Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Burning Mustache posted:

I wonder at which point game journalism will use ratings like 9.9975 / 10 for AAA titles and have the lowest scores it ever assigns (for utters turds of games) be like 8.0 / 10. The scale has certainly been shifting towards that for a couple of years now.

(For the record, I have no doubt that the game's gonna be great but I just don't see the point in major game magazine's rating scores or even reviews anymore)

Game Informer uses pretty much the entire scale, for what it's worth. I've seen perfect 10 ratings all the way down to ... 2?

Usually the really shittily rated games are in their "here's a stack of two-sentence reviews" in the back of the magazine, but they've dumped on some games in their full page reviews, too. I havn't found their reviews too outlandish*, although their previews are as super-positive as anyone else's.

* - I don't play sports games, so I can't comment on the accuracy of review scores for those.

Zurai fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Sep 11, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Amazing Member posted:

So we're a day out so now's a good time to ask; who else is going to be doing a multiplayer run for their first time? I really look forward to my first play through with goons since I did the same for the original and it was a MUCH more fun way to break out some gun action.

Or is this something I should put up in the bordergoons group in steam?

I'm honestly not sure of the protocol involved (thread, group chat, etc), but I'm interested in setting up/joining a MP group to play through with.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Found my first orange gun earlier:

Aside from using 4 ammo per shot and having a rate of fire of "slow", it's incredible. The zoom is really nice, and for its level it's extremely powerful. Also, I'm not positive, but it seems like it fractures into multiple explosive rounds on hitting something; I've fired a single shot and gotten multiple hits on big creatures, or at least that's what it looks like.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Got an absolutely insane shotgun off of the final boss in PT1:

It does use 4 ammo per shot, but it's a bandit gun, so it's actually got 4 shots per reload. It's seriously amazing to use.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Lumis posted:

Just so everyone is clear, some of those purple weapons aren't really purple weapons. The weapons that have a darker-colored purple name are E-Tech weapons (modified with Eridium). They don't indicate the rarity of the base gun.

Actually it's the lighter (pinker) purple that indicates E-Tech. The two colors are very, very similar, though. It's easy to mix them up.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Zedicus Mann posted:

Maybe the starter heads (and maybe even skins) are picked randomly?

Skins and heads are unlocked per account, not per character. In other words, you can use a Salvador head customization item to activate it for Salvador even if you havn't made one yet.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Schubalts posted:

He means the heads and skins you have when you start playing for the very first time. Some people didn't start with Breaking Bald for Salvador.

Yes. What happened is that he used the Breaking Bald customization item on another character, thus unlocking it when he made his Salvador.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

DNK posted:

I'm not entirely convinced there is a right choice in the murder mysteries.

There is. Although I'll admit to going "gently caress it, I'll just see if I can kill all of them at once with a rocket launcher" to the second one. Amusingly, it only killed one of them: the right one.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

BitBasher posted:

Really? I have never seen one of those.

There's precisely one. It's legendary. There's one type of shields that increases max health, but only the one orange that no one will use (because The Bee exists) which gives health regen.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Nehru the Damaja posted:

So uh... how the hell are you supposed to beat the final story boss for reals? I just found a convenient spot to cheese the fight.

There are four yellow glowing plates on his chest that cover the most easily accessible crit spot he has (he's also got one in his mouth but it's a bitch to hit). You can blow up any or all of those four plates with a couple solid hits from a decent gun, then pump damage into his weak point. Once he's taken enough damage, he'll go back under the lava, regardless of whether he's even attacked at all. If you've got a high enough damage gun, you can keep him from ever making an attack.

He's got five attacks. One's a fire breath, just hide behind a pillar, or optionally just stand in it if you have an Adaptive or fireproof shield. One's a slag laser beam from his tail, you can pretty safely ignore this one. He can climb up on a pillar and throw a giant rock at you; either shoot the rock or just hide behind something. He can rear back then slam the ground with his hands; just jump before his hands hit the ground and you won't take much damage and won't get thrown. Finally, he can stomp all the way across the battlefield, dealing massive damage and throwing you way the gently caress into the air; I don't know how to counter this one, and it can potentially one-shot you by flinging you into the lava.

A final tip: every time he submerges, he spawns a Volcanic Crystalisk if there are fewer than 2 alive. Don't bother killing them, but by all means do whack their legs in melee to get them to critical health. That way if the Warrior does drop you, you can switch to a shotgun or launcher and blow up a critical health Crystalisk to revive. There are constantly spawning Volcanic Rakks, too, but I find that the Crystalisks are way easier to kill in FFYL.

