Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Gort posted:

How hard would it be to add a fifth character to the beginner set?

There's one or two other premade characters available over on the FFG website, IIRC.

EDIT: Here you go: http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_minisite_sec.asp?eidm=224&esem=4

Two more characters, and another premade adventure.

jivjov fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Jan 30, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Winson_Paine posted:

I am thinking about trying the four player boxed set crew and two pregenned adventures as a PBP to sort of shake out how to run this on PBP. Would I get any takers from here?

I'd love to be in on that. I have the beginners box, but haven't been able to assemble enough people in one place to play.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Winson_Paine posted:

So who wants what?

I'd like Pash the Smuggler please!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Winson_Paine posted:

Sold, I will get the PBP up directly. The tech from the website is a good swap for the droid in general, really.

Just a heads up, I'm about to head to work, so I won't be able to get a first post in til later tonight.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Trip Report from running Escape From Mos Schutta last night:

I had a buddy over last night and he and my wife decided that we should play an RPG. We initially were gonna play Fiasco since we hadn't prepped anything and had just played Dungeon World the other night, but then my friend spotted the Beginner's Box on my shelf and asked if we could run that adventure instead.

Since I had played through the adventure in Winson's (sadly aborted) PbP, I figured "why the hell not, how hard can it be with pre-statted characters and a plot I'm familiar with". So with absolutely zero prep, we started playing.

My bud was initially a bit disappointed with the railroady nature of the plot, but when I pointed out that it was his call to have me run a canned adventure with no time to plan out some alternate paths for them, he stopped his grousing and went with it.

We had a pretty great time; with only 2 PCs, I dialed back the combat encounters a bit, and I think I did so a little too much, since nobody was ever in much danger (but that fits for a pulpy Star Wars adventure). I forgot to properly implement range rules, and a played fast and loose with the dice pool building, but it was still a great time and I can't wait to reconvene and do Long Arm of the Hutt.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Sorry for double post, but this is a completely new thought, so I figured it warranted bumping the thread up.

I discovered something that we did wrong in Winson's game (and in the one I ran IRL), straight from the rule book, each NET success adds 1 to weapon damage. We had been running it as every success beyond the initial one.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, I guess I didn't phrase it very well, but from what I can glean from the beginner box rulebook its supposed to be +1 damage for every success you have left after cancellations. Does anyone with the Beta book have any insight?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I'm not upset about the delay itself, I'm upset that this will delay the order I have placed at Cool Stuff Inc since they only ship once everything in your order is ready.

Complaint retracted. I emailed Cool Stuff and they split my order up for me. :D

jivjov fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Apr 5, 2013

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I'm becoming increasing grateful for Cool Stuff Inc splitting my giant order of stuff. Is Fantasy Flight always this bad about release dates? I've heard the jokes, but I thought they were "days or weeks" late, not months.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
My FLGS got a box of leftover crap from last year for Free RPG Day. Is there any chance of the free Edge of the Empire adventure being available anytime else?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Seconded. My group ran both the Beginner Box mission and the sequel from FFG's website, and both times it only took a couple of rolls before we were comfortable with the custom pips.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Epi Lepi posted:

When do we think the Core Rulebook is coming out now?

About a week prior to the heat-death of the universe, at this rate.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Carteret posted:

Checked FFG and all the Edge of the Empire products are :siren:SHIPPING:siren:

Should have all our poo poo in the next 2 weeks.

Does this include the dice? I've got the set from the beginner box, but I want to pick up another.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

KomradeX posted:

So with this set to come out next week I've been up in the air about getting this. I already have the complete set of the Saga Edition. But so far EoE sounds really fun. Would it be worth picking up the Beginner's box now? I do already have the dice app for Android.

At this point, unless you really want the pre-gen characters and adventure, I'd just wait for the full rulebook. The rulebook in the beginner's box is pretty lame, only covering the bare minimum to play the pre-gen adventures. Get the core rulebook when it releases, plus a dice pack (if you want, I know you said you had the app already).

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
This is bringing up a point from a couple days ago, but I'm glad the book has some sample play segments in it. While some overstay their welcome or are written cheesily, I like seeing "official" interpretations of some game mechanics. I'm eager to see what the sample play segments say about things like "the roll failed but generated a lot f advantage". I had trouble doing anything besides "you recover some strain" over and over again in the beginner box campaign.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

homullus posted:

My point is that Lucas' world isn't made for that story
Star Wars has grown so far beyond Lucas. The Star Wars films don't care a tiny bit about droid rights, but someone in the Star Wars universe does.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
There's always Skippy the Jedi Droid, if you're looking for a force sensitive automaton.

Sadly this comic is Infinities (non-canon)

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Drone posted:

Is there another forum besides SA that you all use for play-by-post games of EotE, or have you just been running live games? I kinda want to get more into it but there's only one EotE game currently recruiting here.

