Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
I quickly scanned the OP and was like "Oh, another attempt to clone Dwarf Fortress and slap some graphics on it :rolleyes:"

Then I saw it was Gaslamp Games behind it. Now I'm excited. Can't wait to see what you guys put together on this. I also love the steampunk meets Lovecraft vibe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

nvining posted:

Welcome to loving Boatmurdered. :D

Just from the quick feature list up above, it looks like the Round-Robin mode is basically for succession games, which is a brilliant move if so. Now just make sure you can name all the little dudes and if the game turns out well you'll have Let's Plays all over the internet generating word of mouth for you!

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

nvining posted:

I still only have four e-mails...

Incoming! Sent from adminfive at gmail.

I can only hope my extensive fungal expertise from Dredmore comes in handy.

StarkRavingMad fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jan 25, 2014

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
"NDA RULE #367.4: Do not post videos that have the potential to summon Yeogoroth, the Eater of Worlds, who will destroy the 'real' world."

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
"If you liked it then you should have put a cog on it" made me laugh for a solid two minutes.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Nobody posted today's dev blog? Shame on you all.

Edit: Every one of those poems had better end up in the game or I may become Distressed.

You mean the one posted two posts above yours?

The existential horrors are really getting to your mind. Might I suggest laudanum?

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

nvining posted:

A brief summary of today's testing experience:

The colony of Greater Bronzepipe made one key mistake in its formation, namely that I created opium instead of cabbages. Since opium grows faster than cabbages, colonists soon found themselves unable to keep up with the demand in their opium fields, leading to no cabbage being harvested. As a result, they were consequently unprepared for the Invasion of the Fishpeople that I decided to drop on them to test the combat.

It was a slaughter. Numerous people died due to a) being too busy hauling opium into stockpiles to bother running, or b) chopping up their now-dead comrades for food due to a low-quality cabbage harvest. The one surviving soldier, for some reason, refused to shoot any fishpeople, instead spending his time installing Middle-Class Windows on a nearby building and assembling bookshelves. People would then be driven increasingly mad due to the presence of a) unburied fishpeople corpses (which you currently can't dispose of in game) and b) eating nothing but a diet of human flesh.

I don't know who actually ended up killing the fish people; I think it was hungry colonists who just happened to have very large axes.

Efforts to restore colony morale through building a Brewery proved uncooperative. Cabbages and wheat were produced, but my immigration wave consisted of nothing but a peasant, a poet (who promptly went off and kept staring at the same pile of bricks, trying to be inspired to verse, and failing), and an aristocrat, who promptly started measuring people's heads and noting who was a suspected cultist (as it turns out, nearly everybody). Then the game crashed.

Over here greedily stroking my golden ticket

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Agree with most of the thoughts above on Early Access. I've played some games that work fine for Early Access, but I think the game has to be

1) In a state that is at least playable -- if it's totally broken to the point where it isn't "a game" people get upset and;

2) A game where playing it through once doesn't destroy interest in the game (for example, not a story-based game).

Starbound is a good example of an early access game I bought where it's been fun to play and I think they are getting valuable input from the playerbase as part of the early access program (along with some funding, of course). I think Clockwork Empires has the potential to work in the same manner, although you'd definitely want a few early rounds of testing to make sure it meets criteria #1 above first.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
With any luck, you can sell out to Facebook for like a billion dollars!

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

nvining posted:

And now you have to ask yourself...

Is this an April Fools' Prank?

Or isn't it?

Do you feel lucky, punk?

I feel as though I have entered some sort of zone which contains danger.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

TheChad posted:

So what is in the email? :)

All I got was a picture of my own face, screaming. The time stamp on the email is several days from now.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
It's all in the email. You stole fizzy lifting goo, you bumped into the obelisks which now have to be cleaned and sterilized so you get nothing! You LOSE. Good day, sir!

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

quote:

“Here’s some mockups! Here’s some pictures! Here’s a hundred brand new features,
slowly creeping… wait, you’re weeping! Weeping now upon the floor.”

Made me laugh a lot

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

nvining posted:

More exciting news from the front:

http://www.gaslampgames.com/2014/06/18/modules-interrupts-memory-leaks/

(Dr. Arbitrary, I have yet to hear from you.)

The fact that half the memory leaks were connected to gossiping is kind of hilarious. That and the large block of useless code labeled "FIXME."

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

nvining posted:

StarkRavingMad also apparently built an invisible kitchen this morning.

*sigh* gonna be a fun weekend.

To be fair, it was a very nice invisible kitchen.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

nvining posted:

Blogpost:

https://www.gaslampgames.com/2014/07/09/the-state-of-the-empire-summer-2014/

You see that changelog at the end? That's what we got done since *last week*. (I'm so very, very tired right now.)

As one of the testers, I don't think it is NDA-breaking to say this is a Very Good Summary of what I have seen regarding the current state of the game.

quote:

Removed David’s screaming head from the options menu

I swear I've seen this in 5 or 6 different changelogs now. But it keeps coming back...

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

nvining posted:

So: we need to crowdsource a new title for this thread now that we are in Early Access. Make your best suggestion here, we'll pick the best one.

You already know what the testing crew is going to suggest.

Clockwork Empires - Early Access to Mr. Steelcogworth's Tasteful Nuts

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Daynab posted:

Got it, thanks!

