Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

What I'm wondering is if we'll get a new willowtree. I plan to play through plenty running straight up and fair, but I also had a ton of fun making ridiculously overpowered guns like my shotgun that fired a 20 rocket spread per use of 1 ammo or my sniper rifle that shot four bullets with perfect accuracy for like 5k damage each.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Profanity
Aug 26, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Delaio posted:

Yes, you get some stuff! And someone on this page of the other Borderlands 2 thread posted a save file. Default directory is C:/Documents/My Games/Borderlands/savedata
Uh, thanks for a link to that post with the save file, but their public dropbox area also has a video of someone passionately wanking.

Delaio
Jul 14, 2012

Profanity posted:

Uh, thanks for a link to that post with the save file, but their public dropbox area also has a video of someone passionately wanking.

Haha, oh man. That wasn't there when I got the save file. I'll edit it out, I'm sure you can find them by just googling.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
here's a dropbox link to my borderlands saves, I think one's a low 60's siren and one's a low 60's hunter. I assure you there are no masturbation videos

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/30404256/Save0001.sav
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/30404256/Save0002.sav

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Redjakk posted:

They said at the PAX Gearbox panel that Knoxx was their benchmark for all the future DLC but that they didn't have anything set in stone as of yet. Mike Neumann put out a suggestion to the crowd of "Scooter's Scooter Racing - With Scooter!" that got an overwhelmingly positive response and an embarrassed Randy Pitchford hung his head and said that he guessed he'd have to go with 4 DLCs + Scooter Racing.

Thanks for this, added to OP. also Scooter's Scooter racing sounds awesome.

Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP
So I joined the steam group chat and there is no one there :(

Also anybody know what happens if I gently caress up and don't give myself the season pass as a gift and just bought it outright?

EDIT: Looked away and apparently I'm a member now, hooray!

Blackmage Yapo fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Sep 11, 2012

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

If it lets you buy the pass outright you should be okay. When it was released it wasn't letting people though because the preorder is a different app Id than te actual game.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

TheSpiritFox posted:

What I'm wondering is if we'll get a new willowtree. I plan to play through plenty running straight up and fair, but I also had a ton of fun making ridiculously overpowered guns like my shotgun that fired a 20 rocket spread per use of 1 ammo or my sniper rifle that shot four bullets with perfect accuracy for like 5k damage each.
:tipshat: Put in for a preorder earlier today.

(though I'm not the creator of willowtree, I did make my own save editor for the first game)

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Hacked weapons ruins like 70% of the fun of Borderlands :(

Save/quest/level modding is useful once you've played the game to death though.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

So is this going to be a game that plays better with a controller, or mouse/keyboard? So far most shooter ports I've played have performed far better with a 360 controller.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Depends what you're used to. As at as gameplay was concerned there was nothing wrong with BL1s M/KB support, and BL2 looks to have even more features like acceleration control etc.

Personally I can't play any game which requires 1st or 3rd person aiming with a pad. So inaccurate.

And in BL you do spend a lot of time trying to aim at small critical spots on enemies so better accuracy is kinda important.

Finger
Sep 10, 2001

E N O U G H !

TheSpiritFox posted:

I don't know if it'll be another Willowtree, but I can pretty easily imagine people wanting to do the same kind of editing, especially since there's such a wider range of guns in BL2.

I also really, *really* hope that Gearbox created a way to digitally "sign" each gun it makes when stored in savegames so that the game knows when someone uses a modified gun. Probably won't be able to stop duping of existing guns, but the hacked ones should be detectable. And if they do that, I'd love it if in the multiplayer options, there was a way to set some option that auto-kicks (auto-leaves-game?) anyone with a modified gun.

Sounds like a lot of work, but hey, it's a lot LESS work than creating your own Battle.net-style online infrastructure for your game to run on top of. And from what I hear with the console versions of BL1 and the relative ease of adding hacked guns over there, all of this could be pretty usable on the console platforms, too.

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me.
I think they did eventually patch Borderlands to do something of the sort like that. Certain illegal component combinations still got by, and you could make legitimate guns, but the most ridiculous ones just got caught by the game and deleted automatically.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Metrohunter posted:

I think they did eventually patch Borderlands to do something of the sort like that. Certain illegal component combinations still got by, and you could make legitimate guns, but the most ridiculous ones just got caught by the game and deleted automatically.

