Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Neo Helbeast posted:

Slightly dumb question here. My friend and I are a little confused on the helmet preorders. Are they just early access for specific helmets that are ingame or since we didn't get LE's are screwed out of the Unicorn helmet?

Most preorder bonuses are only skins, and the base armor is still available to everyone. The helmet ones are exceptions. The locus helmet is available only as a preorder or through the 7-11 app. The deadeye helmet is preorder only. The scanner and strider helmets are only with the LE or the map pack.

FOTUS, the unicorn armor, is only available with the console bundle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Batoot posted:

Or in the Limited Edition aswell, if I recall correctly?

No. Only the console.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

The DewXP page still has a countdown of over 13 hours to go. Is that stuff already active or will it not start kicking in until the middle of tomorrow?

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

I knew this was going to happen tye minute they said they wouldn't be doing a beta test. I just want to play the game but the drat servers are still down.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

To be clear, I'd be ignoring the problem and playing campaign except that I promised my little sister I'd wait and do it when she gets home from school.

And to be fair, you can play online just fine. You just can't save your stats or earn commendations or anything, and you get custom game levels of XP (and double XP matches aren't applying). I mean, that's fine and all but it takes away my motivation to play.

Last night was super fun, though, hopefully the server issues will clear up soon and we can go back to that.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Anyone following the "classified" stuff, here's the code that unlocks the helmet:

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

Can you not earn XP when you're playing with a guest? My roommate doesn't have XBL so we do Matchmaking with him as a guest a lot and I never see the XP progress bar come up after a match when the two of us play. Same with Spartan Ops, so I had to run through the whole thing again to get the challenges.

Also, are you notified when you hit the XP barrier because I just suddenly stopped getting XP from War Games without warning. Spartan Ops solo still gave me some though.

I just want more accessories for my Space Barbie :smith:

You earn XP just fine but if you're playing split screen you won't see the breakdown. This happened in Reach, too.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Looking for more help coop campaign legendary GT shiny Pidgey

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Yoinks dont give you a medal anymore ):

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Am I crazy, or did SWAT in Reach and 3 have radar enabled? It feels really weird without it in 4.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

I specialized last night. Went Rogue because I liked the helmet best (aside from operator but because operator is available to everyone I figured I'd start running in to a ton of operators and wanted to look unique). Already I've gotten like ten messages from people asking how I got my helmet or emblem. Why are this many people so ignorant of the basic systems of the game?

Also, one person asked me how I was playing as an Elite, which I thought was hilarious. I assume it's because the helmet looks kinda like the one jet pack elites wear.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Friendly Factory posted:

I'm wondering if 343 just took out Assault altogether

They did. You might be able to reverse-engineer it from the Grifball type?

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

So some guys have been editing gametypes on their PC with hex editors and found some interesting bits and pieces in the settings that aren't available on the player's end. Notably, the grifball can produce a visible and deadly explosion by flipping a hex value. Also notably, there's a gametype icon that's a checkered flag.

While it's less exciting, giving a human player the flood claw makes you basically weaponless. You still stand in the "holding a sword" pose, but the sword/claw is invisible and you attack as if the sword was empty. Translation: you just punch dudes with your big clenched spartan fist.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Here's another waypoint code. Good for 12116xp and an emblem.

To use it, you have to have played Halo 4 on release date (November 6).

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

FOLLOW ME BRUH posted:

:aaaaa: there's more than one of these?! TY!

There's another one that's been found that can't even be used yet because it requires you to have finished next week's episode of Spartan Ops. I think they can/are adding them as they go TBH.

404GoonNotFound posted:

Where are you getting these from anyway?

I'm just getting them from random forums. The people that are finding them are getting them by decoding "secret" messages. Some of them are scattered around the game environment itself (in spartan ops, I think?) while some of them are hidden elsewhere. For example there was an early one tweeted by 343 as a short video clip. You had to open the video in a text editor and cut out the middle bit, reverse it, re-save it as a video and watch the results.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Someone found references to unused gametypes on waypoint. Race (!), Payback, Assassins, and Juggermech (!!).

