Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Holy Cheese
Dec 6, 2006

Profanity posted:

Uh, thanks for a link to that post with the save file, but their public dropbox area also has a video of someone passionately wanking.

Dunno about anyone else but when I wank it is with sadness and regret.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Vakal posted:

The live action commercial for Borderlands 2 that has started to show on TV is the right amount of impressive and cheesy.

I found it on Youtube, but I can't find a good quality version of it! In the year 2012, you would think someone out there would have recorded it with a video capture device or card. Instead I can only find people pointing a cell phone at their t.v.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Vakal posted:

The live action commercial for Borderlands 2 that has started to show on TV is the right amount of impressive and cheesy.

I though the commercial was rather crap. At least compared to the official trailers.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

All this hype is making me sad that I will have to wait an extra week until the 25 to pick up my preorder.
Sad and very anxious.

Holy Cheese
Dec 6, 2006

qnqnx posted:

All this hype is making me sad that I will have to wait an extra week until the 25 to pick up my preorder.
Sad and very anxious.

It's going to be more of the same. Don't get anxious about it.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

I said come in! posted:

I found it on Youtube, but I can't find a good quality version of it! In the year 2012, you would think someone out there would have recorded it with a video capture device or card. Instead I can only find people pointing a cell phone at their t.v.

Because the copyright-detection bots would automatically flag it and have it taken down if the rip was decent. Welcome to modern copyright laws :suicide:

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Holy Cheese posted:

It's going to be more of the same. Don't get anxious about it.

You're ignoring the fact that "More of the same, but better" is what people want and expect from Borderlands 2 :v:

Dementedghost
Jan 7, 2010

Running 1.86 miles without dying is literally impossible

404GoonNotFound posted:

Because the copyright-detection bots would automatically flag it and have it taken down if the rip was decent. Welcome to modern copyright laws :suicide:

When will fancy suit people realize that TV is pretty much obsolete?

I have to say I'm actually excited to play all 5 of the classes this time around, in BL1 I had no interest in playing any of the characters except Lilith (phase shift was awesome). This time around nothing is as cool as phase shift but they all seem actually interesting.

Holy Cheese
Dec 6, 2006

Songbearer posted:

You're ignoring the fact that "More of the same, but better" is what people want and expect from Borderlands 2 :v:

I'm not ignoring that, just sayin'

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

404GoonNotFound posted:

That's true, I didnt think of that. But you would think advertising would be fair game. Completely crazy.

Starhawk
Mar 28, 2003

I am leaking dangerous cargo.
Why in god's name would anybody REMOVE an advertisement from somewhere. Agencies pay millions of dollars for X number of eyeballs on an ad. Youtube is free.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Starhawk posted:

Why in god's name would anybody REMOVE an advertisement from somewhere. Agencies pay millions of dollars for X number of eyeballs on an ad. Youtube is free.

The bots don't care, licensed content is licensed content.

Fun Fact: The official Hugo Awards broadcast on Ustream last week got taken down in the middle of an acceptance speech because the bots detected licensed content... in the nominee clips provided by the actual production companies. THE SYSTEM WORKS :pseudo:

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

How well would Borderlands 1s' performance reflect your machine's ability to run 2?

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Fart Car '97 posted:

How well would Borderlands 1s' performance reflect your machine's ability to run 2?

I assume that if your computer can handle the first game, you shouldn't have any problems with the second. They have to port the game to 5 year-old consoles, after all. Also, I'm sure that since they're serious about making the PC Port decent that there will be plenty of settings to play with.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Borderlands 1 wasn't system demanding at all, so I can't imagine there being any issues with this game.

XarsonX
Oct 24, 2003

Phage love
I hope that nvidia physx stuff is actually in the game, not just some tech demo.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

I said come in! posted:

Borderlands 1 wasn't system demanding at all, so I can't imagine there being any issues with this game.

BL1 was Unreal 2.5, this is the much more demanding Unreal 3. But U3 does scale to low end systems fairly well, so you should be fine unless your computer is older than 2007.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

DoctorStrangelove posted:

BL1 was Unreal 2.5, this is the much more demanding Unreal 3. But U3 does scale to low end systems fairly well, so you should be fine unless your computer is older than 2007.

Pretty sure BL1 was UE3. It came out well after UT3, and basically everything since and a little before that was UE3

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

XarsonX posted:

I hope that nvidia physx stuff is actually in the game, not just some tech demo.

I don't see why it wouldn't. Other games like the Batmans have offered similar neat but optional PhysX stuff for hardware that supports it.

Valen
Oct 1, 2009

XarsonX posted:

I have to imagine it will be, since nvidia is giving away copies of the game with their newer video cards.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
According to the Gearbox forums, sometimes when Zero turns on Deception he says "You just activated my trap card!"

