Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Kiggles posted:

Looks like it. I just pre-ordered and they gave me a key. Log-in to your account and check the "keys" section. They may simply not automatically email when keys are available, but rather when the game technically unlocks.

Wait, are you saying you got BL2 on GMG and they already gave you a key, or are you talking about another game / in general? I bought a copy on there last night and my key page is empty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Comrade Flynn posted:

It looks like only people that bought today are getting the keys.

That's so bizarre. I wonder why that is.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Rad Valtar posted:

I just checked my GMG account and where it use to say I couldn't download the game until the 18th there is now a download button that gives instructions for installing the game on steam. I'm looking around for a key but I still don't see one.

Weird. I just downloaded and played five hours of the game.

Just kidding. My account is the same way. I assume we'll get keys on release day. Some people just have their keys available early, not that it'll do them any good.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

fookolt posted:

A 4.5gb preload? drat, that is tiny. I imagine they'll send over a second chunk when it unlocks or something?

Nope, not usually. Skyrim was a small file, as well, and a lot of people balked at how such a large game could come in a such a tiny package. There might be a day-one patch or quickfix released, but I'm fairly sure you have the entire game encrypted on your HD right now.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Gangringo posted:

I see a lot of people getting keys from GMG. If I haven't gotten mine yet should I be concerned?

I bought my copy on GMG Wednesday and I haven't gotten a key yet. Their system seems retarded as hell, since people who bought the game Thursday got their keys instantly, and people who bought the game weeks ago have finally gotten their keys. There's no real rhyme or reason to it. Personally, I'm going to wait until Sunday evening before I shoot them an e-mail.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Regarding the Mechronmancer DLC, I received a single key from GMG which enabled me to add and preload Borderlands 2 on Steam. It looks like the Mechromancer DLC is listed and downloaded separately in the Steam Library, but I see no mention of this. Is there a second (unreleased) key for that, or does preordering the game on GMG not entitle you to it?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Male Man posted:

In the upper right of Steam, click on [yourname]'s Account and select "Account Details". It should list "Borderlands 2 Game and Premier Club DLC WW ... Retail" under your licenses if you've activated a key from GMG.

Cool, thanks buddy. I'm seeing exactly what you say I should be seeing, so I'm satisfied.

Unusually excited for this to come out.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

I'm going to set my clock 5 minutes slow so I'll be playing at 8:55 PST, a full five minutes before the rest of you scrubs. :smugdog:

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

BJPaskoff posted:

I know you don't think anyone cares, but I do! :bravo:

Yeah, agreeing with afkmacro. This sort of gave it away. Now I'm sad.

9 more hours, though.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Steam is ready to launch Borderlands 2...
...right after we download all these loving C++ libraries and extra bullshit.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Shyfted One posted:

.NET Framework Client Profile Maintenance

What the gently caress is this poo poo.

Seriously, I've never seen a game require the installation of six separate things.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Probably doing something ridiculous, but I'm level 4 and I haven't gotten a single skill point yet. Am I missing something obvious?

EDIT: Oh, thanks. Either I missed that or the game doesn't tell you.
VVVVVVVVVV

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Sep 18, 2012

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Bandit: "I am the one who knocks!" :3:

I must have a soft spot for midgets, because the one in the opening movie made me laugh like a child, especially when he started dancing on the hood of the truck. And I felt really bad for killing Bewm.

Burn in hell, you monstrous little jetpack-wearing troll.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

WienerDog posted:

I have physix on Med with an ATI card (6970), but people have been reporting playing on High physix with lower end ATI products.

I want to say that (most of) the people claiming to run Physx on "high" with 5-series and older ATI cards are not actually getting 60 FPS. They're probably getting a playable framerate, but their eyes need to be checked if they think there isn't a significant impact to performance while running with the Physx cranked up. For me, on a 5850, it's night and day between "low" and "high", especially during firefights like the one with BoomBewm.

