Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Yeah, having your own character for solo or online with randoms play has been a no brainer for like forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

I got laid off the other week so I've been lazing around playing video games in between looking for work. Apparently I can go back to my old job tomorrow morning, which means I can't stay up and play BL2 all week. :(

Great problems, I guess!

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

So I'm having a lot of trouble connecting to friends' games. I gave Windows the go-ahead to let BL2 through the firewall and all that jazz, but it times out every time I try to join his game. Anyone else have this problem, and maybe a solution?

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

I cannot handle this talking robot automatic shotgun. :lol:

I'm never getting rid of it.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

NecroBob posted:

Is anyone else having problems with connecting to multiplayer games? I thought this was a Steamworks game, so we wouldn't have to port forward anything. Right now, I've been trying different things for an hour to connect to a friend's game. He shows up in the main menu, but our invitations to each other time out.

I thought they were supposed to fix this. :(

I'm also unable to connect to friends' games. Has anyone figured out how to fix this yet?

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Akoogly Eyes posted:

Holy loving poo poo! What's the downside though? That shield just seems like it's vastly overpowered compared to anything else. There's gotta be a catch, right?

:eng101:

Well with Amp shields when you fire the first shot it drains a decent amount of the shield, so that's sort of a drawback. In this one it- :stare:

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

GreatGreen posted:

Man I wish the PC version of this game had one weapon slot for each ammo type. I can understand limiting the slots to 4 when you're playing with a controller that only has a d-pad, but when you can instantly pause the game and swap weapons mid-combat, it really seems more like an artifact of console design limitations and just a simple interface hurdle than a design decision.

Uhm, speaking as not only a player but a Gunzerker I often need two or more shotguns festooning my body at once thank you sir.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

mr. nazi posted:

Once you take out it's shields (by shooting it in the "nose" area, glowing red circle) it has very little health after that. I died when it was at ~60% health (shields down) and was able to get a second wind from killing it.

I just panicked and covered it in grenades (MIRVs) to take out the tons of nearby enemies, and that combined with one gunzerk did the trick.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Amante posted:

Speaking of H. Jon Benjamin, does anyone else get a huge Archer vibe from Handsome Jack?

Yes, constantly. In fact I'd be pretty surprised if they didn't draw some inspiration from it.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Sostratos posted:

I played through the entire campaign, did every side quest, and didn't see a single legendary item drop until I killed the boss at the end. He dropped a legendary shield that I replaced before I got to Sanctuary in playthrough 2. Are drop rates really that bad unless you play co-op?

Yeah, I'm only like halfway through the game probably but I've only gotten one orange. It's not that I wouldn't like to play with friends, though! I really really would, but I still can't play co-op online in this cooperative Steam-integrated game in the year 2012!

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

I'm reluctant to try money shot because I feel like it would require too much thinking. "Okay, last shot in my 200-round magazine coming up, better hit with it. I mean, it might be another minute or two because sometimes my bullets don't actually disappear and sometimes they become MORE bullets, but time to start thi-gently caress I missed the critical spot."

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

On my main guy who isn't even level 30 yet, I've gotten two oranges. I don't know how many purples I've gotten, but it's enough to finish that entire badass challenge so probably a lot. And that's playing probably 75% single player and not doing any boring-rear end grinding (okay aside from playing some slots).

I just don't know what to think about you guys who are acting like purples are crazy rare and oranges are unheard of. Do y'all not feel like you find a lot of chests or hunt down a lot of special enemies, or something?

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Numbnuts posted:

Considering that badass points take more time to acquire as you progress, combined with the fact you can only choose one of five random stats, I'd say by the time you reach that point, Borderlands 3 is probably out.