This game. :allears:

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Are there any good hacks available that can enable physx on ati cards?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

According to Wikipedia the first game runs on Unreal Engine 3

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

GreatGreen posted:

Are there any good hacks available that can enable physx on ati cards?

Physx actually requires specialized hardware to function, it's not just a ati/nvidia check. Nvidia cards have onboard physx chips.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Daedalus1134 posted:

Physx actually requires specialized hardware to function, it's not just a ati/nvidia check. Nvidia cards have onboard physx chips.

Really? Why should it? It's just a lot of physics calculations and maybe extra shader and textures. Just because it's marketed with its own fancy name shouldn't mean it takes some special kind of magic that can't be handled by some combination of your normal CPU and GPU.

I mean, does dynamic lighting need it's own specialized hardware unit to run? Parallax mapping? The Euphoria engine, which combines pre-rendered animations seamlessly blended with naturally occurring physics? No? But they're special, segmentable parts of graphics performance that were implemented after the traditional, simple geometry+textures 3D graphics. And if that's the case, then why should extra physics calculations in a game that already supports other physics 3rd party software like Havok?

Seems to me that "dedicated hardware" that's specially designed to support physx is just a bunch of marketing mumbo jumbo driven by corporate, anti-consumer greed. If anything, I could see artificially programming limitations into the software to prevent people from utilizing physx, but hardware is so powerful these days that I really can't believe physx "needs" specialized hardware that does something our normal stuff can't.

edit: by the way, I'm not yelling at you in particular, but I've heard this argument a few times and it just doesn't add up to me.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Sep 13, 2012

XarsonX
Oct 24, 2003

Phage love

Yodzilla posted:

I don't see why it wouldn't. Other games like the Batmans have offered similar neat but optional PhysX stuff for hardware that supports it.

You are right, I have just never played a physx enabled game on the PC. I didn't want to get my hopes up for nothing because I think it looks pretty cool.

GreatGreen posted:

Really? Why should it? It's just a lot of physics calculations and maybe extra shader and textures. Just because it's marketed with its own fancy name shouldn't mean it takes some special kind of magic that can't be handled by some combination of your normal CPU and GPU.

I mean, does dynamic lighting need it's own specialized hardware unit to run? Parallax mapping? The Euphoria engine, which combines pre-rendered animations with naturally occurring physics? No? But they're special, segmentable parts of graphics performance that were implemented after the traditional, simple geometry+textures 3D graphics. And if that's the case, then why should extra physics calculations in a game that already supports other physics 3rd party software like Havok?
Physx actually used to be a standalone card that you would install in the computer. Then nvidia bought them and incorporated their stuff into nvidia video cards. I'm not sure if it is all code or if the card has a pysical chip used for nothing but physx, but I think it is a bit more complicated than stuff like Havok.

XarsonX fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Sep 13, 2012

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Zer0 used the HaloDuke. That technology is the only reason Randy finished DNF.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
Here is something I have not heard about yet, and was hoping someone who has better followed the game could tell me.

Does Borderlands 2 still have the awful level scaling of the original Borderlands? Used to be, that anything + or - 5 levels of the player would either be impossible, or completely irrelevant. It made progression tedious, and it was an enormous issue for players to figure out what was the "correct" sequence through the DLC in order to avoid a situation where they would find themselves in situation what was, again, either impossible or irrelevant. Also didn't do much of anything for coop, since you could also be in a situation where BOTH players could literally find no fun, albeit for different reasons.

Game is still gonna own, and I'm pre-ordering+season pass come payday. I'd just like to get this major disappointment out of the way so as soon as the game unlocks (read: 17 hours of downloading later) I can immediately jump into the game and enjoy it simply for what it is.

vvv From what I understand, Eridian weapons are entirely unique, and otherwise entirely absent. Instead they exist and function more like weapons upgrades in a modification system using "E-tech" or Eridian-tech.

Kiggles fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Sep 13, 2012

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
I almost forgot, has anyone mentioned if Eridian Weapons are still going to be total dogshit? I hated how crummy most of them were.

Aqua_D
Feb 12, 2011

Sometimes, a man just needs to get his Rock off.

JoshVanValkenburg posted:

I almost forgot, has anyone mentioned if Eridian Weapons are still going to be total dogshit? I hated how crummy most of them were.

I don't think it's been definitively stated that they'll be in the game at all, has it?

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

GreatGreen posted:

Seems to me that "dedicated hardware" that's specially designed to support physx is just a bunch of marketing mumbo jumbo driven by corporate, anti-consumer greed. If anything, I could see artificially programming limitations into the software to prevent people from utilizing physx, but hardware is so powerful these days that I really can't believe physx "needs" specialized hardware that does something our normal stuff can't.

What you need is massive amounts of computations. What onboard Nvidia hardware uses are called CUDA cores, which are massively parallel chips, which modern Nvidia cards have plenty of on board. (I'm using a 660 TI, which has 1344 CUDA cores on it)

There is no reason ATI couldn't make an equivalent type of programmable core array, but as Nvidia bought out Physx, it's not likely to be cross supported anyway.

