Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Welp I've been sucked in by the word 'Steampunk' as I always am. Throw in Lovecraft and Dwarf Fortress and I think I may be in love.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

The Easy Rider posted:

Welp, Clockwork Empires just went from "game I'm eagerly anticipating" to "the game I've always wanted to play". Regardless of how it plays out, I'm absolutely thrilled to hear that it's at least a topic of conversation on the design staff now.

Because of this I feel the same way. I was excited as hell for Spore. I was let down. I was excited as hell for Sword of the Stars 2. I was let down. Now I'm excited as hell for this. Please don't let me down.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Are items in the game going to have a quality aspect? Like the goods produced by an Artisan have a higher quality than those produced by a factory. Or do we have tp be Soviets? "Quantity is its own quality."

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

President Ark posted:

AT THE SOUND OF THE SCREAMS OF THE DAMNED, IT WILL BE SIX OF THE CLOCK! YOU SHALL LIE IN ETERNAL TORMENT WHEN THE RED CROW COMES FORTH! :byodood:

I've got tears here, that's funny. I want this in the game now.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

nvining posted:

Holy gently caress this is amazing. Thanks!

EDIT: The "Glove Lady"? This stuff basically lends itself to immediate and wonderful theft.

You didn't answer my question :smith:

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
So I finally got around to reading the PC Gamer that's been sitting on my desk for a little while and the article they did on you guys is great.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

nvining posted:

Running a little late today, but ask and you shall receive:

http://www.gaslampgames.com/2012/10/16/the-inner-secrets-of-clockwork-empires/

This may be the greatest blog entry I have ever read.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

nvining posted:

The townspeople were not sure what to do with the coffin. After all, it was awfully strange. Men of science and ambition eyed it greedily in stockpile D - what mysteries did it hold? What was the fluid that coursed through its pipes, and what propelled it so? They studied the coffin carefully, measuring its every side and the circumference of every tube. They tried to open it, but it would not open; a sample of the fluid from the pipes was extracted, and subjected to the most rigorous scientific processes possible without actually tasting it. Learned men bombarded it with rays from the Roentgen Device, and they subjected it to Voltaic Energies. A man from the Royal Society came by, tut-tutted at it, and was never heard from again. Urchins, selling matches on street corners, compared notes - it was true, was it not, that people were buying more matches than usual?

Surely, it was a sign of the times.

After much deliberation, a report was released. Elsie Moonwidget, widely considered to be the best expert in Shiveringhope on all things found in mines, and with a grand invention to her name - and patented, besides! - signed off on it. It reached three main conclusions:

1. The coffin was creepy as hell.
2. Everybody in the town was having the same strange, recurring dream: thin, elongated fingers with sharp, pointy nails gently reaching into their head, removing their eyes from their sockets, and extracting the flesh of their brain.
3. If the fluids from the coffin were to be connected to any factory in Shiveringhope, via a Number Four Pipe, and fed into the main processing line, the productivity of said factory would improve by a factor of ten.

Many people wished to leave the coffin alone. Put it back in the mines, they said, and bury it deep. Let's forget it we ever found it. The Empire Times, though, had other plans. In a damning and blistering editorial - plus, of course, the usual contributions to the Letters to the Editor by Norton, whoever he was - the Times lambasted the administration of hope, the Prime Minister, and - for good measure - the Whigs. Surely, they said, a few weird dreams and the fact that the coffin was provably disturbing was no reason to stop anyone from harnessing its powers? Surely, if a few people suddenly went mad and found themselves vivisecting the cat, these little tragedies would be well outweighed by the glorious new economic boom that would be unleashed by the mysterious powers of the Fluid? Was it not the Prime Minister's responsibility - yea, and the responsibility of all men of industry and ambition - to demand, fervently, that the coffin be employed?

:gonk: You're putting some sort of horrid clockwork Slenderman into the game?