Well, as soon as I'm done acquainting myself with the full rule book, I plan on running a PbP game, so there's at least one more that'll open up soon.

neonchameleon posted:

Because there were no civillians on the Death Star. It was just a very large warmachine. And there's a huge difference between sinking a passenger liner and a battleship.

Tons of civilians were stationed on the Death Star.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

neonchameleon posted:

Define civillians. There's a reason that when I google for "Civillian Contractors" the second result is the Wikipedia page on mercenaries.

There were several bars, clubs, and shopping centers on station, all of which were staffed by non-military personnel . The head librarian for the Death Star's datacenter was also a civilian. head librarian was an Imperial Navy commander, my mistake.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

neonchameleon posted:

In short the camp followers are also on the Death Star. Sorry, but it's an installation planned for military use, built for military use, and that serves the military almost exclusively and to which people moved to serve the military even if not in the military.

What about the civilians that have no desire to be there? One of the senior architects for the living spaces on the Death Star was a political prisoner, forced to work on-station. One of the bartenders and her bouncer were offered a job on a space station, not told it housed a planet-busting superlaser.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

neonchameleon posted:

We're literally talking a fraction of 1% of the Death Star here. Are any civilian casualties a tragedy? Yes. But the difference between 99% of the population of the death star being either military or having moved there to service the military - and on the way to try to kill the rebels, and Alderaan which was more or less peaceful and with a tiny fraction being either military or rebels.

Blowing up the Death Star was blowing up a genuinely military target in self defence when there was no other viable option, and the military target had already blown up a world. Blowing up Alderaan fulfilled none of those criteria.

Mind citing your source? I don't recall any source elaborating the exact proportion of civilians to soldiers on the Death Star.

Also, at no point was I saying that blowing up the Death Star was a bad course of action; just that "there were no civilians on the Death Star" was an erroneous statement.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Tharizdun posted:

Alan Dean Foster's "Splinter of the Mind's Eye" from the 70s, where Luke meets and fights Darth Vader before the events of ESB, and reminisces about the *exact* number of people he killed on the Death Star.

Huh, it's been a while since I read Splinter.

I know Shadows of Mindor also has that as a plot point; Luke starts to wonder if some of his actions should get him tried as a war criminal and he mentioned the death toll from blowing up the Death Star.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I haven't gotten to the chapter on the Force yet in my reading, but I know it's very minimal in this game. A lot of the big Force stuff is being saved for the 3rd core book they're gonna put out.

Think "what Obi-Wan does in ANH" more than "what Yoda does in episodes 2 and 3".

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I find myself inordinately excited for Age of Rebellion and I don't know why. Of the 3 'playstyles' (Fringers, Troopers, Force Users) they're catering the books too, Troopers are probably my least favorite, but I think Edge of the Empire won me over enough to really want all 3 books.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Do we have a master list of all products in FFG's Star Wars RPG line (preferably with release dates) somewhere that's not on their website? I don't know why, but I've always had really long load times and timeouts on FFG's website, and I wanted to quickly check up on what all is out/is coming soon in EotE-land.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

That's perfect. It feels like there's more stuff out; I guess I'm just confusing FFG's other two Star Wars lines with this one.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Carteret posted:

You are, sadly. I play the Card Game, and have the starter box of X-Wing, but can't justify spending every loving dollar I have on FFG products. I need gas and food, you see.

Man, I remember I was really worried when FFG picked up the SW license...and now I own Edge of the Empire (beginner and core book + more dice), at least one of every X-Wing ship, and a complete playset of all the LCG stuff.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I don't agree with the "If you pay for it it's not a real beta!!" complaint either. Video games have been doing this for years; buying early access at a premium cost over just buying the game when it comes out. It's an extra incentive for those who want in early, and the cost of entry keeps John Q. Public from picking through the beta and whining about it being unfinished.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

rocode posted:

Yes, but with videogames if you buy your way into the beta you aren't expected to buy the release game as well. :)

If there's a premium price tag associated with beta access, it comes out to the same thing. For a recent example, Payday 2 had a special edition for $20 over regular edition's retail that included beta access. If you wanted into the beta, you paid extra over just buying the game on release.

If anything, FFG's model is better, since the beta is an entirely separate purchase. You can buy into the beta test and then decide "meh, I'll pass on the full version" whereas with the payday 2 example, if it turned out you hated the beta, you were still stuck with a preorder of the released game.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

rocode posted:

Payday 2 is a bad example, as both pre-order versions included beta access, but yes, I see your point.

Did it? Maybe Career Criminal had the spare key for a friend or something. Anyway, yeah, I can totally see why having Beta and the Release being separate purchases would upset some people, but EotE had a quick enough turnaround (even including the delay) that you don't lose a whole lot waiting for the errata'd, full release hardcover.

