Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Planning on tackling a 4p coop session of this next week, other than the loot mod to raise drop rates, anything else we should do/know/care about, or dive in and shoot poo poo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

watho posted:

Not to be a negative Nancy or anything but even Bandit ARs are effective killing machines during the first playthrough as long as they're at your level. The things you should focus on is keep changing up your gear and do the side quests because it just sounds like you're underleveled and have low-level gear.

The more you level your equipment in Gibbed the better the game is.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

edit/wrong thread

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

The more you level your equipment in Gibbed the better the game is.

I'm not saying that that's a stupid opinion.

I'm implying it.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

watho posted:

I'm not saying that that's a stupid opinion.

I'm implying it.

Hmm yes well it turns out that you can actually use any leveled gun in base game because base game isn't a grindfest. Meanwhile the new game+ and new game++ become progressively shittier experiences without farmed equipment, a thing which is itself lovely to get.

Or you can level your guns (although at a certain point it becomes DPUH level or nothing) and not have a vice attached to your balls for the entire game as it artificially extends out its playtime by making you poopsock a particular section in a game that's not even an MMO so why the gently caress am I doing this

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I've never used cheat engine or gibbed and had no problem with true vault hunter mode, I don't think it's really required there but I did usually stick to anarchy which is kind of overpowered.

Never touching ultimate slag hunter mode again though. gently caress that and whoever thought "quadruple every enemy's HP across the board" was good design. Did an intern come up with that?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Yeah, TVHM really isn't bad at all. In fact, I'd say that normal mode is boring as poo poo and I dislike the fact that I have to sleepwalk through the entire game once per character just to be able to inject some sort of challenge into the game.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I wish I didn't play UVHM because it burned me. TVHM has the right "challenge" feel since slag isn't required as long as your gear is decent enough.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Yeah, TVHM really isn't bad at all. In fact, I'd say that normal mode is boring as poo poo and I dislike the fact that I have to sleepwalk through the entire game once per character just to be able to inject some sort of challenge into the game.

Somewhere in the dumb mess of an OP is a zip file with savefiles for"blank" level 32 characters at the start of TVHM with basic gear, if you wanted to skip Normal.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Hmm yes well it turns out that you can actually use any leveled gun in base game because base game isn't a grindfest. Meanwhile the new game+ and new game++ become progressively shittier experiences without farmed equipment, a thing which is itself lovely to get.

Or you can level your guns (although at a certain point it becomes DPUH level or nothing) and not have a vice attached to your balls for the entire game as it artificially extends out its playtime by making you poopsock a particular section in a game that's not even an MMO so why the gently caress am I doing this

First of all: lmao

Second of all: we're talking about the base game, dingus!

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

AirRaid posted:

Somewhere in the dumb mess of an OP is a zip file with savefiles for"blank" level 32 characters at the start of TVHM with basic gear, if you wanted to skip Normal.

Right here.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

It's funny because it's my google drive.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Started playing the Pre-Sequel after the sale. Is there anything I should know or do, is there a cheat table people use, etc.?

Lady Morgaga
Aug 27, 2012

by Smythe
If there is same thing for Pre-Sequel characters I will appreciate it.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

theshim posted:

Started playing the Pre-Sequel after the sale. Is there anything I should know or do, is there a cheat table people use, etc.?

To be honest, I've found the loot to be pretty good in TPS. Not in the same way BL1 was, of course, where there was a legendary Item of the Day half the time, but that the greens, blues and quest rewards were good enough. (It helps that the legendaries are generally boring, at least to me.) Loot tables might make it more fun, but they aren't necessarily like they were in BL2. Caveat: I haven't played UVHM in TPS yet.

Lasers are fun and good, though how much use you get out of them depends on your character and play style. Except for Splitters, the laser shotguns, which are complete poo poo. I think it's impossible to actually hit anything with them, except accidentally. The lasers are completely misaligned with the crosshairs. Unfortunately, Splitters make up half the lasers in this game.

Cryo is also fun and good, but can make fights kind of trivial. Just freeze everything that looks like a threat!

The Grinder is pretty awesome, so unlock that as soon as you can -- which is pretty early. There's a bunch of recipes for it, if you want to get more specific loot.

