Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Keybinds are in the profile file, are they not?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

5er posted:

Exploiting the golden keys as described earlier was patched the first time, but the 'unlockid=1', 2 3 and 4 were still working for me. After Tuesday's DLC however the game bitched at me for having 'corrupt files'. I let it do a file check, it fixed one file, then it would let me use Gaige. I backed out, checked the ini file, and added 1, 3 and 4 back in there (2 I think represented the preorder bonus which I was properly entitled to). Went back to the game, and it crabbed at me very specifically that I was trying to access entitlements I wasn't privileged for. Exited game, fixed the .ini to remove 1, 3 and 4, and it went back to working.

I don't necessarily miss that stupid cosmetic firecracker grenade mod, but I wouldn't have minded the extra head & skin for Gaige.
I think that only worked if you played the game before they patched out the INI stuff in the first week. I never got to play the unpatched game and despite of editing the INI, I never got access to the creature dome arena (Can't we get rid of stupid preorder stuff you can only get in specific countries?). I think this patch simply disabled it for people who had it "activated" before.

Kyrosiris posted:

Speaking of Deathtrap, I'm not the only one that lets him off on a rampage while I run off another direction to loot chests/boxes/whatever, am I? :shobon:
I do that all the time, it's awesome. Deathtrap is really an amazing action skill compared to stationary turrets or taking one enemy out of the fight temporarily.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Saturnity posted:

Silly question: Do you still get badass points for a specific challenge after completing its highest Rank? Getting a little paranoid that all of this save game-swapping has screwed with my badass level, but I haven't been paying that much attention to it until now to really notice.
On the same character? No. Every character tracks challenges separately though, so you can repeat them and gain badass ranks and tokens on new/different characters.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Quests in PT1 don't scale at all right? My new mechromancer is already outpacing the quest levels (just rescued Roland again), and new quests in Sanctuary and elsewhere all pop up in the journal as "undiscovered, level 13" while I'm approaching level 20, without me ever touching the NPCs who give them.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
After building some loot with the editor I have to say I'm a bit disappointed with the amount of viable customization options we have available this time, especially in weapon skins.

There are a bunch of neat looking models that only exist for green or white weapons (eg.), like the Maliwan SMGs without the silly round magazine, and item skins are fixed per item quality (excluding unique weapons/legendaries).

In BL1 it used to be possible to apply the manufacturer's material colors to all but unique weapons even if that came with slightly reduced performance, but it was still a purple weapon with a red skin. Or a black skin. Now my Hyperion gun is either blue-quality with a green/yellow skin. Or an epic in black/yellow.

Still, I'm having a lot of fun building my own items, screw the MMO RNG, thank you Gibbed.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

fennesz posted:

If anyone bought this game during the Steam sale, for the love of loving god, disable Steam Cloud for this game. I just went from level 12 to level 4 because of a save file discrepancy. loving obnoxious.
I have mine on, it's just not working for me half the time anyway - I often get an error claiming it couldn't connect or sync, so it doesn't upload my latest progress. Then it notices the date discrepancy later and wants me to pick one or the other.

However, unless you're playing on more than one computers the right answer is always "pick local files" and that way you shouldn't ever lose progress unless you actually lost your local files somehow and Steam Cloud copies old backups over.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Orange Crush Rush posted:

edit: while I am expressing my criticisms as a Paying Customer™, I also can't shake the feeling that the guns themsevles took a step backwards. Outside of a handful on Uniques and Oranges (which you will like, never find) all the guns within a manufacturer feel so god damned the same to me. Like once you get past the whole "gently caress YES EXPLODING SHOTGUN" feeling, you realize that all Torgue Shotguns fire the same, and all Hyperion Shotguns fire the same, all Jakobs shotguns fire the same etc.
Pretty much, yeah. Also, after a short while you've seen the handful of different models and the one skin per quality per manufacturer.

There are a few decisions I have a really hard time understanding (limited replayability on the same character, MMO-like droprates and boss farming with lockouts, rat thieves, the tiny inventory and trying to enforce it), especially compared to all the improvements to the first game they made otherwise.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Yeah both of these are expensive, especially compared to the other DLC, but then again there will be Steam sales soon. Pricing them like eg. Just Cause 2 DLC would probably be fairer (come on, it's a useless fireworks grenade + heads/skins you can already get for free from friends with the collector's edition).

