Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

MalcolmSheppard posted:

Now the Skill, for +5 dice with any melee weapon, is 45 XP. The price difference is worth 7 dots of the above Merits, which equates to boosting a secondary weapon to +5 dice. Given that combat focused characters will typically use 1 primary and one backup weapon, this makes it functionally similar in value.

I like it. Given, though, that the default dicepool in this bizarre parallel universe is already composed of two traits, I'd probably halve most of the bonuses there, the actual equipment bonuses associated with weapons, the costs involved, or some combination of the three, such that a regular attempt to hit someone is a Str + Dex + Equipment roll and having all that stuff bought up gives you like three dice more. Ultimately, it comes down to how dramatically you're willing to change everything, of course - your setup's really good if attack rolls in combat are still assumed to use one attribute only as their base dicepool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Ferrinus posted:

That's why I'm saying you could replace Medicine with a simpler, cheaper merit, not add a simpler, cheaper Merit that's mandatory for anyone with Medicine to buy.

...so why have skills, then? This seems like a "kill skills" rule-concept.

Augure
Jan 9, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Boo

Gerund posted:

...so why have skills, then? This seems like a "kill skills" rule-concept.

Ideally we want to kill skills that could be better represented as a training merit plus an attribute test. Don't we?

Like, we probably - assuming we don't revamp the whole system like Malcolm proposes - want to keep Brawl and Weaponry and Driving and Investigation and Persuasion and so forth as skills, because we can coherently imagine a case where someone with less specialization but more ability could be desirable. Would a nerd who's studied how to make friends and influence people be more or less likely to succeed in a social situation than a shy good-looking farmboy? I dunno, but I could see it going either way. By contrast I could not see going either way on "Do I want the doctor or the really, really smart med student to patch me up"

Augure fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Sep 10, 2012

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Augure posted:

Ideally we want to kill skills that could be better represented as a training merit plus an attribute test. Don't we?

Like, we probably - assuming we don't revamp the whole system like Malcolm proposes - want to keep Brawl and Weaponry and Driving and Investigation and Persuasion and so forth as skills, because we can coherently imagine a case where someone with less specialization but more ability could be desirable. Would a nerd who's studied how to make friends and influence people be more or less likely to succeed in a social situation than a shy good-looking farmboy? I dunno, but I could see it going either way. By contrast I could not see going either way on "Do I want the doctor or the really, really smart med student to patch me up"

...so, death to ability scores is what you're saying?

Because really, Med 4 Int 2 and Int 5 Med 1 is only made different because there exist both Dougie Howser and The Old Surgeon. If you really are having that much problem with your on-the-sheet stats defining your character awkwardly, kill the element that is a known to be terrible.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Gerund posted:

This seems like a "kill skills" rule-concept.

Well...yes? That's what I said. The hypothetical result is a situation where you mostly roll combinations of attributes when you're trying to outdo other characters, and "skills" are non-standardized traits which describe which fields your character can or can't compete in at all, or what kind of results your character can expect from certain kinds of activity.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

Ferrinus posted:

Well...yes? That's what I said. The hypothetical result is a situation where you mostly roll combinations of attributes when you're trying to outdo other characters, and "skills" are non-standardized traits which describe which fields your character can or can't compete in at all, or what kind of results your character can expect from certain kinds of activity.

Alternatively, if you still wanted a system where your basic roll is [stat from group 1] + [stat from group 2] + [modifiers], you could have Power, Finesse and Resistance as a second stat group. You could also make it pretty easy to shift points between the three, so that you decide at the start of the session the balance.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

I just... I guess I don't have the verisimilitude problem you guys have with how skills currently work, and it seems like skillmerits would quickly get unwieldy as you tried to map every type of specialized knowledge explicitly, unless you made them more freeform, like FATE aspects or one roll skills.

Vaguido
Feb 22, 2011

When the drug test comes back positive for performance enhancing drugs.
Instead of skillmerits, wouldn't it be easier to restrict what a character can do based on what their points in the skill are?