If my FLGS gets the beta book in, I'm all over it though. I'm in love with the system as a whole. One of these days I'll get some friends together and actually play EotE.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Mustache Ride posted:

I got the Beyond the Rim adventure in for use with my real life EotE game, and I was wondering, would anyone be interested if I ran it as a PbP?

If enough people say they will I'll try to get a recruitment thread up and start making the game onlineable.

My schedule has normalized enough for me to feel up to play in a PbP. I'd totally submit a character.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Does Fantasy Flight's Star Wars system have a name other than "FFG's Star Wars roleplaying"? I've been referring to it as the "Edge of the Empire system", but with Age of Rebellion coming out soonish and Force and Destiny on the horizon, it'd be nice to have something slightly more accurate and all-encompassing to say in conversation.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I'm about to fire up a IRL game of EotE for my housemates and I plan on getting out my grid game-mat, but only as a tactile/visual aid. I think a lot of combat hangups in RPGs in general come from players/GMs having difficulty maintaining a mental image of who's where.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Carteret posted:

Do you have a mat without lines? Having a visual aid is awesome, but people with tabletop experience tend to get reaaaally hung up on grid distance in my experience.

Its a reversible square/hex mat. I don't think my group will have too much trouble though...my wife isn't a hardcore RPGer and has never actually played in a game that bothered with grid distances (up til now she's only played FATE, Fiasco, and Dungeon World), one housemate is even newer to RPGs, only having played FATE, and the third of our little band is an experienced enough player to take "ignore the grid lines" at face value.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
It wouldn't be too hard to house rule that away. I know a lot of players thrive on their characters having some sort of progression system, so having a checkboxed, gated talent tree system gives those players what they want, but since the whole tree is right there at your fingertips, I could very easily see just giving two or three of the more overt talents to a character at char-gen and then awarding a couple more as the campaign progresses.

In tangentially related content, I flipped through my FLGS' copy of Enter the Unknown this evening, and while I think it's a hair overpriced, it looks pretty awesome. It adds some super-high-"level" options to the Explorer career. Once you've gotten an Explorer specialization maxed out, you can move down into one of the new trees (I can't recall what the book called them...masteries, maybeEDIT: They're called Signature Abilities) that have things that are even more "here's a cool thing for your character's bag of tricks".

I was worried the book wouldn't have anything to offer people not playing as Explorers, but FFG found what I think is a perfect balance. If anything, it caters more toward general EotE players than it does to Explorer players. Chapter 1 has those new Explorer talents, but it also has 3 more races for any character (one duplicated from Age of Rebellion, 2 unique thus far), and the ostensibly-Explorer-centric backgrounds and Obligations could just as easily be used for other character types.

Chapter 2 is a bunch of Explorer and archeology themed gear and ships. Stuff like excavation equipment, hazard suits, sensors, swoops, and light freighters. Honestly it's the most boring of the three chapters, but has a bunch more art and such.

Chapter 3 deals with how to make adventures that deal with the themes of exploration and discovery. Again, it's ostensibly for "here's what you throw at a party that has an explorer in it", but it's all just generally good adventure building advice, just centered around a theme.

jivjov fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Dec 9, 2013

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Chortles posted:

Is there an IPV-1 System Patrol Craft in there, or is it in Beyond the Rim?

That's in Beyond the Rim.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Gravy Train Robber posted:

What sort of mechanical stuff is in Beyond the Rim that could be used aside from the adventure?

There are stats on a handful of ships (including IPV-1, Corellian CR90, Modified Bulk Freighter) and statblocks for various types of adversaries (including ISB Agents, Rodian gang members, Nexu)you could lift out and repurpose, and stats on a couple planets (Cholganna, Raxus Prime, The Wheel [space station, not planet, but you get the idea]).

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Chortles posted:

Is it a modified CR90 using custom rules besides use of a Customization Hard Points and the EotE core book's default attachments?

Honestly, I'm not sure. I've not dealt heavily with and ships or space combat so far in my games.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Gravy Train Robber posted:

Thanks, I'm still in the process of digesting everything in the core book that I got last week from my awesome secret santa, but already looking at supplements for even more goodies.

What are the races added in Enter the Unknown?

Duro (that's the one from Age of Rebellion too), Chiss, Toydarian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Honestly my only big complaint about Edge of the Empire on the whole is the supplement pricing. And it's hard to complain too much when I'm holding a gorgeous full-color, full-art hardback. I kinda wish they'd go with a cheaper paperback "splatbook" format, but I'll admit that the books look amazing on the shelf and flipping through them.

If I wanted to get a little more nitpicky, I'll add a small complaint that Beyond the Rim doesn't have an index of all the mechanical stuff. Since I'm playing in Mustache Ride's PbP game of it, I've avoided sitting down and reading through the plot, but it'd be nice to have page references for all the adversary stat blocks and ship stats and the like.

• Locked thread