Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.

BattleMaster posted:

It's probably overpriced but it's at least a lot fancier than I expected it to be. It has 3D animations for the dice rolling, you can drag them around on the "table", reroll individuals, delete them, change them, etc..

I have a fanmade WFRP 3E dice roller and it just has sliders, a roll button, and a list for the results. I was expecting something more along those lines. It would have been less flashy but faster to use. But at least they put a whole bunch of effort into it that makes the price point a little more understandable.

It remains to be seen if it will drive me nuts in practice.

The sounds are driving me batshit, I had to turn them off. I also wish it did computation of results for you, just giving me the net results would be aces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Winson_Paine posted:

The sounds are driving me batshit, I had to turn them off. I also wish it did computation of results for you, just giving me the net results would be aces.

The update should do that.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

alg posted:

The update should do that.

No, the update shows the results without cancellations. Apparently before it didn't even have that much :stare:

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

BattleMaster posted:

No, the update shows the results without cancellations. Apparently before it didn't even have that much :stare:

Yeah, reading the results off the little screen was super irritating. Updating now, huzzah.

OverloadUT
Sep 11, 2001

I couldn't think of an image so I Googled "Overload"
I will be playing this for the first time tonight on my live tabletop RPG show (*cough* http://twitch.tv/thursdayknights)

We'll be playing the Beginner Set. I haven't actually told the group what we're playing, because I'm really interested in seeing how well the beginner set works as a "here's your character, let's start playing" type thing. It seems very well laid out for that, which is most definitely something the RPG world could use more of. We're all seasoned RPG players obviously, but learning a new system usually takes quite some time. I hope that we'll be able to just get straight to the gameplay without needing to sit down discussing a bunch of rules before hand.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

The only real hurdle is explaining what the different dice outcomes mean, at least in my experience with the beta. Pretty much everything else is immediately graspable to RPG veterans.

OverloadUT
Sep 11, 2001

I have been obsessed with this game since I played it on Thursday.

I started playing SWTOR again just because I wanted to get more Star Wars in my blood before I run the next game. I even set up my group's forums with SWEotE "emoticons" of the dice types and results so that we can talk about mechanics easier there.

I can't wait to start Long Arm of the Hutt this Thursday. I can already tell that this is going to be a frontrunner for the system we'll use for our next long-term campaign. I really like the idea behind the dice, in that they have two completely separate results being shown on the same dice.

I'm sure this is just the honeymoon phase; I hope it holds up on repeat plays!

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

OverloadUT posted:

I'm sure this is just the honeymoon phase; I hope it holds up on repeat plays!

If it's any consolation, I've been playing various tabletop RPGs for about 20 years and the Warhammer 3rd Edition system that I started last year has become my all-time favorite mainly because of the dice system.

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

I chucked this in the GM advice thread but I thought Star Wars players might have a bit more insight or some suggestions:

"I'm looking to run a Star Wars game with the party as the officers on a Victory class ship immediately post-Endor but I've no idea what system to use. All the Star Wars systems I've used have the starship combat pretty tacked on and the starship combat games are all about either fighters or larger battles.

I suppose I'm looking for a Star Fleet battles level system so the combat has a fair bit of crunch to it.

Any suggestions for ways to balance character importance? I'm thinking of an Ars Magicka style multiple PC system where the players have two or three characters and the character that is, say, the Captain of the ship is the lowest ranked Stormtrooper in their commando team and visa versa the veteran sergeant of the commando team is the least influential bridge officer. Just to make sure everyone gets to participate in every part of the game and you don't get the Shadowrun decker syndrome.

So, looking for probably a simple skills based system for the PCs plus a chunky space combat system to run that in. I imagine it'll be relatively rules light most of the time and all about political decisions and mission planning but once the turbolasers start firing I want to have some solid crunch behind their decisions.

Possibly an impossible request? The older D20 Star Wars system has an okay space combat system but it's really alpha strike heavy and most ships can shred a ship of a similar class in just a few rounds but it did have fully detailed ship stats which was nice."

hectorgrey
Oct 14, 2011
I'd love to see that game show up on here. That's an awesome concept. As I understand it, you'll be waiting a while before you get the ability to create military type PCs. Mongoose Traveller might be worth a look if you like your crunch; the psionics rules are pretty decent and can emulate the force pretty well, the High Guard book includes well designed rules for making big rear end warships and fighting in them, pretty much every kind of weapon seen in a Star Wars RPG can be found in the Equipment Guide, while Mercenary has some pretty cool stuff for your Storm Troopers. Also, the random character generation makes for some pretty interesting characters with skills the players may never have considered picking up.