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

TheGreatGildersneeze posted:

Would you mind linking us to some of this cool poo poo you keep finding? I want to read about cool poo poo, too!

Are these unused as in "in the game but not active," or unused as in "there's reference to them, but they don't actually exist?"

In this case, those are the names for the unused gametype icons I mentioned earlier. I'm hesitant to post a link to the stuff because it's coming from a modding website, and also because the people there are downright embarrassing and I'd rather associate myself with gamefaqs than them.

Some of the modded gametypes might allow for some cool customs, though. Too bad the people there are so obsessed with infection/flood, because the guy that's been doing them by request has made like 500 variants of flood and nothing else of note.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

I gotcha. Either way the bit I quoted is fairly encouraging, whether we get the gametypes later down the road legitimately from 343 or modders upload them to their fileshares. I'd love to see if he can make a version of Race that was scored by kills instead of checkpoints (well, or a version of Race, period).

Wouldn't that just be slayer? Like, just make a custom map with a trait zone that makes players slow/immobile and spawn next to vehicles. Or maybe make a thin soft death zone covering the floor except for at spawns, so that a vehicle will raise you above it but being on foot will give you the "return to battlefield?"

I guess I haven't played around with those zones to tell if these would work.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

This has been an issue occasionally since Halo 3. It's usually just your connection to the file share server timing out and is generally a "their end" issue. You can try resetting your network to see if it's on your end, but honestly you should just give it an hour-ish and see what happens then.

Edit: speaking of the fileshare server, I really wish they'd get the browser up and running sooner than "next month." Been dying for some "terrible mapstravaganza" after matchmaking, especially since with the smaller maps there's much less chance of "yep, W33Dk177ax666 forgot to place spawn points. No, I'm over on the Pillar. Are you in the actual map? No? *sigh* We shoulda just loaded this in Forge."

You can download maps from peoples' fileshares if you know their gamertag. Unfortunately, this limits you to people who post advertising their terrible map somewhere on the internet, but I'll bet plenty of people do. I was able to find a decent remake of The Pit (sans mounted turrets due to budget issues), a passable remake of Lockout, and a remake of Guardian that was poo poo but simple enough to fix up a bit. (Yes, I'm THAT guy in customs) I'm sure you'd be able to find original creations in a similar manner.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

FOLLOW ME BRUH posted:

I can't seem to find any real info on the specializations, any clue how big the XP bonus is for pioneer? That's what I went with. I've been saving a majority of my double XP codes in the hopes that it's significant.

Pioneer bonus applies after double XP, so there's no real benefit to saving the codes.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Specializations aren't a third perk slot. The perk you get from one fits into an existing perk slot (which one depends on the specialization). They are separated by what combinations would be too powerful, I assume. Haven't spent too much time examining in detail what is or isnt possible yet.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

For small maps/small team games

BR
Boltshot
Plasma grenades
Regeneration field
Shielding
Stability

For big team:

DMR
plasma pistol
Plasma grenades
Regeneration field
Mobility or shielding
Ammo

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

FishBulb posted:

What's the deal with the carbine. It seems to have no recoil at all and fires fast as hell is it more hits to kill or something?

The carbine takes 12 shots to kill, compared to the BR and DMR which are 5-shot skills and the LR which is a 4/5 shot kill. It also reloads nearly half the speed of the DMR.

On the other hand, it has no bloom, no recoil, fires as fast as you can pull the trigger, and doesn't distort your peripheral view when scoped in.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

The same thing happens to me in Regicide as happened to me in Halo 3's Lone Wolves list. I feel like I'm playing like garbage, but either through virtue of the other players being even worse or myself underestimating my play, I end up ahead most of the time.