It wouldn't be difficult to lay some ground rules for certain skills and give the notes to your players before starting a game. For example, with Medicine, you could do something like

* - Basic CPR, Diagnosis of and medicating minor/common illnesses (flu, cold, headache)
** - Minor first aid like stitches, cleaning wounds, etc.
*** - Average doctor skills
**** - Advanced doctoring, can diagnose uncommon medical problems and illnesses
***** - High level surgery, brain, heart, etc. Diagnosis of rare diseases.

Skill Specialties, like pharmaceuticals, could serve as a way to boost their medical prowess in that specific way, but otherwise the skill functions like the dots would suggest. If they try to take a skill specialty too early (one dot medicine with the surgery specialty), you could simply deny it.

You could toy around with that to your personal liking, and it doesn't involve an overhaul with certain skills.

I'd also like to note that getting 5 int is more expensive than getting 5 med. Putting restrictions on what certain skills can accomplish with the dots you have can also make a player have a harder time choosing where he should spend his xp. Saving up for Intelligence bonuses on a lot of mental-based rolls would be nice, but knowing how to set a bone properly could prove useful right before your run in with a gang of thugs.

I should mention, I haven't actually STed a full WoD game before, and I'm only currently working on putting something together for when my gaming group is done with our current game, so this might just be more trouble than it's worth. Or it could devalue attributes or something.

Vaguido fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Sep 11, 2012

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
I like the much much more elegant "fix" for such a "problem" of just saying that certain things require a specific specialty and without that specialty you take the untrained penalty. That way your Craft 4 (boats) lets you make boats real good but trying to rebuild a car engine means you're probably going to be going really slowly. Your Medicine 3 (sports medicine) lets you heal a sprain or a tear really loving well, but no one's going to call you up to do a heart transplant unless you're the last doctor in a hundred miles. And so forth.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Vaguido posted:

That'd also be cool. It'd leave you groping for what the difference between Politics 3 and Politics 4 is, of course, and might lead logically to a system where you just cut out the Attributes instead of cutting out the Skills, but I don't mind in the abstract. Actually, that sort of situation suggests Skills cannibalizing Merits - higher levels of Politics could directly grant allies and contacts, for instance.

Ferrinus fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Sep 11, 2012

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Ferrinus posted:

That'd also be cool. It'd leave you groping for what the difference between Politics 3 and Politics 4 is, of course, and might lead logically to a system where you just cut out the Attributes instead of cutting out the Skills, but I don't mind in the abstract. Actually, that sort of situation suggests Skills cannibalizing Merits - higher levels of Politics could directly grant allies and contacts, for instance.

On that note, why isn't there a requirement of Streetwise or Politics for certain types of social merits? I don't imagine that Ally (The Mayor) goes to many that couldn't ever give him a call.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

I'd reduce rather than increase the frequency of Merit prereqs, if anything. I don't think it helps the game to balance some traits by what other traits they lead to or are led to by. Ideally, Politics would be good enough on its own that it wouldn't just be a hoop you have to jump through to get to those sick-rear end social merits, and a character with Allies (City Hall) would play differently from a character with Allies (City Hall) and a high Politics rating.

Actually, they already do - the way Allies works is by giving bonuses to social rolls you make to get an organization to act in your favor, and you've got to assume that you'd be using the Politics skill on most actions you take to influence overall government logistics and policy. So, someone with Allies (City Hall) but Politics 0 will certainly have an easier time using Persuasion to get personal favors or something, but still be kind of lovely at understanding or manipulating the organization as a whole.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

Gerund posted:

On that note, why isn't there a requirement of Streetwise or Politics for certain types of social merits? I don't imagine that Ally (The Mayor) goes to many that couldn't ever give him a call.