It's really, really disappointing because you can't make anything that's actually interesting anymore.

Used to, you could put six barrels on a gun. Why? I dunno. Anarchy anarchy anarchy anarchy bitch anarchy isn't just a 90s song anymore. :v:

Now, parts are restricted by both manufacturer and gun type.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
Games Master UK: 95/100
"Bigger. Ballsier. Bullet-ier. Borderlands 2 is the antidote to stuffy military shooters. Even statistically poor weapons are fun to handle. Underlying physics of each weapon have been massively improved - guns feel like they used to in Doom and Unreal. Trading gear is better. Gearbox have learnt how to turn off the brown palette in Microsoft Paint, leading to BL2 being the prettiest game of 2012 to date. Increased verticality of the world. More varied missions. Even better humour. Improved story. 30+ hours main quest. A truly epic game once sidequests/playthroughs/badass ranks/loot has been taken into account. Bonus (optional) objectives to missions and multiple outcomes. Solo play and co-op markedly improved (with more populated environments and more seamless co-op.)"

Game Informer: 9.75/10
"Instead of taking the easy route, the studio has taken everything that impressed in the original and greatly enhanced it. From major bullet points like the story to smaller details like the UI and inventory system. Borderlands 2 surpassed my expectations and stands as a prime example of how to knock a sequel out of the park. Throughout the game, the dialogue and clever missions display a sense of humor on par with the best in the industry. All of the improvements would make for a standout title even if it were constricted to single-player. Considering Gearbox has continued to put this franchise in a league of its own when it comes to co-op, it elevates the game to something more. With its unmatched co-op gameplay, intense shootouts, addictive loot-collecting, expansive skill customization, hilarious dialogue, and insane level of replayability, Borderlands 2 is one of the most rewarding gaming experiences of this console generation."

gently caress Yes

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.
I wonder at which point game journalism will use ratings like 9.9975 / 10 for AAA titles and have the lowest scores it ever assigns (for utters turds of games) be like 8.0 / 10. The scale has certainly been shifting towards that for a couple of years now.

(For the record, I have no doubt that the game's gonna be great but I just don't see the point in major game magazine's rating scores or even reviews anymore)

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Ratings will become more and more some function of advertising dollars spent averaged with actual game quality. Don't worry, lovely games with no money behind them will still score 3s and 4s all day long. Big-money shitfests from big-name studios however, will continue to score better and better.

Devorum posted:

So is this going to be a game that plays better with a controller, or mouse/keyboard? So far most shooter ports I've played have performed far better with a 360 controller.

It should play better with KB+M this time around. They've added an FoV and mouse acceleration slider, so you can turn mouse acceleration completely off and make the FoV as wide as you want.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Sep 11, 2012

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Since when was low FOV a problem with mouse support?

Also, Gameinformer got the announcement exclusive, there's no way they'd give anything but a high score. Gaming journalism. :haw:

Then again I'm a raving fanboy who thinks the game deserves that score :v:

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

AirRaid posted:

Since when was low FOV a problem with mouse support?

Most people who use KB+M setups tend to sit closer to their screens because they're at a desk, so an FoV slider would be relevant to the discussion because it implies desktop setups are fully supported and catered to.

Maybe I should have said Borderlands 2 is just as suited to "traditional" KB+M desk setups as it is to traditional comfy-couch and controller setups!

Edit: And while we're talking about standard-of-living improvements, I'd like to just say how absolutely thrilled I am that there's no head bobbing effect at all with the camera in this game. The player's perspective is literally a smoothly floating camera with a gun-and-arms model on the lower right portion of the screen and I cannot begin to express how happy I am about that.

Every game that comes out these days tries to do some kind of head bob thing with the camera and every set of developers that codes this has absolutely no drat clue how to do it right and the game ends up looking like the Blair Witch Project because of it.

Thank you, Gearbox, for knowing how not to gently caress up your entire game with the inclusion of one lovely-but-popular feature.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Sep 11, 2012

Belan
May 7, 2007
So here's a thing: http://www.borderlands2.com/loveletter/

weapey
Jun 11, 2003

stomp stomp stomp
Newbie questions here.

