Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

1:Jedi Knight
2: Twi'lek
3: Female
4: Skinny
5: Heart of Gold

Colour her pink, call her Haruko and we'll have an LP!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Typhus733
Aug 30, 2008
1: Imperial Agent
3: Fem
5: Whatever it takes

IA has a great story from what I saw of it though I played an inquisitor most. I really liked this game, if only it hadn't been an MMO. I don't hate the concept of an MMO and I don't think that is what "ruined" the game or what have you but I just can't find myself caring about the genre for too long any more, I burned out my ability to marathon these kinds of game a long rear end time ago especially now that I have a kid to raise. That all said I still enjoyed what I played and thought TOR had a fair bit of promise.

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!

CommissarMega posted:

:stare: What the hell? Can you elaborate more on this policy? How did they find out it was you in the first place? Did someone see you posting over your shoulder or something? And what did you post?

It's not an official policy but especially near the end of the project they basically said "don't do it". Part of the reason is because of all the bad press that certain individuals have garnered in the past. Also when you have a team of 400 it's impossible to make sure they aren't saying erroneous or negative things, so better to just avoid it completely.

As for me, it actually turned into a manhunt that I didn't even know was going on. Knowing that I shouldn't be talking about my own project, my post was in defense of Dragon Age 2 and the massive amount of work they accomplished in just one year. I also speculated about why BioWare games don't sell the same numbers as other AAA titles like Skyrim or GTA and they didn't like that.

Nearly two months later I get called into the boss' office. They thought it was an Edmonton employee for a long time but someone did some internet detective work on the name Chewbot and figured out it was me down in the Austin studio. The studio head told me that they appreciated the very positive comment about DA2 and never, ever do it again. I don't make a fuss about this kind of stuff but needless to say it left a sour taste in my mouth.

If you've ever wondered why more developers don't talk to the fanbase, there you go.

Chewbot fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Aug 29, 2012

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Looks like it's going to be Imperial Agent after all. Agent is the only class I played through to the end of the story. :( And I played a good guy.

Eldataluta
May 31, 2012
1. Smuggler
5. Idealist

I've heard mixed reviews about this game. Is it worth picking up, or should I just read the lp and call it a day?

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
It was fun, but there wasn't any endgame content. So you'd play through your class missions like a single player game and maybe do some group stuff if you had friends playing, and then you'd get to the end of that and be left hanging with nothing to do but raise an alt. I'd wait for it to hit F2P.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Eldataluta posted:

I've heard mixed reviews about this game. Is it worth picking up, or should I just read the lp and call it a day?

I enjoyed it, but didn't keep my subscription for more than a few months. It has decently written story (depending on class - I took an Agent, Warrior, and Trooper all the way through) and good if highly derivative gameplay. When I stopped playing, it had no endgame and got very grindy and repetitive towards the end. Some planets were just an exercise in endurance to get through (Taris and Belsavis being the big offenders), and the game generally could have done with a lot more variety.

All other things being equal, I think TOR is a solid game for what it does, and I think my money on it was pretty well spent insofar as spending money on video games is good, but I think another recent MMO that I will refrain from mentioning by name is a better value for your video gaming money.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Eldataluta posted:

It's gonna go F2P in a few months, so just wait for that.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

I played the Beta of this, but never got too far into it. Looking forward to seeing it more completely.

I'll vote for
1. Bounty Hunter
5. Heart of Gold

Propaganda Bob
Aug 26, 2006

Not one step backwards!
1: Smuggler
2: Human
3: Male

I really can't give enough love to the smuggler questline. I chose to play it as a smart-rear end Han Solo-type and I can't imagine doing it any way else, especially since the game goes out of its way to specifically allow you to either make fun of or be a dick to almost every single character you come across. I remember laughing pretty much the entire way through.

Imperial Agent is great as well, it's very James Bond-y.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

JT Jag posted:

2: Chiss
4: 2

Let's go with this one because I can

Yessod
Mar 21, 2007
I'm curious about the trooper line - I played through Smuggler and it was pretty awesome, and once the game is FTP I'll likely finish up Agent and Bounty Hunter.

1. Cyborg
2. Trooper
3. Female
4. 3
5. Whatever it takes

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Propaganda Bob posted:

1: Smuggler

This. Smuggler is kind of the best.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

1.) Trooper
2.) Cyborg
3.) Male
4.) 4
5.) Whatever It Takes

Goony soldier that joined up to prove that he is the biggest badass out there. May not actually be a cyborg, possibly just glued metal to his face in an attempt to look cool.

You kid, but that's what Cyborgs look like in TOR.

This is also what I'm voting for though.

Eldataluta
May 31, 2012

Terper posted:

It's gonna go F2P in a few months, so just wait for that.

I hadn't heard that. Alright. Thanks for the tip.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Hmmm... Well...

1:Trooper
2:Human
4: 4 (because we seriously need the sight of a fatass soldier hauling rear end)
5: Whatever it Takes

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Why yes, I DO have enough CON to whip my hair.

4: 4
5: Whatever It Takes

The Agent story really is the best.

Zellus
Apr 3, 2010

Incompetence surrounds me!
4: Average

The IA's story is pretty awesome.