The Mayors best friend from childhood, his next door neighbor, his favorite high school teacher, the priest of his church, and his illegitimate brother his dad brought around a lot when he was younger may not have politics or streetwise, but they might have Ally (The Mayor). Ally is about specific connections made with or without the use of skills, skills are about ways you have to interact with the world at large and in general.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

It might be appropriate to make The Mayor a Mentor or even Retainer, given that the Allies merit is supposed to represent informal pull within a group rather than a specific buddy.

MalcolmSheppard
Jun 24, 2012
MATTHEW 7:20

Baby Babbeh posted:

I just... I guess I don't have the verisimilitude problem you guys have with how skills currently work, and it seems like skillmerits would quickly get unwieldy as you tried to map every type of specialized knowledge explicitly, unless you made them more freeform, like FATE aspects or one roll skills.

I'm not seeing as a problem so much as a fun alternative to play with. If you use this option then you automatically hit a certain degree of competence by "unlocking" something, or if you apply bonuses, you have a very short ladder.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
So I did one of the Mage tradition books today. Akashic Brotherhood.

oMage is dead. Long live nMage. Jesus christ it's worse than I remembered. It's just... It's just really bad. It saps the goodwill I had because of my rose coloured glasses and my irrational fondness for the Technocracy and replaces it with seething bile.

MalcolmSheppard
Jun 24, 2012

Loomer posted:

So I did one of the Mage tradition books today. Akashic Brotherhood.

oMage is dead. Long live nMage. Jesus christ it's worse than I remembered. It's just... It's just really bad. It saps the goodwill I had because of my rose coloured glasses and my irrational fondness for the Technocracy and replaces it with seething bile.

Which version?

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
1994, so 1st edition Mage.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
The only Tradition book I've read is Virtual Adepts revised and it makes me want to smack everybody involved.

MalcolmSheppard
Jun 24, 2012

Loomer posted:

1994, so 1st edition Mage.

Oh yeah, with the Superhero. One of the things with that era of Mage was that they were trying to divorce the factions from real world belief systems in a game about belief systems, so it lead to some wacky stuff. I do believe it would kind of choke your sources of inspiration. The Revised version was the second RPG thing I ever wrote, so I barely look at it these days. We didn't have those restrictions.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I'll non-ironically fight with anyone who doesn't love Sons of Ether Revised.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
'Drahma'. That says it all.

MalcolmSheppard
Jun 24, 2012

ZearothK posted:

I'll non-ironically fight with anyone who doesn't love Sons of Ether Revised.

Cool. Brian Campbell's framing story with the hot rod really did it. That book goes way back into the game's inspirations in broken-telephone by way of Pirsig pre-Socratics.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
MightyGodKing posted a bit this morning about a Dr. Strange story that's just screaming to be adapted to the WoD:

http://mightygodking.com/index.php/2012/09/11/if-i-could-find-a-way-to-see-things-straight-id-run-away

quote:

There’s an invisible prison, with invisible walls
Invisible cells and invisible bars.
On Wednesdays you’re allowed to exercise
Under invisible guards’ watchful eyes.

It’s not just a metaphor for mental illness, you see. Like most metaphors, it’s borne from something quite real. Unlike most metaphors, it’s not used in a way unconnected to the original use. The Invisible Prison is a very real thing: it captures one or two mages, sorcerers and wizards every year. Nobody knows who invented the bit of not-very-well-written doggerel that later became a skipping-rhyme (where, one figures, some smart kid grew up, became an expert on mental illness, and coined the phrase to better describe a very real societal problem with no connection to the rhyme’s origin). Nobody knows why it happens or how it happens. But they know it happens, and they know what happens to the people it captures. You see them on street corners, talking to themselves and begging for change. (Not all of them, of course. But a very few.)

Of course, lots of cut-rate supervillains have used the gambit since, because “make your enemy think he is crazy” is something every garden-variety sadist can come up with. But all of those supervillains miss the point. It doesn’t matter if you try to make Wolverine crazy because sooner or later he’ll pop his claws or realize his healing factor still works. It doesn’t matter if you try to make Captain America crazy because sooner or later reflex memory will kick in and he’ll do something he wouldn’t be able to do. You can’t convince a superhero that they’re delusional – at least, not enough for it to matter.

