Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
1 Bounty Hunter
5 Whatever It Takes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Moon Slayer posted:

: When Nem'ro shows, stay at least five meters back, and don't come up unless you're called. One wrong move, and you're a pile of ash.

Are SI units Star Wars canon?

Moon Slayer posted:

Yep, I'm going to start doing that now.

We've got four sub-LP's running at the moment. I'm going to draw the line here. If anyone wants to do one of the Republic classes, they or I can start a second thread for it.

In my opinion it's already a little overcrowded.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62UzLgdb1GQ

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Nipponophile posted:

"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back home, they're not much bigger than two meters."

Still that sort of selective adoption of real world conventional systems always seems odd and rather arbitrary to me.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Gladi posted:

Over what? Arbitrary adoption of imperial measurement system? French pre-revolution system? Inventing your own special snowflake system? /sarcasm

You mean kinda like how written basic uses it's own special snowflake alphabet despite being spoken as plain English?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

My general assumption in Sci-Fi (Star Wars in particular) is that anything adopted from the real world is a convenience adopted for ease of real world comprehension and nothing else.

The reason for the special snowflake alphabet? Because Star Wars came from a visual medium where adding those characters to the background has the potential to create powerful visuals when they need to hammer home the idea that 'this isn't the real world.'

I agree, and forcing the audience to memorize your quaint lore-specific terminology to make any sense of what's being said would be an atrocious thing to do -- part of the reason why I usually despise dealing with elves in fantasy games. It just that it feels odd and always sets off some suspension-of-disbelief hesitation switch in my head, in purely fantastical worlds like SW.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

It really is a pity the TOR developers didn't allow you to customize companions

But you can give them plastic surgery, change their skin color and play dress up! :downs:

Moon Slayer just wanted to inform you that you are responsible for one more copy of TOR being sold (in the very near future). I don't know how you should feel about that. I kinda wish this wasn't an MMO.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Brainamp posted:

It's also gonna be free in a month or two, so why bother getting it before then?

There'll be restrictions on the number of characters you can have and their species (and a load of other mostly social stuff) . If you were a subscriber at any point before it goes F2P, however, you don't lose your alien characters if you unsubscribe. You'll probably have to dump some if you don't have enough character slots, though.

This is relevant to me because I've just leveled a chiss bounty hunter to lvl 15 with a trial account, and would rather not lose that progress (it's unclear whether trial accounts will be fully wiped during the transition to F2P). Plus, so far, I feel the game is worth 15 dollars. Although, I do not plan on subscribing for longer than the introductory month. Hopefully it'll go F2P in October, but I believe EA at one point unofficially said it would be November.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Psion posted:

I think this answers your question:

http://www.swtor.com/support/helpcenter/6481

I was reading their F2P FAQ the other day deciding if this would be worth the HD space. I'm thinkin ... this LP is a better use of my time :v:

So anyone remotely considering playing it F2P at the moment should fill up a trial account with their preferred class/race combinations, even if you'll eventually have to clear some slots.

I'm really only interested in the single player component, so most of the F2P restrictions probably won't bother me much.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

whowhatwhere posted:

Wha...how? Is this including subsequent events and the like? Or the backstory to the MMO (and boy, if you think Vette gets people raging at Bioware, wait until the backstory is revealed...)?

Probably a slightly hyperbolic measure of the amount of voice work/art assets involved compared to the Knights games.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Did all of you have ongoing subscriptions or did you sign up again just for the LP?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

CommissarMega posted:

Of course, I see this news while I'm at work :smithicide: If I start up a Pay-to-Play character/class today, will I be able to continue later on?

I believe only species (or specific class/species combinations) will be hidden behind a paywall. Selectively charging for certain classes would be moronic because of the imbalance it'd introduce. e: And the answer to your question is yes.

Jeabus Mahogany posted:

Also I was going to do this anyway before I found out but you might want to just start off a story in each class as the upcoming free-to-play model might have species/class restrictions? Maybe?

As Psion pointed out earlier in the thread,

Psion posted:

I think this answers your question:

http://www.swtor.com/support/helpcenter/6481

Though it's not entirely unambiguous, it seems like a good idea to make a few trial characters to get the class/species combination you want when it goes F2P.