Edit: See also GURPS for mostly the same reasons, though much more prep intensive. On the bright side, I believe there's a guide out there for using GURPS for Star Wars. Also, the Martial Arts book has some good stuff for creating lightsaber forms, if that's the kind of thing you're into.

hectorgrey fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jan 22, 2013

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Karandras posted:

I chucked this in the GM advice thread but I thought Star Wars players might have a bit more insight or some suggestions:

"I'm looking to run a Star Wars game with the party as the officers on a Victory class ship immediately post-Endor but I've no idea what system to use. All the Star Wars systems I've used have the starship combat pretty tacked on and the starship combat games are all about either fighters or larger battles.

I suppose I'm looking for a Star Fleet battles level system so the combat has a fair bit of crunch to it.

Any suggestions for ways to balance character importance? I'm thinking of an Ars Magicka style multiple PC system where the players have two or three characters and the character that is, say, the Captain of the ship is the lowest ranked Stormtrooper in their commando team and visa versa the veteran sergeant of the commando team is the least influential bridge officer. Just to make sure everyone gets to participate in every part of the game and you don't get the Shadowrun decker syndrome.

So, looking for probably a simple skills based system for the PCs plus a chunky space combat system to run that in. I imagine it'll be relatively rules light most of the time and all about political decisions and mission planning but once the turbolasers start firing I want to have some solid crunch behind their decisions.

Possibly an impossible request? The older D20 Star Wars system has an okay space combat system but it's really alpha strike heavy and most ships can shred a ship of a similar class in just a few rounds but it did have fully detailed ship stats which was nice."

If you have the time to devote to it, you might want to look at a WW2 naval wargame and adapt it. I recommend Seekrieg.

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

Traveller sounds like a great suggestion, it'll have shields rules and all the appropriate space rules plus is popular enough that some people have probably already done Star Wars conversions for the ships. The psionics/Force side of it is a bit less relevant as the players are going to be Imperial officers on a Star Destroyer in 4BBY, I can't really see Force powers coming up unless they pick a fight with Luke or something inexplicably but I suppose it's a good option to have.

Cheers guys, I'll let you know how the game progresses

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
I ran our first game yesterday through Mumble and MapTools, everyone in the group was new to EotE, and two people were completely new to table top RPGs (had 5 players)
Everyone seemed to love it, the mechanics were very smooth, and we never had more than a moment or two of checking rules.

Other than borrowing Teemo The Hutt as a character I created the first story arch from scratch, I never like to run adventures out of the book. But I will take character profiles and ideas and work to implement some aspects of an adventure (heavily modified of course)

I opened by having them watch this https://dl.dropbox.com/u/5990181/Episode1Crawl.swf to set the mood, and explain the situation.

Their ship had a hyperdrive failure mid flight and came out right in front of an asteroid field, a botched perception check meant the pilot didn't notice the field but due to an amazing piloting check corkscrewed the ship right out of the field with no damage done to the ship.

The ships mechanic quickly found the problem, which turned out to be a failing hyperdrive converter, put a quick band-aid patch on it and noticed the amount of similar events in the ships log that have been happening more frequently the past few months, something they will have to address sooner or later.

This event seems to have agitated a couple of the crew as Ssorku the trandoshan hired gun - Marauder(slaver) and Mahruun the wookie Colonist - Doctor got into a fist fight, which quickly escalated resulting in Mahruun being struck by Ssorkus force pike, and then shooting Mahruun with his bowcaster, this ended the fight quick enough and Mahruun was nice enough to treat Ssorkus injuries. (this was not staged by my but turned out to be a nice way to introduce some dice / combat)

The rest of their trip to Ryloth was uneventful, and after landing at Kala'din starport the set out, first order of business was to track down a replacement hyperdrive converter, after doing some quick haggling with an stingy old Twi'lek they found that this will be a bit more expensive than they though. Tarn the bothan bounty hunter of the group managed to pull a little theft and stole a speeder from an unwatched lot, and stash it back on the ship. Ssorku spent most of the time on the way to the cantina looking for some helpless sap that he could capture and sell into slavery to earn points for his god.

