Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Ratings will become more and more some function of advertising dollars spent averaged with actual game quality. Don't worry, lovely games with no money behind them will still score 3s and 4s all day long. Big-money shitfests from big-name studios however, will continue to score better and better.

Devorum posted:

So is this going to be a game that plays better with a controller, or mouse/keyboard? So far most shooter ports I've played have performed far better with a 360 controller.

It should play better with KB+M this time around. They've added an FoV and mouse acceleration slider, so you can turn mouse acceleration completely off and make the FoV as wide as you want.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Sep 11, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

AirRaid posted:

Since when was low FOV a problem with mouse support?

Most people who use KB+M setups tend to sit closer to their screens because they're at a desk, so an FoV slider would be relevant to the discussion because it implies desktop setups are fully supported and catered to.

Maybe I should have said Borderlands 2 is just as suited to "traditional" KB+M desk setups as it is to traditional comfy-couch and controller setups!

Edit: And while we're talking about standard-of-living improvements, I'd like to just say how absolutely thrilled I am that there's no head bobbing effect at all with the camera in this game. The player's perspective is literally a smoothly floating camera with a gun-and-arms model on the lower right portion of the screen and I cannot begin to express how happy I am about that.

Every game that comes out these days tries to do some kind of head bob thing with the camera and every set of developers that codes this has absolutely no drat clue how to do it right and the game ends up looking like the Blair Witch Project because of it.

Thank you, Gearbox, for knowing how not to gently caress up your entire game with the inclusion of one lovely-but-popular feature.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Sep 11, 2012

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Yodzilla posted:

This is pretty great.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
Are there any good hacks available that can enable physx on ati cards?

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Daedalus1134 posted:

Physx actually requires specialized hardware to function, it's not just a ati/nvidia check. Nvidia cards have onboard physx chips.

Really? Why should it? It's just a lot of physics calculations and maybe extra shader and textures. Just because it's marketed with its own fancy name shouldn't mean it takes some special kind of magic that can't be handled by some combination of your normal CPU and GPU.

I mean, does dynamic lighting need it's own specialized hardware unit to run? Parallax mapping? The Euphoria engine, which combines pre-rendered animations seamlessly blended with naturally occurring physics? No? But they're special, segmentable parts of graphics performance that were implemented after the traditional, simple geometry+textures 3D graphics. And if that's the case, then why should extra physics calculations in a game that already supports other physics 3rd party software like Havok?

Seems to me that "dedicated hardware" that's specially designed to support physx is just a bunch of marketing mumbo jumbo driven by corporate, anti-consumer greed. If anything, I could see artificially programming limitations into the software to prevent people from utilizing physx, but hardware is so powerful these days that I really can't believe physx "needs" specialized hardware that does something our normal stuff can't.

edit: by the way, I'm not yelling at you in particular, but I've heard this argument a few times and it just doesn't add up to me.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Sep 13, 2012

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Donnerberg posted:

Ah yes, such groundbreaking features as high resolution settings, LAN support, vertical sync, customizable FOV and keybinds. It is nice that PC gaming has caught up with the year 1996 again.

Yeah it does suck, but when a game comes out nowadays and the company who makes it publicly shouts about how well supported and great the PC version of its game is, as PC gamers we shouldn't validate our own stereotype by being the self-entitled, sniveling, never-satisfied jerks we're known to be and complain even more about how this is how it always should have been in the first place, we should openly embrace and encourage that behavior. Positive reinforcement and all that.

...even though it always should have always been this way in the first place.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Da Mott Man posted:

It is missing something... Mod support. :goonsay:

Dedicated mod support?

Man I'd be happy if most devs simply didn't lock down their games to make accessing anything as difficult as humanly possible. You used to be able to do stuff like totally rebalance entire games and otherwise change almost everything about a game with a few simple tweaks of an ini file here and there. Wish they'd open file systems back up and stop encrypting every file in every file in every single-player, non-competitive game that hits the shelves these days.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

sicarius posted:

Same here. I went from barely caring about the game to be ultra-hyped in the last week or so. It's weird, but all the media just looks so good. All the promises made to PC gamers make me ecstatic. Even if those things are just considered "normal" it will be nice to see a PC port done well. I'm so ready for this.

