Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
Maniacal Laughter is freaking amazing as long as you make sure you're using elemental guns (and why would you not be using an electric or cryo gun, unless you were trying for other-elemental challenges?). You can even double-dip with free explosive damage. ML stacks on every tick of elemental DoT damage, so don't let the small amount each stack heals for fool you - if you ever managed to get a rank 5 ML to max stacks you'd be healing 30% per second. :science:

I've been going down the middle (Best Buds 4 Life?) tree, focusing on making Claptrap basically unkillable. You get 20% damage resistance and ~+50% max health, Maniacal Laughter, when you go into FFYL you get ~+50% duration/fire rate/gun damage, and if (when :unsmigghh:) you get a second wind you get an additional 30% damage resist and some health regeneration. And the skill that causes a free nova that heals you every time your shield goes down is loving amazing.

Then I'm gonna hop over to the Fragmented Fragtrap tree, get the gun/shield subroutines, the skills that make me more dangerous when I get shot, and Blue Shell makes you even tougher/more dangerous in FFYL. Then of course the capstone is even more healing novas.

At that point I think going into the Boomtrap tree is just overkill, but I really like the fact that TPS character can actually grab all three capstones with a skill point left over if you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

So yeah, I go on about Claptrap way too much. Need to put a muzzle on that. :cripes:

Does anyone know if it's possible to edit a profile to flag for the presence of linked-game saves? Even though I have Tales from the Borderlands installed (with a save) and the BL1 saves from earlier in the thread in the right spots, my TPS installation only recognizes my BL2 saves (I get 10 moonstones, a weapon, and a vault hunter skin unlock, but I should be getting 30 moonstones, some badass ranks, and whatever else).

Bonus points if this can be done retroactively since I've, well, already got saves I've been playing for a while...

YET ANOTHER FAG
Mar 6, 2003

by R. Guyovich
I'm looking for a group to do a Level 72 Max OP playthrough of BL2 (& perhaps tPS) on PC. I'm currently working my way through digistruct peak to obtain the OP levels with a level 72 Maya. Obviously fine with people using gibbed &/or CE, as I've been using gibbed to sync my weapons when they start to feel under powered.

Ideally I'd like to play through the main campaign, though would like to start with Mr. Torgues Campaign of Carnage because :torgue:EXPLOSIONS:torgue:

As far as other DLC goes, all I'm missing are the headhunter packs which I've heard are pretty short/unimportant. If there's anybody here interested you can add me on steam: WASD| Generally McBadAtGames

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

I'm interested but I haven't bothered getting up to OP8 yet and my laptop runs the game like poo poo.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
I'll join you, i'm OP3 atm, Digistruct shouldn't be too bad until OP5/6.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
We got to OP4/5 after some embarrassing wipes, and now my OP2 weapons aren't cutting the mustard :sigh:

Maya's acid cloud thing is ridiculous in NVHM, I just wait for the cooldown and use a pistol to apply instantly kill weak enemies

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Maya is the best in general :colbert:

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

orcane posted:

Maya is the best in general :colbert:

I finally gave Maya a serious try (and incidentally, I now blame Axton for my prior BL2 burnout - playing a shootmans in a shootmans game who does nothing but shootmans and occasionally dropping a turret that also shootmans got repetitive) and she really does seem really fun and awesome. Her phaselock skill is up often enough that you really feel like you can integrate into your play, and all her skills that play off/synergize with it seriously change up the basic shooting cycle.

I'm still in the first playthrough with her, and haven't really tried the left and right trees yet (although all the explosions and DoTs and crap in that left tree sound awesome), but her middle tree is pretty ridiculous when it comes to survivability. I think there's something like 4 different healing skills in the tree, and they're all percentage-based. :iia:

e: Is the song/music that plays in the cinematic at the start of a new game (with all the vault hunters on the train) from somewhere or was it composed for the game? It's so drat good, I'm nowhere near my PC and I'm still humming along with it. I really missed the BL2 music while playing TPS.

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Sep 5, 2016

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The song is 'Short Change Hero' by 'The Heavy'. Great song by a great band.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

WarLocke posted:

e: Is the song/music that plays in the cinematic at the start of a new game (with all the vault hunters on the train) from somewhere or was it composed for the game? It's so drat good, I'm nowhere near my PC and I'm still humming along with it. I really missed the BL2 music while playing TPS.

