Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I can't stand the wailing of women
I hate Blood Gulch and all of its evil spawn. The series needs to divorce itself from that map concept.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

Why are we ignoring the CoD references, again?

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I god drat hope so. Kill cams are the worst. Maybe I'm old fashioned but I just want a new Halo game.

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

VaultAggie posted:

There's always the Karen Traviss books to look forward to. :shepface:

Turns out the humans are evil and if you think otherwise you're just racist

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

So wait, now we're going to have three sets of the same weapons? UNSC, Covie, Promethean?

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

V for Vegans posted:

Isn't that how all multi-faction games weapons work?

It's not necessarily a bad thing, I guess. It's just kinda weird that instead of making new weapons with your new faction you're just making the old ones again except with orange lasers instead of green. I doubt they'll ever do a Covie vs. Promo gametype, so why not make Promo weapon only matches more interesting?

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I think I would have preferred Promo weapons to be nothing but power weapons then. A couple of new, interesting gun gimmicks. I just want a Halo game where I can shoot an army of orange Promo-bees at people, is that so much to ask for?

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I think I'll wait until after release to decide if I'll get the season pass. Need to see if I'm gonna be a Halo 3 grump with this game.

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

Tighclops posted:

Apparently you pull a magnum out of your rear end whenever you have the flag now, so I guess that technically counts as dual wielding. That mech is cool I guess, I hope they just keep adding ridiculous poo poo so that there's no time to notice if anything's balanced between all the explosions.

The Battlefield TheoryTM

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

I wasn't totally sold on the idea of having a mech in the game, until I saw it loving stomping a Warthog and a Ghost into the ground! :black101:

It does look OP as poo poo, though, I wonder what the balance is (besides each team apparently getting one). Maybe it moves too slowly to avoid rockets/grenades or something. Of course, they aren't exactly showing the other side fighting back too hard in the promo video so maybe it's fairly fragile, but it still took out all those vehicles and dudes really quickly.

You can probably be shot from inside it. That would make it almost useless against a decent team, but it wouldn't be overpowered.

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I dunno, Promo mines or something would be neat. There are weapon types they could have explored with the Promo stuff.

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

Jesus, that was awful. Was this made by the same people that did the live action commercials from previous games?

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

Far Cry 2's map creation system was loving amazing on consoles. If Halo let you have that kind of creative freedom, I'd never stop playing it.

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

kater posted:

Someone should tell that to all the folks bothering to make a story out of Halo then. They could go play badminton or something.

Well the story in the games is pretty lightweight action filler and the novels are just awful. I like Halo games for the aesthetics and level design. People are free to enjoy the story of course, but it's still not a focus in any of the games.

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

kater posted:

There's a reason they still bother to make campaigns. Or did you think Activision likes spending money on poo poo nobody plays?

Some Call of Duty single player completion percentages:

World at War: 31.55%
Modern Warfare 2: 59.1%
Black Ops: 18.6%

Battlefield 3: 17%

It's based on Raptr, but it's a representative percentage. Dice has even confirmed that their focus is on multiplayer. It's shocking the first time you hear it, but people really just do not play the single player in these games.

http://www.gamezone.com/products/call-of-duty-modern-warfare-3/news/only-18-6-of-players-have-completed-cod-black-ops-single-player-campaign

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

TheGreatGildersneeze posted:

I love how people who say things like "nobody plays [game] for [x]" really mean "I don't play [game] for [x]" but are still somehow self-absorbed enough to think they're right even in the face of people telling them they're wrong as hell.

I've played and enjoyed every Halo campaign. I've played (and haven't always enjoyed) every Call of Duty campaign. I enjoy all aspects of games I play, but the focus in shooters (not all, but most) in recent years has been on multiplayer. Even if half of people beat the campaign, that's half that didn't touch it or didn't like it enough to finish. Post-release, how many single-player expansion packs come out for modern shooters? None. How many multiplayer? 2-4 generally. The money maker in Halo and CoD is multiplayer and has been since online gaming took off on consoles.

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I never suggested that people only "play it for the achievements". I said multiplayer is what the developers focus on. Not sure why it's so hard to comprehend. Also, is Spartan Ops playable solo? Awesome.

Friendly Factory fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Oct 13, 2012

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

Fair enough, I guess. I admit the multiplayer focus is more pronounced in Call of Duty than Halo.

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

That video looked pretty good. Kinda disappointed the game also has killstreaks, but whatevs. I think Dominion could be real troublesome for me, only having one friend who plays Halo. Can imagine any coordinated team will get shutouts because not only do they get the points first, the other team can't get them themselves because the points will start killing them with turrets. Basically like Invasion, which blew chunks.

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

Was there motion blur in Reach? I can't recall thinking about that when playing the campaign. Honestly, I thought it was the best campaign in the series.