And Torchlight II which comes out days later.... EEEEEeeee I'm like a 7 year old on Christmas Eve

I feel the exact same way. I went from knowing but not caring much to holy lord I have to play this yesterday in pretty much no time at all. I'm honestly surprised I didn't take off work for it.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
How does this look for a purely offensive Siren build?

http://talent.87bazillion.com/2/siren.php?525001000005000000005005515051

Fire and acid and electricity and slag everywhere.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Sep 17, 2012

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Pariah Messiah posted:

Even though I wasn't the biggest defender of the first game, I'm convinced now. Downloading through GamersGate as we speak.

PS: How's my build?

http://imgur.com/Mdieb

If I rolled Maya, that's just about the same build I'd use. Tons of elemental damage and crowd control all the time, a playstyle as close to a mage as this game will allow.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
Have they found a way to enable the Physx stuff on ATI cards yet?

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Sii posted:

Now that the DLC has been fixed, I can confirm changing NumKeys value to 999, then you will get 256 keys.

Awesome, this will make the decision about when to open that thing a lot easier. Will this enable you to open the chest multiple times in a single playthrough?

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

slogsdon posted:

The editor for Borderlands took a while to unlock and it took even longer for people to unlock it's full potential. Even then, I think it was fairly locked down.

Borderlands 1 had an editor? As is the game has mod support? ...as in BL2 might have mod support?

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
What's the most backpack space you can have, anyway?

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Lemon King posted:

Well drat! :smug:

I know this isn't why you posted the picture, but I'd just like to say that it reminds me that literally every single gun I've seen in Borderlands 2 pics and videos looks loving awesome. I have yet to see a single weapon that I haven't wanted to spend at least a little bit of time shooting things with.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Sep 18, 2012

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

ComposerGuy posted:

Alright, so, I decided this was definitely something I had to try, and bought it.

...I can't even beat the first boss. Knuckledragger. I don't have NEARLY enough ammo and every time I die all of his life and his minion's life comes back. I have no idea what the gently caress to do.

Go back and open the golden chest?

(with just one of your ini edited golden keys, of course)

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
The Torgue checkered paintjob is one of the most badass things ever. It instantly transforms everything it touches into looking like experimental prototype "industrial hardware, use with extreme caution" gear that was never meant to leave whatever lab it was created in.

:allears:

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Sep 19, 2012

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
Wait, you don't automatically vacuum up money and extra ammo? Aw man. Lame.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Pr0phecy posted:

As someone still on the first play through, this made me happier than you could imagine.

I wonder if the 3rd playthrough and beyond is set at flat-difficulty at max level throughout the entire thing.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
Man I wish the PC version of this game had one weapon slot for each ammo type. I can understand limiting the slots to 4 when you're playing with a controller that only has a d-pad, but when you can instantly pause the game and swap weapons mid-combat, it really seems more like an artifact of console design limitations and just a simple interface hurdle than a design decision.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Sep 23, 2012

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
Is there an upper limit to how many of each ammo type you can hold or can you just keep buying capacity upgrades forever?

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
What happens after you beat the game twice with one character? Is there a NG++ or do you just get released back into the open world of the 2nd playthrough? Can you replay specific quests whenever you want, as in re-enable the actual quest scripts from the game, or do you just fast travel to different places in the world and shoot your way through again on your own pace?

gibbed posted:

They can be upgraded 5 times each.

Good to know, thanks!

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
What happens when you beat New Game+? Is there a New Game++ or do get released back into the New Game+ world, where everything respawns and you can keep playing your favorite parts forever?

Also, can you reactivate and replay quests?

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Jusupov posted:

No new game ++, you are back in new game + but enemies seem tougher.

Can't reactivate quests yet, have to wait for gibbed's save editor for those.

Thanks for the reply.

You know, with as much talk about "end game" and "gameplay feedback loops" as there was during the pre-release media blitz, and also considering the modularity of the quests in general, where you could jump into somebody else's game, complete a quest, and your game would track that, it seems weird that they wouldn't let you just reach back into your quest log and just select the quests you wanted to replay, which would automatically reset them and their scripting.

Seems like that could really extend the life of the game. I know that with most games I play, I can probably call out 3 or 4 favorite areas or missions, and would love the ability to replay those to my heart's content, especially with persistent rewards like gear and xp to make it seem like I'm actually making progress along the way.

Nordick posted:

Well in BL1, with the Knoxx DLC and the last patch for the game, when you beat Crawmerax in Playthrough 2 the game would activate a "Playthrough 2,5". You didn't start the game over or reactivate any quests, but the entire game world scaled up to your level. Every enemy, every chest, every vendor everywhere became max level.

Would make sense for BL2 doing the same thing.

