Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012
TREMULUUUUUUS.

Oh man this is pretty interesting. I never actually played Call of Cthulu back in the day and I backed this just because Lovecraft + ApocWorld was relevant to my interests.

Wondering if I can recruit some of the local VtM LARPers into a one-shot game for Halloween.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Yeah, I'm half way through the rulebook now, and its looking very interesting. I wonder when the first PBP game will start here.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
I am kind of thinking it would not be all that hard to do a lazy conversion of a call of cthluhu scenario/campaign to tremulus. If other people do not think the idea totally crazy, I might toss it around in my head a little more.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Oh yeah, I forgot about this thread.

For those of you who weren't tremulus backers, the devs said it's okay to distribute the core playbooks out and about.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Yeah, I think a CoC campaign could be run fairly well, you just need the story. The only thing to watch out for is that Tremulous has several rules that make player interaction cannon, which may break larger campaigns.

Also screw it, I've finished the rule book, I'm starting a PBP thread for anyone who is interested.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3512461

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Yeah, reviewing my books I think it should translate with no effort at all, in theory, anyway. I'll probably want to get a bit more familiar with the game though, but, fortunately, you've provided an opportunity!

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
So maybe the people in here can figure it out. When browsing Tremulus I noticed a discrepancy in the Dilettante's attributes. I posted this question in the recruit, but I thought it would probably be better to ask here. So which stats are right for the Dilettante?

The list from the book for Dilettante:
Attributes
Choose one set:
•Reason: +1, Passion: +1, Might: -1, Luck +2, Affinity: 0
•Reason: -1, Passion: +2, Might: 0, Luck: +1, Affinity: +1
•Reason: +2, Passion: -1, Might: 0, Luck: 0, Affinity: +2
•Reason: 0, Passion: +1, Might: +1, Luck: +2, Affinity: -1

And from the Playbook:
Choose one set
» Reason +1 Passion -1 Might +2 Luck 0 Affinity +1
» Reason +2 Passion +1 Might -1 Luck -1 Affinity +2
» Reason +2 Passion -1 Might 0 Luck 0 Affinity +2
» Reason +2 Passion +2 Might +1 Luck -1 Affinity -1

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

The Rulebook says something about all the stats adding up to 3 - so the Rulebook ones seem right.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
The Dilletante and Doctor playbook attributes are identical, so I'd guess it's a typo and the Rulebook is the correct one.

Also it would be a bit weird for the Bertie Wooster class to disallow a Reason score below 1.

\/You're right, I was just looking at the Reason section\/

Splicer fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Oct 18, 2012

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Are they? I didn't see any identical stats for Doctor and Dilettante. Although being able to have a low reason does seem like a good reason to go for the rulebook version.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Oh man, going by the dogpile on that thread I might just give it a couple days and take a swing at it. Everything's new enough that if I cock something up hopefully people will be forgiving.

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

bored before I even began
Ugh, the playbooks just make me angry that I missed the Kickstarter.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

neongrey posted:

Oh man, going by the dogpile on that thread I might just give it a couple days and take a swing at it. Everything's new enough that if I cock something up hopefully people will be forgiving.
Dibs on the dilettante!

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Backers of tremulous should check your emails again, there has been a slight update.

I really like that they kept the *world art style, even if they're edited photos.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Given that I missed the kick starter, is there any legit way to purchase a copy of the PDF from the tremulus dudes at this point?

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

BlackIronHeart posted:

One thing that's gotten me interested in CoC is actually RPPR. Goon clockworkjoe runs the joint and they've got a whole shitload of CoC actual play podcasts here if you want to listen some games before giving them a shot. Bryson Springs is particularly hilarious and creepy and you can get the scenario for free over at https://www.hebanongames.com.

I have to second listening to Bryson Springs on RPPR, it is by far their best episode. Great mix of characters, role playing, and it wraps up wonderfully. After this episode, Delta Green: Lover in the Ice is also excellent.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!
Generally speaking, any RPPR Cthulhu game that has Caleb as the GM and Aaron playing is pretty much gold as Aaron makes incredibly insane decisions. Caleb alluded in the 'Before the Ice' podcast, which is the prelude to Lover in the Ice, that Aaron's PC decided to navigate the Amazon jungle alone while blind. Can't wait to hear that one.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?