It's actually not a badly designed fight as long as you're not overgunned.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Genocyber posted:

With the right setup, a Gunzerker can kill Terramorphus in seconds...I'd say it's the most overpowered.

That's got very little to do with the Gunzerker. It's a prime example of The Bee being overpowered, though. I'm pretty sure any class can solo that boss in seconds using The Bee and whatever weapon they can get the most bullets in the air with.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Override skills are ones that change what the melee button does. Only Maya and Salvador have ones with cooldowns (final talent of the center tree and center talent of the right hand tree respectively). Zer0's Execute is an override skill, but it doesn't have a cooldown (or at least it doesn't say it does, I've never specced Bloodlust), so override cooldown relics don't do anything for it. Axton doesn't have an override skill.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

Is the last boss weak to fire or corrosive or anything?

He appeared to be weakest to explosive, to me. That's not saying a whole lot, but all other things being equal, my explosive pistol did the best against him (aside from the stupidly ridiculous bandit shotgun he dropped for my Zer0 that can actually one-shot him if I time and aim it perfectly). He strongly resists fire and doesn't take full damage from corrosive or shock.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Wait, I'm confused...you mean you've only gotten a single rocket launcher in 29 levels?

A single orange rocket launcher.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Gearbox has said that it is a class intended for people who "aren't very good at first-person-shooting in FPS games."

This is an aside to the point of your speculation, but that's not exactly true. The Mechromancer has one tree for people who aren't the best at FPS games. It's also got another tree that's supposed to be the most technical tree among the five classes, with lots of player skill based abilities and synergies. I havn't heard anything about the third tree, but I imagine it'll be somewhere between the two. It's a class for everybody, not just people who suck at FPSs.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Jusupov posted:

+5% is so insignificant how can you even tell it's working.

This. Going from, say, a 1% chance for an orange to drop to a 1.05% chance isn't something that's really testable.

Spaceman Future! posted:

There are a ton of good green drops, the devil is in the details though. An optimal green with high rolls on accuracy, elemental chance, and dot on elemental can kick a ton of blues specs asses depending on how it was rolled.

This, too. Green guns can and will be amazing. I've had greens be better than purples (and oranges, because oranges are generally more weird than numerically powerful with a few exceptions).

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Nevermind, didn't see the actual research done.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

YOURFRIEND posted:

That being said, how the gently caress do you deal with badass pyre threshers? There was one in the caustic caverns that killed me three loving times. It's just completely relentless with the way it follows you, brings down your shield, then throws whatever at you with unerring accuracy. Nothing else in the game has given me remotely as much trouble as that one rear end in a top hat.

A bunch of kunai followed by a Critikal Hit Overkil! (bandit shotgun with massive projectile count and a crit damage bonus) to the eyes from the last split second of Deception, followed immediately by a quick death and a full load of said shotgun and a rocket launcher from FFYL did it for me.

In other words, gently caress super badass pyre threshers.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

TheSpiritFox posted:

That would have been a great gameplay feature. Pay money and eridium to level a gun back up to your level.

No, it'd be a lovely one. The whole point of the game is looking for better guns. If all you have to do is find one good gun, what's the incentive to find new ones?

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Well, you'd still have to go out and play the game to get Eridium to upgrade your gun. And if you got your Eridium from the slots, you'd have to go out and play the game to get the money to play the slots. It would just give Eridium an actual function after level 25, when your SDU slots are maxed out. It wouldn't really be game breaking, and it would probably be a superior alternative to, "EVERBODY GEARBOX JUST RELEASED ANOTHER CODE ON TWITTER!"

Eridium is stupidly easy to get. The final boss drops ~20 per kill, and there are about 100 lootable objects in Sanctuary alone, all of which can drop Eridium.

I didn't say "having a use for Eridium would be lovely", though, so I'm not sure what your point is. Having a use for Eridium would be great. High-stakes slots that only take Eridium, for example, but always spit out blue+ quality gear on matches. Being able to just upgrade a gun to maximum item level at will is dumb regardless of whether it provides a use for Eridium because it eliminates the hook of the game.

Seriously, one of the main complaints people had about BL1, gameplay-wise, was that you could go through the whole game with a single gun that you found halfway through. That's exactly what the up-leveling thing would do: allow you to find one good gun partway through the game and never need to find another gun to replace it.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

TheSpiritFox posted:

Hello person who does not understand that their gaming experience is not the same as everyone elses and that other experiences can have equal validity!

Hello person who likes throwing out ad hominem attacks!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Agrajag posted:

I do not think you have a proper understanding of what an ad hominem is.

I suppose one could argue that it was a straw man instead.

The statement I quoted had nothing whatsoever to do with my post. It was solely an attempt to discredit me by attacking me rather than my point.

