Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rainy day
Jul 20, 2009

by Ralp

Atlatl posted:

I think they might need to start screening the entries.

This needs to win
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCJDyArHb9I

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Latte Lottie
Oct 6, 2011

Getting 1st place is impossible...

Yodzilla posted:

Can't you just create unlimited free Steam accounts?

People that upload and vote need a a non-limited steam account(they need to own a game that costs money).

nerdbot posted:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=92941144&searchtext= Steam Greenlight drinking game: take a shot for every Minecraft/Terraria clone

That would mean I'd have to look at them, I think I'd just start drinking in order to go blind.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

:wtc: This is beyond ridiculous:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=92958591&searchtext=

quote:

Team members At the Moment:
Concept Artist (Me)
Game Artwork

Spots needed:
Programmers (At Least 2)
Game Artwork
And maybe another concept artist we'll see :)

Oh hey guys I want to make a game but I have no team yet. I guess it's time to upload to Greenlight! Also the ideas guy spot is occupied already sorry!

Something tells me that idiot with his kickstarter MMO is coming to Greenlight soon.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
I thought that they were going to separate finished games from concept and under-development games. Kind of disappointed as my own project is in a really early development phase and looks underwhelming as a result.

Palpek posted:

Oh hey guys I want to make a game but I have no team yet. I guess it's time to upload to Greenlight! Also the ideas guy spot is occupied already sorry!

Well the Greenlight FAQ did say you can post your game concept, though I agree that with absolutely nothing concrete done, it's dumb as hell.

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

Has just the right cheesy factor to make it a classic.

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

Palpek posted:

Something tells me that idiot with his kickstarter MMO is coming to Greenlight soon.

It's going to be like Mincraft, but not!

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Palpek posted:

The only person on the team is a "concept artist" and yet there isn't even any concept art. Unless concept artist is a new pretentious name for "ideas guy" which in this case I'm sure it is.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
Well at least this one got taken down before I could get the screenshot uploaded.

HAIL LORD ZLATAN
Jan 2, 2011

Please unironically vote for Oniken

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Atlatl posted:

Well at least this one got taken down before I could get the screenshot uploaded.

I don't know if you're mad about the penis drawing or someone stealing IWTBTG.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Palpek posted:

Report it. One of the ToS is having a working game build.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?

Deki posted:

I don't know if you're mad about the penis drawing or someone stealing IWTBTG.

I was just commenting on the fact that some poor dude at Steam is busy frantically deleting a lot of submissions.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Saoshyant posted:

Current Highlights

Kinetic Void - something about spaceships and Kinect(?). Never heard of it :rolleyes:

wtf is this?
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3482187

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Hey, finally a sequel to Fight Club on the PS2!

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Ahahaha, I skimmed the game list in the OP and totally missed that.

I can't help but wonder if you guys wouldn't have been better off going with a name that couldn't be misread as "kinect".

:suicide:

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

He's just poking some fun at you.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

A "joke"

Wendell
May 11, 2003

A w-w-w-what?!

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

One form or another.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Deki posted:

I thought that they were going to separate finished games from concept and under-development games. Kind of disappointed as my own project is in a really early development phase and looks underwhelming as a result.

Well the Greenlight FAQ did say you can post your game concept, though I agree that with absolutely nothing concrete done, it's dumb as hell.

They really need to split submissions up between finished and under-development. I really don't understand why Greenlight would even accept underdevelopment games, isn't one of the big parts of Greenlight (outside of getting games out in the public) to allow users to vote them to being part of Steam's distribution service? Having people vote on under-development games makes no sense since a game could be accepted by sheer number of votes before being finished and then either 1) not meet development promises, 2) turn out to be a complete flop, 3) not even finish or any number of things. Even if they do separate finished and under-development games into separate sections, they should take away the voting mechanic for non-finished games. Or hell, make a separate community structure for games in development that allows developers to have their page directly linked to Greenlight once they have a finished product and meet all of Greenlight's requirements.

MrTargetPractice
Mar 17, 2004

As an indie developer I am both delighted and concerned at the quality of some of this stuff. Delighted because it makes our game look amazing and concerned that Green Light will turn into some big joke. It already feels like you have to dig through a mountain of poo poo to find anything good. Hopefully once they figure out voting awful things can take care of themselves.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

I'm really curious what Greenlight will look like a month from now, two months from now. Obviously its full of garbage right now because its new and exciting, but that'll have to die down somewhat. Sure you'll still have tons of iOS ports coming still, but I doubt there will be very many people randomly browsing to upvote them. I'm sure a lot of traffic will be from popular message boards or organized community pushes.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

MrTargetPractice posted:

As an indie developer I am both delighted and concerned at the quality of some of this stuff. Delighted because it makes our game look amazing and concerned that Green Light will turn into some big joke. It already feels like you have to dig through a mountain of poo poo to find anything good. Hopefully once they figure out voting awful things can take care of themselves.

