Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
homullus
Mar 27, 2009

alg posted:

I picked up the Beginner Game. It's really, really nice, probably the nicest intro game I've ever seen. I really want to run this for my guys now, I just can't see a way of doing it online :smith:

There IS a MapTool framework for playing WFRP3e online, and it also uses custom dice. So it can happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

The thing that interests/puzzles me the most is the pregen character folios, with their upgrade trees baked-in. Even though the game's in three tiers, I could certainly see the possibility of their releasing more with actual modules (as happened with WFRP3e -- some careers came with modules rather than core rules expansions).

In terms of Jedi vs. everybody else, Jedi got annihilated by everybody else in Revenge of the Sith, so.... I am not too worried about game balance.

The other thing I like is the force points (or whatever they're called) for the session -- they start out black or white (for GM and players respectively) and get flipped to the other color when expended, rather than discarded. A session with two out all the time will have more swing, more people modifying rolls on both sides of the screen (not included).

homullus fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Dec 20, 2012

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

alg posted:

Sure you could. But that would be incredibly tedious.

Probably better would be getting a hold of the old beta set, which had stickers for the dice. Buy blank dice, apply stickers.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

LumberingTroll posted:

We finished our Spreadsheet magic SW EotE Character sheets
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AmC3HKYxUU_fdDdmU25YMjNac0dYX0JzU2ZjY1RiREE

Go to File>Make Copy if you want to use it (you need to be logged in to google)

Species, Career, and Specialization are all drop downs. Characteristics, Derived Stats and Skill ranks need to be entered manually.
Starting skill dice pools and career/spec skills are calculated automatically.

The second tab is for details and RP information, the third tab is for the character to track where they spend XP.

Hope you all like it.

You were already my hero for finding the die-roller on MapTool. Excellent work!

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Jay Little talks about the dice in Edge of the Empire. Nothing surprising if you've played it or WFRP3 (which he also designed), but might help those who don't get the dice thing.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

BattleMaster posted:

Yeah, the moment the Empire finds out you're force sensitive, bad things will start to happen.

On the other hand, if you weren't in the middle of things and were more, you know, on "the edge of the Empire" (to coin a totally new phrase), then maybe being Force-sensitive is balanced in-game.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

BattleMaster posted:

What you think there's no Imperial presence there? Even when the beginner adventure featured Stormtroopers landing in your little backwater town just to help the friendly local crime lord off you?

I think if a GM wants to run a campaign with a whole party full of Force-sensitives like they were the Dukes of Kashyyyk (complete with Rebellion-logo-emblazoned General Lee landspeeder that plays Dixie when it rolls into town) then that is ok. It is on the Edge of the Empire.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

BattleMaster posted:

I never said anything about it being unbalanced( I'm sure it's fine knowing Fantasy Flight) or people not being allowed to do what they want. I only said that I think it provides tons of hooks for people with ill intentions to be after any character who goes that route if they're too open about it. I'm sure you think repeating the game's name over and over is real entertaining though

I was totally entertained by repeating the name of the game, but I wasn't trying to antagonize you by doing so. Sorry about that! I agree that a GM who wants to be a jerk has a blank check (with an even bigger space for the units of campaign suffering than plain GMing normally provides) when players decide to be Force-sensitive. The game supports GM-jerkness but does not require it just because there is an Empire. As always, the real answer is that everybody should talk about what they want out of the game so that everyone has a good time. I hope this helps clarify what I was getting at!

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Winson_Paine posted:

I am thinking about trying the four player boxed set crew and two pregenned adventures as a PBP to sort of shake out how to run this on PBP. Would I get any takers from here?

If you do that, I'll run a (terrible) MapTool one.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

I am not picky and am interested in trying out play by post! I am least interested in being a walking carpet and will let others choose first. A timely reminder: there are two more characters on the FFG website, a technician and an explorer.