The invisible library has magazines
Which you read and you dream your invisible dreams
Of when you won’t sleep on your invisible cot
And will not get lost in invisible thoughts.

But you can convince a sorcerer of it. Because magic depends on will and belief – and if you doubt your ability to do magic, you won’t be able to do it. And if you take away their ability to do magic, then the underpinning of their world falls apart because you’ve destroyed the defining tenet by which they’ve organized their lives. It’s very effective and it hardly ever fails, which is why there are more than a few wandering, unstable homeless people who still, very occasionally, do magic by accident wandering the streets of New York City (where they are inevitably deposited by the Invisible Prison these days; it has done for centuries now, although before that it dropped people in London, Paris, Rome and Ur).

And, because we’re talking about magic, the Invisible Prison has advantages your standard villain-lair-designed-to-convince-the-hero-that-they-are-in-an-asylum does not. Because it’s not a physical place (although it can be). In many ways it’s more a state of mind. The Invisible Prison is wherever you are, and it takes a different form each time. It’s when you wake up in a hotel feeling the end of a three-day bender on which you never went. It’s going outside and feeling eyes on you from above, but when you look up they’re not there. It’s when you look in the mirror when you brush your teeth in the morning (because any mage worth their salt knows that dental hygiene is important) and you see bars in front of you – but only in the mirror. And sometimes, yes, it’s a dank cell in a dark pit, in the middle of a complex whose geography is odd and non-linear.

It is as subtle or as blunt as it needs to be, because the Warden (and there is a Warden) provides a tailored experience, whatever will destroy your mind most effectively, be it brutal, terrifying horror or creeping, steady paranoia. And there’s a relevant side-effect: once you’re in the Prison, you go “off the grid” for the purposes of divination magic. In the Prison, it is as if you never existed – until you leave it, a shell of what you once were. Nobody knows why it does what it does. Some think it’s a leftover tool of vengeance by a master mage who wanted to destroy a rival, and that that tool gained a sort of self-driving awareness. Others think it’s a conspiracy that tries to reduce the number of magic users in the world (and there are plenty of people who would like that to happen). But given its success rate, it really doesn’t matter.

One day you might stride out the invisible gate
After a lengthy invisible wait
But the invisible prison will not leave you whole
It tears at your mind and your heart and your soul.

Now, Dr. Strange isn’t going to get trapped in the Invisible Prison. Dr. Strange is the Sorcerer Supreme, after all, and you don’t get to that level without being able to deal with psychological warfare – even magically-assisted psychological warfare. The reason anybody knows the Invisible Prison exists in the first place is because a Sorcerer Supreme was the first (and only) person to break out of it in the mid-1400s. The Prison doesn’t go after Sorcerers Supreme. Maybe it’s because it only wants to grab people it knows it can break. Maybe it’s because it was scared off that one time. But in any event, Stephen Strange is quite safe from it.

But if a Sorcerer Supreme were to not live in isolation (as most do), and were to take apprentices (as most do not)… well, then the Prison might find itself a target that would allow it to strike back at the Sorcerer Supreme, albeit indirectly…

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

My players will be going to the Underworld in a few sessions to dig up and enslave the soul of an Archmage. I have a pretty good idea for what I want to happen to them there but I need some ideas for funny, horrifying, and/or useful poo poo I can have the waters of each Underworld river they'll be crossing do, because I just know one of them is going to go "hey can I bottle/drink that?" and I want to punish them for their curiosity reward them for their situational awareness in an amusing manner.

So far my only okay idea is liquid that makes you completely forget any name or nickname or alias you have ever had, and only that, for some period of time. Someone could remind you your name is Bob and you go "oh poo poo, okay" but ten seconds later they're screaming "BOB JESUS THE ZOMBIE IS RIGHT BEHIND YOU" and you have no idea who the gently caress Bob is.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Reene posted:

My players will be going to the Underworld in a few sessions to dig up and enslave the soul of an Archmage. I have a pretty good idea for what I want to happen to them there but I need some ideas for funny, horrifying, and/or useful poo poo I can have the waters of each Underworld river they'll be crossing do, because I just know one of them is going to go "hey can I bottle/drink that?" and I want to punish them for their curiosity reward them for their situational awareness in an amusing manner.