BlackIronHeart posted:

Generally speaking, any RPPR Cthulhu game that has Caleb as the GM and Aaron playing is pretty much gold as Aaron makes incredibly insane decisions. Caleb alluded in the 'Before the Ice' podcast, which is the prelude to Lover in the Ice, that Aaron's PC decided to navigate the Amazon jungle alone while blind. Can't wait to hear that one.

Caleb just ran a one shot for Halloween featuring this guy: http://hebanongames.com/traveller/ and Aaron was a player in it. We also got trick or treaters during the game.

It will be in the Base Raiders AP preview episodes.

ack
Mar 16, 2007
ack ack ack ack
A review/critique of tremulus http://rpggeek.com/thread/879471/how-does-cthulhu-stack-up-in-the-pantheon-of-apoca

I don't agree with some of it (you don't need to have so many questions in a playset, making it as fine grained as you want), but some of the things he mention might be a deal breaker for others.

Permotriassic
May 29, 2007

Feed me and tell me I'm pretty
I'm a little confused as to what his complaints are about the playbooks. He called them 'too mechanical', but really they didn't seem any more so than the AW playbooks. I mean other than the 'when you roll for x replace it with y' moves, I could point to pretty much any move and say 'Yeah, that should happen in the fiction'. My favorite is the Journalist's move 'Locks are suggestions': It makes me think of Karl Kolchak sneaking into someplace to get the scoop, only to be attacked by a hideous thing from beyond.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

We did a CoC campaign a couple of years back, running through all of Shadows of Yog-Sothoth. I had the distinct honor of being the only PC to survive from start to finish. He was a paranoid rear end in a top hat who panicked every time it was appropriate to panic, but was never rude to eldritch horrors (at least not those with the capacity to communicate) unless they were rude to him first. :chord:

So, someday I want to run this. Is there a synopsis anywhere for "Beyond the Mountains of Madness"? While I hear that adventure is incredibly huge, the original story is one of my favorites, and I want to scavenge ideas from the module.

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012
tremulus sent out another update today for backers.

waqii
Jun 9, 2006

How much did I drink last night?
Would this thread be a good place to post ideas and thoughts about your own threadworks for tremulus?
I'm not sure about the official forums and the posting quality of them. Could be cool to throw out a couple of ideas on how to get good scares and stuff too.

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012
I'm waiting for the playset with the explorer and the merc to come out so I can go Joseph Conrad on people, myself.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

waqii posted:

Would this thread be a good place to post ideas and thoughts about your own threadworks for tremulus?
I'm not sure about the official forums and the posting quality of them. Could be cool to throw out a couple of ideas on how to get good scares and stuff too.

tremulous talk is definitely within the scope of the thread, and it's probably one of the coolest things going on in C'thulhu games right now. There's also room for horror games that don't have their own thread (Kult, Chill, Dread, um... ) but I didn't want to exclude Arkham Horror or the LCG.

waqii
Jun 9, 2006

Okay then, here goes:

I am thinking on basing the mystery around a lake (landscape, furnace) that lies next to a small town. Recently around 3-4 people have disappeared from the town, one of which has been witnessed slowly walking into the lake, fully dressed, never to be seen again. The police are busy with "more important" matters, and have pretty much given up on any kind if investigation, thinking the lost people have either run off, or committed suicide.
Faint, sickly yellow lights can sometimes be seen coming from the lakes core, and people have started to avoid the lake, scared of what might be going on underneath the surface.

An amateur sorcerer (elder, dictator and the linchpin of this adventure) somehow has been able to contact something from another plane of existence and has managed to open up a portal to this mysterious being at the deepest part of the lake.
Bargaining for powerful artifacts with this strange being, the sorcerer is now influencing weak willed people through the power of dreams to get out of bed, leave their house and walk into the lake. The lake then devours them, sucking them into the vortex at the bottom of the lake.

