Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

Is anyone else experiencing the "Borderlands 2 launcher has stopped working" error? I've done everything I can think of, reinstalled graphics drivers, validated the game files, even uninstalled and completely reinstalled. Nothing.

I'm glad I only spent $36 on this because if I had paid full price I'd be fuming right now. As it is I'm only exasperated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

I'm finally able to play this game. I sent support tickets to 2k and Gearbox the morning of release after spending almost 10 hours uninstalling, reinstalling, repairing redists, and verifying the game cache. Neither of them ever got back to me. Every time I tried to launch the game I got an error stating "Borderlands 2 launcher has stopped working." Finally I find this:

quote:

Create a .txt file in notepad and write the numbers '49520' without the ' '. Save it as 'steam_appid.txt' and save it in your Steam directory 'Steam\steamapps\common\Borderlands 2\Binaries\Win32' and run Borderlands2.exe as admin.

And I do it and the game works. I have no idea why putting the steamapp ID in that folder changes anything but lo and behold :psyduck:

Bilal fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Sep 19, 2012

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

Level 21, still haven't gotten a single orange drop :sigh:

Rhaegar posted:

Worked for me after I enabled port forwarding for UDP ports 50000 - 65536.

I was having an issue where I could flawlessly connect to one guy in my friends list, and then when I tried to connect to my other friend it would always time out. I enabled DMZ on my router and then I could connect to the second guy no problems.

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

Sostratos posted:

I played through the entire campaign, did every side quest, and didn't see a single legendary item drop until I killed the boss at the end. He dropped a legendary shield that I replaced before I got to Sanctuary in playthrough 2. Are drop rates really that bad unless you play co-op?

It seems so. I'm level 23 and playing mostly solo, haven't seen a single orange drop still. I've gotten maybe 3 or 4 purples along the way. I had to use my golden chest weapons for like 7 or 8 levels.

I have friends to play with, but I hate skipping around missions in the main campaign, it throws me off. I played with a friend who was a few levels ahead of me and when I went back to singleplayer I had all these sidequests done and story missions done but then I had the choice to redo them and :psyduck:

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

Tiny Tina? Embarrassingly unfunny. Loggins? Was decently funny, but definitely not clever or subtle at all. Claptrap? Not hilarious, but I don't mind the little dude at all.

There ARE lines that are funny in this game: it's all the enemy dialogue. "PLEASE DON'T SCAVENGE MY STUFF!" "THIS IS THE LAST THING I'LL SAY!" :allears:

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

I'm far enough into the game to know that "you get an objective, something goes wrong, you have to do something else to complete the original objective" is kind of the game's thing, but I swear sometimes it gets to the verge of self parody.

:reject: : Alright Vault Hunter, you need to go over and climb that ladder.
*walk over to the ladder*
:monocle: : Oh no! The ladder just fell over, spontaneously! Now you can't climb it for some reason! Guess you'll have to go to these three stations and fight through waves and waves of loaders to artificially extend this mission :jerkbag:

Quests like the main story missions make me want to just replay Shooty McFace over and over again. Never ending quest chains gets old real quick. You can't even just do the side quests to take a break from it all because the side quests can get just as annoyingly padded as the main quests (I was shouting "END! JUST END ALREADY" at the Clan Wars missions a la MST3K Manos.)

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

So when do zones level up with my character? I went back to farm the (main plot spoiler) Bunker at level 31 and he's still level 28. Also I went back to the Bloodshot Stronghold and the guys there are still level 12. Is there a certain threshold I need to hit?

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

The Gunslinger posted:

I really wish they would tweak the loot drops, even with a 4 player game I usually only see green poo poo 99.9% of the time. It's loving depressing when I feel like I should be cheating the golden chest like everyone else just to have fun. The few times I do have good luck I tend to get poo poo 3-4 levels under me. Just did a huge story mission thing that took like 40 minutes and in the end we got a blue shield and lovely blue revolver, both several levels under us. Thanks!

I farmed the final boss, killing it ten times over, and after all that I finally got a legendary drop!

:suicide:

The drop rates need a serious adjustment. In a game about getting cool, rare loot, it's not fun if you never get cool, rare loot. The fact that people are stumbling over themselves to cheat themselves infinite golden keys is indicative of a problem, and that problem is not that :qq:the key was in the ignition and the players just couldn't help themselves!:qq:

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

40 Proof Listerine posted:

Also, to folks looking for kickass assault rifles, go with Torgue in playthrough 2. The explosive damage is huge and they can still get critical hits. The synergy with a Rifleman mod on Axton is insane. This bad boy I found right before Boom and Bewm carried me through the mid-40s, when I upgraded to a bigger version that's rated for 3800 damage. I've got a second minigun with 1500 damage as well rated for level 38, put both of those in the stash for the Gunzerker when he hits TVHM.

