Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011
Normally I shy away from early access but with nvining here and the fact that I love Dredmor to death I'm considering giving this a go. Will there be a holiday sale at Christmas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011
Now I feel like kind of a dick for asking.

gently caress it, I have cash and I love Gaslamp. You deserve my money.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011
Maybe I am just stupid, but I have zero understanding of a few things.

1. HOW DO MAEK FIGHT?
When bandits show up, my NCO person just...waffles around? Do I need to assign people to his squad or workcrew? (Also, workcrews.)

2. Actually the stuff about building workshops (and trimming floorplans) is secondary to avoid being mauled to death by fishpeople.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

nvining posted:

We have a couple of bugs with hostile units in the current build. A hotfix will be out later today.

Oh. That might explain why I cannot do anything regarding crazy bandits.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011
Well, combat still seems to be borked. My squad just stands around as bandits stab them in the back.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

nvining posted:

Ugh. I'm rewriting the finding-target logic this weekend, it seems.

I'd offer a save file, but I'm moving and just packed up my desktop. If steam saves are up I might be able to pull one off the cloud if that will help you.

Sorry its not working the way you want.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

queeb posted:

I don't seem to be able to rearrange my work crews with this newest update. Cant click and drag anyone.

Is there a way to prioritize tasks? That would be neat as well. I don't have some basic? stuff done by Day 11 because everything depends on everything else in ways that need a more delicate touch.

(Also, a way to erase building plans once laid down but not completed. A Cancel Construction command or something)

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Daynab posted:

If anyone's been having issues with soliders not reacting properly or fighting properly we found out the issue now.

Yay! :D

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

nvining posted:

Alpha 42 of Clockwork Empires has now been released for Windows only. This is because the Mac build blew up. Anyhow, here's a happy little number we call:

Personally I feel that you and the Prison Architect Crew should be on the front page of Steam's Early Access section forever because you are doing this system correctly.

:golfclap:

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

nvining posted:

We aim to get you your money's worth. That said, why haven't you played it? Just waiting for the complete product?

I'm not playing it right now because it runs like a 1 legged mule on my laptop and my desktop is packed.

I'm not mad though - I know that optimization is pretty pointless during development.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

LordSaturn posted:

Quoting this for later so I don't drive myself crazy trying to figure out how much building to build.

Add it to the OP, its where it belongs.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011
Something that I would really like to see is a minor improvement to the Naturalist's Office.

Currently:
Naturalist wanders around and finds nodes of Hematite, Sulfur, etc, and wherever that Node is a little yellow Romboid shows up and directs me to 'Zoom to Location'. I hover my mouse over it and it tells me "If I build a Mine here, it will produce Malachite".

The Problem:
Finding those Nodes again is a pain in the rear end. Ten or twenty minutes later if I want to find a Node I have to pan my camera all over the map looking for little wispy ghost Romboids, then hover my mouse over it. Assuming I can find it - I won't play on the Tropical Swamp/Forest because the pale yellow Ghost Node blends into the background so well.

Desired Solution:
Can't we have a list of Mining Nodes Found in the Naturalist's Office window? There is a lot of space under the Assigned Workcrew and Workshop Quality to put a nice little list of Nodes and a 'Zoom to Mining Deposit' button.

Would that be crazy difficult? There is obviously code to store and display 'A node of [ore] has been found' because it pops up near the event box, and code to 'zoom to this place' because that also happens. I just wish that information and zoom option were preserved somewhere.

Edit: How do you get onto the experimental builds? Is there a special beta code you need via steam?

LeJackal fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Feb 20, 2016

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Zaardvark posted:

Nope, no special code required. Right-click Clockwork Empires in your Steam library, select Properties. Select the Betas tab. In the dropdown menu, select 'experimental -'

The game will update shortly, or you can force it to update by verifying the integrity of the game cache.

Do all that stuff backwards if you want to switch back to the Stable Branch.

Weird, it wasn't letting me do it earlier. Oh well! Many thanks!

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

FirstPersonShitter posted:

How playable is the game at the moment?

Very playable. Its quite stable, has a lot of content, and is fun.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011
This version is pretty crash-happy, but one issue I've had several times is with Barbershops.

Building a Barbershop is A-ok, but if I try to open the workshop window for it, my game crashes.

Also, I like the new UI, but when you open the Workcrew Menu, if you expand a few, then collapse, your topmost crew will be expanded but you can't see the collapse button - the window is scrolled down but you can't scroll up. No scrollbar.

Also, we still don't have a handy zoom to colonist or zoom to event. Like when somebody catches on GODDAMNED FIRE and I can't find them.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Radiation Cow posted:

1) The workbench system, as it stands is massively frustrating and is most likely my biggest peeve. Tying jobs to workbenches is annoying, since now if I want to keep a working stockpile of basic goods (planks, ingots, etc.) I have to have tons of workbenches without a good way to offset the happiness penalty. Requiring modules to be built at a workshop is a good idea but the execution is horrible. I'm still not 100% sure with a number of things if they need to built at a workshop or can be built straight away by a builder, and manually ordering modules to be built becomes frustrating when you're on your third labourer's house.Gnomoria has a nice way around it where the workplace can automatically build the module precursor and module itself when the module blueprint is placed.

Agreed. The previous system worked much better - now you need several workbenches, and I've had to do pointless busywork to micromanage my workshop because I can essentially order only as many items as I have workbenches. So if I want to build a new building, I can't just queue up 1 of each thing it needs, but make my little list and hope I remember what was completed and what wasn't.

Its Unfun.

Radiation Cow posted:

2) The upkeep system is a huge amount of busywork, and I'm not really sure what the point is. Having to produce these crates, along with the modules and module precursors means that instead of easily being able to build a colony, I'm spending my time micromanaging workplaces, and urgh, it feels pointless.

Also an unfun addition that has been buggy. When it was first introduced everything broke from a lack of maintenance and then never got fixed, for example.

Radiation Cow posted:

7) Mapgen is still a bit iffy. I've had maps where half the terrain is inaccessible, and I've had maps where I've spent the first couple of days flattening terrain just to get enough usable space to put down a farm, carpenter and kitchen.

This also needs work.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011
So I've been playing this weekend while I'm sick and here are some things that are bugging me.

1. Militia are Useless
Partly because their AI is still trash, never retreating and firing at melee only enemies for example.
Partly because they eat up so much precious population which is highly limited.
Partly because they are incapable of healing over time. (Why does health not recover naturally? I'll have a colonist get bapped by a beetle on day 2 and day 20 they're still wounded)

Honestly, I get better results by turning them off and letting every member of the population hit fishpeople with spatulas. That probably shouldn't be the case.

2. Populations/Workshop

Populations of laborers or overseers are cripplingly hard to get.
The amount of buildings and materials needed to get even a small boost of 2 or three are crazy, and to max out the bonuses (+6 quality!) isn't possible until late game.
Oh, and I can't even build workshops over the amount of my overseers. Why? It saves time to build beforehand, or to build lesser used workshops and toggle free overseers into them as needed.

I feel excessively gated playing this game.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011
On my latest game after getting to about 79 or 80 colonists it becomes a coin toss on if saving will work.

I mean both the auto-save or the manual save. I haven't run statistics on it, but its about 50/50 if it will save or if it will pop up a polite window saying it crashed.

I'm trying to give this an honest go, and I'm feeling the mixed reviews on the Store page.

LeJackal fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Nov 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

nvining posted:

Can you send me the *last* save game in the sequence? Because this is just bizarre. Thanks!

To where? Nvining at gaslamp?

• Locked thread