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Shadowmorn posted:

In trying to use children as a resource, said children discover a startling thing, they cannot die nor feel pain greater then the pain of a slap, inflicted to "keep them in line." With this discovery the children of the colony begin to go on a rampage, making unreasonable demands, driving matrons insane, breaking windows and stealing sausages when the market owner is distracted. Unstoppable by all acts of modern science, eldrich abomination or even the threats of "boiled cabbage for tea" by worried, honest working parents.

With nowhere to go, the population call for the head of the person responsible for causing all this mundane chaos in the first place.

That was you.

The mob is outside your door and you are cursing the choice to reinforce the windows with iron bars "to stop the children from trying to get in from the outside."

Consider this a learning experience. Next time, if there is a next time, you run a colony, perhaps you will leave children alone to work in their mysterious ways.

Basically parody the hell out of invulnerable children thing in videogames. You know you wanna.

Goddamn that's not a bad idea.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
So the whole Godfather thing? "I will do this favor for you, but in return one day, and this day may never come, I will ask you for a favor in turn."

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I can see it as something like
Step 1: Receive moderate award from otherworldly entity, refusal is not an option
Step 2: Otherworldy entity requests a minor favor, definitely not equivalent to the original award, a simple ritual that does virtually nothing. If you complete the favor you get another, even larger award. If you refuse, you have to deal with a moderate retaliation.
Step 3: Otherworldy entity requests a slightly larger favor...

At every point there should be a temptation to just go with it, the immediate rewards are always larger than the cost but it's a spiral that starts to get out of control.

This is a great idea. A real true way that the beings manipulate the bureaucracy.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
gently caress that was awesome. I WANT THIS GAME SO THESE STORIES CAN BE TOLD TO ME!

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Goddamnit I would pay a ton of money for a game based in the P-funk mythology.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

MacGyvers_Mullet posted:

You know what else is Christmassy? Kenny G the Classic Christmas Album. :colbert:

But I like that album :smith:

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Triskelli posted:

On topic though, I love the models, but the discolored skin on the character models makes them look more like zombies than citizens. Temporary I know, but it's a little disconcerting.

Now I want the ability to make zombie servants that nobles can have in their households that occasionally go insane and eat their brains. They also can be used on giant treadmills or hamster wheels to generate power.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
All I want to hear right now is that you aren't thinking of some horrid GUI like in Towns.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Ratoslov posted:

I'm thinking 'adorable mascot'.

I'm thinking emergency food source.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Master Blaster runs Programmertown!

Goddamn those tags kill me.

vvvvvvv Also what he said vvvvvvvvvv

Deadmeat5150 fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Nov 22, 2012

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I don't want to lose the pipes! Pipes and cogs and dials and gauges and all those thinks are HALLMARK of good steampunk. Ok ok ok, "good" steampunk is sort of hard to find but still. We're going to be allowed to dig, right? Is it possible to move some pipes underground? Make a highly complicated steamtunnel system beneath the colony where the horrid mutants dwell

Can we also have mimes? San Diego has a ton of steampunk mime groups that either sing or dances or do classical miming and most of them are really good.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Ratoslov posted:

I kind of like this idea. You get an abstract node map, you hook up two nodes with a connection and then the pipe is built from one node to another. There is, however, a real pipe, because the whole point of pipes is so that pipes can break and flood your town with steam, molten metal, or live chickens.

Or Urchins. Or Crimble.

Or horrifying mind melting purple slime from the otherworldly artifact you hooked up to a factory.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Nevets posted:

How about some pipes decay over time, such as steam or lava. If your workers don't repair them in time they eventually rupture, and if you have a tangle of pipes they will damage others and suddenly you have steamed pig cubes marinated in aether raining from the sky.

What a delicious accident.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Shadowmorn posted:

Sir/Ma'am, this is the best suggested idea ive heard in this thread so far. Running Y'rleh (im respecting copyrights! :downs:) into the ground could be something i get endless hours of enjoyment out of.

But... but... are there copyrights on R'yleh? All that stuff is available for free so doesn't that mean anyone can use it?