A couple of people have already pointed out that BL2 seems way less "random" with its loot drops than the first game, and that they've found multiple identical guns. This confirms it for me because I just got that EXACT rifle, with identical stats, in playthrough 2.

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

XarsonX posted:

I'm am just coming from the perspective of BL1, where I found quite a few oranges in chests and from drops. I understand they wanted to make them more rare, but I don't really have that in my mindset just yet. I still sort of expect them to appear every now and again, especially from boss fights.

The way I see it, it's like buying a racing game with an awesome Bugatti on the box art. You want to race the car on the box. 50 hours into the game, you're still racing a Honda Civic.

That's how I feel with my BL2 loot. I don't think it's a big deal, though; all the really cool stuff is going to be in the DLCs for sure.

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

ded posted:

Axton with a nazi hat. Oh my.

That style of officer's cap wasn't exclusively worn by Nazis. I think Gearbox knows a little better than to cater to Nazi uniform fetishists like that.

I think.

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

Yahtzee liked Dragon Age 2 and wears a fedora, so that's really all that needs to be said about Yahtzee.

As far as Borderlands 1 goes, I played it on the 360 for about 2 and a half hours and thought the game was irredeemably bad; a boring slog of shooting so many bandits and skags that I was actually running out of ammo all the time. I stuck to my conclusion and eagerly badmouthed the game anytime the subject came up. Through some act of divine interference, I saw someone post the GMG code to buy the game for $36 USD, and my impulse control went out the window.

I'm glad it did, too, because I was hooked on BL2 the instant I picked up my first Jakobs revolver and fanned all six rounds into a bandit spaghetti Western style :allears:

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

So for those of you lamenting the fact that assault rifles just aren't that great in this game, the only advice I can give you is to hit the golden chest:

This is the best assault rifle I've picked up so far. It's eridium tech/corrosive, and the projectile speed and rate of fire are insane; I can use it to shoot rakk and surveyors out of the air pretty easily because the shots move so fast, and the 11.0 rate of fire is faster than my blue Vladof TMP (which has a fire rate of like 9.7.) On top of that, the shots ricochet and the corrosive damage is deceptively good, even though it's 50 it just shoots so fast. This gun kills level 17 Badass Loaders in about 3.5 seconds.

I gunzerk with this and a Hyperion slag shotgun and everything just melts away, but it's really not necessary because you don't need the slag bonus damage because it kills so fast anyway.

The only downside is the ammo usage, even with upgraded Assault Rifle SDUs I run out of ammo in just a few fights.

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

Noni posted:

I just had a quest item fly off of the map. It was part of some quest involving auto parts. Just as I blew up a jeep, the driver decided to drive off a cliff. The minimap shows it as laying somewhere out in the netherworld. What can I do?

In my opinion the best thing to do is just to let the matchmaker find an open game for you. Most of the time it pairs you with someone who is at or around the same quest you're on.

I've done this a couple of times to jump ahead in quest chains I didn't want to replay.

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

GunblazeGriffin posted:

Again, I don't get the all-out hatred for her; I certainly wouldn't go that far.

It's not the character that's worth hating. It's the fact that someone at Gearbox wrote the character and thought she would be hi-larious and totally Wacky and Endearing!

Tiny Tina would be an excellent character if it's obvious that she's supposed to be an annoying 13 year old girl. The problem is you can tell that whoever wrote her dialogue was totally fantasizing how everyone would get to her mission and say "wow, that's awesome!!!! what a hilarious character!!!!" out loud.

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

Nurge posted:

I love how much better and more varied shotguns are this time around overall compared to the first Borderlands.

I use shotguns and pistols more than any other weapon class in the game. At any given time I'll have one sniper, one assault rifle, and a launcher in my inventory, and three or four shotguns and possibly more than four pistols.

Double barrels are fun to use, and Bandit shotguns are fun to use, but the best shotguns I've had in the game are Hyperion. Shotguns with 0 spread on the third shot are better for mid range fighting than almost any SMG I've gotten.

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

Welp, Steam tried to download the Mechromancer DLC and something broke. When I launch the game I get a corrupt DLC error. Revalidated the game cache twice, did nothing either time.