EDIT: if you don't have the beginner box, choose one from the site! ;)

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

I think that leaves the droid and the bounty hunter. I'll go with the bounty hunter! (I don't remember her name and don't have the books at work).

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

And again, wound vs. strain doesn't matter for all bad guys -- all but Nemeses feel strain as wounds anyway. So a wookiee would be able to "disarm" all sorts of guys.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

PantsOptional posted:

Possibly absurdly dumb question: when calculating damage, do you deal additional damage for every uncancelled success, or for every additional uncancelled success? That is to say, with 3 successes and 5 base damage, am I dealing 7 damage or 8 damage?

My understanding is that it's 7 -- the first uncancelled success makes it a success for 5 damage, and then you have two more.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

The folios say "+1 damage per Success rolled", but they abbreviate and probably shouldn't there. The Beginner Book itself says that it's +1 per remaining Success after the initial Success is calculated.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

TheDemon posted:

This isn't necessarily a problem, but it makes opposed checks kind of feel like you rely completely on whoever in the party focused on each stat. And that brings me back to how many tricks each stat has, which for some like Int, Cunning, or Presence is "a lot" and for others like Brawn or Will is "barely any"

I guess maybe it's a roleplaying game problem more than specific to this system, but the difficulty of opposed checks really hammers it home. And in a more narrative system like this one, having pigeonholed party roles doesn't mesh very well, compared to crunchier or more combat-focused systems.

I think that you're right about it being a RPG problem. In games where magic or technology is A Thing, you either need to limit that thing to be about as good as physical skill (not going to happen in Star Wars because the Force and the Death Star), boost physical effectiveness to par with technology or magic (not going to happen in Star Wars because of the same things), or shrug and say "don't be a musclethug in the game" (which is totally Star Wars -- the strongest character is probably Chewbacca, and I don't think he ever accomplished anything by strength in the movies, right?).

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

From over on the FFG forums:

quote:

It depends. People with more time to spend on the statistics than I have claimed that adding an Ability die is better than upgrading to a Proficiency die.

If I want to put points into being good with a blaster rifle (ranged - heavy), I can do it by boosting my Agility from 2 to 3 (30 XP), or by buying two ranks in the skill (15-25 XP). (I could, of course, do both; but we're comparing basic options here.)

The boosted Agility has broader payoff up front for Agility based skills, but it costs more (in some cases *significantly* more), and leaves me without any Proficiency dice to roll, so I'll never hit that Triumph with my blaster rifle, so my Advantages better come up hot enough to make up the difference.

Note: We'll assume that both characters have Ranged - heavy on their career skill list moving forward. Assuming they both *don't* only changes the individual costs, and assuming that only 1 does just loads the deck against the other one.

After character creation, the Skill character only has to spend 35 XP to hit a pool of 4 dice (2c/4s). That same 35 XP for the Agility character would only give them 3 dice (3c/3s) (30 XP spent, 5 'in the bank' for the next rank). As the skill points get more expensive, that 15 XP 'lead' becomes smaller and if the two characters allocate equal XP toward boosting their raw dice pools in that skill, they will leapfrog each other in effectiveness. (The Skill character will add an extra die first, but when their pools are of equal size, the Agility character will have 1 more Proficiency die.)

At maximum XP expenditure, the Agility character will be better by a single Proficiency die because any boost the Skill character can get to a Characteristic the Agility character can get as well, and for the same overall cost. (But at the same post-creation cost, the Skill character will also have had 15 more XP to put into other Skills or Talents as well.)

The Skill option means 'topping out' lower than the Characteristic option, but it also means having more XP to allocate in other ways. As a result, which is 'better' will depend on a *wide* range of questions.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

alg posted:

FFG is releasing a Star Wars adventure for Free RPG Day! http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=4095

I hope the cover is better than that.

What do you mean? It looks pretty consistent with the other releases for the game so far.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

I think you either need to use a grid and do it the old-fashioned way or go with whatever the GM says in the moment.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Mendrian posted:

Even using a grid doesn't clarify things because you have to figure out how everything moves relative to you every time any figure moves.