Now let's make this fuckin' city fly.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

slogsdon posted:

Isn't PhysX handled by the CPU if you don't have an nvidia card?

Probably. I've got an i7 and running with "High" Physx definitely socks framerates in the dick. It's playable, but it's probably about an average hit of 15 FPS (during firefights, of course. Walking around exploring, the difference is virtually nonexistent.)

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

So the Goliaths are interesting. When they flip into a rage and their head blows off into a worm thing, and then they start attacking everything in sight...that's certainly a thing. :stare:

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Fellatio del Toro posted:

It'd be cool if there was an option between One Million Particles and Zero Particles. Would not be surprised though if that's part of some horseshit licensing deal with nvidia.

Yeah, I definitely don't like the aesthetic difference between Physx on "low" and Physx on "Medium." Entire features completely disappear on "low", simply because they don't have a non-Physx equivalent. Sparks, blood, debris, limbs. We've had all of those things in games for the last couple of decades without needing to use Physx, is it so much to ask for some of those things to have less-intensive static versions?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Found my first orange too

When you reload it you throw it out in a straight line, after a few seconds it does a U-turn and comes back to you, homing in on any enemies along the way.

Well, mine's no boomerang, but lookit the fuckin' bayonet on this thing!

Lemon King posted:

Found all the DLC info, Gearbox may add additional DLC later on.

Orchid, Iris, Sage and DLC4 are the major DLC packs; Orchid is about 2.6gb.

Jesus, that's about half the size of the base game. Assuming it uses a lot of preexisting resources (sounds, textures, models, etc.) that's a big loving DLC.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

mastersord posted:

I know I got a corrosive death from a barrel and I saw a brain explode from a shock barrel. Check to make sure your gore settings are turned on.

Gore settings? I don't believe there's an option for that, at least in the menus.

I just found (and got my Level 5 rear end handed to me) Ebonfloe and the Icy Coasts outside Liar's Berg. On a previous character that I scrapped when I got to Sanctuary, I didn't encounter any quests taking me to these places, so I want to say you find them only through exploration.

Either way, very cool. I've almost died in the frozen waters so many times.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Fellatio del Toro posted:

Oh man it's not an orange but this motherfucker rules:

It lobs a goddamn napalm barrage.

I'm seeing an ornate dildo in that barrel.
Very nice.

Kukash posted:

Anyone else find the Commando kind of boring. I'm only level 14 but it seems like all I do is throw down turret and snipe dudes. Maybe I'm playing him wrong but it's getting a bit stale.

I started playing a Commando and, after spending 15 minutes shopping for perks, thought, "You know, this is CoD class." Only instead of Soap, I named my Commando, "Soap and Water".

A lot of emphasis on rifles, movement, reloading, and cover with an equal amount of emphasis on support-by-fire (the turret) role. It enables you to play the game as, surprise, a commando. There's a lot of medium-range firefighting and locking down avenues of approach with the turret(s). Speaking of which, I can imagine the Commando being a pretty powerful force if you choose the trait that lets him lay down two turrets--especially if those turrets are upgraded.

If you don't like the idea of something else doing a lot of your killing for you while you toss grenades and take out targets of opportunity, I doubt the Commando or the Mechromancer are going to be your thing.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Super late so sorry if this has already been discussed half to death but played Borderlands 1 through a single time and was done with it, the total lack of any plot, and the dull as hell setting just through me off (mainly just brown everywhere grew old.)

Does this game handle those two things any better? Super on the fence on this game

I want to say that Borderlands 2 improves on both of your gripes, but the story still isn't super great or important. That being said, the characters have a lot more personality, and the world feels more alive. Plus, there's definitely a greater variety of environments, and the game looks great.

Borderlands 2 is still a loot-driven Sci-Fi Diablo game in an FPS package, though. If the setting and story turned you off to the first one, I can't see you having a completely different opinion about its sequel, because those were never really the selling points of the game.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Found this on my Level 7 Commando. I had already selected a skill that caused my health to regenerate after my shields were topped off. This makes that really easy. The drat thing regenerates almost immediately after getting hit, and then my health starts climbing again.