Being sick of the police forces inability to deal with what is really going on, an old acquaintance of one (or several) of the investigators has asked for help, knowing that they have seen and experienced unusual things like this before. He will ask the players to come to town for a little while to see if they can figure something out about the mystery of the lake, and maybe even figure out a way to stop more people from killing themselves by drowning.

That is the base idea and setup for the plot. I have also jotted down a couple of things such as hazards etc.

Threat 1 - The sorcerer. Elder, dictator.
The (currently not named) antagonist is bargaining for powerful artifacts from the "thing" on the bottom of the lake. In return, he is sacrificing people to it.
I want to make this guy a bit of a power hungry lunatic that has started to get way too involved with the lake entity. He will try to satiate its hunger by getting more and more people killed, but will eventually fall victim himself when the entity has gained enough power. If confronted by the players, he might even outright confess to what he has done, only to get brutally murdered by...

Threat 2 - The thing in the lake - Landscape, furnace.
The entity on the other side of the portal in the lake is a mysterious vortex-like being from another world. Having being called to earth by the sorcerer it is currently growing in power, by devouring everything it can get its "hands" on. No fishes live in the lake anymore, and all other lake dwellers have either been devoured or have fled.
Growing in power and hunger, it will continue to "bargain" with the sorcerer, that is until it grows powerful enough to take care of the matter itself.
When the sorcerer has been taken out of action, either by the investigators or by something much worse, it will leave the people-people to...

Threat 3 - The Guardian - guardian/sadomasochist, weird.
This is a creature spawned by the thing in the lake. It starts off by simply guarding the bottom most part of the lake from curious investigators (glug, glug, glug) but given enough time and progress it will replace the role of the sorcerer, and will be the thing that is now supplying the lake entity with bodies to devour.
While the sorcerer uses spells to hypnotize people into walking into the lake, the creature will use other, more physical methods. People will get dragged into the lake, kicking and screaming.

There is still a bunch of things to figure out; what will happen if the lake dweller reaches its fullest capacity? What does the guardian look, sound and smell like? Is the sorcerer alone, or has he got people working for him, making the investigators lives even harder? Who is the person who contacts the investigators, and what are his true motives? If given enough time, will the entire town get swallowed by the lake and what then?

I know it's quite a lot to read and all of it isn't fleshed out yet, but I do think there is something there that can provide a scary and challenging adventure.
What do you guys think?

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

waqii posted:

Okay then, here goes:

AWESOOOOOOOOOOOOME

A couple of years ago the boyfriend was running a CoC game and asked me which Mythos god would be most appealing to the Nazis. I suggested Nyarlathotep because he's the only one who goes out of his way to gently caress with humanity, but he didn't seem satisfied with that. The game is long over, but the question recently occurred to me again and I'd like to hear some more answers. Thanks!

waqii
Jun 9, 2006

Pththya-lyi posted:

AWESOOOOOOOOOOOOME

Why, thank you!

I have also started to think about some creepy poo poo that can happen to the players and the npc's around them.

1. A woman is found wandering the town in the morning, soaking wet and delerious.
She is questioned, but she won't be able to tell the police anything other than "That murky, cold water... it, it calls to me... " and similar stuff like that.
If the PCs succeed in convincing her that they can be trusted, she will begin to calm down enough to retell her last memories before going temporarily insane.
Her story will be about waking up in the middle of the night in waist high, ice cold water. She also remembers seeing a man walking before her, deeper into the lake.
She tries to stop him, and to snap him out of his hypnotized-like state, but when he snaps out of it, something will reach out from the depth and begin pulling him down.
The last thing she remembers is [something loosely describing features of the guardian] and then running, crying and laughing to herself.
Having recalled these suppressed memories will throw her into another fit of madness, and she will attack the PCs, until either they or someone on the police force can subdue her.

Also - has anyone read this, and if yes, is it any good?
http://thievesoftime.bigcartel.com/product/stealing-cthulhu

waqii fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Nov 12, 2012

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

This seems like the appropriate place to post this. The guys at Miskatonic River Press are teaming up with Jeffrey Thomas to develop a Call of Cthulhu setting sourcebook for his Punktown universe. Here's the Kickstarter page.

