Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kaustik
Jun 1, 2008

Deakul posted:

Oh snap, does this do anything to drop rates at all or do I still need to use the hacky cheat engine thing?

No but it makes all the guns viable and buffs dead talents which helps with the power curve. I also haven't managed to get cheat engine to work with the Community Patch and haven't check in awhile if anyone else managed it.

I'm halfway through TVHM with my friends and it's definitely a superior experience to vanilla but I really miss the drops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Deakul posted:

Oh snap, does this do anything to drop rates at all or do I still need to use the hacky cheat engine thing?

Didn't Gearbox boost the drop rates in the vanilla game some time ago? At least, last time I played I didn't feel the need to use cheat engine.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
They did boost the drop rates. Some people are happy with that, others want to go a step further.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I think the rates are fine in uvhm now, but the first playthrough remains boring.

I'm playing a fresh character now, and have to say I don't miss having to care about money one bit (a single OP item transfered between characters will set you for life. As long as you don't die too much anyway).

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Rinkles posted:

the first playthrough remains boring.

But the larger contributing factor is how slowly the skills are rolled out.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

God, is the music in TPS a major step down from 2.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Am I the only guy who uses Gibbed's editor to play B2? Things are a whole lot more enjoyable as Gaige with an Infinity pistol.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

CommissarMega posted:

Am I the only guy who uses Gibbed's editor to play B2? Things are a whole lot more enjoyable as Gaige with an Infinity pistol.

I played through the game without it once, on release, but afterwards I always used Gibbed's editor to keep my favourite guns leveled, try new items, copied character data etc. It's why playing the series on console is not an option for me (just like playing Bethesda RPGs without access to PC mods and the dev console is).

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years
Found out last night why me and a friend stopped playing TPS awhile ago. We logged into our level 52 characters into UVHM and got killed over and over. We entered a room that had like 4 ultimate badasses that would 1 or 2 shot us with full health+shields, and they were also level 52.

It kinda sucked :|

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Danith posted:

Found out last night why me and a friend stopped playing TPS awhile ago. We logged into our level 52 characters into UVHM and got killed over and over. We entered a room that had like 4 ultimate badasses that would 1 or 2 shot us with full health+shields, and they were also level 52.

It kinda sucked :|

This is my entire experience of BL2/TPS past about 45, and why I just don't play past that point.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I had a lot of fun taking characters to 50 in BL2 and playing around at that level, but they were mostly anarchists which are relatively OP next to most of the other builds in the game, and it still always felt like I was barely skirting the line between full health/shields and being health gated in one attack. Fit the anarchist playstyle but really didn’t feel good on the other characters/builds I tried. The balance really got out of line toward the end of TVHM but still barely held together as something sane and enjoyable, and I even enjoyed farming oranges at that level. But it couldn’t have gone on any further since the balance got quadratically worse with each level.

Then they added UVHM and not only let the balance get quadratically worse for another 11 levels, but also quadrupled every enemy’s health on top of that :bravo: That was what convinced me that most of gearbox’s best work happened by accident.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Digirat posted:

Then they added UVHM and not only let the balance get quadratically worse for another 11 levels, but also quadrupled every enemy’s health on top of that :bravo: That was what convinced me that most of gearbox’s best work happened by accident.

Don't forget that UVHM also added health regen to every enemy! Because gently caress you, that's why.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
At the highest levels, BL2 is balanced around health gating. You absolutely must have a way to recover at least half your health, at any time, repeatably. Fortunately, your health pool is so small relative to the damage you're dealing that a Moxxi weapon is sufficient for most characters.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Pope Guilty posted:

This is my entire experience of BL2/TPS past about 45, and why I just don't play past that point.

For me much of the first playthrough is the roughest, because your gear sucks and you have few skills. TVHM is an inflection point (imo) as the number of skills and their synergies eclipse the bump in difficult. And then with UVHM things get harder again, but I think manageably so. You have to play smarter, you have to invest more in survivability, and you will have to grind for gear sometimes.

I enjoy it, though I get why others wouldn't. I was reluctant to give it a try myself after reading posts like some of those above mine.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Solumin posted:

At the highest levels, BL2 is balanced around health gating. You absolutely must have a way to recover at least half your health, at any time, repeatably. Fortunately, your health pool is so small relative to the damage you're dealing that a Moxxi weapon is sufficient for most characters.

The game absolutely should teach you this. It's a crucial survival mechanic.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Solumin posted:

maybe they should build lifesteal into the game then, instead of making it something you can only get on very specific guns or fairly deep on only like one third of the skill trees in the game

naaaaaaah

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
You could just play Krieg and spit in the face of danger.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

maybe they should build lifesteal into the game then, instead of making it something you can only get on very specific guns or fairly deep on only like one third of the skill trees in the game

naaaaaaah

In uvhm the skill tree issue really isn't a valid complaint. I try not to use them (I don't with Maya), but I would've liked if moxxxi weapons were less rare.