1. Can I play this solo if I want and still have a shitton of fun?
2. What happens if I want to play with a buddy who's say 20 levels above/below me?
3. I presume I can just find randoms to play with (like L4D)

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

weapey posted:

Newbie questions here.

1. Can I play this solo if I want and still have a shitton of fun?
2. What happens if I want to play with a buddy who's say 20 levels above/below me?
3. I presume I can just find randoms to play with (like L4D)

1) This is kind of divisive. Personally I have a lot of fun playing Borderlands solo, but when you play co-op the game feels a lot more dynamic and intense as it ups the enemy count to an absurd degree and finding and sharing cool loot always feels more rewarding with your friends around. In solo play (Having played the majority of the game in co-op) the world can feel kind of lonely, but the actual gameplay is solid enough to keep you entertained.

2) They'll do extreme damage if they're high level or barely any if they're lower, and if they're further ahead in the game than you, you won't be eligible to get their quest rewards (And vice versa). However it's not so bad that it'll ruin your experience and as far as I know you get the same amount of XP you'd get if he was of equal level to you.

3) I think this is the case, if someone's hosting you'll be able to join their game. Just watch out for hacked games that might ruin your save.

The good news is Borderlands 2 is fixing all of the problems outlined here, but you'll still have a fun time playing Borderlands 1 for your first time. It's a pretty unique game.

weapey
Jun 11, 2003

stomp stomp stomp

Songbearer posted:

awesome reply

Thanks for your reply. How specifically are they fixing 2) for the sequel?

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

This is pretty great.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Yodzilla posted:

This is pretty great.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Wow that's... creepily endearing and actually kind of getting me hyped. For some reason built in push to talk is really exciting.

Can someone clarify the co op for me? The single player is your own single player, and it's independent from multiplayer? So you play multiplayer, and then go back offline and it's exactly where you left off? And how does the co op work? You get a friends list with "so and so is playing and he is your bud" and then you click the join button and you're playing with them, or do you have to make a group and do invites? I only ever played about an hour of side by side co op of borderlands on an Xbox (e: I HAVE BEEN ANGRILY INFORMED IT WAS A PS3) 4 years ago or whenever.

Badfinger fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Sep 11, 2012

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

weapey posted:

In Borderlands 2, players won't be hamstrung if they're further ahead or behind in the story than other players.

If a player has an active quest, all players will be able to do the quest whether or not they've obtained it it yet and will recieve appropiate rewards, which means you don't have to host your own game if you want your friends to help you with a quest they've completed: You can just go back and do it again. This also means you can go forward in the story and do quests you've not reached yet.

I don't think they've changed how damage scales so you may still have a rough time of it if you're not leveled appropiately, but having friends power you through the lower level content will help you get up to speed.

Badfinger posted:

Can someone clarify the co op for me? The single player is your own single player, and it's independent from multiplayer? So you play multiplayer, and then go back offline and it's exactly where you left off? And how does the co op work? You get a friends list with "so and so is playing and he is your bud" and then you click the join button and you're playing with them, or do you have to make a group and do invites? I only ever played about an hour of side by side co op of borderlands on an Xbox 4 years ago or whenever.

Single player ties into Multiplayer and vice versa, so if you started the game with your friends and got to the 2nd zone, you could go offline and resume playing from the 2nd zone and onwards.

Borderlands 1 PC uses Gamespy for its co-op (*spit*) so you can start by making a group and then all joining at once, or inviting them mid-session. I'm pretty sure you can join them from an open lobby but I don't think there's a password system, it's either a private game that uses invites or completely open. Gamespy is gnarly as gently caress though so you'll probably want to smash your monitor open and eat the delicious insides before all's said and done, BL2 using STEAM is a loving godsend.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

weapey posted:

Now, if you join someone ahead of you in the story, you can still complete quests and get credit and rewards and XP and everything they have to offer. When you go back to playing your own game or whatever and you reach the advanced parts you completed already, it'll give you the option to skip past the stuff you've done, or just plow through it again. It's unclear if you get unique quest rewards twice doing it this way, but it's a HELL of an improvement over BL1s "INELIGIBLE. :colbert:"

Badfinger: You can join someone's game as long as it's public (or be invited to a private game) pretty easily. Game uses Native matchmaking on all 3 platforms (so, XBL, PSN, Steam (STEAMWORKS :dance:), so it'll be nice and smooth. Your progress is on your character's save file, which can be used online, offline, or Juggled between both.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

gibbed posted:

:tipshat: Put in for a preorder earlier today.

