Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

V for Vegans posted:

There's a difference between TF2 kill cams and the COD style kill cam that Halo is using. The TF2 kill cam simply whos you who killed you, so you can see what gun they have and look at all their hats, and also see where they were when they killed you. The COD kill cam is a 5 second replay from your killers perspective.

I think they should have the kill cam be in non-ranked games, so you can still get the learning ability of seeing your mistakes and the strategies of others from thier perspectives, but then when the matches count, those kill cams wouldn't show people where you were hiding.

Maybe they feel this type of kill cam will prevent camping, since the player you killed knows exactly where you were, and is most likely running back towards you for revenge.

Kill Cams solve a gameplay problem ("How did I die?!") in the most ham-fisted way possible. If you have to resort to kill cams, your combat loop is completely broken.

Halo's combat loop hasn't been broken in the past, and unless they turned every gun into one shot kills, it still isn't broken now, so there's literally no reason to have a kill cam at all, short of copying Call of Duty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

halo.xbox.com doesn't work for me at all, and I've had problems logging into xbox.com or live.xbox.com for the last week, generally resolvable by deleting all live.com, xbox.com and live.xbox.com cookies before attempting to login again.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

kater posted:

Actually, has Microsoft even done multi-disc downloads? Is there a chance this never shows up?

Both LA Noire (3 discs) and Max Payne 3 (2 discs) are available via Games on Demand. No idea how it actually works, though.

edit: A Google search suggests Rockstar has modified disc one of both games to prompt you to download DLC versions of disc 2 (and 3, for LA Noire) when necessary.

Which suggests Microsoft's marketplace backend is horrible. Or maybe they just didn't want to explain to users how to switch discs in a multi-disc game without any actual discs.

pseudorandom name fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Oct 1, 2012

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

MickRaider posted:

No I'm pretty sure this is set in the time after halo 3

but before 4

The bit at the beginning with the captain of the Infinity listening to the distress call from Forward Unto Down is immediately before Halo 4, the rest is a flashback to his academy training during the inner/outer colony civil war immediately before the Covenant attack.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

The AR looks even goofier embossed on a wall for no reason.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

They're not twenty-somethings, they're teens. It's a military boarding school.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Assuming they stick to the $10 for three maps pricing model, that's $30 worth of maps and some other useless poo poo for the low price of $40. (Or $55 if you pre-ordered at $45 instead of $60.)

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Microsoft literally cannot deliver multiple items via one code (AFAIK), so at the very least, there will be a separate codes for maps and avatar junk.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Monster w21 Faces posted:

Just infect the drivers and pile on the biomass.

Scarabs don't have drivers any more than Hunters do, they're both mechanical shells occupied by colonies of sentient worms.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Less fan fiction, more fan metal.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6lA8zIFT7o

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

All the bullshit about the nuke knocking out their shields is just fan wankery, and isn't held up by the cutscene itself which doesn't show the shields pop or recharge.

On the other hand, they used the beam rifle sound effect when she gets shot.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

The cutscene doesn't show who fired the shot (beyond it coming from somebody on a Phantom), and there's definitely no needle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPvwtMKWP8k&hd=1&t=598s

Who is it saying "Close the doors! Faster!" in the whiny voice?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

"Master Chief®", actually. No definite or indefinite articles allowed.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Another thing to keep in mind is that the details of John 117's background weren't relevant to the story being told in the first trilogy. Sure he was kidnapped as a child and experimented upon without any kind of ethical restraint, but where would that have come up naturally as a part of the game?

I suppose they could've added some NPC barks along the lines of "I'm sure glad you were stolen and modified by a secret military project!", but that wouldn't have made any sense narratively in addition to being badly written.*

On the other hand, where the universe building made sense, they integrated it into the plot as necessary. Examples from Reach, since it's the most recent I've played and thus still fresh in my memory: Noble team was sent to investigate rebel activity and they found the Covenant instead. Rebels smugglers gave stolen UNSC weaponry to Noble team to fight the Covenant. Jorge thinks of Halsey as some kind of mother. etc.

* Although, it would've worked reasonably well with the IWHBYD skull on.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

I would hope his armor takes care of that for him.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Why one round in the first week?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

shagster104 posted:

If you play matchmaking from launch until November 20, you get 6 extra specialization classes.

Specializations being the thing you can't use until you reach level 50 and all eight of which will be unlocked for everyone eventually?

Napolean Bonerfarts posted:

How much is the War Games pass?