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Playing LA R'Lyeh is probably the most compelling argument I can imagine against implementing eldritch madness in a video game. They're not fun to play as or against.

You watch your mouth, boy. I love playing LA R'Lyeh.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Those certainly are some... eyebrows. Yeesh.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I've always enjoyed larches.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

nvining posted:

Happy New Year, everybody! Back on the ol' blog-posting train with some thoughts on animals:

http://www.gaslampgames.com/2013/01/03/concerning-the-kingdoms-of-beasts-and-fishes/

:allears: You boys sure do know how to get a fella's heart a'pumpin' don't ya?

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I love the fog. I love fog period and love having it in my games. Heck I. The Sims I even cheat so I can build fog generators to add fog to my lots.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
How close are we to a playable demo?

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

MoreLikeTen posted:

I usually hate steampunk and anything do do with it, (Why the goggles? Does Queen Victoria need something welded?) but I have to say that all the stuff you guys have put out about this has me ready to set my prejudice aside. I'm a huge sucker for Lovecraft, maybe that's helping. Anyway, I just wanted to say that your guys' brand of the steampunk genre appears to be of a higher quality, both aesthetically and "functionally" than the usually zeppelin fest.

I always suspected the goggles were just in case something needed to be welded right away.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

nvining posted:

Yes. Also, the Automatic Defense Tesla Coil.

Although you seriously can't make me throw my money at you any faster, you really are trying aren't you?

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I like the Bob Ross reference, it was clever. I want more happy little shrubs.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I've been playing Dredmor all day. All bloody day. What have you done to me!?

Knowing how awesome Dredmor is only makes it MORE difficult to wait for this game.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

nvining posted:

I kind of like this. We'll see.

I also like the idea of spectral poets haunting publishers, although this assumes that we have publishers. I think that we actually operate on the Achewood Principal of Welsh Poetry: http://achewood.com/index.php?date=05152009

This totally works for me.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Man you guys are practically within spitting distance of me down on Whidbey Island. I should hop in my sailboat and come visit.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Grey Hunter posted:

While I know you mean a small white thing, I can't help but imagine you leaping from your computer, putting on your tricornerd hat and marching down to the docks, shouting at your crew to ready the third rate, and prepare for for pillage and rapine.

That would be so much cooler than the dinky little thing I have now.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I really love the picture posted in today's update. Any chance of getting more like that? Just as a Teaser?

President Ark posted:

Make the things looking wrong bit a feature. As more people in your colony fall to worship of Things From Beyond the Veil of Reality, have the camera start automatically tilting a couple degrees off that perfect 45-degree angle - not a lot, but juuust enough that it nags at the back of the player's mind when they look at their town square and suddenly go WHAT THE gently caress THIS LOOKS HORRIFYINGLY WRONG BUT I CAN'T TELL WHY

This is a brilliant idea.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I actually laughed and snorted at seeing the desert mallet. Mmmmmmmmm tasty.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

nvining posted:

I will quietly note, for anybody that is here from the SimCity thread, that while we are (technically) a city-builder, we operate much more on a Dwarf Fortress scale than a SimCity scale. Gameplay-wise, we're much more about "the people in my colony did XYZ" than "my city did XYZ" (if that makes sense.) We definitely do have some city-building action in our DNA though, and some pretty cool procedural building technology and, y'know, pipes.

(Not that it matters, because we've decided to make an FPS instead: http://www.gaslampgames.com/2013/04/01/blood-steam-a-clockwork-empires-fps/)

As long as Beyonce remains the special guest and I get turrets I would by this in a heartbeat.

When will you make me stop throwing money at you?

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

nvining posted:

Watch for announcements soon.

:f5h::fap: Why would you say something like this!? Now I have to watch this thread like a hawk. More so!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Triskelli posted:

Up to and including world leaders. You want a nice piece from the Lourve? I can fetch it for you. :jihad:

Take out Margaret Thatcher.

• Locked thread