After getting to the cantina, the Dancing Maiden, the players met up with Garno, a rodian one of Teemo's low rate enforcers. A quick conversation and the players were in possession of their "packages" Heading out of the cantina Tarn, and Ssorku decide to take the prisoner out the back while the other three take the crate out the front.
This turned out to be a good idea as a small group of local gang thugs were waiting for them, wanting to take possession of the prisoner and the crate, after a quick exchange of words weapons were drawn and combat started, the first initiative ended up being PC, NPC, PC, PC, PC, PC, the first action was Ssorku coming around the cantina and surprising the ganger, taking out a male Twi'lek with a singled enraged swing of his force pike (set to stun, I believe he intends to capture this poor sap). A firefight ensues and Gand (the ships mechanic) takes a hit to the chest from a holdout blaster but seems like he will be fine, Mahruun also takes a minor hit to the arm, one thug takes a Bowcaster round to the face with an aimed shot that ctiricals, hes not getting up from that one, that's for sure. Another takes a devastating blaster shot to the chest from the ships Pilot, Krett, and collapses to the ground. The fourth ganger takes an awful shot from Gand and ducks for cover. And the fifth ganger is shot at but manages to scramble behind the corner of a building to take cover. Ssorku advances and takes out Thug four with his force pike who had previously been badly wounded. At this point thug five is all alone and doesn't want to play anymore, to turns to run, Krett peruses but looses line of site (we are using MapTools dynamic line of site each player can only see their own LOS, everything else is fog of war) but Gand charges forward picking a lucky route and comes up right behind the thug, one shot to the back as she trys to flee ends the fight.

The crew notice they are attracting a lot of attention from the locals right about now, quickly loot the corpses, secure their packages, Ssorku picks up the first thug which he dropped with the stun setting of his force pike and they make way for the ship. They quickly get clearance from the tower to leave and the scene fades out....

This was our first session and it went 3 hours, the only time we had to look up rules was for the stun setting of the force pike and to make sure you could not trigger a critical if you missed the shot.
All in all, it was a lot of fun and the smoothest RPG session I think I have every been involved in. Everyone is looking forward to our next session.

ACValiant
Sep 7, 2005

Huh...? Oh, this? Nah, don't worry. Just in the middle of some messy business.

LumberingTroll posted:

Tarn the bothan bounty hunter of the group managed to pull a little theft and stole a speeder from an unwatched lot, and stash it back on the ship.

This was one of the first things my players did as well.

"Wait there's a speeder? That's ours." My players proceeded to go through a whole mini adventure to acquire speeders for each of them, for what purpose I can't tell.

Speeders, the irresistible Klondike bar of the Star Wars universe.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
How hard would it be to add a fifth character to the beginner set?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Gort posted:

How hard would it be to add a fifth character to the beginner set?

There's one or two other premade characters available over on the FFG website, IIRC.

EDIT: Here you go: http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_minisite_sec.asp?eidm=224&esem=4

Two more characters, and another premade adventure.

jivjov fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Jan 30, 2013

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

jivjov posted:

There's one or two other premade characters available over on the FFG website, IIRC.

EDIT: Here you go: http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_minisite_sec.asp?eidm=224&esem=4

Two more characters, and another premade adventure.

Cool, thanks!

Bionic
May 6, 2007

I beg to remain, Sir, your most humble and obedient servant, A Ridiculous Beard.
The only tough thing about it is making the adventure hard enough for five, since it's so easy with four. Don't be shy about throwing extra dudes in, or making minion groups larger. When I ran my first 4p group through as written, they made it all the way to the first Nemesis enemy without a single wound. It was fine for them that way, but other groups aren't so happy when they feel like they're never in any danger.

OverloadUT
Sep 11, 2001

Bionic posted:

The only tough thing about it is making the adventure hard enough for five, since it's so easy with four. Don't be shy about throwing extra dudes in, or making minion groups larger. When I ran my first 4p group through as written, they made it all the way to the first Nemesis enemy without a single wound. It was fine for them that way, but other groups aren't so happy when they feel like they're never in any danger.

This shouldn't be surprising at all though, considering the book opens up explaining the entire concept of roleplaying. It's clearly meant for people who have never heard the words Dungeons and Dragons in the same sentence.

Luckily the system is pretty easy to crank up the difficulty!

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

LumberingTroll posted:

This was our first session and it went 3 hours, the only time we had to look up rules was for the stun setting of the force pike

Just so I'm clear, the rules for the force pike on stun setting are pretty much just "it does strain damage when set on stun," right?

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

PantsOptional posted:

Just so I'm clear, the rules for the force pike on stun setting are pretty much just "it does strain damage when set on stun," right?

yep, that is correct. The weapon itself has a 'stun setting' takes a maneuver to switch to, Ssorku leaves his on stun be default. Which makes sense as he is a slaver.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I picked up the beginner box yesterday and I really like the presentation. The dice are so pretty. :swoon:

Bionic
May 6, 2007

I beg to remain, Sir, your most humble and obedient servant, A Ridiculous Beard.

