Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

Glad this thread got made, I'm so pumped for this game. I haven't heard a single thing yet that concerns me, though I will miss Martin O'Donnell as composer.

One thing I'm wondering about, and I hope they make some sort of announcement soon, is whether you can set different armor suits for different loadouts. Like, can I pick for example a big, Grenadier-type armor with a female Spartan for my character with the Gunner support ability and AR and a sleeker, Operator-type armor on a male Spartan for the character with Awareness and a BR? Probably not, because you'd need a default one for the playlists that don't use loadouts, but as a big dumb dork who likes playing dress-up with his cyborg supersoldiers it would be pretty cool to me if you could do that.

I imagine your armor settings are completely independent of your loadout, but as long as the armory stuff is as streamlined as it is in Reach, or more, and assuming time between matches remains pretty consistent, it shouldn't be a problem to switch your armor around when you feel like playing a different "class."

I doubt you'll be able to change armor mid-game, of course, but that could cause issues for other reasons.

Anyone else annoyed at the proximity between this and BLOPS 2? I know there isn't a lot of crossover between fandoms here, but BLOPS 2 looks like just enough of a thematic departure that I'm interested in jumping in to see what it's all about, but drat if I'm going to stop playing Halo for it, and gently caress joining in after a month when everyone has everything unlocked and knows all the overpowered builds. Guess I'm gonna have to juggle games, which is never easy to do for me.

Funkmaster General fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Sep 4, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Yeah, the value in the pack for me is the early access multiplayer stuff and the DLC pass. I'm gonna throw money at them for it anyway, may as well do it up front so that it feels like it's free later.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

343's thought: Removing the ability to drop the flag will prevent people trying to flag juggle and force the carrier to focus on the objective.

What's really going to happen: "Oh god dammit, that human being picked up my flag. Gonna teamkill that rear end in a top hat. Better teabag him for a few seconds for good measure."

edit: Oh, cool, there's no way to speed up the flag's return now either. Sounds like a perfectly fine and well-balanced change. AND you don't need your own flag to score. Yeah, this sounds great. Nobody wanted to play CTF anyway, right? I guess this way nobody will complain when they remove it entirely in Halo 5.

edit 2: Okay, no reason to be alarmist though.

quote:

CTF specifically offers tuning the “Flag Return Time/Proximity Return”, “Flag Reset Time”, “Flag at Home Requirement”, “Overtime Length”, and “Flag Carrier Traits”.

So as long as "automatic pickup" and "wields a weapon" are both "flag carrier traits" you can turn off, we can still have classic CTF.

Funkmaster General fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Sep 7, 2012

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Okay, so I finished reading that whole bulletin and it just makes me feel more uneasy. Every time I start to get really excited about this game 343 comes in and makes things sound worse. Just little things like how they kept answering questions like "will we be able to reverse this absurd change you made to x gametype in custom options" with "YOU WILL PLAY THE GAME THE WAY WE WANT YOU TO, TRUST US YOU'LL LIKE IT."

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

BabyMauler posted:

So in the new vid-doc they show off a lot about the Knights. I never noticed they had little arms dangling from their chest before. And now I want to know more about these forerunners in these suits. Are they really dead or just kinda kept alive to control the suit. November needs to get here.

I was under the impression that these are Prometheans, and that they were slaves/guardians/whatever created by the forerunners. Where did this "dead forerunners inside mechanical suits" concept come up?

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Although we have no idea how long it will take to get to 50 in Halo 4 anyway. Specializations are considered "end-game" content, so I'd assume that 343 don't expect anyone to rush through it all super fast, but given all the emblems, armor bits, skins and so forth tied to them, and the large number of them (for LE owners/later release, anyway), it seems like it would be absurd to lock them behind a gate that would take more than a couple of months or so to reach.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

V for Vegans posted:

I don't recall the golf club ever coming up in reach's campaign.

I don't think that counts, it's just a reskin.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Valhalla or bust.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Napolean Bonerfarts posted:

Some dude (@haloathon) on Twitter went to London to play Halo 4 and just tweeted, "ZOMG. Valhalla! #Halo4UK"

I hate Valhalla :(

Called it.