They don't seem to be random though, which makes favoring any less than 5 or 6 stats impossible. For instance, I pick Fire Rate literally every time I see it, but it's still a whole percentage point behind one or two other stats. I think they take stats out of "rotation" until at least a certain number of other stats have caught up or appeared enough times. Like, I never choose shield regen rate, and it shows up every single time as a choice.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

I can only speak for myself, but I don't really care about the keys. I just would like something constructive to do with eridium and maybe more uses for money past a certain point.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Miles O'Brian posted:

Got a duplicate of the Vladof Sickle skin for Zer0 going spare, steam name Makaero. Going for free but I'll take a spare Gunzerker skin if you have one. v:shobon:v

I wouldn't worry about giving it away; anyone who's played slots for even a middling amount of time has probably unlocked Vladof for all characters. Just go do that for a while if you want it for your Sal.

ed: question, though. is it possible to unlock all skins and heads in the first playthrough, or are there any that only appear on pt2, or what? are there any that are only drops and not rewards? I'm still not done with my first playthrough but I figure I'm getting close (lvl 30), and at this point I only bother with sidequests that give customization options since I'm pretty happy with my guns and whatever drops randomly.

Pharmaskittle fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Oct 1, 2012

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Glen Goobersmooches posted:

For the Vault Veteran heads, do you just need the existence of a BL1 save, or does it need to have beaten the game? Also, it needs to be on the same Steam profile I presume? Boourns

Just any save. Probably the same profile, I dunno.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Jonny Angel posted:

The 360 one (which is KTKJT-Z3K5F-BR63X-K63T3-BBK66) says it's not working. This is my first experience with a Shift code, do I have to register somewhere or poo poo? Or am I just being an idiot and probably copying it wrong/inputting it before/after it's valid?

I'm on PC and I had to register, so presumably so do 360 players. Also it should have expired a little more than 5 minutes ago, so that might be it too.

ed: \/\/\/You're right, it looks like I got thrown off by the forum timestamps

Pharmaskittle fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Oct 4, 2012

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

LordZoric posted:

Yeah I thought Jack pretty much viewed the vault hunters and most of Pandora's current residents as sub-human scum that were ruining HIS GLORIOUS PLAN for Pandora. Though as we all saw as the game went on, he's just a narcissistic sociopath obsessed with power who justifies his atrocities by hiding behind supposed good intentions.

To be fair, even the vault hunters are complete scum if you only look at them superficially. You've got what, a possibly-alien murderer for hire, a deserter, a steroid-abusing psycho, and... I dunno, whatever Maya's weird cult backstory is about.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

padijun posted:

I don't get the comparison outside of the yelling about smashing the system. It looks like Gaige is some sort of upper middle class teenager who happens to be good at building robots, Tina is basically hip-hop phrases and yelled memes

They're precocious young girls who build dangerous stuff and I guess are down with murder.

In any other game, Tina would have irritated the ever loving poo poo out of me because I'm not a fan of kids who act like adults and I guess she says a lot of memes (I dunno, for a guy who paid tenbux to post on a forum I guess I'm pretty meme-ignorant since I caught barely any outside of a few Badass challenges). But in this, it just fits and she's not really in it that much.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

dis astranagant posted:

http://talent.87bazillion.com/2/gunzerker.php?550000531005005005505100000000000 this is my typical build for him. The brawn tree is loving terrible and does little to actually help you survive in TVHM so this is designed to keep you gunzerking at all times and make you as nasty as possible while doing so. The second gunlust skill (after locked and loaded) is largely a matter of taste, none of the 3 options does a whole hell of a lot. Money shot is amazingly powerful with shotguns and Down Not Out makes it very easy to get second winds. Lay Waste stacks with Locked and Loaded and Keep Firing to give you hilarious rates of fire and short reload times.

This is point-for-point the build I'm going for, but I'm just wrapping up PT1 at lvl 31 and got Keep Firing with nothing in the left tree yet.

The only difference is I'm not sure if I want to use Gunlust tier 3 for Money Shot or Divergent Likeness. Money Shot seems pretty good, but most of the time I'm hosing away and imagine it'd be hard to gauge when that last bullet is going to actually fire due to the "look at all these bullets" skills I love from Rampage. I'm just not sure how useful Divergent Likeness looks. I figure I'll pass on Auto-Load because swapping guns will negate Keep Firing.