Bloomington
Apr 20, 2010

JT Jag posted:

2: Chiss
4: 2

I agree with this, I did the imperial agent story and from what I've heard it's supposed to be the best one. Also I was a male human, so I'd much rather see it from the viewpoint of a female chiss.

Also, if any of you are looking for a KOTOR 1 LP to watch, I'd recommend you watch this one by Wampa Lord, especially as this game has alot more to do with KOTOR 1 than 2 (Not that you shouldn't read the KOTOR 2 LP by Scorchy as it's really, really good).

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Bloomington posted:

I agree with this, I did the imperial agent story and from what I've heard it's supposed to be the best one. Also I was a male human, so I'd much rather see it from the viewpoint of a female chiss.

Also, if any of you are looking for a KOTOR 1 LP to watch, I'd recommend you watch this one by Wampa Lord, especially as this game has alot more to do with KOTOR 1 than 2 (Not that you shouldn't read the KOTOR 2 LP by Scorchy as it's really, really good).

By now, I'd say Scorchy's KotOR II LP should be mandatory reading. One of the best LPs out there with the amount of detail and focus it goes into.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Regalingualius posted:

4: 4 (because we seriously need the sight of a fatass soldier hauling rear end)

I just want to know if 4 is slightly overweight or straight up obese. The later would be hilarious.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Internet Kraken posted:

I just want to know if 4 is slightly overweight or straight up obese. The later would be hilarious.

Not even overweight on a female. Just curvy. On a male, it's big but sumo wrestler big - the kind that's very heavy, but also very muscular.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Cythereal posted:

Not even overweight on a female. Just curvy. On a male, it's big but sumo wrestler big - the kind that's very heavy, but also very muscular.

So what you're saying is that I CAN'T make Porkins' ancestor in this game.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Chewbot posted:

Oh boy, here we go. I was wondering if anyone would do this game. I worked on SWtOR for six years and was one of the first artists hired. I was an environment art lead for four years and switched to senior cinematic designer once cinematic production started. I know more about this game than anyone really should.

One time while working at BioWare I made a comment on Something Awful and got in trouble for not getting it approved first. Guess what. I don't work for BioWare anymore. I'm happy to answer any questions about the game either specific to the game or production as long as we don't hijack Moon Slayer's thread.

This is awesome. I remember your posts in the Dragon Age 2 thread back around the time it came out, and they were pretty interesting. One thing I've always wondered about TOR, since I don't really know that much about the video game industry, is what was EA's involvement in everything? I've heard people say the game was released too early because of EA and that's why it felt so unpolished but I don't know if that's true or people talking out their rear end on the internet or even possible.

EDIT: Added the KotOR 1 LP to the OP (that's a lot of acronyms).

Moon Slayer fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Aug 30, 2012

Ramba Ral
Feb 18, 2009

"The basis of the Juche Idea is that man is the master of all things and the decisive factor in everything."
- Kim Il-Sung
Imperial Agent
4: Average
5: Whatever it takes

I am putting my vote for this to see how the IA story fleshes out.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Cythereal posted:

My chunky Sith Warrior was the best Sith Warrior :allears:.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Also, OP: Do you plan to reveal what server you'll be on after the votes are in/accounted for?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Deadmeat5150 posted:

My chunky Sith Warrior was the best Sith Warrior :allears:.

I had fun with a female body type 1 Sith Warrior. Tiny little blonde girl with a ponytail kicking rear end and making Jedi tie themselves in philisophical knots. Light side Warrior is awesome.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Internet Kraken posted:

On females the only thing body type affects is cup size (on the scale of large/huge/enormous), aside from 3 which is She-Hulk. On males 4 is... not Porkins but pretty close.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Bruceski posted:

On females the only thing body type affects is cup size (on the scale of large/huge/enormous), aside from 3 which is She-Hulk. On males 4 is... not Porkins but pretty close.

I guess that is exactly what I should have expected from Bioware.

megamariox
Jun 4, 2011
1: Sith Inquisitor

Sith Inquisitor gets force lightning which is always fun.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Chewbot posted:

It's not an official policy but especially near the end of the project they basically said "don't do it". Part of the reason is because of all the bad press that certain individuals have garnered in the past.

Oh, so it's post-DA2. Yeah, I can see why Bioware would want to limit dev-public contact after The Parade Of Chucklefucks.

Chewbot posted:

If you've ever wondered why more developers don't talk to the fanbase, there you go.

Didn't stop you in the Banner Saga thread :v:

(How is that going, by the way?)

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010
2:Cyborg
3:Male
4:2
5:Heart of Gold

Will you be asking the thread for actual looks and builds and maybe a few 'splits', or will you play the way you want after initial creation?

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Regalingualius posted:

Also, OP: Do you plan to reveal what server you'll be on after the votes are in/accounted for?

I will, because I do plan on showing off the flashpoints and it would make them easier/more fun to run if I had people from the thread join me.

JamMasterJim posted:

Will you be asking the thread for actual looks and builds and maybe a few 'splits', or will you play the way you want after initial creation?