Also, gently caress yes.

edit: Have a picture

As for the flood mode stuff, zombies in infected looking like flood was always a really cool idea IMO and I was disappointed it never happened. And, now, I'm still disappointed looking at those shots. The last shot shows the new flood zombie things, but all the previous shots show generic spartans shooting generic spartans. It looks more like the flood guys are something like an AI-controlled alpha zombie. Welp, just looked and realized those other shots are Infinity Slayer.

Funkmaster General fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Sep 26, 2012

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

So I preordered at Gamestop due to convenience, but was really disappointed with their preorder stuff compared to some of the other retailers. If you're in the same boat, this may interest you.

Gamestop is adding three more pre-order bonuses to the deal. Looks like they are playing around with the same system they are using for their BLOPS2 preorder stuff, meaning these are coming in "waves," but the twist this time is that you get to vote on what each wave is.

The first wave of voting is... arctic BR camo vs green spartan avatar armor. Neither are particularly interesting but the choice is pretty obvious.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

So it turns out Ragnorak (the Valhalla remake) has a mech on it. Not one that's being built, as scenery, like that other map, an actual pilotable vehicle.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

FPzero posted:

Turns out I was too slow on pre-ordering the Limited Edition from Amazon so I'll be buying each dlc like a scrub as they come out. Oh well, with my credit, I only paid $30 for the game so I'm still happy. Gonna miss not having that steelbook case though. I'm a sucker for those.

You can still buy the season pass thing instead of buying the DLC individually. You'll also get two bonus helmets for doing this that LE users don't get at all.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

kater posted:

I really wish the game was available for download from day 1. Actually, has Microsoft even done multi-disc downloads? Is there a chance this never shows up?

Wait, Halo 4 is multi-disc? I don't remember hearing about this. Is it just Disc 1 = campaign, Disc 2 = Infinity stuff?

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Here's the official Valhala remake trailer. It's actually more of a trailer for the Mantis mech.

You can teabag people in it.

In a mech.

You can teabag with a mech.

This almost makes up for all the trailers being full of dubstep. Almost.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Because I'm a crazy person, I'm actually considering buying the season pass DLC despite getting it with the LE, because of the additional content. The scanner helmet is totally bitchin'. What I want to know is (if anyone knows anyway) if the code for the season pass included with the LE is totally standalone or if it's tied together with the other LE-exclusive content? That is, if I buy the LE AND the regular Season Pass DLC, would I then end up with all the LE content, plus the extra season pass helmets, and an extra code good for the season pass without the helmets? From there I'd be giving out (or maybe selling) the "naked" season pass code.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

While watching the video I imagined it was designed as an anti-vehicle vehicle, and that it would be taken out pretty easily by someone on foot. Looks like you can do the same thing you can do to tanks by climbing on top of it and tossing a grenade into it, without the added protection of a secondary gunner to cover your back.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

I don't know if this was really well-known before or not, but the final map count for War Games is 10 (not counting the three forge maps or the promised future DLC).

So, we've got:
Adrift
Haven
Longbow
Exile
Solace
Complex
Ragnorak
Abandon

That leaves two more unannounced multiplayer maps. We've also only seen two of the three forge maps (the large outdoor one called Ravine and the indoor one used for Grifball).

Notably, we haven't seen ANY covenant-themed maps yet.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

TheGreatGildersneeze posted:

Someone who's watched other videos/etc, what's the light rifle do differently than say, a carbine or DMR?

The lightrifle fires a three-round burst like a BR when fired unscoped. When scoped in, it fires a single-shot like a DMR. The single shot still uses 3 ammo and deals slightly more damage than a full three-burst.

The boltshot (promethean pistol), isn't anything like a plasma pistol by the way, other than that it can charge up. It functions like a weaker magnum, but it can be charged up to fire a close-range shotgun-style energy blast. The blast is strong enough to one-shot at point blank range, but the timing is "hard," unlike the plasma pistol which you can just charge until you're ready, the boltshot fires when it's ready and not a moment sooner or later.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

MUFFlNS posted:

The more I see of this game the more fantastic it looks, it's nice to see that they finally gave the engine an overhaul so that we can get some decent graphics in a Halo game as well. Watching gameplay footage of this reminds me of the awe that I had for the first time I sat down and played Killzone 2 :D

Any word on a season pass and how much it will be if so? They put some really nice maps out for Reach so I'd rather just put down the cash now if it will save a few MS points from purchasing it all separately.