Basically my plan is "project as much hurt as possible as fast as possible" and it's been working wonders so far.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

I love Jack as a villain and all, but one thing sort of bugs me. Whoever wrote him apparently subscribes to that idea that "Everyone thinks they're the hero. No bad guy knows they're a cackling mustache twirler!" Which is valid and a good thing to keep in mind for any bad guy, but that doesn't mean your villain has to shout "I'm the good guy and you're the bad guy!!" every 30 minutes.

An example of this working pretty well is Director Tideman or whatever in Dead Space 2; he's obviously doing what he believes he has to to contain the outbreak, and that just runs counter to what your character believes is necessary. Neither of you are monsters or anything, you just happen to be the real hero who has the (more) correct information. Tideman isn't crazy memorable because he's ultimately not that important and that's okay, but his motivations get across without him saying them aloud over and over.

Also, is there a website I can enter SHIFT codes on without starting up Borderlands? Like half the time I'll jump into it and friends will be all "HEY LET'S PLAY" and I have to explain I was just starting it to enter a code and then paste the code to them to be nice, etc.

Pharmaskittle fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Oct 6, 2012

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

RandolphCarter posted:

Something I've noticed while playing with Salvador, when Lilith teleports you you can see that he has tattoos on both of hit trigger fingers. I'm playing on the PS3 and can't make them out, so if one of you PC players could get a shot of them I'd really appreciate it.

The one on the right says "Right" and the one on the left says "Wrong"

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Asehujiko posted:

I just entered the Eridium Blight and got a bunch of sidequests, how far am I into the game?

Eridium Blight is pretty much the last big open area you find, so you shouldn't be too far from the end of the main quest. But y'know, if you do all your sidequests it could still be another few hours, so who knows.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Cardboard Fox posted:

Doesn't Seraph mean "the burning one" or something like that?

I'm going to guess rare orange(dark orange) will make a return in the DLC.

I dunno the literal translation but it's basically an angel.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

I'm running on a Radeon 5750 with 8 gigs of RAM, 32-bit Vista, and an old dual core that's bottlenecking the poo poo out of the whole thing, and I run this game just fine.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

I said come in! posted:

If that's not a typo, you really should be using 64-bit Windows 7. :) By being on a 32bit OS, it's not possible to use all of the ram you have available. And Microsoft dropped support for Vista this year.

Yeah, the point was that you don't need a decent computer to run BL2. I'm aware of the RAM limitation, but I upgrade my computer piecemeal and unexpectedly ran out of reliable disposable income before upgrading the OS. Considering finishing it up (for a few years) as a Christmas gift to myself this year. I heard they were practically giving copies of 7 away as some kind of promotion a while back, but I guess I missed that.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

A couple of people were asking for PT2 Salvadors. Here's one I just finished PT1 with. I haven't started PT2 with him yet, I dunno if that matters.

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0Bxv2w1fHiN1CTW9rLVF0elVSSWc

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Fibby Boy posted:

Huh. Did not know that. Actually kinda glad I'm not using a launcher on my gunzerker.

Yeah, I don't really love them as a zerker but I feel like it's smart for me to have a designated launcher slot for clutch FFYLs.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Mr E posted:

I've been playing the game recently and was wondering if the best way to do side quests is to do all of the ones available after every main mission or if it was better to wait to do some because of the way scaling works?

After a while I ended up just cherry picking the quests that either gave customization items or sounded neat from their descriptions. I'm sure there's some cool stuff I missed, but I figure I'll be playing this for a while and will eventually see everything.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

^^^Wait I thought completing optional objectives never did anything, just gave you progress towards the badass challenge?

