Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Arcsquad12 posted:

I wonder how the chatty Player Characters will work out for singleplayer. A lot of their dialogue sounds like it's built around a four person setup with each different character. Will a solo playthrough just have the PCs talk to themselves?

Worked for the Psycho!

I took it to mean they might have dialogue for quest givers and things as well, they just didn't show any of it, but maybe not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

StandardVC10 posted:

Do we know this for sure yet or is it just supposition?

No one knows anything.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The only good part of the Torque DLC was Torque himself. Beyond the slightly more entertaining context of pro-wrestling and somewhat varied arenas it was just Moxxi's Underboobdome with more travel time. The loot weren't even that good, I couldn't bring myself to grind for tokens and the storyline reward was terrible. At least Captain Scarlett ended with a room full of chests.

Speaking of Captain Scarlett, was that rebalanced for UVHM? I played through it with a friend on TVHM but it seemed to assume your character was level 37 or something at the start no matter what level you actually were. Or was that just the quest rewards? I can't remember.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

fookolt posted:

Yeah, I definitely agree. I prefer a shorter game (not a *short* game) that grows with substantive DLC. I think it's all about expectation management.

BL2 had at least two large areas that could have been cut with no real effect which is a real drain on how it felt, I think. Those purple wastelands had nothing to do with anything other than to send the player to the Buzzard crater and the mining town was nothing but side quests. Hell, the wastelands don't even fit the narrative because it comes immediately after you kill Angel and Jack changes from wacky bad guy to not very wacky... except the wastelands has him immediately revert to wacky before changing again for Fyrestone.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

FactsAreUseless posted:

I still don't know who thought the dragons were a good idea. They're buzzards but worse.

At least buzzards generally put themselves into a position to be shot. My experience with the dragons consists of "Wait 20 seconds for them to move toward you, shoot them a few times, wait another 20 seconds." The boss dragon on the bridge literally didn't attack a friend and I when we played it on UVHM. Just went around and around and around.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

wdarkk posted:

It heals you.

I might be remembering incorrectly but doesn't the fire damage over time heal you as well?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Ardeem posted:

BL2 has exponenential scaling for damage and HP, but the mobs scale faster. This means that every time you level up, you actually get weaker compared to them. Skill points can help offset this and current level guns help a lot. At the high end a white gun can have better stats than a purple that's just one level lower. Instead of farming up new orange guns a lot of players just use cheating tools to level up their guns with them.

High level games are much better balanced around co-op. Even just having one other person around can make all the difference. Me and a friend did a fair amount of UVHM with just a Gaige and Krieg with no farming or cheating, although we didn't do any of the really touch content. Granted we were playing as Gaige and Krieg but most of the time at that level we died because we just couldn't kill something fast enough, probably because it killed us from 25 meters away, to get a second wind. Having someone to revive helps a lot.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Deakul posted:

Hey

Hey guys

Hey

I heard you guys were disappointed with loot drop rates
http://www.gearboxsoftware.com/community/articles/1371/legendary-drop-rate-hot-fixes-releasing-today

so after 3 years we finally fixed it

maybe

Are they also going to fix assault rifle damage?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I've always saidyou basically have to play with friends to make UVHM fun. That said though I found a full anarchy Gaige was pretty fun on UVHM. I don't remember the exact specs and equipment of the character but I think I took whatever I could (outside of the anarchy stacks) that increased my health, shield/health regen on [X], used the shield type that gave a health boost, used a slag vampire grenade, and basically never stopped moving, jumping, and firing.

The hard part is getting enough stacks right off the bat but I almost never played UVHM alone so that probably took the worst bite out of that.

Kibayasu fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Sep 15, 2015

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Ryuujin posted:

So after signing up for Shift codes so I could get those keys everyone is always talking about I got an email about some other game called Battleborn. Anyone know anything about that? Does it have a thread or something?

It's Gearbox's in-development MOBA. There was a law signed back a while ago that every video game developer has to make at least one during its life and its Gearbox's turn.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Kerrrrrrr posted:

I cannot fathom why people keep calling Battleborn a moba. It's a co-op FPS with some multiplayer maps thrown in. :psyduck:

If something has all the classical elements of one thing, it's probably going to be that thing. It's not just "some multiplayer maps," they've barely talked about whatever single player campaign is, all of the favour has gone to the multiplayer (which is a MOBA).

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Did they fix assault rifle damage being useless at higher difficulties?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Kaethela posted:

Play as Krieg.

Which is basically a step sideways, both are great. I think I prefer Gaige just because, as soon as Anarchy is high enough, it allows me to literally run, jump around like a maniac, and shoot "around" cover without any regard to where I'm aiming or where any enemies are with basically any weapon outside of sniper rifles.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

WarLocke posted:

Oh, I meant to ask about this too.

