middle two farms for misc. goods (flax, opium) until I have enough of the spare items switching them to food over time. Meanwhile as I need I add more L shaped kitchens to the other corners of my farm grid. I always add max work crews to these structures and farms and always set a food stockpile right along the south line as well. All kitchens obviously get a full five ovens. Sometimes six if I have a ton of resources and would rather not have any broken oven downtime.

Housing I dot around the farms/kitchen with the idea the workers will wake up and have the smallest walking path. The rest of industry I don't really worry about and just jam in wherever.

Finally when I have metalworking up I add iron ovens to all the kitchens. I delete the stone ovens one at a time as the iron ones come on line. I always jam my kitchen with decorations so people are always in a great mood.

Oh and only the second or maybe third kitchen I build gets enough space for brewing tanks. Everything else is pretty crowded but enough room that they can pass each other and get to the doors (one on each edge of the L)

I usually go Pumpkin, Wheat, Wheat, Corn for my first four farms.

Edit: oh and unrelated I seem to have problems with miners getting stuck on 'mine in mineshaft' if I switch them to any other job they seem to just hang around doing nothing. Sometimes a day later they shake out of it sometimes they seem stuck forever and I have to execute them to get someone else in.

Darkhold fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Nov 26, 2015

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
Today my 3 year old daughter climbed up in my lap and said 'daddy what game are you going to play tonight?'
'I don't know sweetie I don't think I'm going to play anything.'
'You should play Clockwork Empires. That's a good game'

You should be proud. She really enjoys counting the number of pumpkins I have grown and harassing me about when I'm going to build houses and beds for all the little people.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

LotsBread posted:

can a toddler even say clockwork?
What a strange thing to ask about but yes 'clock' and 'work' are words she's been able to say for ages now. Pumpkin is far more amusing to hear her say.

Also she's definitely not a toddler either. Wouldn't have called her that since she was two and she'll be four in Jan.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

JerryLee posted:

How does she feel about the cannibalism and/or fish people?
Well there's never any cannibalism in my colonies :colbert:

She doesn't even seem to care about the fish people one way or another. I imagine if she did notice them she'd think they were cute. Green is her favourite colour.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

metasynthetic posted:

Gonna buy this game so hard.

EA-havers, is this properly playable yet? Given Gaslamp's record so far I am sure it will be Finished and Good eventually, there's just so much other good stuff out right now.
I'm not sure what you mean by properly playable. Currently you can run a colony up to 100 colonists and build a dozen different production buildings and get into fights with bandits/fishpeople/foreign nations. It's enjoyable for me to poke at because I'm interested in watching games evolve but certainly don't put anything aside to play this.

It's basically the perfect model for early access. Every week something gets added or tweaked that adds more to the game but its still just a framework and should be bought with that foremost in your mind.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
I hope when the game gets closer to being finished you get fishpeople wanting to join your colony like bandits do. With all sorts of religious and political fallout following as you start to have hybrid babies.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
Is there a way to move a job from the bottom of a queue to the top in just a click? If not could you please please make shift click have that functionality. This has always bothered me but now that I can't queue up jobs for items I don't have the equipment to make yet I'm having to resort everything too much.

Thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
At first we heard it a whisper on the wind. Some of us tried to deny it but it was there. Getting louder and louder. A sour note growing in strength its discordant sound calling to some terrifying others but causing despair in all . Soon there could be no more denial.

Bagpipes were sounding in the deep forest by the old alter again. Cog help us all.

• Locked thread