I don't think this is true, because you assign numbers of squares to the range bands, and likewise assign a movement maneuver to a number of squares. You will always be moving a set number of squares, and always be able to count squares to determine range.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Mendrian posted:

Except that moving from Medium to Long or Long to Extreme costs two maneuvers. And the only thing that determines that requirement is relative position to another figure.

So you have two choices: You can either introduce two new range bands (Medium.5 and Long.5) and just straight up count those when determining distance. Or you can drop the nonsense about moves to some squares requiring extra movement.

You're right! Going to squares and maneuver = 5 squares requires one of those two.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

I realize this won't help most people, but FFG's Event Center (and company store) was still giving away copies of the Free RPG Day adventure when I bought the new Core Rulebook on Saturday. It helps me immensely, because one player in my group has already been through Escape from Mos Shuuta, and I want to introduce the rest of the group to the game.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Has anyone run the adventure at the back of the core book? I've done Escape from Mos Shuuta, and I'm running Shadows of a Black Sun now, and planning to go off the rails if there is still interest from the group later, but was thinking of tacking on the one from the core book. I'd rather not, if it sucks in practice. The one in the GM's Guide looks good too, but I'm interested in feedback on that one as well if you've run it.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

treeboy posted:

reading the rule book and delving back into the art thread has me itching to draw some star wars scoundrels and ne'er-do-wells (and other denizens of the fringe)

If anyone has a character concept they want illustrated I'm looking for some inspiration for drawing up some 'doodles'

If you can stand it, there aren't many pictures of scoundrel-y Bothans. If you can draw a Bothan that a non-furry would see and think "hey, I wanna be that character" . . . well, I'll be impressed, I guess? I don't have much to offer. :(

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

treeboy posted:

apologies for the double post, took this about as far as I could

this is how I've always seen bothans in my head, more of a Ron Pearlman Beast than horse-face furry. Took forever since it's been awhile since I painted anything

And yet, you made a cool Bothan. If you're not sick of doing these, a cool Sullustan would also be welcome.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

treeboy posted:

started roughing in the sullustan

Haha, that's awesome. I don't understand what he's holding, though.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

I think it's a question of "what clothing would a being that doesn't need clothing choose to wear?" For example, I could totally imagine C3-PO choosing to wear super-short, tight, 1970s basketball shorts.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Faceless Clock posted:

Unfortunately the Beginner's Game isn't really up for being a player's guide. There are no character creation rules no gear, for starters.

The Game Master content starts on page 286. That is almost a 300 page full color hardback of player content. You should probably just wish for richer players, they wouldn't be able to afford a "player's guide" either.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

I think the other interesting thing about high-level play (that it shares with its parent game, WFRP3) is that there is no mechanical endpoint -- no end to the XP chart, where you need to wrap up the campaign when people hit level 30. The cap on attributes also means that campaigns won't go on to the point where one character has the stats of a star destroyer, and the GM struggles to come up with ways to challenge him.

I think that since it's open to most people (droids aren't people), that eventually everyone will choose to be Force sensitive. When more specializations and signature moves come out, it will provide even more narrative opportunities.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Carteret posted:

You monster. I bet you think restraining bolts are the responsible thing to do, and memory wipes are part of droid maintenance!

...Droid hater.

Maybe the EU covers this, but there's a lot that's problematic about Star Wars as Lucas created it. Droids are very clearly imbued with personalities (even the lowly mouse droid), and yet are owned by other sentients and (via the restraining bolt) enslaved; the only characters concerned about memory wipes are the droids. R2D2 played a pivotal role in the destruction of the Death Star (as much as Leia did!), and got nothing for it. The Rebels are rebelling against empire, but themselves grant droids no suffrage. The galaxy is incredibly wasteful with its natural resources, building massive fleets and abandoning wrecks wherever, and creating sentient beings, only to leave them wherever for Jawas to stack like cordwood in their sandcrawlers.