The Claptrap DLC and the DLC Vault Hunters are all very good. If you haven't bought those, you should consider it.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

theshim posted:

There is a Gibbed editor for it, pretty much just like the one for BL2.

http://blog.gib.me/2015/03/23/borderlands-the-pre-sequel-save-editor-revision-33/

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
If anyone is looking to do a new playthrough of BL2,I got the GOTY edition recently and would love to try Mechromancer and play with some people, since playing with pubbies is always kind of weird what with loot not being shared and the quests not necessarily being synced and whatnot. I'd be down for a loot-table modified run starting from either normal or TVHM.

https://steamcommunity.com/id/geektox

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Geektox posted:

If anyone is looking to do a new playthrough of BL2,I got the GOTY edition recently and would love to try Mechromancer and play with some people, since playing with pubbies is always kind of weird what with loot not being shared and the quests not necessarily being synced and whatnot. I'd be down for a loot-table modified run starting from either normal or TVHM.

https://steamcommunity.com/id/geektox

I may actually consider this now that I saw those blank TVHM files. If I can get them running on my Mac I'd be down for a run.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I've been playing BL2 with a buddy of mine, I'm about level 22, he's almost 10 levels behind me, since he just started but has been catching up. If he hosts, obviously the enemies scale to him, which means I can one-shot almost everyone. However, it shows that I get 1 or 2 xp from some of these guys... is XP shared, and if so, does he get more for kills like that, even when I do it? I hope so :ohdear:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
No, XP is on a by-player basis. When you kill an enemy and get 1-2 XP for it, he gets whatever he would normally get at his level. Same for when he kills an enemy.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

CJacobs posted:

No, XP is on a by-player basis. When you kill an enemy and get 1-2 XP for it, he gets whatever he would normally get at his level. Same for when he kills an enemy.

OK, great, but he IS getting xp for stuff I kill, right? I would hate to think that I'm keeping him from leveling as fast as he could be. I doubt that's the case, though, just making sure.

EDIT: vvv Ah, yes, my apologies. I haven't had my caffeine yet today. :negative:

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Jun 29, 2015

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yes, that's what I said. See: second sentence in that post.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Is it normal at level 31-32 in my first playthrough to have certain enemies just basically 2/3 shot me? I've had ~level 30 hyperion snipers basically hit me once and it goes through 3k of shields and about 800 health all at once. Or SGT loaders that somehow just, if a hit (maybe a burst shot) connects, pretty much takes down all my shields. I don't think I have too much damage issues other than when in second wind and the timer just flies away, but is damage output supposed to just spike like that out of nowhere? The last 5 levels seemed a bit more fair for incoming/outgoing damage from enemies at about my level as well but now I'm having survivability issues even when gunzerking.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The scaling gets ridiculous around that point combined with more enemies getting to use snipers and rocket launchers (bad design IMO). There's a point where you end up living or dying by the health gate. TVHM is even worse at that point in the game.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

BL2 is a test of how masochistic your gaming tendencies are. If you're anything like most people, you'll break down and use the cheatengine stuff in the OP to crank up the legendary drop level so you have at least a chance of survival. Otherwise you will spend most of the game flopping in an out of FFYL mode desperately trying to get a kill before you bleed out.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

BobTheJanitor posted:

BL2 is a test of how masochistic your gaming tendencies are. If you're anything like most people, you'll break down and use the cheatengine stuff in the OP to crank up the legendary drop level so you have at least a chance of survival. Otherwise you will spend most of the game flopping in an out of FFYL mode desperately trying to get a kill before you bleed out.

Or you cave in and buy Krieg.

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX

Kikas posted:

Or you cave in and buy Harolds

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Por que no los dos? :buddy:

(seriously though just play krieg)

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Gestalt Intellect posted:

The scaling gets ridiculous around that point combined with more enemies getting to use snipers and rocket launchers (bad design IMO). There's a point where you end up living or dying by the health gate. TVHM is even worse at that point in the game.