I guess I didn't care about playing that class anyway. :argh:

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

From page 199:

HyperHopper posted:

Did that and it didnt work

E: twice, and it gives me more files everytime

Also did you ever release your savegame editor?

I had the same problem. Just verifying the game cache does nothing. For some reason Steam is broken when it comes to my BL2 game files. I verified the cache twice with no change. Then I had an idea and deleted the entire DLC folder in the BL2 directory. I verified the cache a third time (with the folder gone) and it redownloaded the entire folder and my DLC was no longer corrupt.

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

Ceive posted:

What the heck is going on?! I load up my 13 Siren, and open a chest. I get this:

and finally I smacked a pile of crud and a purple bandit technical skin pops out. All in the span of 5 minutes. Also I rolled a 3-Marcus on the slot machine last night. This is nuts.

The new patch tweaked the drop rates. You're far more likely to get blue and purple drops now. After about 2 nights of playing, my gunzerker has a backpack full of blue, purple, and e-tech guns. My first playthrough on Axton, pre-patch, I went through the entire game with nothing but greens and the occasional blue.

Still haven't run into an orange drop yet. If they boosted the chance for an orange to drop, it wouldn't really be noticeable anyway, since the chance was so small to begin with.

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

dis astranagant posted:

Sorry but anything SMGs can do pistols and assault rifles can do better. Slagga and Lascaux are as good as they get (and kinda decent). None of the legendary SMGs are much good at all, especially the Emperor.

SMGs have huge ammo pools, making them ideal for two things: Tediore reloads and plasma casters. I max out my SMG ammo storage ASAP and grab the best Tediore I can find and use it exclusively as a hand grenade. The instant damage is just so good for taking out tough enemies.

Etech assault rifles are a serious drain on resources because, even maxed out, they just use up ammo too quick. You can carry so much ammo with an SMG that I use plasma casters as much as possible and still never run critically low on ammo.

On my Salvador I got a Dahl corrosive Etech SMG at level 25 that I used all the way to the final boss at level 33 and it never left my equip slot. Thing was still melting Super Badass Loaders at Hero's Pass.

edit:

Just finished a second playthrough on a Gunzerker after having played the first as a Commando. This is the first FPS I've played in a long time where the second playthrough was just as fun as the first. Mechromancer next :toot:

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

I'm not too far into the game yet, but for me it looks like Mechromancer is an easier class to play than Commando.

I hit an early-game difficulty spike around Southpaw Steam and Power where I could barely stay out of FFYL, but once once I got 5 points into Close Enough and a good Torgue shotgun, I don't even have to aim.

Do you have 150 stacks? Is there an enemy on the screen? Good, click mouse1. Bam, at least one pellet is guaranteed to ricochet into a bandit and oneshot them. Badass enemies? Two shots and they're down. Killing two enemies with one shot happens pretty often too.

And then on top of that, you have Deathtrap, who is at least as good as an un-upgraded commando turret. It's double-easy mode.

I'm thinking that I'll go down Ordered Chaos enough to get the 400 Anarchy cap, then go down the left side to upgrade Deathtrap as much as possible. Something like this:

Any ideas on what I could do with the last 12 points?

Bilal fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Oct 13, 2012

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

Witchfinder General posted:

Speaking of which, I didn't realize it, but you can get Law revolvers as regular drops? I picked one up from the sheriff in Lynchwood, I figured it was just a quest reward thing.

You can. As far as I can tell, it's only the Sheriff that drops them, along with Sheriff's Badge relics. I can't find a screenshot of it, but I think I got a level 30 somethin' Law that I farmed. Might be misremembering because that was on my first playthrough.

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

Simon Draskovic posted:

Re: The spoilered story stuff above, I barely played Borderlands for 30 minutes, and didn't realize until just now that Roland, Lilith, etc., were the main characters from the first game. It kind of makes me wish I'd played the first one all the way through, but... I'm also kind of glad that I didn't. Because drat if that isn't a kick in the dick. :(

In my opinion the first game was really, really boring and I gave up in disgust after playing it for less than like nine hours.

There's plenty of ECHO logs around the game that give you the story of the first game. I think Mordecai's This Just In quest gives you three or four.

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

theshim posted:

Around 90 stacks and suddenly Gaige starts muttering "don't accidentally reload, don't accidentally reload, don't accidentally reload!"