LumberingTroll posted:

yep, that is correct. The weapon itself has a 'stun setting' takes a maneuver to switch to, Ssorku leaves his on stun be default. Which makes sense as he is a slaver.
Switching stun setting on a weapon is an free action/incidental, not a maneuver. Beta rulebook says so on page 109, as do the character folios for the beginner game.

OverloadUT
Sep 11, 2001

Final verdict: I love the system, and will very likely use it for my next long-term campaign after the "System Tour" we're doing right now.

However, I found the beginner game frustrating after a couple sessions. There are a several rules that are left very unclear (we had to ask people with the beta to clarify). Silhouette is an example: it's on enemy stat blocks, and it's in the index, but the entry that the index takes you to pretty much just said "it means it's bigger!"

Anyway I love it

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***
So i looked over character creation tonight and something has me mystified.

The only listing for starting gear or currency seems to state you have 500 credits to start. Now you can get up to 3000 to start if you take heavy obligations.
But then you fall into the trap of being burdened with a hell of a lot of that. And if everyone in the party takes that the whole party can quickly exceed 100 on obligation ( if you have 4 people ).

My problem with this, is a bounty hunter or hired gun with no additional obligations starts off with 500 credits. And holdout pistols ( which i read as the crappy derringer of pistols ) are 300 credits. Any decent weapon for those classes is much much much more expensive.

Is the point of starting out as a party to literally start with nothing?

Cause on the one hand it lists the group can start with a ship. Which to me is a huge expensive item.

But on the other 500 scrap for the basics?

Am i missing something here? Is there starting gear i havent found listed?

I dont usually have a problem with starting out very basic on items and stuff, but it seems more the game intends for you to start with a complication and nothing, or start with HUGE complications and the basics.

this troper
Apr 4, 2011

:o

Talkc posted:

The only listing for starting gear or currency seems to state you have 500 credits to start. Now you can get up to 3000 to start if you take heavy obligations.
But then you fall into the trap of being burdened with a hell of a lot of that. And if everyone in the party takes that the whole party can quickly exceed 100 on obligation ( if you have 4 people ).

My problem with this, is a bounty hunter or hired gun with no additional obligations starts off with 500 credits. And holdout pistols ( which i read as the crappy derringer of pistols ) are 300 credits. Any decent weapon for those classes is much much much more expensive.

Cause on the one hand it lists the group can start with a ship. Which to me is a huge expensive item.

I dont usually have a problem with starting out very basic on items and stuff, but it seems more the game intends for you to start with a complication and nothing, or start with HUGE complications and the basics.

I think the game assumes people are going to take the extra "minor" obligation for the, what, 1k extra credits? Which I guess makes sense but they should just make all players have a bit higher starting obligation and just give them the 1k more credits right from the get go to prevent people from trapping themselves by not doing it, since otherwise players are going to kill the first person they see with a blaster and take it from them.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

The ship is where those sixty points of starting obligation comes from in the first place. Sixty points buys you a ship, a worn blaster pistol and the shirt on your back. Sounds pretty appropriate to me. I'm pretty sure you can buy everything Han and Chewie had on board the Falcon with just ten extra points of obligation, dejarik table included.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

We played our first game of EotE recently. I'm doing a Bounty Hunter/Gadgeteer thing and I'm loving it.

The system is all kinds of fun and simple. I find that players are more apt to take risks thanks to the relatively straight-forward approach to unskilled rolls. The low and often times fun and flavorful results of failure are often a source of enjoyment too.

Opposed rolls seem all kinds of jarring though. I remember we're bopping along, about a 50/50 mix of successful and failure, when our GM brought out our first opposed roll. The enemy pool consisted of 2 challenge dice and 2 difficulty dice (easily equivalent to a highly focused starting character). I don't blame the GM for it but it was just sudden.

I don't like the way the game handles stun damage. Strain-as-resource is an interesting mechanic. But there was one point where we had been wailing on this giant space crocodile for a while on some bog planet. Blasters mostly. The thing gets up in my face and it would have been really cool to just punch the thing. I have the skills for it. But because Brawl does Strain damage, it would have started in on an entirely different wound track and therefore have been a waste of time. This is probably a problem with any system that has two wound tracks (Shadowrun, for instance).

Liked the game a bunch. Would play again.