For those that haven't read any Punktown stories (sadly, I imagine that's most of you), the easiest way to describe the setting is CoC meets Phillip K. Dick's sci-fi/cyberpunk stuff (Do Androids Dream..., Total Recall, Minority Report, etc.). It's hard to narrow it down any more than that because Thomas uses Punktown to write all sorts of stories, not just Mythos stuff.

ack
Mar 16, 2007
ack ack ack ack

Ornamented Death posted:

This seems like the appropriate place to post this. The guys at Miskatonic River Press are teaming up with Jeffrey Thomas to develop a Call of Cthulhu setting sourcebook for his Punktown universe. Here's the Kickstarter page.

For those that haven't read any Punktown stories (sadly, I imagine that's most of you), the easiest way to describe the setting is CoC meets Phillip K. Dick's sci-fi/cyberpunk stuff (Do Androids Dream..., Total Recall, Minority Report, etc.). It's hard to narrow it down any more than that because Thomas uses Punktown to write all sorts of stories, not just Mythos stuff.

I don't get separate book only and book+pdf pledges.

Stealing Cthulhu is good. It talks mythos and how to mix them up.

waqii
Jun 9, 2006

ack posted:

Stealing Cthulhu is good. It talks mythos and how to mix them up.

You're right, it's a really good read. I'm really looking forward to trying out the pacing advice on some unlucky friends of mine.

Also - how many players are "enough" for an adventure to make it really scary? Like, I don't want too many, since that would make them rely on each other too much maybe... I want them to feel isolated, alone and helpless!

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Have you considered giving the sorceror some mundane allies? Humans actually make much better antagonists in CoC because they are more recognisable. It's the uncanny valley effect: a monster eating someone's face is scary, a human eating someone's face is terrifying.

Maybe the sorc has cut a deal with some of the local toughs: he indoctrinated the gang leader into his messed-up cult and is promising them ultimate power when he ascends. In return they're providing him with a supply of victims for the monster and threatening witnesses into not going to the police.

Then you have far more complex and interesting avenues of investigation for the players, especially if they're smart enough to try playing one side off against the other. It also means the descent from 'everything is normal' to 'HOLY poo poo OLD ONES' is smoother.

waqii
Jun 9, 2006

Whybird posted:

Framework feedback
Good ideas for sure! I'll have another go at writing something more in line with a "typical" framework.
Although, having read "Stealing Cthulhu" I have stepped back a bit from the Sorcerer/Cult leader -idea for a remote lake cult that the rest of the people living in the small village fears.
The PCs will arrive in town to be avoided by most of the people living there. If they ask questions about the cult or anything related, they will be ignored or told to "stay clear of the dangerous people that are rumored to do wicked things by that drat lake."
I'm contemplating going for a more improvised approach for the whole thing, having a few things thought out that will come into play if the situation allows for it.

I have a few ideas for nightmares, mysterious visions, shadows moving unnaturally when near the lake and chanting/drumming getting louder and louder the closer the PCs get to them. The actual "thing in the lake" will most likely be a dark, smoke covered old being, with boulbous, sickly features. It'll also probably emit a piping, nauseating sound, that both calls for and repels the PCs.
Roll a couple of sanity checks while also acting under fire while running screaming out of the dark woods, wake up delirious in a hospital bed to find out that the lake never existed in the first place.
Credits.

I'm sure I can weave in the whole monster>sorcerer>thugs>townie victims -chain though, which will also make finding out more about the cult a bit less tedious, and more easy for the PCs.
They could see/hear people getting threatened, get contacted by someone who is worried about a kidnapped family member etc, instead of only reading through press clippings and old records to find out about the towns old, dark past.

waqii fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Nov 21, 2012

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
How do you keep Cthulhu elements relevant in a game where the setting is decidedly non-traditional and the players are beginning to have actual power? Now, they do not have really anything in the way of supernatural toughness, so it is not like I think they are invincible, but most of the fun-terror of Cthulhu comes from knowing you are basically helpless and that nobody will believe you even if you try to explain to the world how much danger they are in. WELL ...