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

gooby on rails posted:

Yes. In the beta it was really obvious and halfassed so in the final it was toned down a lot, but it was there.

I don't remember noticing it in the beta either. To be fair I have a lovely memory.

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

It's just as asinine as saying "no one plays Halo for the campaign."

Guess it's good no one said that then! :v:

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

Next time I won't summarize it so it's more clear what I'm referring to, I guess.

I was joking because you used quotes about a thing that wasn't said. Thought the :v: was clear

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

Ain't gotta school me but once

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

The mech is exactly what I hoped it would be: high damage, low health. Glad there's no tank equivalent on the new Valhalla like there was in Reach.

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

ChocNitty posted:

I thought there would be way more than that.

Wasn't it Halo 3 that broke the XBL record, and had over a million people playing multiplayer the night it was released?

Halo 3 was (slightly) before Call of Duty 4. CoD is king now.

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

Sorta lame that they don't track stats but let you play anyways. Do the stats not get their own servers or something?

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I've always been lovely at Halo campaigns. It seems to me like they have a higher density of powerful enemies in comparison to most shooters.

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

^^^^ Regicide is intense as hell

What? There's stats out the rear end for you to peruse on Halo the Waypoint website. What stats are you looking for?

It wasn't tracking stats because of the server stuff, which was weird because I could still play online.

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

^^^ I thought so when the Promo trailer was out but now I think they're generally alright. They're just unique enough to feel different for me.

You'd rather not be able to play a game you paid for if you can't see that your e-peen grew by .00001 mm? You're weird.

Well let's see. I've talked about the mech and regicide so far, so I'm gonna say that I've been playing this game for several hours. But yes, obviously my "e-peen" is at stake.

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

Wow, I'm just dreadful at this game. Though I seem to do alright with Flood. It seems like everyone is playing with a full team except me, what with their moving together and whatnot. It's too bad I care about my e-peen because this is rather embarrassing as a result.

edit: Also in the 14 games that have been recorded for me, I have 254 medals. I think they may have done a little overkill on those. Though it's hard to argue with constant reinforcement.

Friendly Factory fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Nov 7, 2012

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I had the most amazing glitch last night. I was queued up for Flood and it matches us with at least 20 more people. We get into a match with this huge group and it was just chaos. The most fun I've had so far. Legions of Spartans just going down one at a time before the Flood has a god drat army coming at the few left every few seconds. Flood should up the player count for real.

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

Anyone gotten a glitch while playing flood yet? It's only happened once, but human team mates would randomly show up flood colored with red visors. Your reticle would turn red when looking at them, and after killing them, you'd get a betrayal.

It was weird, but kinda fun cause it was so confusing.

It happens to me every few matches. Not sure what's causing it but it's pretty hilarious.

So after 2 days, there's only a few things the game is missing in my eyes. I understand not having SWAT and Grifball at launch, because they're fairly niche modes. However, I do hope 343 intends on putting Big Team Battle back. I want objective matches with more people. Along with that, I hope Juggernaut comes back along with VIP (please god VIP). VIP was easily one of the best modes in H3.

Also how do you change the camo on your gun? I swear I saw a video a while back of this and I can't find out how to do it in game.

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

Wait, is the VIP game mode programmed into the game? Looking through the commendations, there's apparently a medal called "Saviour" with the description "Kill an opponent shooting at your King". God I hope it's in there somewhere.

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

CelestialScribe posted:

So I've never played the Halo games, but is this a good point to start at the beginning of a new trilogy?

Yes, but make sure you view the terminal below the first area right at the beginning of the game. It gives you a very brief recap of the previous trilogy.

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

Encountered a hilarious death glitch today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GaC_muayjM

Also I made this because I love the sticky launcher so much (even if I'm pretty lovely with it):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HO2hxxQMmtg

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I said come in! posted:

Does anyone else feel like the SAW needs to be toned down a bit? It feels like an absolutely god like weapon.

It's no different from getting a rocket launcher. Both are power weapons.

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I said come in! posted:

Yeah but the Rocket Launcher has low ammo and a slow reload. The SAW has no disadvantages.

The rocket launcher can kill you from 50 feet away and the SAW will have trouble doing that. In Big Team Slayer it's difficult to use to SAW in some circumstances.

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

Mister Chief posted:

That sucks. There were a lot of cool strategies you could employ in previous Halo games by throwing the flag.

I too long for the days o-- FLAG TAKEN FLAG DROPPED FLAG TAKEN FLAG DROPPED FLAG TAKEN FLAG DROPPED

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

Detroit_Dogg posted:

My Xbox does not like this game. Freezes after the prologue and only allows one multiplayer match before needing to be restarted. I just wanna drive jeeps around :smith:

From the matches I have played it's really fun though!

Try clearing your system cache and load it up again.

• Locked thread