I'll ask for some votes on armor choice and other cosmetic things after we get a bit into the game. I'll also let you guys choose what advanced class I play, because that is also a bit of a cosmetic choice. After we choose the class/species/gender/body I'll try and make a character that looks decent, since it would be a pain to vote on all that stuff and would delay actual content even more. Also unless there's a good name suggestion I'll probably just mash "random" until a decent name pops up.

Looks like at the moment Human or Chiss Imperial Agent is in the lead, with Human/Mirialan Smuggler in a close second, followed by Human/Cyborg Trooper in a distant third. Keep the votes coming!

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Chewbot posted:

Oh boy, here we go. I was wondering if anyone would do this game. I worked on SWtOR for six years and was one of the first artists hired. I was an environment art lead for four years and switched to senior cinematic designer once cinematic production started. I know more about this game than anyone really should.

I don't know how much you would know about this considering you were on the art team, but why did the game come out so, uh, rough? I think the best way I heard it phrased is that SWTOR was the MMO you would get if your team played The Burning Crusade all the way through then locked themselves in a room and never played another MMO. Things like the really archaic quest design, the excessive amount of mobs you had to kill to get any where, even down to the absolutely terrible Auction House interface all smacked of a game the genre's 10-ton elephant left behind a long time ago.

Did the game feature-lock really early, was Bioware Austin just in over their heads, was there too much focus on the voice work and storylines? I've always been intensely curious as to why a game from an experienced studio with a ton of money behind it came out somewhat mediocre.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
If you are going Agent his last name needs to be Fancypants.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

This game was such a disappointment. I picked it up because friends were playing it. They were die-hard Star Wars fans, and convinced it was going to be amazing. It was mildly depressing to watch them make continual excuses for the game and see their faith that the terrible aspects of it were ever going to be improved degrade over time. Finally, they all gave up.

To anyone who is thinking of paying for it, save your money and just follow the LP. The stories are fairly good, but the gameplay is fairly bland (and for the first few months infuriating because of all the terrible design decisions they wouldn't fix) and the PvP is flat out awful in every regard. Playing through it, you can se areas where they clearly looked at their options and tried to pick the opposite of what World of Warcraft at done so nobody could call them a WoW clone. Some of those ideas worked, but more often than not it was change simply for the sake of change and it was a mess.

On top of all that, their support staff is the worst I have ever dealt with in any MMO, ever. That includes free to play Korean MMOs. Yes, people who don't speak English and who probably aren't making a living wage offer better support than the support staff of what was supposed to be a blockbuster MMO.

[EDIT] All that said, don't let that turn you against this LP. Assuming it is well done, you'll get to see all of the good parts of the game without dealing with any of the bullshit.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

It wasn't the best game for me, but what really killed it was load times. Y'all probably haven't heard of the 30% loading bug, it hit a relatively small percentage of people and I was one of the lucky ones. At 30% the loading screen would just freeze for 2-5 minutes depending on planet size. They said it was due to poor system specs, but as far as we could tell it was system-agnostic. Low end, high end, NVidia, ATI, we couldn't find anything we had in common and so couldn't even begin to figure out how to fix it. I'm sure the guys on Bioware's end had the same problem.

It made the game unbearable. Wipe in a flashpoint, I get to load the planet, hit the gate, and load the flashpoint again. 5 minutes later I'd get back in with everyone else. Warzones involved getting on my ship (only place with a decent load time) and trying to make it out of the Huttball gate before the game dumped me for AFK, since it started the counter while you were loading.

That said, I liked the class stories, at least the first one I did. After that the "fight your way to the same place and walk into a different door for a minute" became a bit apparent, but that's kinda a necessary evil of the format they chose. I'd have preferred to have a way to skip planets, but the class-story quest prevented that for understandable reasons. The class quests led you to almost every corner of every planet, so while the story was different on another guy there wasn't much for the explorer personality to appreciate on replay aside from the occasional class-specific area that wasn't just one room with a boss. It's the kind of game I really wanted to be better than it could be.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Bruceski posted:

It wasn't the best game for me, but what really killed it was load times. Y'all probably haven't heard of the 30% loading bug, it hit a relatively small percentage of people and I was one of the lucky ones. At 30% the loading screen would just freeze for 2-5 minutes depending on planet size. They said it was due to poor system specs, but as far as we could tell it was system-agnostic. Low end, high end, NVidia, ATI, we couldn't find anything we had in common and so couldn't even begin to figure out how to fix it. I'm sure the guys on Bioware's end had the same problem.

The best part about all the bugs they attributed to players not having good enough systems was the fact that there was an interface bug for like the first 3 months the game was out where skills would randomly not go off, or they'd go off like 5-10 seconds after you hit the button (and it not being a network latency issue) or they'd trigger the cooldown but not actually use the skill. Several months and many bug fix attempts later, what do they eventually find out the issue is? Multicore processors. If you played the game on any kind of remotely modern system, the UI wouldn't work in any kind of useful manner.

How did that make it through testing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?
5: Whatever it takes; hates the Sith, but respects them

The Agent really is my favorite story in the game, though I never managed to finish my Smuggler run so if you played that it'd be cool to see where it ends up.

• Locked thread