This would be amazing for BL2. This, plus enabling Fast Travel from anywhere, accessible through your character inventory, along with the ability to reset any quest at any time and play it as much as you wanted, would probably be the perfect end game.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Sep 24, 2012

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Party Plane Jones posted:

Most everyone who actually has an account there bought it several years ago when "lifetime" was around $20, which they got rid of.

The Lifetime membership is available again, but now it's $70 US.

...which I'm actually considering paying for because cheat codes are amazing fun once you've beaten a game and want to just mess around with stuff, and most games these days just don't come with any at all.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Sep 24, 2012

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
I might be weird but I like claptrap and usually laugh at all of his jokes. I think it's great that a company can write a purposefully annoying character that well. Also, a lot of his jokes actually are funny.

I did get annoyed with the whole "you're my minion, do this thing, minion" bit at the beginning, but everything after that has been great.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Sep 24, 2012

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
The whole "hey WHOA look at how wacky and zany I am, aren't I just SO OFFENSIVE and OVER THE TOP... eat babies lol" crap is pretty dumb, but there are some genuinely funny moments in the game, like where Hammerlock talks about the scientific integrity and his academic curiosity of some bug's metamorphic process and how fascinating it is and he's condemning people for not having the same view, then the second the thing hatches he interrupts himself and starts shrieking at the top of his lungs for you to kill it oh god it's hideous.

Also, towards the beginning of the game, the Bonerfarts and Butt Stallion bits are pretty good too.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
Do elemental bonuses stack? If I shoot a corrosive gun that does 10 damage over 5 seconds, and two bullets hit something, is that something going to now receive the damage from the two bullets, plus 20 damage over 5 seconds?

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

waah posted:

You beat me to it, but yeah how do you get 101 points to allocate?

The more important question here is that if you max out every skill tree, does it break a bunch of abilities and make things really buggy, or does it turn you into an unstoppable slaughterhouse of destruction and mayhem?

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Kris xK posted:

I'm not sure about other classes, but I did try a fully maxed Axton to see if the turret would work or just spaz out, and it definetly worked. I'd have to assume other classes are the same.

The downside is that now I want a fully maxed out turret all the time.

Two maxed out, double barreled, rocket firing, nuke detonating, enemy slagging turrets with shields that you can remotely deploy onto any surface your character can see from anywhere on the battlefield?

Yeah, that'd be nice.

I wonder if you'd even need any guns with that.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Sep 26, 2012

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Attention Horse posted:

So what do you actually have to do to fail the mission? Die during the boss fight, take too much time fighting through the dam? I'm totally gonna fail it on purpose on my NG+.

Just wait it out. Not sure what happens if you run away, but if you just stick around and get killed a whole bunch, eventually the thing just flies off and carries Roland with it.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

vandalism posted:

I spent about five minutes looking for a trainer and found one that allows for infinite golden key use, even if you don't have any golden keys in your inventory. I turned on the trainer, made sure only to press the activator for the golden key thing, and then turned it off and got to work. I opened the chest about 20-30 times and got two worthwhile sniper rifles, a couple of pistols, and a class mod. I sold off the rest of the stuff for a pretty decent amount. There is no reason not to use a trainer or the cheat engine to get the guns, if that's what you're after. Or you can just use the lovely greens or blues. Most of them are really not that bad.

I agree with this. If getting gold keys is "free" as long as you engage in something as ridiculously arbitrary as pressing F5 on some website within some 20 second window at some specific point during the day, which itself has nothing to do with actually playing the game in question, there's really no good argument not to just use some cheating program to generate your own keys from some other external source that eliminates the hoop jumping.

And if you're really that uncomfortable with the ethics of using a trainer in a non-competitive, offline single player game, then I don't know, just cheat yourself in as many as you "could have" legitimately won through online giveaways and no more.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Harrower posted:

What else am I missing?

Miniguns.

Not the vladof triple barrel assault rifle girly man type... the Jesse Ventura Predator 1 / Terminator 2 rooftop cop car shootout type.

Also, bouncing grenade launchers.

And light rocket launchers. They're somewhere between the exploding round assault rifle and the regular rocket launchers. Kind of like the rocket launcher from the Quake games.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Sep 30, 2012

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
I think the traditional loot idea is that low levels - white, mid levels - blues and greens, max levels - phat purps and oranges.

But it doesn't work like that in Borderlands 2. Every level has every tier of loot, and all of it is technically viable at its equivalent level. You don't absolutely need purple and above loot to get through the game, it just helps make things a bit easier, or they help provide one or two unique boosts to give you something to sculpt your characters around. They're not intended to be absolutely necessary to complete the game.