The opening and ending cinematics are "Short Change Hero" and "How Do You Like Me Now" respectively, both by The Heavy. For Borderlands 1, the opening is "Ain't No Rest For The Wicked" by Cage the Elephant and the ending is "No Heaven" by DJ Champion. For the Pre-Sequel, it's "Black Dragon" and "Goodbye" by the Vines for the opening and "What Makes A Good Man?" by The Heavy for the ending.

e:f,b.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

WarLocke posted:

I finally gave Maya a serious try (and incidentally, I now blame Axton for my prior BL2 burnout - playing a shootmans in a shootmans game who does nothing but shootmans and occasionally dropping a turret that also shootmans got repetitive) and she really does seem really fun and awesome. Her phaselock skill is up often enough that you really feel like you can integrate into your play, and all her skills that play off/synergize with it seriously change up the basic shooting cycle.

I'm still in the first playthrough with her, and haven't really tried the left and right trees yet (although all the explosions and DoTs and crap in that left tree sound awesome), but her middle tree is pretty ridiculous when it comes to survivability. I think there's something like 4 different healing skills in the tree, and they're all percentage-based. :iia:

If you think that's good, drop $5 and buy Kreig.

He's really something.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Breetai posted:

If you think that's good, drop $5 and buy Kreig.

He's really something.

Everybody is always saying good things about Krieg, but it almost seems... idunno, wrong(?) to basically ignore all the guns (which is nominally what the game is all about).

watho
Aug 2, 2013

I play him as a shootydude and he's still really good and fun. It sucks that they went back to the Brick style design of all or nothing when it comes to the action skill but a really fun character none the less.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Yeah, and there's a lot of weapons and equipment that he has really, really good synergy with; both in and out of combat.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

WarLocke posted:

Everybody is always saying good things about Krieg, but it almost seems... idunno, wrong(?) to basically ignore all the guns (which is nominally what the game is all about).

I get where you're coming from but Krieg is a really nice change of pace. Of the ~10 playthroughs I've done of BL2, I think TVHM Krieg was the most fun.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

WarLocke posted:

My problem with Axton(and Gaige, to a lesser extent) is that their uniques can pretty much solo entire encounters when you're at lower levels. Drop the turret, turret clears the entire encounter. You can pretty much count on this for most of the first playthrough, in my experience, and even a lot of the second if you get any of the turret buffing abilities. It makes for a boring playthrough.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Khizan posted:

My problem with Axton(and Gaige, to a lesser extent) is that their uniques can pretty much solo entire encounters when you're at lower levels. Drop the turret, turret clears the entire encounter. You can pretty much count on this for most of the first playthrough, in my experience, and even a lot of the second if you get any of the turret buffing abilities. It makes for a boring playthrough.

Nah, with Axton you need to spec into two turrets on UVHM so they can draw aggro so you can blast faces off with your legendaries or suffer a swift and horrible death was my experience. Even on TVHM it felt like my turred died a LOT faster then before. Which is to say, it died at all.
But for the first playthrough? Longbow Nuke turrent and never look back. I've had the luck of hitting lvl 31 for the Nuke just before the second Circle of Slaughter, the one near the Slab Scar :black101: :torgue:

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
Axton is very much a shootman in a shootman game, he gets bonuses to shoot things with :torgue: EXPLOSIONS

internet celebrity posted:

I get where you're coming from but Krieg is a really nice change of pace. Of the ~10 playthroughs I've done of BL2, I think TVHM Krieg was the most fun.

With melee Krieg I was having the worst time early on in nvhm, but as I got down the Mania tree things got better. Early game mania is awful because you cannot manage your HP well, and have to use transfusions or play very conservatively. After I beat NVHM, and grabbed a rough rider from Hammerlocks DLC, and finally got RtB and.... I cannot even explain how hilarious RtB tanking mobs is. I join 4p tvhm and just faceroll mobs as my team is busy throwing turrets/using phaselock/going into deception/etc. :shepspends: Buy Krieg (on sale ofc)

watho posted:

I play him as a shootydude and he's still really good and fun. It sucks that they went back to the Brick style design of all or nothing when it comes to the action skill but a really fun character none the less.