I can't really make a good comparison remotely, but if you want to try Fluidmark it gives you the ability to run the benchmark on CPU instead of Physx. Using the 720 benchmark, I got ~25 fps on CPU, and ~150 on Physx.

Aenslaed
Mar 29, 2004
Nonfactor

GreatGreen posted:

Physx is a software package using the CUDA language (nvidia proprietary). It would only work for ATi if nVidia converted Physx to support an open source GPU compute language such as OpenCL or if ATi licensed and implemented CUDA in a future generation card. Its really the same as why windows won't run natively on a smartphone, because Microsoft hadn't written it to run on anything but x86. Third option is if someone wrote a wrapper for ati, which is probably beyond what a community will do for free for such an under utilized feature.

GreatGreen posted:

I mean, does dynamic lighting need it's own specialized hardware unit to run? Parallax mapping? The Euphoria engine, which combines pre-rendered animations seamlessly blended with naturally occurring physics? No? But they're special, segmentable parts of graphics performance that were implemented after the traditional, simple geometry+textures 3D graphics. And if that's the case, then why should extra physics calculations in a game that already supports other physics 3rd party software like Havok?

If you remember back in the day with Voodoo, TNT2 and Rage, its really the same thing before OpenGL/DirectX. It will stay this way till nvidia and ati choose on a standard for GPU computing (like OpenCL) and agree to cross license their software or Intel/Havoc decide to make the tech free/super cheap cost.

Aenslaed fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Sep 13, 2012

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Demitri Omni posted:

I don't think it's been definitively stated that they'll be in the game at all, has it?

They will be weird versions of the normal weapon types. So, a crazy beam pistol will work with pistol skills and class mods.

Aqua_D
Feb 12, 2011

Sometimes, a man just needs to get his Rock off.

Serious Frolicking posted:

They will be weird versions of the normal weapon types. So, a crazy beam pistol will work with pistol skills and class mods.

Well, yeah, I know what they are. I just know how many people hated them in the first game, and didn't know if they were going to actually improve them, or just take them out completely in lieu of the newer concepts and weapon brands. I hadn't heard anything about them at all.

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

Demitri Omni posted:

Well, yeah, I know what they are. I just know how many people hated them in the first game, and didn't know if they were going to actually improve them, or just take them out completely in lieu of the newer concepts and weapon brands. I hadn't heard anything about them at all.

Since they're now integrated into weapon categories instead of being their own (very) special discipline, they'll at least be worthwhile to bother looking at.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」
Because of Amazon's tin foil hattery loving up all my preorders I've lost my ultimate loot chest preorder that I've had since May. All I got was a "we're sorry" and that's about it. So gently caress them I'm just going to get this on Steam since there's no way to get any of the collectors sets anymore at retail cost. Anyone have a 4 pack with two copies available that they're looking to sell?

Edit: Apparently one of my many emails/calls to Amazon actually paid off and they were able to reinstate my preorder just now. Praise Pandora. Still looking for 1 copy of the game though.

Revolver Bunker fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Sep 13, 2012

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance
I'm also looking to be part of a 4-pack on Steam since I don't trust GMG on releasing their keys on time. If it helps, I can set it up and folks can just pay me on PayPal.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Sighence posted:

Since they're now integrated into weapon categories instead of being their own (very) special discipline, they'll at least be worthwhile to bother looking at.

Eridian weapons weren't available til near the end of the first playthrough, their behavior and damage were wildly uneven, they never became common enough that you could regularly upgrade, no class mods or skills improved them, and the weapon proficiency system encouraged using two types of weapons at most. There was really no reason to ever use eridian weapons in bl1, even though they were some of the craziest weapons in a game built around crazy weapons.

My point is, it'll be nice to have weird energy weapons that are actually worth using.

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
Your dad's in the Russian Mafia, that's the jumpoff!

JoshVanValkenburg posted:

I remember the answer to this from a video that I can't find. The companies took all the Eridian stuff and integrated it into their weapons, which are now E-Tech weapons. So, the example I remember is something like a shotgun that shoots darts that do stuff, and a sniper rifle that acts like a railgun, and I remember seeing an assault rifle that shot grenade type rounds. However, this is all from my memory, so I could easily be wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Serious Frolicking posted:

Eridian weapons weren't available til near the end of the first playthrough, their behavior and damage were wildly uneven, they never became common enough that you could regularly upgrade, no class mods or skills improved them

Shock damage class mods affected them. Shock Trooper (soldier) and Tempest (siren) could boost them by 40-50% damage. Couple that with a Thunder Storm (the only one really worth using, to be fair) and you could absolutely wreck poo poo. And it had the best sound effects for any gun in the game.

Really looking forward to the Crazy E-tech stuff though.

AirRaid fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Sep 13, 2012

• Locked thread