I should probably mention that we have an irc channel at irc.quakenet.org #gaslampgames, webchat's here if you need. https://webchat.quakenet.org/
Come hang out!
Can't guarantee any of the devs will be around often since they're super busy, but we usually hover around 30 people and I moderate it, so don't be jerks!

edit: as much as I love that reference it would be false advertising since Mr. Steelcogworth's nuts have been removed :v:

Well, if we're trying to be honest, you've already stated the obvious thread name choice in the FAQ:

Clockwork Empires: An Occult Cabbage-Farming Simulator With Fishpeople

Good luck on the earliest access launch!

(edit): Nevermind, didn't notice you already changed it to something similar!

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Eonwe posted:

OC-1117
If someone dies while gossiping, the other gossiper may end up waiting forever to continue the conversation with the dead person.

:allears:

Any chance of the dead lingering in any way?

It's funny how many bugs in this game sound ominous and in tune with the setting. I can't post the actual old ones due to NDA, but we got stuff along the lines of "OH GOD NO ONE HAS A FACE" or "CORPSES' BODIES DISAPPEAR BUT THE HEAD IS STILL THERE AND IT'S EXPRESSING SADNESS"

Anyone first starting out should check out the quickstart guide to avoiding starvation that dbaumgart just posted: https://community.gaslampgames.com/threads/clockwork-empires-alpha-quickstart-starvation-avoidance-guide.8474/

StarkRavingMad fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jul 18, 2014

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Eonwe posted:

I honestly thought I was just doing something stupid, but for the life of me I could not get my citizens to harvest ripe cabbage either. I'll see if I can recreate this because it caused some people to starve when I tried it.

Are you sure the cabbage was ripe? It looks like it's done for awhile before it's actually at the harvestable stage. I usually see a gangrush toward the field when it's harvesting time. Typically it seems to be good to have some form of other food started while you are getting your initial farms up and running since that first crop takes awhile - either hunting for steaks or foraging berries and then cooking works pretty well.

If you actually had harvest jobs in the job screen and they weren't happening then it was bugged :smith:

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

TorakFade posted:

Hunting? And how would you do that? I harvest resources by clicking on them and selecting "Chop/mine/forage" that pops up, but when I click on animals the game just goes on camera-follow mode. Also, I queue up stuff in my kitchen but it never gets done :( I have a lot of wheat fields, lots of wheat, but baking bread takes forever and wheat keeps piling up while the bread gets eaten as soon as it's out of the oven and I have starvation problems (also, everybody is thinking about The Act of Murder all the time)

Go to the job crew menus and there's a bunch of little icons at the bottom where you can enable or disable various jobs. One of them is hunting, and it is off for everyone by default. Enable it for someone (best on your military, since they have guns). They'll automatically just shoot any animals nearby and someone will butcher them into raw steaks or uncooked dodos.

quote:

This game rocks but it's pretty obscure at times. I know it's still in alpha phase, but a small pdf manual/blog post on how to do basic things would be very appreciated.

Go here: https://community.gaslampgames.com/threads/clockwork-empires-a-bureaucrats-guide-to-colonization.8519/

(edit): also here: https://community.gaslampgames.com/threads/clockwork-empires-alpha-quickstart-starvation-avoidance-guide.8474/

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Archonex posted:

Adding in taverns appears to have the interesting effect of people using it like a meeting hall in Dwarf Fortress. Not sure if this was intended or not. Seems like it also removed the influence of cults entirely by virtue of people socializing. In the two games I ran I didn't get overrun with people praising dark forces or wallowing in misery simply because everyone was so happy to gossip and look at portraits on their off hours.

Yeah, I believe cults happen when people are unhappy (which is why most of us get them very quickly). If I recall, people will organize and have parties at the public house even, although I'm not sure to what degree that code currently works or is on the Implemented Soon list.

quote:

Also, I couldn't give my peasants booze since apparently the recipe for making copper pipes is busted. You can see the unfinished tub of booze in a corner there. I can make the ingot in the refinery, but then when the ingot is taken to the next workshop to create the pipes the artisan just takes it back to the stockpile. I assume some part of that recipe is broken since other ones work just fine.

Make sure you report that on the bugs forum, I don't think it's a known issue. Some other recipes have broken in similar ways and it usually doesn't take too long for the Gaslamp crew to fix that sort of thing once someone reports it. Although for now you could get more pipes via supply drop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

nvining posted:

Today's blogpost, on the design of rally points and some combat improvements we are considering:

https://www.gaslampgames.com/2014/09/24/rally-point-whackamole/

Also, there's a bunch of new stuff up in the Experimental Branch, mainly bugfixes. (Also, fullscreen is totally broken, but I'm just going to fix that in 10 minutes.)

I really like the described change here. It's always been hard to react to a colonist being attacked in time, and it would make sense that the military could hear the anguished screams from the other side of the shops and come running on their own.

You might still want to leave the ability to make a low-priority "hard" rally point in, for example if the player is regularly being attacked from a certain direction, they might want their troops to post up on one side of the colony if they have nothing better to do. Perhaps that could be called a station point or something instead. Then have that overridden by colonists' "OH GOD I'M UNDER ATTACK" automatic invisible rally points when they are generated. But even without any player-set rally point, I think it's a better solution.

• Locked thread