I punch him, but yeah super fun.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Kikas posted:

Nah, with Axton you need to spec into two turrets on UVHM so they can draw aggro so you can blast faces off with your legendaries or suffer a swift and horrible death was my experience. Even on TVHM it felt like my turred died a LOT faster then before. Which is to say, it died at all.
But for the first playthrough? Longbow Nuke turrent and never look back. I've had the luck of hitting lvl 31 for the Nuke just before the second Circle of Slaughter, the one near the Slab Scar :black101: :torgue:

Gemini is not required, but you really need the phalanx shield on uvhm or you will lose your turret/bonuses to trash mobs which is v bad.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD
Axton has all these passive bonuses that are great on paper but make him really uninteresting to play. I only managed about 40 hours in the game as a whole because he was my first character and once I beat the game I was just like "ok I'm done".

I started playing again a few days ago as Gaige and focusing on deathtrap skills and it didn't take very long to get the same feeling...mechanically it's pretty similar to Axton except the turret can move. I respecced to anarchy at about level 20 which has been a lot more fun. Survivability is turning into a bit of a problem even at level 25 though, since at 250+ stacks I have to get pretty much into melee range of everything to have a hope in hell of killing it. Still not really sure how to solve it, maybe the claw skill at the end of the anarchy tree will help.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Vatek posted:

Axton has all these passive bonuses that are great on paper but make him really uninteresting to play. I only managed about 40 hours in the game as a whole because he was my first character and once I beat the game I was just like "ok I'm done".

I started playing again a few days ago as Gaige and focusing on deathtrap skills and it didn't take very long to get the same feeling...mechanically it's pretty similar to Axton except the turret can move. I respecced to anarchy at about level 20 which has been a lot more fun. Survivability is turning into a bit of a problem even at level 25 though, since at 250+ stacks I have to get pretty much into melee range of everything to have a hope in hell of killing it. Still not really sure how to solve it, maybe the claw skill at the end of the anarchy tree will help.

If you haven't yet, take Close Enough from the left tree and Blood Soaked Shields from the Anarchy tree. The former will let you hit things even with negative accuracy, while the latter will replenish your shields every time you kill something. The claw skill is useless, don't bother with it.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD
I definitely got close enough. I take it the trick with blood soaked shields is to run the highest capacity shield you can get your hands on?

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Gaige frustrates me because my favorite thing in games like this is the satisfaction of shooting things and her whole shootman style is "it's impossible to aim, just point towards them and let it rip".

Kikas posted:

I feel like my Phalanx Shield Slag Turret did a pretty okay job of dominating trash encounters all by itself in Playthrough 2.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Vatek posted:

I definitely got close enough. I take it the trick with blood soaked shields is to run the highest capacity shield you can get your hands on?

Yep. Get a beefy turtle shield and let Cooking Up Trouble (also in the left tree) top you off. If you do it right, you'll constantly be regenerating your shield and not really worrying about your health.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Yeah when I played Gaige, Anarchy+Close Enough was pretty much all she needed to get through NVHM. Who cares if the bullets come out of your gun at a 90-degree angle (:lol: this actually happens at max stacks) if you can just shoot at the floor and automagically kill dudes behind you/around corners?!?

I really really want to see if Maya can do some sort of horrible self-healing DoT build. Between Sweet Release, Sustenance, Life Tap and Elation(?) she seems to have some ridiculous tanking potential, then you add in Ruin, Helios, Backdraft, Blight Phoenix, Cloud Kill, Recompense. I'm assuming kill skills proc off of DoTs so you'd basically have Life Tap up permanently so every one of those skills (plus bullets rebounded by Kinetic Armor or bounced damage from Recompense) would constantly be healing you in addition to your actual healing skills... :ssj:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I went with maximum health/health regeneration with my Gaige but mostly because I was pretty pro-active in using Discord.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Is all of NVHM level-locked? In the past I've usually done everything in the order I come across it, but for example does Fink's Slaughterdome have a level range instead of a set level so you might be able to squeeze out another level or two by waiting to do it later? I ask because I'm pretty certain the equivalent in TPS (the Abandoned Training Facility) scales in a range even on NVHM so I wondered if BL2 had areas that worked similarly.

Also, are there any other instances like the Zafford/Hodunk choice where you can lock yourself out of getting/having the chance to farm for a particular item of gear?

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
NVHM tops out at 35 for some areas, but doesn't back scale the previous missions. If you want better gear off to TVHM.