(though I'm not the creator of willowtree, I did make my own save editor for the first game)

Gibbed you are the Everdraed of the games forum.

Metrohunter posted:

Yeah it's probably going to be the same with multi. If you want to hack in the best version of a gun that can be made you can do that, but if you throw on a magazine from an assault rifle and a barrel from a shotgun onto a pistol your gun gets deleted.

TheSpiritFox fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Sep 11, 2012

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

Sorry doublepost

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

TheSpiritFox posted:

Gibbed you are the Everdraed of the games forum.

Yeah it's probably going to be the same with multi. If you want to hack in the best version of a gun that can be made you can do that, but if you throw on a magazine from an assault rifle and a barrel from a shotgun onto a pistol your gun gets deleted.

Would that kind of stuff work in single player for the first game? Because that seems really awesome.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

Genocyber posted:

Would that kind of stuff work in single player for the first game? Because that seems really awesome.

Yeah single player doesn't check your guns at all, I'm pretty sure they didn't change that, last time I loaded up I still had my rocket launcher with 7 carnage barrels that shot a 40 something round burst of triple rockets in 3 seconds.

I can't check for you though cause I uninstalled borderlands ages ago, all I've got left is my save files.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

A lot of BL1 modded guns no longer work, but a lot of stuff still does. It's all about experimentation nowadays. I know Zylche made a shield that made you literally invincible a while back.

Still. Modded stuff sucks. :colbert: It's fun for 5 minutes and then it's dull dull dull.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Burning Mustache posted:

I wonder at which point game journalism will use ratings like 9.9975 / 10 for AAA titles and have the lowest scores it ever assigns (for utters turds of games) be like 8.0 / 10. The scale has certainly been shifting towards that for a couple of years now.

(For the record, I have no doubt that the game's gonna be great but I just don't see the point in major game magazine's rating scores or even reviews anymore)

Game Informer uses pretty much the entire scale, for what it's worth. I've seen perfect 10 ratings all the way down to ... 2?

Usually the really shittily rated games are in their "here's a stack of two-sentence reviews" in the back of the magazine, but they've dumped on some games in their full page reviews, too. I havn't found their reviews too outlandish*, although their previews are as super-positive as anyone else's.

* - I don't play sports games, so I can't comment on the accuracy of review scores for those.

Zurai fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Sep 11, 2012

LobsterTick
Jul 11, 2011

"We did something this year that was not based on animosity."
Anyone knows if there's any regional lockout for multiplayer? I preordered the game from my local retailer and want to know if I'll be able to play co-op with goons.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

LobsterTick posted:

Anyone knows if there's any regional lockout for multiplayer? I preordered the game from my local retailer and want to know if I'll be able to play co-op with goons.
Don't see why there would be... There was nothing like that in the first one. What region are you in?

LobsterTick
Jul 11, 2011

"We did something this year that was not based on animosity."

AirRaid posted:

Don't see why there would be... There was nothing like that in the first one. What region are you in?

Russia. The retailer in question sells cheap-rear end region locked boxes(serously, if there's a good thing about my country, that's cheap videogames). I know it probably has no effect on multiplayer, but I wanted to be 100% sure.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Ah, yeah I know some games have separate regions in russia for MP but I'm pretty sure you'll be ok with BL2.

Henry Black
Jun 27, 2004

If she's not making this face, you're not doing it right.
Fun Shoe
Any UK goons want to mainline this on Friday/over the weekend with me? I have no plans for it, but I'm busy all the next week with uni stuff and I don't want the temptation being there. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vakal
May 11, 2008
The live action commercial for Borderlands 2 that has started to show on TV is the right amount of impressive and cheesy.

• Locked thread