Sure, it might be obsolete in the future, but for such a low level? Get out of here.

Also, I just spent the last 30 minutes screwing with Goliaths. Pop their head off and kite them around so they wreck other opponents, level them up, and then take them down. It's so simple, but so fun.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Veinless posted:

Where is the weapon screenshots folder? I've had no luck finding it.

It's in your Steam Screenshots folder. Right click on your Steam tray icon and you can open up the screenshots page; you'll have the option of it opening up the actual folder, which is hidden deep in a place you'd never find it.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

So some of you nerds have probably hunted down and killed the four Ninja turtle Ratmen, but did you know there were actually five? That's right, goddamned Splinter makes an appearance, too, and he's a son of a bitch.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

TopHatGenius posted:

The weapon he dropped was very delicious, and it took quite a while before I replaced it.

Given the circumstances, I was hoping for something a little more unique than the junk-blue Bandit pistol I received. :sigh:

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

A while back, somebody mentioned that they had somehow gained infinite ammo without using a weapon flagged as having infinite ammo. I figured they were simply using a weapon that had the stat hidden. But just now, I was in the middle of a firefight when I began reloading a rocket launcher--I interrupted the reload and switched to a different weapon, began firing, and realized I wasn't using any ammo. I tried it on my other hotkeyed weapons, and they were limitless, too. Then I swapped weapons out with some in my inventory and those were unlimited, too. I haven't tried reproducing it yet, but it seems like it could be a strange trick to giving yourself unlimited ammo (for a session.)

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Metrohunter posted:

If anything happens, it'll probably be like the TF2 halo thing. There used to be a little program that you ran that allowed you to idle in servers to get items without having to actually have the game running.
After fixing it, Valve gave everyone who didn't use that program a special hat (an angel's halo) that was untradeable, so if you cheated, you'd never be able to get it.

Hopefully it's a boyscout uniform, then. I need a boyscout uniform for my grizzled veteran beard.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

An update was put out about 20 minutes ago. The changelog:

-Minor Bug Fixes

Oh, well good to know.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

REPAIR THE BEACON
REPAIR THE BEACON
REPAIR THE BEACON

Riddle: How far into the game am I?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Man, Moxxi gives you some drat spiffy guns if you donate enough money to her. Didn't really count how much I gave her, but I'd estimate she gives them to you at 35k and 50k.

You might be telling the truth.
Or you might have gotten screwed, and want to see other people donate 35k-50k to her. :tinfoil:

Am I crazy for finding the various robots to be one of the more enjoyable categories of enemy to fight? All of those parts and sparks really give you some feedback when you're blasting through groups of them. I went into the whole thing expecting them to be a loving drag.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Xaander posted:

Pictured: A very dedicated Goliath.

My two friends and I are playing through this together, and Goliath farming might be our favorite part. The chaos that ensues when you try to train one up to GOD level is beautiful, and the satisfaction of destroying him at the end is so nice. Especially with the loot ones.

Me: Sitting on a cliff about 100 feet up, just threw a Goliath into a rage with a well-placed shot. Going to enjoy the show.
Goliath: Leaping up this 100 foot cliff to kill you. In a single bound.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

On Terra Firma posted:

Soooo have there been any sightings of the Micheal person on Sanctuary on PC? I haven't found him yet and I've done quite a few runs...

I ran into him, too. He offered me a blue grenade, which I had no room for. So I left him with his arm out.

You know what would be neat? The ability to recall the Commando's turret without having to be right next to it.

Filthy Monkey posted:

That isn't actually a bonus. It is saying that it has 180% crit damage instead of the normal sniper rifle 200%.

I'm under the impression that the "+" next to it means additional, like, "In addition to the base critical hit damage..."

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Oh by the way, after you beat the game, go back to where you fight Bloodwing, there's a surprise there.

