Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Zola posted:

Peacemaker officially came out yesterday. Sadly, I'm still waiting for my pre-ordered copy to arrive, but it should be here soon and I can't wait--Protector ended much too soon!

I don't know why but somehow I had no idea Cherryh was still writing. I thought she was in Asimov's generation for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I haven't forgotten this thread, it's just taking me a while to work my way forward through the alliance/union chronology. Started with Downbelow, read the next two, went back and read the first two, now moving forward through her timeline and up to Cyteen.

SO far the only jarring note has been the way the Downers are just a little too noble-babytalk-savage to quite swallow (same problem with H. Beam Piper's Little Fuzzy series and Scalzi's re-write of it, so this is something SF is still wrestling with).

So far Cyteen is amazing. You can really tell this is an experienced master writer -- no amateur or novice could write children's-viewpoint like this and make it as believable as she does. To write this kind of book you have to be really good and really confident in exactly how good you are; a lesser writer couldn't hack it and a less confident writer wouldn't have tried in the first place.

• Locked thread