Rakkaholics Anonymous is another such choice between items, choose the Rubi. Lots of great items are mission rewards where you will need to alt-f4+reload to get your items once per play through unless you reset the missions (UVHM)

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

jm20 posted:

Lots of great items are mission rewards where you will need to alt-f4+reload to get your items once per play through unless you reset the missions (UVHM)

Aha, so if I go to turn in a mission, and the reward has bad stats or something like a lovely scope on a shotgun, force-quitting the game will make it re-roll the reward next time?

For some reason I assumed the reward items were generated earlier and 'saved' so you couldn't 'farm' them. Welp.

(Though I don't really see the point in farming for junk before level cap/UVHM. Maybe I'm being naive, but if you're eventually going to outlevel the gear anyway then why bother farming for it? There's a metric truckload of available content/experience in the game as-is, and I figure if I ever need to grind for experience I can always do boss runs for head/skin drops...)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

WarLocke posted:

Maybe I'm being naive, but if you're eventually going to outlevel the gear anyway then why bother farming for it?

Otoh, why continue playing after maxing out your character*, and so why bother farming max level guns you're not going to use much?

*I understand why some people do, but for me in BL2 there isn't much incentive

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Rinkles posted:

Otoh, why continue playing after maxing out your character*, and so why bother farming max level guns you're not going to use much?

*I understand why some people do, but for me in BL2 there isn't much incentive

On the third hand, the level 4 Stabby KerBlaster that Midge Mong dropped for me an hour into the game has been collecting dust in the safe because apparently explosive rounds don't count for assault rifle challenges (or at least not for the crouching one*).

Maybe things will be different in TVHM or UVHM, but I basically just use whatever I get (and check vending machines often to see if I can upgrade), I've never actually sat down to farm for a specific piece of gear.

* Challenges press my skinner box button hard, right now I'm basically using nothing but pistols (kill after ADS), snipers (unaware/no-scope kills) and ARs (crouched kills). The shotgun, SMG, and rocket launcher I'm also carrying around (I hate not having one of each weapon type available just in case I need it) have some serious cobweb issues...

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

jm20 posted:

NVHM tops out at 35 for some areas, but doesn't back scale the previous missions. If you want better gear off to TVHM.

Rakkaholics Anonymous is another such choice between items, choose the Rubi. Lots of great items are mission rewards where you will need to alt-f4+reload to get your items once per play through unless you reset the missions (UVHM)

Or save yourself the trouble and just use a save editor. I wouldn't bother making sure I had a good Rubi in NVHM and maybe TVHM, but in UVHM I'd definitely do it. Kind of depends on the character though, not everyone necessarily needs a Rubi.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
Yeah, no one will judge you for using a save editor or increasing drop rates. Do whatever is most fun, not everyone wants to duel dupe that one legendary per run you find 3 times, or alt-f4ing because someone picks up an echo log on wildlife preserve OP4 :mad:

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

jm20 posted:

alt-f4ing because someone picks up an echo log on wildlife preserve OP4 :mad:

What?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Probably that one echo log mission where as long as it's active, a room on the map is guaranteed to spawn badass loader midgets. So you emergency quit if anyone accidentally picks up the echo log (which is easy to do, because you can pick it up by hold-pressing [whatever the button is] nearby)

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Sep 7, 2016

watho
Aug 2, 2013

There are 4 boxes that are guaranteed to spawn loot midgets as long as you don't pick up the echo recorder. It's not as big of a deal now since you can reset your playthrough.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

watho posted:

There are 4 boxes that are guaranteed to spawn loot midgets as long as you don't pick up the echo recorder. It's not as big of a deal now since you can reset your playthrough.

It's easier to Alt-F4 than to spend the 3 hours to get back to that mission though. It's more of an issue on consoles because you can't use cheat engine to adjust the drop rates, the amount of loot, or outright replace enemies so you can fight say Vermivorous, Tubbies or Warlord Slog in a guaranteed 3 minutes. Playing this game on a console must suck real bad.

Risky Bisquick fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Sep 7, 2016

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
Also there is a borderlands everything sale on steam today, grab all the missing DLC or headhunters you need.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

jm20 posted:

Also there is a borderlands everything sale on steam today, grab all the missing DLC or headhunters you need.

If you own everything in the triple pack but the Pre-Sequel, it drops the Pre-Sequel's price to $3.26. That almost feels like a price error.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

watho posted:

Seriously? I had no idea that's what makes those spawn, and I've played the poo poo out of this game. Huh.

• Locked thread