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Yeah they're very specific in a way the gear calculator/editor doesn't show. I found that out the hard way when I was trying to make an allegiance relic - they require a particular ArtifactType and only work with one or two effects or they get removed on load. Crushed my dreams of using a damage/fire rate/reload speed relic :(

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

platero posted:

Anyone else have an issue with weapons using the wrong amount of ammo? I've bought a few shotguns that didn't mention 3/4 ammo per shot, but then they do :(

It's a pain, since one of them cost me like 60 torgue bucks.
It's not so much "using the wrong amount of ammo" but the "uses x ammo per shot" text is missing from certain part combinations. The parts and their effects are consistent (as qnqnx says, if they have x barrels they use x ammo per shot, and all of them do) but the tooltip isn't.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
You won RNG, congratulations.

CJacobs posted:

Most of the problem with TVHM comes from the fact that, unlike BL1's second playthrough, this one is basically like starting a new game. You keep all your original equipment but good luck trying to keep using it after a few levels. It's less like playthrough 2 and more like harder-playthrough-1. That's not a BAD thing, it's just, the game does it differently than a some people are used to.
It's actually a bad thing if there is nothing between the first playthrough/easy mode with fixed quest- and area levels (in which you spend more time overlevelled to everything and everyone than not) and a second playthrough/hardcore difficulty that actually scales opponents and gear, but in a completely dumb way. At least Borderlands 1 replays scaled more gradually than that (but oh gosh, we could use a gun for more than two levels and apparently that was bad).

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
So your stance is "you guys are farming wrong, it's not RNG". Okay. :downswords:

TyroneGoldstein posted:

Its sort of a pain in the rear end to do all that invisible wall walking/hit box skimming (or whatever you want to call it), especially when the prizes aren't much better than other chest drops.
Honestly at that point I'd just use Cheatengine or gibbed's editor than jump through hoops and borderline-exploits to make Not-RNG less annoying.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I think the only legendary I've gotten from bosses was a bonus package on my first character at level 4. After playing through the game a couple more times (never particularly farming bosses though) for over 200 hours, nothing.

The thing is I don't even particularly have a problem with rare weapons, but with the requirement to replace my whole arsenal every 1-2 levels in late TVHM. I don't really want to do this, let alone farm bosses MMO-style for it. Also the only other weapons with unique effects being tied to quests you can only do twice on a character is dumb.

ARPG or not, they copied the wrong Diablo/MMO elements to me.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Collector's Edition pack is a waste of money. The grenade mod shoots useless fireworks, heads and skins can be traded with people who have that edition and get the head and skin with every new character.

Creature Slaughterdome is a third arena, this one in the wildlife reservation annex, and it's the worst of the three (think badass fire threshers, stalkers, etc.). Don't spend money on it (if you really want it you can get the reward rocket launcher from people who own the DLC or just add it in with an editor).

Mechromancer is really good (too good).

I got the season pass for 10.50 EUR from GMG, fully expect it to be not worth that much to me, but on the other hand I already spent quite a bit of time with the base game so I can justify that purchase easily.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
That's not really a problem.

Cheat Engine, especially the Borderlands 2 table, is really easy to use. You launch the program, select the process (borderlands2.exe), attach the table which you can find here: http://forum.cheatengine.org/viewtopic.php?t=557381 - you just have to look for updated tables (not sure if those in the OP are). Then it's a question of double-clicking the values in the list of cheats to alter them.

One guy updates tables (the .ct file) on his google drive: https://docs.google.com/folder/d/0B_f11g1DlLhDYk00c3VJejVjV0U/edit

orcane fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jan 7, 2013

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Unless you entered the map from a place that doesn't have a teleporter. Like the transition to the Hyperion arena :argh:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
It used to be stored to the savegame or profile, but I think a few patches ago they started sanity-checking it and reset the inventory/bank values to the regular maximum if you load the savegame so you'd have to run CE constantly to keep the edited values. The game won't delete items if your limit goes back to normal though, you'll just have eg. 50/27 items and no room for new stuff until you delete some.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
If the lack of drops or the wonky scaling starts getting to you, consider using a Cheat Engine script or gibbed's editor to level up your weapons, instead of going out to grind and risk losing the rest of your motivation.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
In normal it's reasonable (except you're fighting level ~36 enemies so if you're 50 there's not a lot of challenge left), but I really struggle to understand Gearbox' thought process. They have the whole ARPG loot/level progression = motivation thing completely backwards.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
However, it's a bit silly to scale new DLC enemies to player+4 in TVHM where scaling is already pretty harsh, before that level cap raise patch is out.