I ran a Cthulhu(ish) campaign for about six months, and it culminated in the cultists essentially winning; specifically Gary Gygax faked his own death and led a global network of gaming elite in their efforts to elevate Tsathoggua to ruler of the Earth to usher in a glorious era of sloth and decadence and real-life gaming scenarios.

So, the party is now in what is essentially post-apocalyptic Earth, though the planet is divided into various regions treated as personal fiefdoms by the leaders of the cabal (though the party did very dramatically kill Gary Gygax using the scepter and crown from the Tomb of Horrors that served as a proving ground for new recruits into his army), and sort of ala Torg each area has significant practical differences from the others, though unlike Torg it is not a guarantee that each area will have its own issues with physics/technology/magic not working/working better/et cetera.

The point is, now much of the world is abundantly aware of supernatural things, and indeed many are now accepted as normal (shambling dead people are killed by cooking and eating them, for example), how do you keep things remotely scary? There are plenty of more powerful things out there, and always will be, but the unknown element is harder to work with once so much is just known. I can only pull so many "but HERE they worship AN EVEN SCARIER THING and IT IS STILL ALL REALLY HAPPENING!" scenarios before any amount of depravity becomes mundane.

I dunno. It is possible no-one will have any suggestions for me since everyone knows Cthulhu campaigns are supposed to end when the world ends, and I appreciate that. But, you know. People in this subforum are endlessly creative geniuses, too.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Quarex, you might check out the upthread-mentioned The Esoterrorists, as what you're describing is almost a particularly weird endgame for that setting.

JDCorley
Jun 28, 2004

Elminster don't surf

Pope Guilty posted:

Quarex, you might check out the upthread-mentioned The Esoterrorists, as what you're describing is almost a particularly weird endgame for that setting.

Ditto. I actually thought this was an Esoterrorists AP. Two other sources:

1) Over The Edge has a ludicrous scenario where the characters discover they are characters in a roleplaying game and get to meet the players.

2) I would consider having just a complete mindfuck of an ending as in a David Lynch movie. So watch Mulholland Drive and Eraserhead a few times and see what comes of it.

ack
Mar 16, 2007
ack ack ack ack

Pope Guilty posted:

Also try The Apocalypse Machine. It's a Cthulhu Apocalypse handbook for ToC, by Graham Walmsley and covers both just after the apocalypse and earth ruined a while ago games.

edited: linkage

ack fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Nov 26, 2012

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Huh, thanks, Pope Guilty/JDCorley/Ack. That is great, as I sort of wondered if something from this thread that I was unfamiliar with was going to end up being a great thing to look into. Esoterrorists does sound like a much catchier name for my campaign idea than anything I came up with in the first place.

Also funny because I apparently have a bookmark to the Apocalypse Machine, so obviously I wanted to buy that book at some point, and forgot all about it. Apparently I also thought Night's Black Agents looked promising, though looking into it now it definitely would have been more appropriate for the pre-apocalypse section of the game (which was only supposed to go like three-four games, but they got so into it that it went twelve).

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Now that I'm done making wedding arrangements and Christmas is nearly done, I had some time to see about getting into the next round of 7e playtesting! Unfortunately, we were too late to get in.

It's not all bad news, though, because I found some 1920s mugshots today. Tougher mugs are hard to find.

E: Follow up article with women's mugshot photos, they weren't all flappers.

moths fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Dec 21, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KamikazeJim
Sep 15, 2006

oh fuck are you seeing this bomb man. ARE YOU SEEING THIS?
OP is missing a few other goofy games from Steve Jackson Games, Cthulhu Dice (a casual dice game about stealing everyone's sanity), Chez Cthulhu, the obligatory Cthulhu themed game in the Chez Geek series, and The Stars are Right. Also, in Illuminati, one of the factions is the Servants of Cthulhu.

You can also order The Most Goddamn Adorable Cthulhu Plush Ever Made from them.