DrBouvenstein posted:

That being said, the last couple of pages are...confusing...to me. So, is it a "thing" that I have to edit my files, or whatever, to get a super-awesome, custom gun that shoots diamonds, or something? Right now I just run around, open chests, pick up poo poo that drops from enemies. If it's good, I keep it, if it's not, I sell it. I also haven't "farmed" anything yet, and I think I've read stuff about not doing XYZ until you're a certain level, so that the item you get is a higher level? All of that seems like too much work. Part of the reason I gave up on Diablo II and never bothered with III was the insistence of the community that you just have to have the best poo poo. I just want to hop in, shoot some poo poo, and leave.

Yeah you don't need to cheat. I haven't at all (I didn't even do the golden key thing) and I'm still having a blast. I've never ever farmed anything either because that seems really boring to me, and I'm doing fine. But then, I'm also playing with a bunch of friends who don't have the patience or inclination to do that goofy poo poo either, so maybe it'd suck if you were playing with spergs who can't imagine not having Supergun or whatever.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Kalsco posted:

Does anyone mind expanding on these? I'm curious as to why, in both cases. Oh, and how does multiplayer work this time around? Does it still go through a third party system, and if it does it is as obnoxious as Gamespy was?

Well, I was already kind of on the edge beforehand, and I guess this is what tips me over. It'll be nice to actually have people to play with, if I end up (and I probably will be) playing with goons. Thanks for the responses!

The multiplayer just runs through Steam, thank goodness. The UI could definitely be better, but I've played for something like 50 hours and have never gotten at all frustrated with it. Now that the connectivity bug I was having has been patched, there are really zero dealbreakers about this game. It's fun!

Pharmaskittle fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Oct 12, 2012

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

There are a shitload of fantastic SMGs; I like Maliwan generally but the Hyperion ones are good if they have decent magazines and Tediores are okay for throwing. It can be pretty hard to find a good assault rifle though.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

What are good guns for an early-game Chaos Gaige? Or would people recommend holding off on that tree until I've got more points? I like the class for the most part, but I'm having some trouble critically selecting my equipment.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Fenn the Fool! posted:

However, that doesn't necessarily mean 2854 AD. Tanis mentions that word of the vault spread across multiple galaxies and Hyperion claims to sell guns in 5 galaxies. Our galaxy has 200-400 billion stars in it. Doing some rough math that level of population growth is only barely in the range of possible, and only if everybody is seriously getting busy. Even then if the mortality rates on your typical newly colonized planet is anything like it is on Pandora, well.

The mortality rate is 0 because of New-U. People only die of either old age or dramatic appropriateness.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Broken Cog posted:

Also, the New-U stations are obviously just a humorous game mechanic. There is no reason to try and shoehorn it into the plot, as it makes no sense if you do.

The Borderlands setting is about as goofy and nonsensical as something like 40k so, like with 40k, I just throw my hands up and go "YEAH OKAY FINE" and accept every little thing that isn't logical.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Magmarashi posted:

Maybe I just don't get the raging hate for MLP but are 1-2 references in skill descriptions in a class you don't can't even use unless you buy it really such a huge issue that a purchase can hinge on it? I've seen this all over the place here, and it seems just as unhealthily obsessive as the 'bronies' themselves.

Yeah, I caught like two or three memes total and they didn't make me pull my hair out, and this is speaking as a member of the Something Awful Online Forums.

If you're one of the people catching winks and nods all over the place, I dunno man, maybe half the blame is on you for spending so much time on the internet.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

NoodleBox posted:

I wasn't actually able to find any midget goliath/nomad/shotgunner files, which leads me to think that theres some sort of in-game thing going on rather then them having their own audio files

As far as i can think of, they say all the same stuff, so yeah they may just have an in-game filter slapped on them.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

ColHannibal posted:

What is Gaige's role? I don't think she's a real damage dealer, is she a tank?

Uh, she's the craziest damage dealer in the game with Anarchy. With the other trees, she's more rounded.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Zephro posted:

There's no need to use a shift code key right away, right? I can hang on to it until my character is max level?

The code expires, but the key is yours for good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Male Man posted:

It's team ammo regen, so you might want to make a friend.

A bullet absorption shield might help a little with this, too.

• Locked thread