Regarding gibbed's editor, is there a way to change the Set ID field to make DLC items? Right now the only way I found is changing DLC items imported from paste codes.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
No gibbed's editor just allows you to combine the different weapon parts, the game will delete invalid combinations and you can't actually tell the game what the part does. That means you can make a Hellfire with all Maliwan parts for bonus elemental damage, but you can't change it to shoot explosive bullets instead of fire.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Starting TVHM is the only full progress reset, afterwards all you can do is start a new character if you want to redo quests.

It's also possible to reset quests with gibbed's editor I think, but it's not entirely intuitive and you'd have to do it everytime you complete the quest again.

orcane fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jan 18, 2013

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Ssthalar posted:

Have anyone ever seen a Vladov SMG?
Or should I just assume that since Vladov pistols is essentially SMG's in all but name, that they never made actual SMGs for that company?
Not all manufacturers make all weapon types, Jakob, Vladof and Torgue don't make SMGs. I'd love to have Maliwan ARs or Torgue sniper rifles, but alas.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
There is no real third playthrough you can start, but if you finish the story in TVHM all the remaining quests you didn't accept yet, and the zones/enemies will scale to level 50.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Peewi posted:

Do all class mods come in purple or just some specific ones? Having bonuses to three skills instead of two, without using a different kind of mod, would be nice.
They all come in purple but most of them aren't worth it because the third stat is bad. You're usually better off with blue class mods giving you +6/+5 to two good skills instead of +5/+4 with another +4 to a bad skill.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

AHungryRobot posted:

God, I just want one playthrough where I'm at the level cap and so are all the enemies and quests so I don't have to worry about what's too easy/too hard and what has good loot/bad loot.

Seriously, what's wrong with auto-scaling in normal mode? At least within a few levels. Half the time everything is trivial, all the loot you get sucks because it's 10 levels too low. Then you do another story quest and open up a fuckton of new sidequests. They will be hard temporarily, until you finish some of them, outlevel and trivialize the rest, and have to wait for the next story step for new quests to appear and level up again. And most of the previous areas are completely pointless once you outlevelled them, until you play TVHM.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Yeah I'm sorry but this is a dumb fix for a problem that was a function of several issues to begin with. Classes were in many ways more restricted in regards of what weapons were actually useful to them, and bad RNG meant you could go for ages without finding another weapon that matched your class/playstyle.

In such a system an optimal weapon is worth just so much more than some random green/blue gun. They had three knobs to turn to address this - decrease the effect of "optimal" loot through mechanics changes, smooth RNG and change scaling. They changed the mechanics with new classes and guns for the better, decided RNG wasn't quite bad enough yet for worse, and still went full retard with scaling.

I'm pretty sure people could have lived with moderate scaling to avoid extreme cases like "use that one drop for half the game" but having to use new trash greens every 1-2 levels just because the scaling and fake difficulty gets completely ridiculous, no thanks.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Male Man posted:

I think you've misunderstood me. I'm not defending the scaling, only explaining why it is the way it is.

Also I'm not entirely sure what fake difficulty is?
I didn't mean to imply you're defending it, I'm just saying "we had to do something" isn't a good explanation for "we did it in a completely terrible way".

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Creature Dome is totally overpriced for just adding a third arena location with the worst kinds of enemies you can have in said arena.
The collector's edition pack is even more overpriced for getting one skin/head per character and a useless grenade mod that's not a grenade.
The skin DLCs are also overpriced and you have enough skins to collect/use in the base game for a while.

The season pass is okay if you can get it with a noticeable discount. I think the DLC areas are nice in playthrough 1 if you want more Borderlands 2 without running all the same missions again with a new character or starting playthrough 2. They're not stellar though.

The Mechromancer pack adds a really fun (slightly overpowered) fifth class with a unique mechanic, for 10$ it's worth it no matter if you use it to replay the game, or to do a first/only playthrough.