None of this bothers me -- it's mythmaking aimed at kids, painted in broad strokes -- but there are some sci-fi stories that his world isn't made for.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

devilmaydry posted:

They kind of cover how nobody really takes droids seriously in the corebook. The only reason droids can move around so freely on the Fringe is that pretty much everyone is unscrupulous in there dealings, so they don't mind who does their dirty work.

The adventure in the back of the corebook contains some droid discrimination, there's an informant that won't talk to any droid characters unless the entire party is made of droids. Even then, he'll only talk to the most human looking one. I do think the "droids are slaves" idea is very apt. A droid's owner can actually free them when they die, which is also covered in the adventure in the back of the core book.

I disagree that a droid's story isn't worth telling, though. Them gaining sentience, or being set free, and how they deal with that and try to make do in a world designed against them can be interesting. I also like all of that stuff that extends naturally from what we know of the Star Wars universe. Even if it isn't covered in the movies, it can still be really interesting to tell those stories.

I agree, and saw that in the Core book. My point is that Lucas' world isn't made for that story -- the Rebellion is not one of droids against people, and the Rebellion we have is going to be dominating the releases for Edge of the Empire. You could certainly try to tell that story in your own game, and I think it would be interesting, but it would be a radical deviation from canon, as far as I can tell.

homullus fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jul 24, 2013

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

jivjov posted:

Star Wars has grown so far beyond Lucas. The Star Wars films don't care a tiny bit about droid rights, but someone in the Star Wars universe does.

Totally! I find the unexamined cultural assumptions in Lucas' original vision really interesting, though, and a game that deviates from canon (and the EU) can try to go there. I don't mean stuff like Kessel Run/parsec (I think they should have just decided that parsec was a unit of time for that galaxy). Why is it not ok to blow up one planet (Alderaan) but ok to blow up another (the Death Star)? Why didn't Lucas stick with "Revenge of the Jedi", then? If the Millennium Falcon is such a commonplace hunk of junk, why don't we see any more of those?

IG-88 is a great example of a lot of things (again, I don't read EU stuff) -- how is a droid even a freelancer? Why do assassin droids even exist, when any barkeep in a crappy Tatooine bar can have a droid detector? If they're that good, why wasn't Boba Fett the lone organic in a scene full of droids?

If you just go by the movies, the real message seems to be that most droids are just machines, but a few others have risen above that and have developed personalities, and that those who have them still consider themselves closer to their mute kin than to the organics...which sounds a lot like 1970s racism in the US. Doesn't Luke (or Ben or somebody) even say something like "the Force is strong in that one" of R2? Why can't droids use the Force, if mini-accordions can magic up a virgin birth? If the whole point of midi-chlorians is symbiosis, would that explain why droids in a semi-symbiotic relationship with powerful Force-users end up closer to people?

I don't want to sound crazed about this, because I'm not: the few games I've run of EotE just involved cracking wise, shooting dudes, and collecting credits. I do think the movies, despite their supposed timelessness, are more a product of their time than people realize.

devilmaydry posted:

But the Edge of the Empire doesn't focus on the rebellion, it focuses on the outcasts of society. The next book, Age of Rebellion, is what covers the rebellion in detail.
What I meant was that future books are going to keep us tied to the events/world of the Rebellion, whether we like it or not, not that we can't ignore that or work it out. I do not mean any of these things as a criticism of either Star Wars or Edge of the Empire, I like both a whole lot. Edge of the Empire represents the best opportunity so far for telling (for example) a Droid Autonomy story.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Prefect Six posted:

Still no free rpg day PDF up on FFG's website. Kinda stinks.