So far my only okay idea is liquid that makes you completely forget any name or nickname or alias you have ever had, and only that, for some period of time. Someone could remind you your name is Bob and you go "oh poo poo, okay" but ten seconds later they're screaming "BOB JESUS THE ZOMBIE IS RIGHT BEHIND YOU" and you have no idea who the gently caress Bob is.

So are you thinking of having some do a good thing, a good thing with a drawback, or gently caress YOU PLAYERS?

Because going by mythology, you already basically have the river Lethe, so:

The river Styx could maybe buff all your physical stats by 2 for a day, but cause a couple aggro boxes, or reduce your Willpower.

Maybe one river doesn't massively gently caress you up, but now you can see and hear and talk to ghosts as per Death 1, but you can't ever touch anything in twilight.

Likewise, maybe there's a river that does something similar with Time?

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

The River [Name], with water so refreshing that it makes one worry-free. Roll Resolve+Composure-All The Willpower you've ever gained from it. Bathing fills your pool.

Cerberus isn't actually running after the Cabal. They just want some loving water.

EDIT:And my original idea was better. Yay.:smith:

Big Hubris fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Jul 29, 2014

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

Error 404 posted:

So are you thinking of having some do a good thing, a good thing with a drawback, or gently caress YOU PLAYERS?

Because going by mythology, you already basically have the river Lethe, so:

The river Styx could maybe buff all your physical stats by 2 for a day, but cause a couple aggro boxes, or reduce your Willpower.

Maybe one river doesn't massively gently caress you up, but now you can see and hear and talk to ghosts as per Death 1, but you can't ever touch anything in twilight.

Likewise, maybe there's a river that does something similar with Time?

I don't want it to kill them or anything, but rather be funny and really really inconvenient and possibly later coming into play at a critical moment. I'd rather avoid flat and (to me) boring bonuses to attributes or skills in favor of it just doing something that is interesting or funny or weird.

The Geist Underworld book (which is my template) has a lot of ideas for stuff rivers (which are basically endless in number) could do that are weird but thematically appropriate and something more like that is what I am aiming for. For example the book has rivers like Pishon, the River of Gold, that gives you a sudden windfall of wealth (3 Resource dots) relating somehow to someone's death if you drink from it, but 3 months later you lose 4 dots of Resources and become destitute.

So something kind of interesting like that, but more appropriate for a game that is in an isolated location. The Willpower thing might be interesting - a river of laudanum or something. :v:

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
If any of you haven't seen V/H/S yet, you really, really need to. It's an incredibly spooky movie and the entire time I was thinking about WoD inspiration from it.

Especially the first video.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I finally found that oWoD hunter that V/H/S reminded me of- I was right, it was in Urban Legends, but it was the prologue. And not as much like the synopsis as I thought.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
I feel like the early NWOD books, especially the general World of Darkness ones, were the worst about being shocking and gross and extremely boring. I'm reading Book of Spirits right now and the authors are obsessed with the idea that horrible crimes influence the spirit world, specifically serial killers. There have been at least a dozen unique serial killers in this loving book, and i'm only halfway through. Well over half of the "cursed items" it lists were created in some grisly basement. I think my favorite is the one that gives you the power to torture a cat to death to regain a point of willpower! Truly it is a game of personal horror.

Project1
Dec 30, 2003

it's time
Couple of questions: I'm reading through the Clan Novel Saga 1, which is Fall of Atlanta I think. It's pretty dull so far, with only a couple of interesting characters. I'm up to some consultant who got ghouled by Swedish Camarilla Toreador. Does it get any more interesting? It's readable, but only just.