I get that your total badass rank is kind of an 'account level' thing shared between characters, but for each character is it difficulty-specific? As in, can I get a bunch of badass ranks for the 'kill bullymongs' challenge in normal, then do the challenge over again in the next difficulty? Or is it that you can only do each challenge once per character?

Edit: Read that wrong.

I think its one challenge only for all characters. So you can't get a bunch of basic challenges done multiple times.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

UnknownMercenary posted:

vv Yes. Do keep in mind that while challenges are character independent, the badass rank is tied to your game and not each character save so as you level up, doing more and more basic challenges even on a new character gives you less return because it takes progressively more points to reach new ranks.

Right, that's what I was confusing.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Torque shotguns work great for Gaige once you've built up a fair bit of Anarchy but not so much when you've only got a few stacks.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Also pretty much every side character in Borderlands is a one dimensional stereotype that reminds you of their one major personality trait every time they talk to you (Moxxi is sexy, Scooter is an idiot, Zed is a terrible doctor, Marcus tries to sell everything, Tannis is crazy, Hammerlock is British, Brick is violent, Lilith is a tomboy, Roland is a soldier, Mordecai is a drunk, Tina is... I don't actually know) so deciding that someone being a flirt who happens to be a lesbian (as opposed to Moxxi, for example) as something to mention in a "These are the terrible things about TPS" list could be considered a bit weird.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

If you aren't playing UVHM with a pack of friends all playing as either Gaige or Krieg you're doing it wrong (I never got the hang of Salvadore).

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

So, if BL2 supports cloud saving, why is it that when I'm playing on my mac, I have my regular, usual character (Gunzerker, probably level 26 or something), but he doesn't show up when I load the game up on PC? Are the saves not cross-platform?

Also, in the event that I have to start over (I've played the first 10 hours of BL2 so many goddamned times :negative:), I have all the characters, but have only really spent time with Salvatore (Salvador?) and Axton... who should I play as? I have Krieg and the Mechromancer, as well.

If you ever wanted to play BL2 by just jumping around everywhere while firing at everything and nothing (after you get some levels at least) then Gaige in an Anarchy build with Close Enough is a good time, though you can run into some trouble on some bosses while playing solo. I've found stacking +health as much as possible on her increases her survivability a lot as well, even in TVHM and UVHM.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

AirRaid posted:

Adding a vote for Maya. I didn't like Gaige, she's too much of a glass cannon, and I generally prefer accuracy in my guns, so anarchy annoys me a bit. Maya is awesome to play though, she can really control the battle, and deal a shitload of damage to boot.

Krieg is fun but if you want to play with all the guns he's not the best choice for that.

You have plenty of accuracy when every other bullet bounces off a wall and goes straight toward an enemy, of which every 5th bullet will also ricochet off that enemy and hit another.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Khizan posted:

That's not the same, though. I mean, with Gaige, you might as well just not bother aiming at all, you just point in their general direction and hold the trigger down. Sure, it's effective, but it doesn't actually feel like you're doing anything to earn the kill.

I do admit that you kind of have to make your own fun with Gaige if just being able to put out ridiculous damage isn't enough but . That's why I stack +heath relics, +health shields, or whatever else gives health (it's been a while) because a huge health pool combined with Gaige's % health/shield regeneration skills and her damage means even on TVHM and some of UVHM I can actually run and jump around while shooting instead of forever popping in and out of cover. Like Krieg, it turns things into kind of a different game.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The trick to beating Mad Mel is to die once and then kill him from the ramp leading into the arena. At least that's the way I remember doing it.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I went with maximum health/health regeneration with my Gaige but mostly because I was pretty pro-active in using Discord.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Unless you mean a bigger, more formal kind of announcement (which I searched for and didn't find anything) Borderlands 3 being a thing has been a thing for a bit now.

Or :thejoke: on me.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I never had too much trouble getting Anarchy up to a usable level with a fresh start playing co-op, barring random bad luck. Discord was usually a must to stay alive long enough though.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Solumin posted:

Krieg has a skill called Raving Retribution that releases homing fireballs when he's hit if he's currently on fire. (He sets himself aflame on purpose. It's part of the build.) This can happen once per second, and it triggers a special voiceline. Those voicelines are amazing and can be heard here: http://borderlands.wikia.com/wiki/Krieg/Quotes

But then, as The White Dragon said, Gearbox hates fun. First they turned down the frequency of the rants, until they happened really rarely, and apparently they turned them off entirely. It basically took away one of the most hilarious parts of the character.

I haven't played BL2 in a long while but if they did that to Krieg did they reduce Gaige's yelling as she climbs the Anarchy stacks? I remember basically getting voice clip after voice clip in fights when at a full 400 or whatever and it was amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Khizan posted:

Personally, I hate how the Anarchy mechanic basically removes all shooter gameplay from the character.

Playing Gaige with full Anarchy become more like a bullet hell.

• Locked thread