I really think they should do what Kickstarter does, and have some poor idiots sit and verify that the greenlight games are at least legit at first glance before posting them publically.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Oh look guys actually a neat idea appeared. Indie Royale collection was added:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=92956413

quote:

This collection includes all Greenlight games previously featured in Indie Royale bundles that are not yet on Steam. Please consider supporting their creators by voting them up.
This is very cool.

sharts
Jul 3, 2008

a̸ ̕s̡cŗeam͟i͠ng͞ ͘sk͏u̢l̨l i̡s y͝o͡ųr o͡n͟l͞y ͢comp̛ani̡o͞n͝
Buck & Miles has got some real pretty pixel art and like 50 votes, give it a lookover!

Also I noticed that Octodad reached 1% of the required positive ratings after it hit 1000 votes, so I guess the vote bars are working as intended after all?

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=92962680&searchtext=

Miner Wars 2081. Definitely worth a vote because it's like an online version of Descent.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Al! posted:

He's just poking some fun at you.

Who ever said I had a sense of humor? :P

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Enzer posted:

They really need to split submissions up between finished and under-development.

Terms of service clearly state that you have to have a working build, it's just they're not actually following it up. It's also fairly apparent that there's no stick for the carrot; the moment they start banning workshop accounts for spamming obvious fakes and jokes, it should calm down.

Keep reporting the obvious ones, though.

Zeether posted:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=92962680&searchtext=

Miner Wars 2081. Definitely worth a vote because it's like an online version of Descent.

I think they're releasing 'arenas' before the full game, which is been in development for as long as gamersgate has existed. Smells quite vapourwary, but I'll vote for it because it does look pretty good.

Hav fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Aug 30, 2012

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe
edit is not post

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Palpek posted:

This is very cool.

It will be if it gets me keys for those games I bought through them, so I won't have to buy them later just "to have on Steam".

ToxicFrog posted:

Ahahaha, I skimmed the game list in the OP and totally missed that.

Oi! I'm putting effort into making a brief description on each game featured. Don't skip it.

Zenith Nadir posted:

Also I noticed that Octodad reached 1% of the required positive ratings after it hit 1000 votes, so I guess the vote bars are working as intended after all?

That can't be right. If 1000 votes is only 1%, it's going to take a huge amount of grassrooting to get any game on Steam.

e: ah, I see now. 1) it doesn't have 1000 votes, but 1000 favorites, which is a different thing, meaning it has several more votes than favorites, 2) it says "1% calculated ratings", not that it's 99% away from reaching its goal

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Aug 30, 2012

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

AxeManiac posted:

Hey, finally a sequel to Fight Club on the PS2!

It reminds me a lot of every fighting game on the Jaguar.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I see a serious hole in the Collection system. Basically I can edit the contents/description/graphics of a collection at any time. This means that theoretically I could rack up a huge amount of upvotes/postitive comments and then exchange the games for different ones.

There should really be at least a point after which you can't change the games list anymore.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Seems to me you can vote on collections and, at the same time, the individual games inside them, so I don't know if they work as a straight thing where upvoting the collection upvotes every game in it.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Hav posted:

I think they're releasing 'arenas' before the full game, which is been in development for as long as gamersgate has existed. Smells quite vapourwary, but I'll vote for it because it does look pretty good.

They released a fairly big demo recently (like, about two weeks ago) with the first campaign mission. Vaporware it ain't.

So, it's fairly clear by this point that people aren't meant to be discovering new games via Greenlight. They've deliberately kept sorting options or 'sort by highest rated' off the page. It means that new stuff WILL always be at the top, and that if you want your game to get enough votes, you need to get some grass-roots marketing done.

Valve aren't providing advertising space here. This is a bare-bones, crowdsourced system to help them find exactly what games have the most commercial viability, and to help sort through the mountains of crap.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008
Holy poo poo World of Resources guys is a turd. I'm legitimately trying to help him out by saying he should close his submission since he doesn't even meet the requirements of:

*A square branding image (similar to a box cover) to represent your game in lists and search
*At least 1 video showing off your game or presenting your concept
*At least 4 screenshots or images

And only has a halfhearted attempt at filling this requirement:
*A written description of the game along with tentative system requirements

Mostly what it seems he is doing to trying to recruit people to build his game for him. Been trying to give him advice to go close his page, get some actual work done and then when he can actually obey the submission form, come back, but he has been taking it as me being angry and hostile. Submitted a report, but I don't think I worded the reason very well.

--Edit--
And just like that, it is gone! :v:

grimdarkkrieg
May 12, 2009

MrTargetPractice posted:

It's new, it'll calm down. Probably the best thing to do as an indie dev at this point is to wait a bit until you submit, get the flood out of the way, unless you have some following already.

Also, whatever Greenlight is, it's not going to replace marketing.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

grimdarkkrieg posted:

Also, whatever Greenlight is, it's not going to replace marketing.

This bears repeating. Greenlight was never meant to be a marketing tool. It's what you point people to AFTER they like your marketing pitch, not before. You do the marketing externally, then use Greenlight to effectively fast-pitch the game to a powerful distributor.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

Kayin found the IWBTG submission and is fruitlessly trying to convince the OP to take it down.

How is it that people are confused as to what Greenlight is for? It's not for suggesting games you'd like to see on Steam, its for developers. Is it really that tough?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Aww Valve deleted Supra Mayro Kratt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWFL-3PbV5U

• Locked thread