"Differing game experiences" has nothing to do with removing the loot factor from the game. Allowing you to simply upgrade your favorite gun throughout the game is entirely counter to the way the game is designed and built. This is a FPS Diablo-like. It's not Unreal, Far Cry, or Duke Nukem. Loot is a fundamental element of the game. Yes, the story and writing are very good, but you're going to see all of the story and writing by the end of TVHM. There's 0% difference in story between different characters. Gearbox wants people to keep playing the game (because it's easier to sell DLC and sequels the more time people play your game), which means they need a hook that lasts past the end of the story. Loot is that hook.

If you want to ignore loot, you already have tools to do that. Gearbox gives them out multiple times daily, and it's incredibly easy to abuse them for infinite high-enough tier loot. They're called golden keys.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

I think the problem with assault rifles would be solved with just an across-the-board damage buff, personally. Everything but SMGs do more damage per shot than ARs, and SMGs fire way faster. There definitely is a problem with ARs, though. They have the widest variety (normal ARs, miniguns, grenade launchers, torpedos, and blasters), but most of those just don't have the stats to be useful. Torpedos are too slow and too inefficient, blasters and miniguns don't usually have enough damage (and blasters tear through ammo), grenade launchers can be awkward to hit with at long range, and normal ARs don't have the damage OR the rate of fire to compete.

Buffing their damage by 10 or 15% across the board would make a lot of difference, IMO.

^^^
I can get 200 Eridium in like 15-20 minutes of farming. The PT1 final boss dies in two hits (would be one but he actually literally cannot be one-shot because he has to die in a certain position and only goes to that position at low health), and drops 15-30 Eridium per kill. You'd have to heavily nerf his Eridium drop rate, or implement lovely D3-style "only on first kill" loot. Even then, there are other really good places to farm Eridium.

But even then, fine, let's say you make Eridium really rare and make the price for the upgrade really high. What's the point then? If it's something you can do once per 20 hours of playing, then it's not at all what I originally responded to! People were asking for the ability to basically duplicate the CheatEngine cheat to level up all their gear. Making it absurdly hard doesn't at all fulfill that desire.

Zurai fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Oct 7, 2012

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

TheSpiritFox posted:

Hence, your original assertion that doing that "is stupid" or "misses the point" is wrong because it is not universally applicable and you are arguing like it is.

And you're also missing the point that you are asking for something that invalidates other peoples' play experience.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

The Bee really is horribly, obviously broken and overpowered. The best thing is, the fix is really easy and will bring The Bee down to a level that's still really good without making it so dramatically better than every other shield in the game: change the amp shield damage from 0 to 1.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Kyrosiris posted:

I don't see how it's an oversight or something that needs to be "fixed", though.

Like, unless you're an Axton with all the -Recharge Delay% talents, there are times and places for other shields. And if you're so worked up over "it's not challenging!!!! :qq:", then take it off.

Clearly there's no reason to be concerned about a piece of equipment that enables you to kill anything in the game (including bosses that are supposed to be 4-man "raid bosses") in just a couple of seconds. Nope, there's nothing wrong there, nothing to be fixed.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Klaus Kinski posted:

Yeah, bore instagibs are probably intended and not a bug. Especially the bullet_hit soundeffect playing 500 times when it triggers.

Yep. Again, they clearly intended that a boss they talked up as requiring a 4 man party with specific skill specs and top-end gear die in one shot because of a mid-tier skill in one specific skill tree. That's clearly what they intended and not broken at all. Doesn't need fixing, won't get fixed. Nope.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

T1g4h posted:

Really? Because again, i've seen people solo Craw from BL1 in minutes using one particular sniper rifle and a classmod that regens ammo. This item being OP affects you... how? Don't use it if you don't find it fun? Let those of us who like using goofy retarded bullshit in our singleplayer game have fun?

Hell, wasn't the whole Gearbox mentality "Fun trumps balance"?

OK, cool, here's your homing minigun BFG that kills everything in a 1 mile radius with one shot. Have fun.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

nerve posted:

http://www.mediafire.com/?a7jjvigr8tz2lvl

Sanctuary is in the sky right now, so you can't respec your skills until you get a bit further into the story, but it's currently specced all the way down the sniping tree.

Actually, I just discovered that there's a respec/customization station in Liar's Berg. It's across the bridge from where Claptrap and Hammerlock normally hang out. You should be able to get back to there at any point in the game.

It took me 5 characters and 7 total trips through Liar's Berg before I realized it was there, so I don't blame people for thinking the only customization station is in Sanctuary.

e: f;b

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Harmonica posted:

What's the accuracy drop off like when you have lots of Anarchy stacks? I decided to avoid that right tree altogether - at least this first time - due to it forcing you to take Anarchy (also because I want to see how insanely broken Deathtrap can get).