2000 points gets you access to three map packs of three maps each, plus two exclusive helmets.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

I said come in! posted:

It sucks that you have to be hurt by piracy like this, and well before the game even releases.

How are you (or anyone else) being hurt by piracy? The only people that can truly claim they're being hurt by Halo 4 leaking are people that work for Microsoft or 343 industries. Or I guess Certain Affinity since I imagine they get a cut. It's not like you're being forced to watch the youtube videos, and worst case is that someone misnames them intentionally, in which case that's that guy being a dick, not the fault of whoever leaked the game.

I said come in! posted:

It's unfair to the people who intend to buy the game too that some little shits get to enjoy it weeks in advance without spending a single dime on it, and likely never will even come November 6.

I wouldn't say that, really. This goes back to the "nobody plays for campaign" stuff again, and I'm sorry to drag that out, but while not EVERYBODY is in it for the multiplayer, a lot of people are, and it could be argued that most people doing software piracy (especially for consoles) are tied-in enough with internet culture that they're probably at least as interested in multiplayer as in single player.

People with flashed drives can't play Halo 4 online after pirating it. Period. They'll get caught within an hour and banned, and that's assuming it can even be done without the game complaining about matchmaking servers being down. People with JTags can play online for a few hours at a time, with a hefty fee each time they need a new KV, or over Xlink Kai, which has a very small user base and precludes the use of matchmaking. If you want to play multiplayer in any serious capacity needs to buy the game.

That isn't to say that there aren't going to be people who pirate and never buy, or that there aren't people who are going to pirate when they would have bought it if it hadn't leaked, or any other number of things you could try to twist this into, just that I think it's reasonable to assume that a large portion of the people pirating the game are going to buy it as well. After all, who's scrambling to download an early copy of Halo 4 other than diehard Halo fans in the first place?

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

I said come in! posted:

-A n i m 8- worked on Halo 4.

Oh, haha, I missed who you were quoting.

:eng99:

Yes, fair enough then. Sorry -A n i m 8-, didn't mean to sound like a dick. I stand by the rest of my post, though.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

I've never heard of this xkey thing, but even if it works as you describe, this is Halo 4 we're talking about. If you don't think Microsoft is keeping an eagle eye on who is playing this while connected to Live you're crazy.

edit: And good lord, this thing costs $100. Not saying pirates aren't willing to spend money on piracy (some of them spent ridiculous ammounts on KVs back when I was paying attention to this stuff), but that's certainly a barrier to entry that you can bet is going to keep a majority of "casual" pirates away.

Funkmaster General fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Oct 13, 2012

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Booties posted:

That's probably because some kid used the code without buying the dew. I had a bag of doritos the other day and it worked, giving me 3 games of double exp. The joys of them being printed on the outside of the package. At least I don't have to waste food!

How does that work exactly, though? The dew codes are only on the bottles, right? They put them under the cap. Dew is just opaque enough that you couldn't really hold the bottle upside down to peek at it.

I actually drink the stuff regularly because I am a goon. I've got a pile of unredeemed caps and I'm wondering if I should be worried about them being already used.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

I think you might be underestimating how much people will pay for that stuff. The LE-exclusive stuff is kind of boring, but that doesn't mean people won't buy it, and it doesn't mean people won't pay for most of your upgrade, either. I bought Mortal Kombat from Walmart when it came out and sold the lovely exclusive skin for over half the cost of the game. It wasn't even one of the ones people wanted.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The feelies are comparable with Reach's?

Probably not. I haven't spent any time examining the non-digital offerings in the LE (I already preordered one and will probably not downgrade even though I no longer feel it's worth it), but Reach's LE was utterly fantastic in both physical content (the diary was very entertaining) and packaging. I really doubt 343 will match it.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

The war games pass is not included in either the console or the LE. The LE comes with access to the maps, but not the extra bonus stuff (helmets, emblem) from the standalone pack.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

BrokenKnees posted:

Where was this confirmed? My understanding was that the LE had it's own armor stuff on top of the code for the war games pass and it's own unlocks.