Jeabus Mahogany posted:

Nope, I'm using the Free Trial. I'm currently only playing classes up to beating the first planet. I've done Bounty Hunter and Sith Inquisitor, and getting real close with the Jedi Knight.

I was asking the LP-ers, but whatevs.

I just bought a copy yesterday, and the monotony is beginning to set in. The story beats aren't that bad, although the overarching bounty hunter narrative seems a bit flimsy. But it would be fine if not for the monotonous MMO grind which constitutes most of your time. Beyond the superficial, there is basically zero variety in what you do from quest to quest.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Sep 14, 2012

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Zaodai posted:

Not being able to count on any of those skills actually activating when you press the button? Complete bullshit.

I've had something like this happen a number of times over the few days I've been playing it. Only thing to do in that situation, I've found, is to run for your dear life -- usually unsuccessfully. Really frustrating.

I've seen a tonne of bugs, actually. From being unable to pick up loot, enemies not falling down when killed, my character hard-locking onto a target that killed me right before I was revived (all the while being shot at with zero damage projectiles), to a bunch of smaller mostly innocuous glitches that still leave a poor impression.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Sep 15, 2012

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

This was neat, thanks for including it. You didn't even bother regenerating to full health before the first boss section :black101: (though that looked like a miscommunication within the group)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

The problem stories seem to happen mostly on the Republic side; but several of their stories seem to end conveniently at level 30 (or, in the Smuggler's case, at level 16 or so for... reasons).

Precisely what I'm feeling with my Bounty Hunter, having just finished Hoth. The Hunt felt contrived, but at least it afforded the story some structure and pacing. Can't say Blizz isn't cool, though.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Brainamp posted:

Yeah, this section of the game is a bit too much running across the world and too little talking.

Doesn't that describe 90% of the story mode?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Dreadwroth posted:

If the Inquisitor player comes back, we can always do something else. I'd still like to do a buddy-cop playthrough but it dosen't have to be Sith, we can do whatever isn't being done.
Ahh I know, how about this:
A Republic Trooper and his/her Smuggler buddy take on the Sith with guns, guts, and a whole lotta luck!
I think Republic should probably be shown of a bit, it has some good stuff too.

The problem is it might be a bit too much for a single thread to include the Republic side, but that said, the 4 playthrough format (well 3 and a bit) has worked out better than I expected.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

A number of the multi-update pages have already crippled my tablet, so I support some sort of separation of the factions.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I didn't find space missions the least bit compelling, and entirely out of place in a multiplayer game.

e:typo

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Oct 6, 2012

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

A female bounty hunter gets an even better final line of dialog from Medle. Probably my favorite bit of writing from my brief (and sadly momentarily ending) time with the game.

That version goes something like this:

Medle posted:

You're everything a woman should be. I wish I'd met you when I was still...

[ DRAMATIC PAUSE ]

...a man.
:aslol:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Psion posted:

I just can't take Tarro Blood seriously with that name and that hair. Hahahaha.

Did you hear his voice? I cannot fathom how anybody thought giving him a pretty boy model was appropriate.

e:From one of Lamadar's videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYuiD0BG_Hk&t=102s

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Oct 15, 2012

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Moon Slayer posted:

Let's try and get to the next page here. I've got the update everyone some people have been waiting for...

Ever since you guys switched over to jpegs, I haven't really had problems with loading. I think 3 jpeg updates per page are fine.

Also I already miss my Imperial Agent :(. Subscription ran out yesterday.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Cythereal posted:

It's the same reason the Bounty Hunter ship bears a notable resemblance to Boba Fett's ship, the Jedi ship resembles the Rebel blockade runner ship, the Trooper ship looks like a B-wing fighter, and the Smuggler ship looks like the Millenium Falcon and Ebon Hawk: they're specifically intended to evoke the imagery and feelings associated with particular characters and organizations from the movies. Once again, the only place where Bioware got/was allowed to get creative was with the Imperial Agent.