Technically none of the DLC is required to enjoy the game though, it's perfectly fine with the four base classes in playthrough 1.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Use gibbed's editor and cheat yourself some eridium if the lack of ammo is making you want to stop playing. I agree some weapons have insanely low carrying capacity (even if you upgrade it to the maximum).

And early guns are terrible, whites of course, greens too, and blues are rare and below level 10 or so they're all weak in general. I pretty much can't stand the glacier/Three Horns part anymore, even just doing it a 2nd time was annoying.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Reiley posted:

I have a level 50 Siren and somewhere between the Bunker fight and sometime after reaching 2.5 I realized the number window wasn't popping up when I picked up loot anymore because I had 99 eridium and nothing left to spend it on, so it was just disappearing. Ammo is plentiful if you open tons of the little boxes along your route as well, so I don't think lack of eridium or reserve ammo limitations are really good reasons to cheat yourself a pile of ridrock unless you're just really bad at putting bullets in bandits and hitting E.
He's specifically talking about the early game though in which you neither have that amount of eridium yet nor talents which help you conserve ammo. It's not like it would break his late-game experience.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Reiley posted:

I was also talking about over the course of the entire game. That was the window where I realized I hit the eridium cap after maxing all ammo reserves, but even before that being dry on ammo has never really been a problem. I mean yeah you get one gun running empty at an inopportune time but fortunately you have one to three other guns immediately on your person and they all have ammo reserves as well. It seems like a silly reason to hack the game when there's more ammo than you know what to do with laying everywhere, from level 1 on through to endgame.
That's super but still misses the point I was addressing. The guy had troubles with ammo early, and using a savegame editor to frontload storage upgrades is hardly hacking the game. Sure it's generally unnecessary but I'd say it's preferable to getting fed up well before things get better.

Whether being anal about opening every single container and switching to other guns works is irrelevant in context with the poster's experience - apparently he wasn't quite finding enough of his favourite weapon's ammo, and he also stated his auxiliary weapons were weak or had the same ammo issues.

The tools are out there so I'd consider using them instead of getting angry at the game and Gearbox' strange decisions. Obviously third party tools are overkill if these things don't bother you.

orcane fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Feb 13, 2013

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
That's why I like the Gearbox weapons, sure they'll get replaced very soon but at least I start with three guns that aren't pistols.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I have a hard time following how you got the idea that being annoyed with one or the other aspect of the game should mean the whole thing sucks and we shouldn't even play it. Clearly people like it enough to try to circumvent some unnecessarily dumb design decisions, I'm pretty sure if the "pure" experience sucked completely they wouldn't even bother. Get over yourself.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
It's possible to hack that in with Cheat Engine but the game will reset it back to the intended maximum (on load, I think?) since a couple patches ago, so you'll need to run CE alongside the game constantly.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Well the first playthrough doesn't really scale, non-DLC content and zones have fixed levels depending on where you are with the story. So it's easy to overshoot the DLC levels if you're thorough with the base game and previous DLC.

It's too bad there's nothing between that and bulletsponge mode.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Not_Log posted:

I'm fairly certain the only ones that are blocked are the Sanctuary ones during that one brief period.
Also Lilith's from a certain part of the bunker quest until the end. I'm pretty sure her quests were blocked for me after upgrading Claptrap and getting objective to meet him in Thousand Cuts, even though I was still in Sanctuary and she was still up in the HQ.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Ciaphas posted:

I got a legendary grenade (a MIRV of some sort, I forget the name) off of Boom Bewm my first time through. Literally level six and I had a ten-way warhead. Don't remember which character it was, though.

Since I'm not likely to get more than a third of the way through the game ever, that was kinda nice :v:
Yeah me too. It made the beginning pretty hilarious and I was sad when I had to replace it because the shower of explosions barely tickled enemies. This was my only legendary drop off non-raid bosses through six or so playthroughs, too :argh:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Kaethela posted:

Someone will probably upload a save with them sooner or later.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the costume keys so far both included outfits that have been in the game files since the beginning, and "unlock all outfits" saves already include them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Didn't they move parts of the vendor items into boss loot tables for UVHM? Or am I confusing that with some other UVHM change?

E: ^^ :argh:

• Locked thread