They posted it in one if their 343 blog posts. That said, I was coming back to the thread to edit my post because someone from 343 apparently said on twitter today that this isn't the case and that the LE pass DOES include the helmets and emblem.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

This is some of the best quality footage I've seen yet, just in terms of capture quality. The commentary is also hilarious if you don't speak spanish. Trust me on this one.

But the real reason I bring it up is that this video seems to show lag. This isn't some alarmist "OMG THIS GAME WILL BE LAGGY" post or anything, but the lag compensation seems to behave a bit differently than Reach or Halo 3. Potentially interesting to check out.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

I don't speak Spanish and now I want to know why one of the commentators switched to English to say "Master Chief is back, baby."

Edit: Wait, how does that show how it will compensate for lag? It's LAN play.

Is it? Well poo poo, maybe it was the stream that was lagging then? It seemed to be running totally smoothly, and the audio never stuttered or desynched, but there was some distinct bungiechord lag visible. Looked a lot like CoD style lag compensation I guess.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Ah, well, sorry then. Didn't watch too much of it. It's still decent gameplay footage, though.

Namaste posted:

How the hell are they playing this competitively already?

Microsoft Sponsorship, I'd imagine.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

There's a thread for this in Coupons.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Wow, even less reason to buy the LE. I thought those were LE and early adopters only. Did I miss something or did MS start hating money all of a sudden?

Okay, but wait. Let's be fair here. If these weren't eventually unlocked for everyone latecomers would literally be at a disadvantage forever. Six stat-altering mods are unlocked via those specializations. Plus that's 60 levels worth of additional exp to be earned before you're "done" with MP, meaning the game would have shorter legs for those people too.

The bullshit part is giving them early to early adopters, especially when they had already announced they would be LE only until they unlocked for everyone.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Arthe Xavier posted:

So do I. I would also like to see a fully-fledged, high-budget game centered around Halo's Blitzball. Career-modes and everything.

Blitzball was a Final Fantasy thing. Are you thinking of Grifball?

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

Didn't Activision or whoever ended up getting Bungie name drop a project named Marathon a while back or something?

Sort of. Bungie's contract with Activision has an oddly specific clause in it that says that when they're done making whatever they're making for them, they'll publish a different game under the title "Marathon." You can probably find the specifics if you look hard enough.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

That was confirmed, like, literally forever ago. Every other forum discussing Halo 4 is full of bitching about it. People here just haven't brought it up much because we're not dumb.

The thing is, visible ranks just lead to people arguing about their E-Penis all over the place. And excluding each other based on it. You have no idea how many parties (even custom game parties!) I ended up being kicked out of because I got stuck in one of the gold bar ranks in Halo 3.

The only reason people complain about it anyway is that they're idiots. It's still THERE, you just can't see it. It's the best of both worlds. The only things you gain by having ranks visible is bragging rights and the ability to filter out your friends by skill at Halo, neither of which are positive things to anyone over the age of 12.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

They aren't going to ban anyone for playing a day early.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Local Resident posted:

Anybody know of a good place to get a downloadable copy of Halo 1 or 2 for PC? I've never played Halo and wanted to give it a shot.

Uh... piratebay?

I don't think they've ever been digitally distributed. You'll have to buy a CD copy, although that shouldn't be too hard to track down.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

There's no dual wielding. You can (and in fact have to) hold a magnum and a flag at the same time, but in every other situation it's one gun/object at a time.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Meat Mitts posted:

I've heard that you can enter codes twice on separate dewxp accounts. Is this true? If it is, I'll post the 16 12 match codes I got.

I've seen people saying this is the case, and I've seen people saying it isn't. Haven't tried it myself so I have no conclusive data for you.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Meat Mitts posted:

Well then, go nuts on these and see if they work. I've entered these once already, so it will be interesting to see if they work again. The first 2 are from Mountain Dew 24 packs, so its unlikely that someone else has already used the codes.

The first two did not work. The next 10 or so after that did, then the rest came back already used (presumably from someone else in the thread). I'd guess that the doritos codes can be used twice due to being on the outside of the package (good call on their part).

I'll be gifting some of these matches to people in the coupons thread because I feel bad for taking so many of them at once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

The skins are just the overlays on top of the armor models. All the armor (except FOTUS, locus, deadeye, scanner, and strider) are available to everyone. Skins are specific to armors, so yes, the web skin only goes on CIO armor.

• Locked thread