Spork o Doom
May 31, 2011

Mendrian posted:

I don't like the way the game handles stun damage. Strain-as-resource is an interesting mechanic. But there was one point where we had been wailing on this giant space crocodile for a while on some bog planet. Blasters mostly. The thing gets up in my face and it would have been really cool to just punch the thing. I have the skills for it. But because Brawl does Strain damage, it would have started in on an entirely different wound track and therefore have been a waste of time.

For whatever its worth & assuming the croc wasn't a nemesis type NPC (I would imagine not but maybe it's going to come back and haunt you like Captain Hook's clock swallowing friend) then any strain damage it took should have simply been directly applied as wound damage. Minions and other lesser NPC types only have wound tracks to deal with this problem.

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!

Siivola posted:

The ship is where those sixty points of starting obligation comes from in the first place. Sixty points buys you a ship, a worn blaster pistol and the shirt on your back. Sounds pretty appropriate to me. I'm pretty sure you can buy everything Han and Chewie had on board the Falcon with just ten extra points of obligation, dejarik table included.

Yeah, after some rereading i realized that Obligations are actually kinda awesome. Me and a friend that are going to be in an upcoming campaign together talked it out and we came up with a shared Obligation of having stolen our ship from the Empire. So we both took the obligation Criminal. We also took +10 obligation each. The idea being we did this yesterday. 50 points of our groups obligation is the fact that we are onboard this Imperial craft that two drunkards stole.

The more i read about this system the more i like. I can't wait to play.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Talkc posted:

Gear has never really been a feature in the Star Wars games, except maybe for SWd20 where it suffered from the usual d20 issues. In d6 you pretty much got your blaster and a datapad and then it pushed you out the door. This sometimes led to early adventures being pack rat style shenanigans where the cargo hold of the ship was filled with junk stolen from here and there or looted suits of armor or whatever.

In other news, my beginner box has finally shipped, I am super jazzed about this.

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
I have another question about the system. For critical injuries it mentions rolling a d100, but the chart goes from 00-141.

How do critical injuries escalate past 100? I cant seem to find the part that says anything about that.

Edit: Okay i found that. Theres a part where it adds more to the roll.

Talkc fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Feb 5, 2013

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Talkc posted:

I have another question about the system. For critical injuries it mentions rolling a d100, but the chart goes from 00-141.

How do critical injuries escalate past 100? I cant seem to find the part that says anything about that.

Edit: Okay i found that. Theres a part where it adds more to the roll.

There's four basic ways that I know of:
1. A critical hit triggered more than once will simply add 10 to the critical injury roll per extra trigger;
2. Each critical injury already in place adds 10 to critical injury rolls until cured;
3. The Lethal Blows talent adds 10 to the critical injury roll per rank of Lethal Blows;
4. The Vicious quality adds 10 to the critical injury roll per rank in Vicious.

This is why disruptor rifles are insanely scary - in the hands of a reasonably competent individual, they're triggering a critical injury with nearly every shot, and the minimum result is a 51. In the hands of a competent assassin, it's a one-hit-kill machine.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Man I want to play a Wookie that tears people apart with his claws, perhaps with a Han like friend that they stole a ship with, or are in massive debt for.

Lunatic Pathos
May 16, 2004

I shouldn't tell you this but you're the only one I can trust...
Wookies that fight with their climbing claws are considered mad and dangerous by other wookies. Mad Wookie!

ACValiant
Sep 7, 2005

Huh...? Oh, this? Nah, don't worry. Just in the middle of some messy business.

Lunatic Pathos posted:

Wookies that fight with their climbing claws are considered mad and dangerous by other wookies. Mad Wookie!

No social neuroses about just straight up punching stormtroopers to death though :getin:

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
This is what i like about this system. Who needs a lightsaber when you can punch someone or shoot their face off?

Han said it best. Hokey Religions and Ancient Weapons are no match for an angry wookie. ( I'm paraphrasing ).

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Lunatic Pathos posted:

The social norms are rather silent about bodily dismemberment via pulling limbs off.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
In my starter box game, my players tried to convince the droids guarding the Krayt Fang that they were there to install the part on the ship. They succeeded but got a bit too much Threat, so Trex comes walking down the gangplank wondering what the commotion was.

The wookie charged him, hit a crap ton of successes and proceeded to one shot the trandoshan. We were all a bit too stunned to say anything, as everyone had agreed to the stealth plan, and the wookie just haring off and capping Trex out of nowhere with a single punch while the rest of the party was still arguing with droids was just about perfect.

gently caress lightsabers. Wookies are where it's at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Mortanis posted:

gently caress lightsabers. Wookies are where it's at.

• Locked thread