In the case of the Fury, it's justified in-setting by being built by the same corporation that built the TIE ships.

The Phantom ship looks vaguely derivative of the royal starship from the Phantom Menace.

However, I think the greater offence lies in just how blatantly some uniforms are cribbed from the movies. It's like TOR takes place in a bizzaro alternate Star Wars universe were everyone has a slightly worse fashion sense, rather than in an entirely different era. The Kotors weren't great about this either, but there was definitely more originality and stylistic independence (just look at the Sith troops).

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Oct 15, 2012

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

whowhatwhere posted:

How did they allow players to kill their companions? By attacking them? Or did they let players pull a Mission Vao and murder the companion in a highly cathartic (if incredibly evil) manner?

I believe it depends. RP-wise not killing/allowing certain followers to join you is in some cases highly irrational, out of character and occasionally infuriating.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Psion posted:

Apparently they've released a lot more details on F2P; from what I can tell F2P isn't gonna let you do much of an LP in any reasonable timeframe. It's pay or wait, as I think we all expected, but ... wow.

"Buy a license to equip purples" is my favorite.

http://www.swtor.com/free/features

I mean maybe someone who's played this can tell me but it seems like from this thread TOR is a game full of arbitrary fetch quests and waiting and repeating quests and grinding. With this thing having a 3 missions of each type/week restriction, you're going to do all of the above at 10% the speed.

No those restrictions only apply to the special missions (Flashpoints, Warzones) that usually require a party -- plus space missions, but that's segregated from the rest of the game. Flashpoints contain story elements, but they're entirely separate from the class/planet missions. I.e., you can do as many regular class/planet mission as you desire as a F2P player.

Some of the F2P limitations are annoying, but they're mostly quality of life issues (having to wait longer to respawn, no sprint by default (!), no rested xp). For the player only interested in the single player content (and you can still group up to do the non-Flashpoint group missions), I think it's not a bad deal, especially if the quality of life upgrades won't be at rip-off prices.

The grinding in the game became too much for me to handle even as a subscriber, so this isn't that attractive a proposition to me, but you do get access to a lot of content for free so I wouldn't call this an unreasonable offer.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Oct 19, 2012

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

Plus they're giving paid subscribers some 'free' coins for being subscribers. I'm not sure how that will work out. Like, will my subscription time translate to being able to buy sprint, purple gear, and fleet pass out of the gate and then play story missions for free? I don't see any store numbers.

What's really low about the whole coins-for-subbing program is that you only get anything out of it if you are subscribed at the time the game goes F2P. And they haven't even announced when that will take place.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Hulk Smash! posted:

It's not a great F2P setup by any means but this is not entirely accurate. For F2P Sprint is given at level 10 instead of 1 (you do get it, but it's like it used to be for everyone) and tech support is limited to self-help FAQ's and what's on the forums, you can't open a ticket though (which is the same as other F2P models I've played, like DCUO).

You mean it's an accepted practice for a F2P customer that potentially spent a lot of money on the game not to receive proper tech support? Not trying to rag on TOR, this is all new to me.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Is anybody from the States playing on Dalborra? Is lag an issue?

(Why aren't Legacies cross-server, BW?)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Moon Slayer posted:

Oh good, I got this...thing.

I should have not paid for this.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

This was fantastic! (Please do a similar review for each and every other advanced class. Please? :allears:)

Lamadar posted:

As always, here is the link to the entire Athiss Flashpoint.

Click Here

Thank you for doing this for the 5 of us that watch through most of the thing! (Moonslayer get your story straight, there were actually two droids!)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Moon Slayer, I don't remember if you mentioned it before, but how are you handling the few story branching elements? Leaving it up to a vote, or are you doing your own thing? (Because I'd really like to see how things could have turned out alternatively to my IA).

Btw, I've been meaning to ask about your experience with the game from before the LP. How many classes have you played to completion?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Bruceski posted:

Is <The Subaru Legacy> taken on your server yet?

If I'm not mistaken, legacy names no longer need to be unique. And I believe they need to be single words, Xarbala.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Catsworth posted:

or a "The ' ' Legacy" title under your name.