I hope they add some form of defensive ability in BL3, to make things a little more tactical.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Fanatical has the GOTY edition for $8.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Rinkles posted:

I hope they add some form of EXPLOSION ability in BL3, to make things a little more EXPLOSIVE

I FIXED YOUR IDEA :torgue: :torgue: :torgue:

Also yeah not teaching you that health gating is a thing is really bad, and being forced to rely on Moxxi weapons is also bad design.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

The White Dragon posted:

naaaaaaah

It's real dumb that they got rid of a lot of the self-healing skills that characters had in 1 at the same time as making healing so much more important.

Everything also does so much damage so quickly that transfusion grenades are kind of useless.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Minor thing I appreciate about TPS, because I'm a scrub, is that the SCAV air bubbles make the crit spots big and easy to discern.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

In the parlance of the game: Wilhelm's Vengeance Cannon feels bahd-rear end.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
You know, despite me really enjoying the Borderlands gameplay loop, BL2 has got to have the largest variety of enemies specifically designed to be annoying I have ever seen in a game. Stalkers, certain loaders, varkids, rakks, skags and goddamn threshers are all painfully unfun to fight at times.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Arcsquad12 posted:

You know, despite me really enjoying the Borderlands gameplay loop, BL2 has got to have the largest variety of enemies specifically designed to be annoying I have ever seen in a game. Stalkers, certain loaders, varkids, rakks, skags and goddamn threshers are all painfully unfun to fight at times.

:argh: SKELETON SEERS :argh:

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Also enemies that can steal from you (there has NEVER been a game where enemies stealing from you was a good idea).

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

How about literally any enemy with a rocket launcher

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I'm digging the speed strats for BL1.

https://www.speedrun.com/bl1/run/zgn5l9dy

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So I'm building up my Siren with a raw damage build, but I was wondering if it would be a good idea to swap out Ward for Kinetic Reflection? If I got Kinetic Reflection with a class mod I feel like I'd probably survive longer than I would with a faster shield recharge.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Jesus Hammerlock's DLC loving sucks, doesn't it? Nakayama is fun, but this is like everything wrong about Borderlands 1 that was fixed in BL2 suddenly crammed back into BL2. Huge maps with poor level design, bullet sponge bosses with one hit KO AOE attacks, and those goddamn witch doctors. It even has loving Drifters.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Yup! It really is as bad as everyone says. I did it on Normal with my UVHM character and it was still a drag.

Just hack in all the loot you want.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
just started playing TPS for the first time. Running the community mod but is there a discord or somethin?

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

Arcsquad12 posted:

Jesus Hammerlock's DLC loving sucks, doesn't it? Nakayama is fun, but this is like everything wrong about Borderlands 1 that was fixed in BL2 suddenly crammed back into BL2. Huge maps with poor level design, bullet sponge bosses with one hit KO AOE attacks, and those goddamn witch doctors. It even has loving Drifters.

There is exactly one good thing about Hammerlock's DLC: Just how few fucks Hammerlock or the main characters care about the villain's plot. It's like every time he starts trying to go off on some villainous rant or gloating spree or something, they're all just like, "Whatever dude, we just want to kill monsters for a while." They're not even really annoyed, they sincerely just do not care about him at all.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Solumin posted:

Yup! It really is as bad as everyone says. I did it on Normal with my UVHM character and it was still a drag.

Just hack in all the loot you want.

I did that, too, and thought it actually made it tolerable. Being way overpowered made the enemies manageable, although it did little to cut through the amount of walking simulator the level design ended up being.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
Going through it completly overleveled at least makes the villian's monologue relevant, at level his panic attacks about how easily you're breaking all his stuff comes across as sarcasm from the devs when you keep getting dropped into FFYL and the only things around are two witch doctors that keep healing and leveling each other up.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
Oh I almost forgot about the fact that some enemies are immune to slag in the difficulty mode that's predicated on the assumption you'll be slagging everything.

I don't think I ever finished Hammerlock. I farmed up a few Rough Riders and called it good.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I did enjoy the Werner Herzog fellow but Arizona was the worst bullet sponge I have ever seen

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Have the drop rates been increased over the years? I picked up BL2 for a UVHM playthrough with my buddies and I'm actually getting Legendaries without having to farm for them first.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Arcsquad12 posted:

I did enjoy the Werner Herzog fellow but Arizona was the worst bullet sponge I have ever seen

The best thing about Arizona is that after all that effort and erridium, it's unique drop is the most under-powered type of gun made by the manufacturer that has two of its three parts bugged to do nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
More than anything the game world for hammerlock just feels unfinished. It's a lot of recycled assets and an ugly green filter, and I think it has exactly one new music track. The hoverboat is also garbage.

Scarlett's DLC also felt rushed in places like the Rustyards and some of the sidequests, but at least they were balanced and the sand skiff is really fun with the harpoon gun. It's probably my favorite DLC to play even if it isn't the funniest one.

• Locked thread