I just did that, myself. It was disappointing, though! We were both Level 21, I threw down my turret and it blew the loving thing out of the sky before I knew it. Missile volleys are no joke.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

Is multiplayer just broken right now or am I missing something? I was able to connect to others launch night and into the coming day, but now I timeout every time.

Yes, it's fairly broken. Reposting this from a few posts up (at the bottom of the last page):

floor is lava posted:

Looks like we'll be getting a patch for the multilayer problems:

http://forums.gearboxsoftware.com/showthread.php?p=2785117#post2785117

ChrisF posted: posted:

Thanks again for the all the information on this folks, it's been extremely useful as we investigate what's causing this.

The team believes they may have identified what's causing a majority of the connectivity issues, and are currently in the process of implementing and testing a possible solution.

Once it's been thoroughly tested and verified to be working as intended, we'll roll out an update as soon as possible. Please note that this particular solution may not solve all the connectivity issues, as there are likely several different factors at play here including some things that are outside of our control like ISPs and hardware, but we'll continue to investigate and do everything we can.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Borderlands 2: KEY KEY KEY KEY KEY KEY KEY KEY or, "How I Stopped Caring About 87 Bazillion Guns and Became Obsessed with a Single Chest."

I just busted into the Caustic Caverns. This one place has more color, character, and atmosphere than most FPS games I've played in the last few years, and great music to match. Sometimes, Borderlands 2 feels like Gearbox took random ideas one step further, and made them a reality. Toxic pools? Make it so that giant bubbles form, which you can shoot so that they burst into toxic clouds. Generic super-aggressive dude? Make it so that you can turn him on his buddies, and he'll level up into a progressively larger and more ridiculous abomination. How do we make it clear that this is the Wal-Mart of gun manufacturers? How about, instead of reloading, you throw the loving weapon, and it explodes? And the more rounds that are left in the magazine, the more powerful the explosion?

This game. :allears:

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Yaos posted:

I think I've hit the end of the game. I don't have enough ammo to kill the constructor boss and all it's minions on the dam, but if I leave to get more ammo I have to go all the way back to the start of the area so everything will just respawn again. Not that it matters, I don't do much damage to the boss and there's about a bunch of minions, yet I had no problem killing everything before the boss.

Have you bought more ammo decks from the creep in Sanctuary?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Yaos posted:

Yes, I bought all the first ones, some of the 2nd ones for some of them.

What class are you playing as? I did that mission on singleplayer as an average-leveled Commando and had to fall back a few times, especially during cooldowns/when my turret got smashed. I found that using shock-based weapons really helped. Change your loadout (if you haven't already) to use shock-based MIRV grenades, and hotkey the hardest hitting, splashiest-damaging rocket launcher you can find. Open up with your rockets and grenades so that you can clear out most of the robots the Constructor generates. Don't reload if your weapons have a higher reload score than 3 or 4; pull out your next weapon.

You're going to have to get used to Constructors. This first one? It's just the beginning.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

epic funhaver posted:

Ugh, why are the cars in the game, did they add them after RAGE? They are loving awful and totally ruin any pacing and not cool and fun like the RAGE cars. Also this Power Station level is such a RAGE ripoff

They were in the original, pre-Rage game too. But it's odd, because I'm definitely getting a very Rage-vibe from driving around the Dust map.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

PhantomBowie posted:

Try playing with low levels on their missions around the time they unlock theirs. I got all four of mine by 13 this way...

In the original Borderlands, I seem to recall that only the host would unlock additional weapon slots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Midgets have so much personality that I weep whenever I am forced to kill one. Regular bandits (I call them "normies") eh...not so much. If their face is hidden behind a mask, I am incapable of feeling empathy for them. I also feel strangely dirty for killing the Volatile Crystalisks. It's like killing an elephant--a gorgeous, three-legged, bedazzled elephant.

Regarding Maliwan: They make revolvers, but they generally resemble Mateba revolvers in the sense that Mateba revolvers don't really look much like revolvers.

• Locked thread