I just ran it. It's good as far as it goes, but it assumes a one-shot with the pre-gen characters: Obligation is treated differently, most notably ("in this scene, if X character took on extra obligation, add two more guards"). It's also definitely short: there are basically four locations, and players may get the info for the final one at the first place they go.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Chortles posted:

Is is the sort of thing where there's a basis from which house ruling can happen, or were FFG really anvilicious about "outside the scope of what's supposed to be roleplayed with this system" like some of its defenders seem to be re: Force-users? Setting adaptability was one of the pluses of Saga for me, but I get the sense that FFG's intent was for "character proficiency in other fields" and "capacity for using the Force" to be something of a zero-sum equation, that one must necessarily be at the other, which I wasn't fond of in Saga, but there it was seemingly more due to the constraints of the d20 system whereas here it's by design specifically because of long-standing problems with Jedi/Force-using characters in earlier roleplaying games.

Force usage is not zero-sum with other specializations unless your campaign is a zero sum XP campaign. You just buy it as a specialization, akin to any other career specialization, and spend points on it. Unless you're a droid.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Chortles posted:

I thought that the supposed-to-be XP payouts per sessions are so low that it would be zero sum in practice?

I don't know where you got this. You're getting 10-20XP per session (based on incentives).

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Chortles posted:

Does the Core Rulebook give guidelines on the amount of payout that you're basing this off of?

Core Rulebook, pg. 301 posted:

The amount awarded is typically 10 to 20 XP per character for a session of two or three major encounters and a handful of minor ones. An additional 5 XP bonus may be granted for reaching key milestones or completing story arcs. Playing to a character's Motivation also grants 5 XP per session at the GM's option. The GM may consider awarding an extra point or two of XP for exceptional roleplaying or highly clever thinking.

For me, 2-3 major encounters and a handful of minor ones is more like two sessions, so that 10-20 becomes 5-10 per session, with the extras bumping it up.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

alg posted:

Beta feedback is due in October of 2013. I wonder if they have fastracked this book for winter release?

Considering the size difference between the Edge of the Empire Beta and the Core Book (the core book being almost twice the size), I'd say no.

The sequence Writers -> Editors -> IP owner -> Layout -> Proofreaders alone takes months. After that is still all the good times with proofs, printing, and distribution.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

8one6 posted:

In theory the core of the system is is the same as EotE so they might just be looking for the interaction of the new classes within the book and the interaction with the EotE classes. That couldn't take that long, could it?

Even if some of the content is exactly the same, LucasFilm's review, layout, proofreading, printing, and distribution would still take the same amount of time.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

I am wondering whether the careers in AoR will have "signature abilities" (as with this) in the Core book, or if they too will be covered in expansions. I am guessing "expansions".

If you think about the content of the EotE core book, there isn't THAT much room for power creep. Because they're meant to be interchangeable:

-- the specializations for various careers can (and, logically, would) contain talents overlapping EotE
-- all the stuff on Obligation will be replaced with Duty
-- all the rules for combat will have to be repeated
-- new equipment and vehicles need not be better, just statted out and illustrated, and can overlap
-- species would logically be the same or similar
-- The Galaxy will need to be spelled out, though the details will be Rebellion-oriented adventure hooks
-- EotE has a starter adventure, so it's reasonable to imagine this would too

I am excited about Age of Rebellion! I am more excited, though, about the expansions for it and EotE, because of the additional specializations, species, signature abilities, and adventure hooks/published adventures.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

I am excited by this! It's print on demand, so you only have to get the ones you need.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Springfield Fatts posted:

It's not like it bogged the game or anything, its just that to everyone in our group this is our first RPG and we want to get the mechanics right. In this specific scenario it was ambiguous so I let his interpretation roll and asked here after the fact. I see it personally as the difference between a nice bump in damage +3 (he has three ranks in it) to +6 damage, a whole 'nother blaster shot hitting. It also skews the build in favor of two pistols vs. a rifle since you have the chance for the talent to procc twice for two shots.

Sorry if this comes off as spergy, I'm still transitioning from tabletop.

I think it would be important to ask them which they'd rather, knowing that it means enemies will be able to do the same thing to them.

• Locked thread