Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
aerion111
Nov 29, 2011

Prodigy of Curiosity.
Master of Jacks.
Apprentice of Masks.
And, when fighting the forces of darkness, always remember: "Armor of Darkness, Weapon of Light"

StrangeAeon posted:

Anything I desperately need to know before I start the inevitable chain of failures/prosperous colonies?

I actually want to ask a bit more specific version of this myself, since the answer ('start farming') doesn't seem like it'd help me.

Let's say I'm the kind of person (because I am) who, when playing:
A modded Dwarf Fortress pack thing called 'Mastercraft', my dwarves end up starving because everyone's too busy making bullet-proof cloaks to actually farm - and if I make everyone into a farmer, even if they work nonstop, they eat more than they produce still. And then tigermen come and eat my dwarves because I couldn't spare anyone to make weapons (and the only armor they've got, the cloaks, I sold to buy more food)
'Towns', my workers keep getting stuck in the 'too hungry to make food fast enough, too slow at making food to stop being hungry' loop.
Banished, while I actually didn't have any food problems, I keep bordering on collapse because people never move out of their parent's basements.
Prison Architect, my medium-sec inmates take over the cantina and declare themselves a sovereign nation

So, assuming I always lose control over anything food-related, and when I don't I somehow break the game and make it give me worse food-per-time than it should, and when it doesn't I somehow just plain get the game to hate me.
Assuming I'm that kinda player, what should I know so I can actually play this game and not just watch a starvation simulator?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aerion111
Nov 29, 2011

Prodigy of Curiosity.
Master of Jacks.
Apprentice of Masks.
And, when fighting the forces of darkness, always remember: "Armor of Darkness, Weapon of Light"
Hrmm... Mreh, turns out, asking for advice was pointless: Can't play.
I consistently crash when I try to build a Carpenter's Workshop.

• Locked thread