Cool didn't know that.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

Speaking of legacies, I was going to hold off on this but...

It's even funnier to me now that Disney owns Star Wars.

Still don't know why BW differentiated the camera angles in the character select screen based on gender. Males look head on, whilst female are in 3/4 profile. You can rotate them yourself, but those are the default angles.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Longinus00 posted:

Think of the intended market; 3/4 view makes the boobs more pronounced compared to front on unless she's wearing something low cut.

Apropos, clothing warps lazily weirdly around boobs in this game.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I turned off 'jump to cover point' as soon as I realized you could keybind 'take cover in place'. Lots of frustration before that.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

whowhatwhere posted:

Does anybody actually like Kaliyo?

To a point. She manages to be uncompromising in her assholishness whilst still somehow maintaining a veneer of charisma.

That said, I have no idea what Keeper was smoking when he decided to recruit her. An obviously corrupt and cynical thrill seeker seems just about the worst person you'd want to grant access to sensitive classified national security information.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

mayo40oz posted:

Or the best depending on if you live in an action movie or not.
I haven't played TOR but so far Kaliyo seems like an alright character, a self-centered lone wolf gunslinger that isn't looking for redemption and a new way to be is a nice change on that kind of character.

She reminds me of "Jack" from Mass Effect 2, in a good way, without the sob story past, mini-strap bra but with her rear end in a top hat rating ratcheted up to eleven. She gives you plenty of reason to dislike her, and I look forward to Abeena's reactions to some of the poo poo she pulls.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

my dad posted:

They had a really good chance to connect story and gameplay, but NOPE. That said, I can't wait to see just how much of an rear end Kaliyo can be.

:speculate:

On the topic of connecting story and gameplay, during the prelude of the Sith Warrior storyline you're told to collect shards of some sith inscriptions, along with two other acolytes. As you return, one of them attacks you, having failed to bring them himself. You can mercifully give him yours, since you know he'd otherwise be killed by Baras, telling him you can get another batch for yourself. I wasted half an hour backtracking because of that fucker. (Dick move BW, but I commend you).

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

M_Sinistrari posted:

I find him terribly annoying, and about a skosh better in tanking than Kaliyo and that's not saying much since I'd happily dump her off at the nearest asteroid without a breather mask.

What's the deal with this? It's the prevailing opinion, but I had no issues myself as a sniper. She keeps aggro off of me well, and is fairly powerful against standard enemies even when speced for tanking. If we want to complain about ranged tanks, my vote go towards a certain adorable little bounty hunter follower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

M_Sinistrari posted:

As far as personality goes, she's a neither here nor there with me since like others she gives me a Jack 2.0 vibe with a touch of Morrigan-esque dissapprove rates. Going into performance of role, compared to others in the basic tank role, her and Corso Riggs consistently handle much worse compared to Khem Val or Bowdaar. First thing anyone brings up when I've said they suck is 'are they geared right?', and yes, I did at first think maybe it was a matter of gearing so I made sure they were geared proper, but still, the ranged tanks performed badly compared to the others even when the range tanks were geared and the others not. Second I figured maybe it was power utilization, so I played around with that to not really much of a difference. I even gave both a huge batch of prezzies to accommodate the possibility of companion favour vs companion job performance.

In comparison to the other companions, both Malavai and Mako have worked out to be excellent healers barring a moment of glitch or lag. Vette and whatever that astromech droid is have been solid dps performers. The Jedi Consular's first companion and the cat guy for the trooper I guess are okay in their roles but since I haven't played mine much to really evaluate, I'm going with how often they die during assorted fights and nothing's been particularly standoutish.

If we factor in character personality, I'd put Corso as worse than Kaliyo but overall, I'd happily drop either of them for a different companion character.

My only reference point was the bounty hunter companion I mentioned (gently caress the other BH tank), compared to which Kaliyo fares admirably. I've been rolling with the IA healer because I've maxed out Kaliyo's affection, and it's certainly been a calmer but slower affair. I'm pretty much never at risk of dying (or dipping below 75% health), but with Kaliyo fights were snappier and more exciting, if occasionally riskier.

• Locked thread