I love this game :allears:

A couple hours of using Tediores as my go-to weapons trained me well for the Anarchy tree. At level 20 with Gaige, I haven't accidentally reloaded once. :toot:

It's pretty genius how BL2 approaches the FPS- Hyperion guns with negative recoil, Tediore guns that waste ammo if you compulsively reload them, some guns don't even have ironsights on their models, etc; It's all designed to take normal FPS conventions and turn them on their head.

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

Skaw posted:

I think you meant to say "Tediore Guns that are Grenades that have bullets you can shoot if you don't want to throw them at the sacrifice of explosion damage." :colbert:

Yeah, I learned that they're much more effective when used as a bottomless bin of grenades. But when I first started using Tediores, I did what I was trained to do by other FPSes; always keep it fully loaded. I couldn't figure out why I was burning through all my ammo so quickly when it hit me that when I was throwing the guns away, all the ammo that was in them wasn't put back in my ammo pool, it was gone.

After I figured that out :downs: I got much more disciplined with the reload key. Like I said, really helpful on a Gaige playthrough.

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

Downloaded the DLC at 7:30 PM EST, just finished it now. Rushed through the main story missions, saving all side missions for later.

It wasn't bad, it just wasn't great. It was just really, really okay. Didn't really add new types of loot or content other than the new seraph weapons (which I've only taken a look at by cheating myself tons of crystals because I'm not level 50 yet). Didn't really add new types of enemies or anything that really stands out from the base game. Really underwhelming.

I guess I'm really spoiled by the New Vegas DLCs. Kinda regret spending the full ten bucks on it when I could've just waited for the Steam Christmas sale.

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

Agrajag posted:

How'd you cheat yourself crystals?

Here's the updated Cheat Engine table: http://forum.cheatengine.org/viewtopic.php?p=5418871#5418871 It includes a pointer for the seraph crystals.

TShields posted:

To be fair, you're probably supposed to take it easy and not rush the whole thing..

Yeah, I just wanted to get the main story missions done in one night because I won't be able to play again this week. I skipped all but 3 of the sidequests, so hopefully there are some in there that are worthwhile.

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

I really hope there's a patch that fixes guns that only hold 1 shot being unusable with Smaller, Lighter, Faster. I've had to throw away 4 Jakobs shotguns that would have been great with my Anarchy Gaige except for the fact that when I try to use them, they only have a maximum of 0 shells. :sigh:

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

Wheeee, Legendary weeked for me. Sawtooth Cauldron produced a Straight-Shooting' Maggie and a <somethingorother> Shredifier, both drops; stooging around Lynchwood elementing Bandits for Hyperion let me find a Legendary Siren mod sitting in a car trunk.

I bought and played the crap out of this game on release, put in about 100 hours, then hadn't touched it after Blops 2 came out. I never got an orange drop legit, I had to use a cheat engine table. I reinstalled over the weekend, and in one afternoon of playing I got 2 legit orange drops on two different characters. :iiam:

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

Kaethela posted:

If there are specific weapons you want, then safe yourself the hassle and use gibbed's editor to give yourself them.

Gibbed's editor doesn't work on my machine. I'm not sure what the deal is, but I've reinstalled and repaired my .net framework over and over, and nothing's worked. It crashes as soon as I try to run it. At least CE tables work.

It's still a pain in the rear end to slog through the early game though. I'm at level 50 on Gaige near the last few quests in TVHM and the past few levels have been a pain in the rear end. The fact that loaders exploding when I kill them knock me into FFYL means I'm constantly bleeding stacks. On PT1 I could get 250 stacks no problem, now I have trouble getting to 50 unless I want to flagellate myself by grinding stacks on the target in the shooting range.

I'd love to ditch Gaige and start a playthrough on Maya but the thought of just having to get through the first five levels is making my tongue roll into the back of my throat.

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

Party Boat posted:

Here's a level 14 Maya I started using in a co-op game that went nowhere: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/13293465/Save0006.sav

You're the best :cheers:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

Lemon Curdistan posted:

That just means it's time to move away from maximum anarchy and go to a playstyle that only uses anarchy stacks to fuel Discord.

I sort of experimented with using Discord for that reason, where previously I only used it as a failsafe to make sure I didn't accidentally remove all my stacks. It's hard because I was using Anarchy as a crutch to make having underleveled gear not matter; even if my guns were 3 or 4 levels behind the damage multiplier from having a ridiculous number of anarchy stacks made them usable. I had to grind BNK-3R a couple of times just to get some good purples that were at my level.

• Locked thread