What's the NWoD fiction like? I read through the vampire story of Three Shades of Night, and that was ok for RPG fiction. I heard it goes downhill after that.

And I'm thinking up a character at the moment, who is a Lasombra. Any tricks to get around the mirror thing? Are cameras a problem?

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Error 404 posted:

The river styx should deal massive aggravated damage when you touch it because that poo poo is poison. If you survive, you now have a permanent effect where lethal damage that targets whatever bodypart you submerged is now stepped down to bashing damage. The more of yourself you submerge the more damage you take but also the more protection you receive.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Project1 posted:

Couple of questions: I'm reading through the Clan Novel Saga 1, which is Fall of Atlanta I think. It's pretty dull so far, with only a couple of interesting characters. I'm up to some consultant who got ghouled by Swedish Camarilla Toreador. Does it get any more interesting? It's readable, but only just.

What's the NWoD fiction like? I read through the vampire story of Three Shades of Night, and that was ok for RPG fiction. I heard it goes downhill after that.

And I'm thinking up a character at the moment, who is a Lasombra. Any tricks to get around the mirror thing? Are cameras a problem?

It does get a little more interesting, but as a whole the Clan Novels weren't particularly good, and Clan Novel Saga is the worst way to read them (though for the project it's my preferred source to recheck something, since it means less actual books to keep track of. Go figure.) since it removes them all from the original order of publication.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Reene posted:

I wouldn't have anything happen right away, as the story progresses I'd give increasing penalties to life magic and increasing bonuses to death magic while they are down there.

When they finally come back, the ones that drank from the river would start having dreams and visions of the Underworld again and little by little they seem to wan to fade from existence (like you see in those time travel movies where they accidentally erase their own existence) as their soul is called back to the underworld.

And there you have your next story.

WINNERSH TRIANGLE
Aug 17, 2011

I guess the Acheron would function as some sort of soul-shriving river, whose water forced you to externalise and confront your pain/suffering/inner demons and wash them away using it.

Suda posted:

A certain place in the middle of everything; in it occurs a drawing-up and swallowing of waters, until complete inundation; [it is] a dim and dark place. Yet Acheron is like a place of healing, not a place of punishment, cleansing and purging the sins of humans.

I dunno how to work it with WoD rules, but if you wanted to play into the fairly Christianised approach given in the Suda, it could work as a particularly aggressive form of baptism - anointing a person with it brings them closer to death, and is incredibly painful, but at the same time helps slough away your sins and sorrows (= resist hubris or something). At the same time, Mages are all about their worldly hubris, and so might not be too happy about being brought back to a simpler state of death and rest.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
The ONLY oMage book worth reading is Guide to the Technocracy. That's it. The core isn't even worth bothering with, and GttT is really only good because it's chock full of awesome poo poo.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

Project1 posted:

Greg Stolze's books for nVampire are pretty good (A Hunger Like Fire, A Marriage of Virtue and Viciousness). Interesting characters and vampiric intrigue work together to give a pretty cool picture of how vampire society tends to work.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

Volume posted:

I wouldn't have anything happen right away, as the story progresses I'd give increasing penalties to life magic and increasing bonuses to death magic while they are down there.

When they finally come back, the ones that drank from the river would start having dreams and visions of the Underworld again and little by little they seem to wan to fade from existence (like you see in those time travel movies where they accidentally erase their own existence) as their soul is called back to the underworld.

And there you have your next story.

The story arc for the campaign is already set, but that's not a bad idea. I can build from the Persephone thing.

The thing I am looking forward to most of all is leading them into getting lost so I can throw them into the western-themed dominion Dead Man's Hand and make them play poker with dead cowboy-ghosts for information.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Fuzz posted:

The ONLY oMage book worth reading is Guide to the Technocracy. That's it. The core isn't even worth bothering with, and GttT is really only good because it's chock full of awesome poo poo.
I disagree in the sense that something great is always worth reading and most things that came out during / just before Revised were great - have you even seen the Sorcerers Crusade books?

• Locked thread