It's pretty dramatic. At 200 stacks, a shotgun that used to cover an area maybe the size of a marauder's torso at 30 feet now spreads over the length of a bandit technical or so at the same distance. I can still hit things at medium range with an accurate enough gun and some patience, but the Anarchy tree really seems built for getting up in things' faces and blowing their body apart with anything except sniper rifles and launchers.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

gibbed posted:

They were buffed so you can no longer one-shot their legs with a melee attack.

This is not quite correct. You need a melee weapon (ie a gun with +% melee damage) in order to one-shot their legs, but you can still do it. Any +% melee weapon will work, but without one you'll do next to do no damage.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Also, his death showed that Angel's death actually meant something to Jack -- not necessarily as a daughter, but at least as a vital tool. She was certain he was too much of a coward to face the Vault Hunters himself, and she was right -- right up until they killed her and took away his method of achieving his goal. It forced him from the role of backstage mastermind to up front and personal archvillain. Character growth, in a way.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Drakes posted:

Eh it really depends. People may want to play as group working together. Not some dude just obliterating everything before the other players even take a shot.

Zer0 does that much better than Gaige does. You have to get right up in their face to kill them as Gaige; she might as well be melee attacking once you get your Anarchy stacks up past 100 or so. Zer0 can annihilate anything he can see with a single shot that doesn't waver even a tiny bit from the targeting reticle and deals massive bonus critical damage (except Saturn, the one thing in the game without a crit point).

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Snicker-Snack posted:

Gaige is way better than Zero at "annihilating anything".

Possibly. But not "annihilating everything before anyone else can even take a shot", which is what I specifically bolded so that people could see what I was responding to in particular.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Snicker-Snack posted:

Okay: Gaige is way better at "annihilating everything before anyone else can even take a shot" than Zero. The rest of the post should remain the same.

Gaige has to run up into the enemies' faces to kill them. She has no gap closer and (assuming Anarchy is what everyone is crying about) absolutely no ranged attack past a couple feet. There is no possible way that she can kill everything before anyone else can take a shot at anything.

If you can't wreck an entire zone as Zer0, you just suck at Zer0. Even in TVHM I one-shot everything except super badasses, and those get two-to-three shot depending on what it is, or just get a fistful of kunai.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

YOURFRIEND posted:

As Zero my reticule sways a hell of a lot and I miss pretty frequently due to it.

Take 0ptics and Precisi0n in the Sniper tree (they're tier 1 and 2 talents respectively so easy to dip into) and you should have basically no sway ever with any gun. It even makes Hyperion snipers deadly accurate.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Incidentally, Hyperius is hard. He's also got an anti-revive mechanic (reduced health with each revive), which is dumb as gently caress since there's already an anti-revive mechanic (each successive FFYL without having actually died cuts the FFYL time in half).

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

BurningNinja posted:

So um, I killed Master Gee and he dropped a purple gun and some ammo, so they sometimes don't even feel like dropping the new currency! whether or not it's a bug it's pretty dumb considering how boring it was and long it took.

You got lucky. I got exactly nothing from him. No loot at all, not even a single pile of money. The entire room was empty.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

PageMaster posted:

Is anyone getting anything worthwhile out of that room? Knox was worth multiple runs since you could get orange weapons out of crates and there were tons of them, but all I got in this DLC run were a bunch of blues that were outclassed by my current loadout.

I got half a dozen or so purples. I think one of them was even an upgrade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

-Troika- posted:

How much stuff is in the seraph crystal shop? Will the stuff in there refresh or is the stuff that's in it it?

There is 1 pistol (it rocks), 1 shotgun, 2 SMGs, 1 assault rifle, 1 rocket launcher (it sucks rear end), 1 sniper rifle, 1 shield, and 1 relic. Which are available is random, although the relic is always present. The pistol and rocket launcher are Torgue, so always explosive, and the shotgun is always corrosive. The sniper, SMGs, and AR can be any element or non-elemental, but cannot be explosive. The inventory refreshes on a 20 minute timer just like every other vendor.

e: The pistol (red text: Hail) has an insane rate of fire for a Torgue. I have one that's double barreled with a 16 round clip and it empties the entire clip in about 3 seconds. The rocket launcher fires a harpoon which explodes shortly after making contact with something, similar to the harpoon on the hovercraft. Unfortunately, it doesn't travel very far at all unless you arc it, which makes it basically useless. The shotgun, assault rifle, and one of the SMGs are E-tech, but don't use multiple ammo per shot.

Zurai fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Oct 17, 2012

• Locked thread