In some games, yes purples are required and thus more reliably doled out. In Borderlands 2, apparently that's not the case.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Nordick posted:

I find good and/or interesting guns all the time, and often have to agonise over which of the twelve cool pieces I'm going to sell to make room in my backpack. Maybe I'm just easy to please. :v:

Also, it really helps to leave your preconceptions about what each class should use at the door. Shotguns and sniper rifles work great for Axton, pistols and SMGs for Salvadore, etc.

Every class can reliably use every weapon type. Never scrap a weapon just because it doesn't fit with your idea about what your character should be/use.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
So, after playing the game for a while, I'm about ready to start cheating pretty hard. Honestly, more than just god mode and infinite ammo, I'd like to make a few idealized weapons to play around with.

Is it even possible, using something like gibbed's savegame editor, to make customized guns like a Dahl SMG with full-auto zoom fire instead of burst fire, or boosted abilities like zero recoil in every situation, stuff like that? If not, about how much customization can one hope for?

vvv Cool thanks.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jan 17, 2013

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
I've always liked the idea of 3rd party gear creation programs for loot based games. For me, most games with class systems and loot mechanics always devolve into me just using some kind of editor to make very specific (legit, non-overpowered) characters with specific gear loadouts just to see if they're fun/viable without having to spend 20 hours grinding up to that point beforehand.

I remember doing that all the time in Diablo II. It really extended the life of that game for me. "I wonder if X class using Y build with Z gear would be fun. *opens character editor, beep boop beep* Oh hey, this character rules! Time to start leveling one and see if I can make this guy for real." Borderlands 2 needs something like that to keep things interesting, now that end game power levels have kind of tapered off.

For example, I'd love to see what every class in this game plays like at end game, but going through the campaign what, 10 times, just to find that out for myself? Hahaha no. I'll use gibbed's character editor for that. Maybe I'd work on doing that if the reward for building a max level character for every class was in fact getting an in-game interface for creating any piece of gear you could think of within the constraints of the game by just being able to pull up a menu and type in every stat at any time on the fly, but that's about it.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jan 17, 2013

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
Balance is extremely important in loot/level based games. Actually, balance plus proper pacing on the gear treadmill is probably one of the most important factors in determining whether or not this type of game is fun, and I'd imagine it's also incredibly challenging to get right.

Gear too good? Game's too easy and not fun. Gear sucks too much? Game is too hard and not fun. The character always needs to be in the sweet spot between the game being too easy and too hard over the course of the entire power curve, and the fact that doing this is so difficult is the reason ideas like level scaling are so popular among developers, because level scaling removes variables and is easier to control.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jan 18, 2013

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

melon farmer posted:

Isn't the success of BL1 a counterexample to this? That game threw oranges at you like candy, and was never particularly hard.

Same with D2, really. Or Skyrim, though that's probably far enough removed from being "loot-based" that it's not a great example.

edit: Even the concept of a gear treadmill at all isn't ubiquitous in loot-based games, I have a strong feeling its continued existence is stolen shamelessly from WoW. I'm not sure this is how you meant it, as opposed a general gear progression, but yeah BL2 has that going on either way.

I'd say if you feel like you're supposed to be overpowered at the time, and you are overpowered, that's still fun. The whole idea is that the experience needs to meet the player's expectations.

Normally, a player will get bored if things are too easy, and frustrated when things get too hard for no reason. The exeption to this though on either side is, like you said, when you get a big shiny legendary weapon, which the game transmits to you as "sit back and relax, this thing is about to gently caress some poo poo up for a while, aren't you awesome for finding it." The orange text tells you it's supposed to be overpowered and is in fact a reward for your progress. Aren't you great, you video game player you, here's a cookie for your efforts in the form of a six-barrelled rocket-machine-launcher whose rockets explode into a shower of napalm covered chainsaws. The things you're dropping so easily wouldn't be such a cakewalk if you were using normal gear. Or when the opposite happens. That monster ahead is giant. It's probably going to gently caress me up a few times and that's okay because look at that goddamn thing. These situations are okay because the game tells you it's supposed to be that way, and that even though it's wonky right now, there's still a system in place that is fully aware of the wonkiness and will right things soon enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
Is there a point at the end game where every quest is opened and can be completed over and over, kind of like a WoW daily quest, or is it that after you've done everything in a playthrough, the only options are to either farm or start over again?

• Locked thread