And then there's UVHM, where assault rifles and sniper rifles can all safely be considered vendor trash, the scaling gets noticeably worse with each level, you have to re-grind for purp+ rarity gear every level, enemy health regen outpaces even the mightiest of elemental damage over time, and so much more... for no real reason beyond watch a number go up, really. Unless you're playing Krieg, which probably means you're trying to see how trivial you can make gear in a franchise built around the hoarding of gear.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I forced myself through all of UVHM once and won't ever do it again. Except I probably won't go through any other part of it again either, because it absolutely killed my enjoyment of the game. There's a lot of things I love about this game but the incredibly dumb things gearbox does makes it feel like that was just an accident and they really just got lucky.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
How's the Pre-Sequel by the way? It's been out for a while now, didn't hear much about it. Did they fix Eridium not picking itself up? Are the characters fun? Are the drop rates finally fixed?

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

Kikas posted:

How's the Pre-Sequel by the way? It's been out for a while now, didn't hear much about it. Did they fix Eridium not picking itself up? Are the characters fun? Are the drop rates finally fixed?

Personally I found it an improvement in virtually every respect *except* level design. The characters are all fun to play, the grinder makes the drop rates feel less terrible. Eridium isn't a thing anymore, instead it's moonstones or something.

The problem is that the massive degree of backtracking you have to do was already getting under my skin before I'd finished even my first playthrough, a few areas are particularly terrible about it.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
The Pre-Sequel is aggressively mediocre. The characters are well-designed in terms of their abilities, but the plot, characterization, level design, and enemy design are very lackluster. It has occasional moments of brilliance, but feels more like a really well-made mod than a full game.

If you enjoyed BL2, odds are you'll at least moderately enjoy the Pre-Sequel. But it's absolutely nothing special.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I really wish I could play TPS characters and cryo in 2 because I really don't like TPS levels too much.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Father Wendigo posted:

And then there's UVHM, where assault rifles and sniper rifles can all safely be considered vendor trash, the scaling gets noticeably worse with each level, you have to re-grind for purp+ rarity gear every level, enemy health regen outpaces even the mightiest of elemental damage over time, and so much more... for no real reason beyond watch a number go up, really. Unless you're playing Krieg, which probably means you're trying to see how trivial you can make gear in a franchise built around the hoarding of gear.

Father W! Are you by any chance playing this on Steam? :getin:

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I'm one of those masochists who felt compelled to get all the achievements legit and without using any cheats, and didn't use Gibbed until after I did that in BL2.

What made it more reasonable for me was playing the characters at staggered levels, so as one leveled up their best gear got handed down to the next character in terms of level, so that by the time I was on my fifth playthrough I had harvested so much gear that managing the inventory of each character was more of an issue than grinding.

My trailblazer was Maya, and she just wrecked her way through for me. I think Alton was the one I actually had the most problems with at higher levels - he ended up being fragile than Zer0 for me.

That said, this burned out my patience pretty thoroughly, so I started running Gibbed almost immediately in TPS.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Kikas posted:

It's drat good for a budget title! Nice shooting, incredibly superior scaling to 2 (but not 1), better (but still pretty terrible) story and writing, a relatively short vanilla game, a single good to middling campaign DLC, and what is overwhelmingly the worst DLC the franchise has had to date. Great game, but a fraction of the content offered by 1 & 2.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Father W! Are you by any chance playing this on Steam? :getin:
I'm on a shitbox last-gen macbook, Canuck. Do the metric system or whatever the hell you people call it.

Still up for some Perfect Dark, tho! :v:

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Kikas posted:

How's the Pre-Sequel by the way?

I thought it was decent. If you're only going to play through it once I suggest doing it as Claptrap; all the player characters are voiced in this game and I think he, unsurprisingly, gets the best lines.

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX

Father Wendigo posted:

and what is overwhelmingly the worst DLC the franchise has had to date.

Holy crap worse than the underdome?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Not even close.

TPS was really underwhelming folowing BL2 and it's massive campaign of actually very good DLC, but it's not as bad as the hyperbolic goons will make out. Yeah the level design isn't hugely great but there's a lot to like about it, and the new mechanics in there give the BL2 formula enough new paint to be worth a run.

Also it finally introduces a (DLC) character which makes Sniper Rifles an actual good choice.

• Locked thread