$25

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Halo: Complex - You are a Spartan dropped into a secret Covenant military facility built around a mysterious Forerunner complex. Explore the facility, upgrade your weapons and armor with pilfered Covenant and Forerunner technology and neutralize the threat to humanity at the heart of the complex. Completing Halo: Complex unlocks the ability to play as an ODST instead of a Spartan, for added excitement and challenge.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Here's a thought - if the Infinity is loaded with these genetically-enhanced Marines-made-SPARTAN, in full powered armor no less, does that mean we'll have backup that lives longer than five seconds during campaign levels?

Yes, but like the rest of Noble team, they'll be incapable of either driving or shooting.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

There's already precedent for boring and/or silly names like Saratoga or Say My Name.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Evil Badman posted:

Saratoga was a set of battles during the American Revolution.

Were these battles covered in amber or moving towards the sun?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Showing people their TrueSkill rank in Halo 3 rank lead directly to them deliberately subverting the system, at which point they're either playing beyond their skill level and having no fun while dragging their team down or they're playing way below their skill level in order to stomp unskilled which isn't any fun for the low skill players.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Why is this shocking? Reach didn't show you your TrueSkill either.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

It got hit with a charged shot from a plasma pistol.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

On the one hand, 343 is already caving to MLG whining, on the other, sticking it off in a separate app entirely is the best possible way to do it.

Actually, the best possible way to do it would be like credit scores, where you have to pay a fee to see your then current score that immediately becomes out-of-date.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

astrollinthepork posted:

How so? Not trolling, genuinely curious.

They're exposing TrueSkill rank to the end user.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

ClemenSalad posted:

I don't really understand why this matters or is some huge loss to non pro people.

Because the purpose of TrueSkill is to match you with people with similar TrueSkill to your own so that you have a reasonably competitive and therefore fun match. There is no reason for the player to even be aware that exists, much less have any knowledge of the actual value.

Halo 3 conclusively demonstrated that if you show players their TrueSkill, they will deliberately manipulate the system in order to artificially lower their own TrueSkill so they can stomp noobs or artificially raise their TrueSkill in order to be extra elite and then drag down the teams of actual skilled players.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Bring a camera, take pictures of the people with you in line. Also their cars, if possible.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

I got 7, thanks.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Yes; all the multiplayer maps are on disk two; they're installed by disk one.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

monkeu posted:

This isn't entirely correct. Disc 2 is the install disc for multiplayer. When you put it in and run it it comes up with a menu where the only option is to install it. After it finishes you're prompted to insert disc 1, which is the play disc. So basically you insert disc 2 once to install it, and then you never use it again. I installed disc 2 through its special menu, and then ended up installing disc 1 as well through the usual dashboard method.

Really? I guess they finally updated the installer that's was used by the Borderlands, Oblivion, Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas DLC discs to something that doesn't look like it came straight out of 2005.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Halo 3: Master Chief finished the fight, was left drifting through space in the rear half of Forward Unto Dawn.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

So you've unlocked every single helmet already?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Because it makes your K/D ratio look real good.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

And the Pelican from machine gun to laser.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

It's trivially easy in Forge to phase a jersey barrier through the wall in order to block the hole, the fact that they haven't done it yet is embarrassing.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

TheGreatGildersneeze posted:

You can place the basic weapons on the map in Forge, but they don't show up in Slayer since there's no "weapons on map" setting in the custom options. Here's hoping they add that later; they should be using the same system Bungie had with Reach.

The fact that none of the gametypes support weapons on maps and none of the maps even have weapons strongly suggests that 343 will never enable normal Halo multiplayer because it would just be too much work.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

TheGreatGildersneeze posted:

What does "all the weapons are placeable objects that you can pick up and use as normal in Forge, we're just missing a menu option for enabling 'weapons on map' in the current gametypes" suggest?

That they never got around to removing that feature from the engine.

The weapons have to be in the map data because they could be used as an ordnance drop or in a map- or gametype-specific loadout, but they don't have to be placable.

Bland posted:

I'm not sure what you guys are talking about with regards to there being no 'weapons on map' system. I downloaded a Narrows remake with placed weapons all over and used my custom Classic Slayer game type and the weapons spawned and respawned just fine. Unless you mean something else.

Oh, I didn't know that worked. I haven't tried it and assumed Gildersneeze's workaround using ordnance drops was required.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Has anybody on the internet looked inside the Spartan Ops season 1 data files to see how many unique maps it contains?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Gotta justify that wall hack perk somehow.

• Locked thread