Rarely do I take first, mind you, but I come up in the top 3 somewhere around 90% of the time despite feeling constantly like I'm in last place. It actually kind of seems like if I let myself care about whether I win or not I rank lower than when I don't give a gently caress and just go for cool kills and medals.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Ineffiable posted:

Well technically, I've seen people maxed out already (those that didn't buy the limited edition and are already level 70)

I take it it's a good guess that every map pack will unlock 2 specializations for everyone or something like that?

I'm pretty sure they said that specializations will ultimately be free for everyone. If you played before the 20th you'll get a code in an email on the 30th to unlock them all. The rest of the players will get them when the "community hits certain milestones," but nobody knows what those are yet.

I wonder if people who bought the LE will still get the code. Could probably sell it to folks who bought the game during Black Friday (or otherwise late).

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

The first season, which consists of 10 episodes (so 50 total missions) will be free. A second season is already in the works, and the chance that you'll have to pay for it is relatively high, so I could see it being attached to one of the map packs. Feels like at least the first map pack, being released in December, is too early to be part of that sort of thing, but the next two could possibly be.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Bass Bottles posted:

Where/when was season 2 announced? Not doubting you, just curious.

I played with a 343 goon who mentioned that they were busy working on Season 2 when asked what they were filling their time with post-launch.

Other than that, I don't think there was any official announcement, but its been said in various interviews that they're considering it and that they might charge for future seasons. Frankly the fact that the current season is constantly referred to by 343 as "season one" is pretty telling in and of itself.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

HaloCharts has a guy offering that service. He just downloads your clip in-game, watches it and records it with a capture card, and uploads the finished clip to YouTube.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

raditts posted:

That's true, there's nothing stopping them from making new play modes with the changes people like. Given the title update changes they made for Reach, I'm sure it's only a matter of time.

The megalo stuff (the stuff Bungie hyped as allowing them to create any sort of custom game and showed off with Halo chess) is still in Halo 4's coding, so they can do pretty much whatever. There's also a ton of unused gametype icons which suggest stuff that was never finished. I posted about these earlier, I think. Race is one of them, another was called "JuggerMech."

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

I was talking to a buddy earlier and he had a cool idea. What if Halo 5 is set after MC does whatever he's going to do in Halo 5 and 6, and several more years have passed. You play as your custom Spartan, who is undergoing a training exercise/history lesson in the form of MC's story being retold through a holodeck.

You'd still get the facetime as MC, the story would still be told, but you'd have an in-universe explanation to allow: 1) Gaining exp from the campaign, and 2) Having co-op partners use their own spartans (player one is still pushed into the role of MC obviously).

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

I'd agree with you except that 343 seems to need a plot reason for everything and already removed a bunch of cool stuff because OUR PRECIOUS MP PLOT.

Also maybe I just like it as a narrative framing device.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

-A n i m 8- posted:

Somebody gifted you the codes through facebook.

Does this allow you to bypass the 200-match limit? Otherwise, something else is going on. I had reached and used my 200 matches and got 12 extra games today.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

AndyElusive posted:

Gross. What the hell happened there?

Do you mean how is the person wearing no armor or why does the person look like a ghoul?

The answer to the first question is that he modded it. The answer to the second is that the female spartan model is just a morphed version of the male model. It's not a very good morph either. Obviously nobody is going to be looking at the unarmored model like that very often, but even with armor in certain stances you can see how ugly and stretched out the arms are. A lot of shoulder pieces look hilarious on female models (in a bad way).

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

BabyMauler posted:

Did 343 make themselves special armor to risk getting their accounts hijacked over?

No. They cited this specifically as the reason they didn't.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

kurisu posted:

Just downloaded a 30MB title update. Does anyone know what it does yet?

* Lets everyone playing on your console use your DLC armors.
* Enables a CoD-like final killcam in slayer variant games. This actually existed already but now it shows up in matchmaking games, not just custom games.
* Launching waypoint from the in-game menu doesn't crash the game anymore
* Added a "last strike" medal for getting the game-winning kill in slayer gametypes
* Fixed the issue preventing shield door destroyed medals from being awarded. Also seems to have renamed the medal to "breach?"

Maybe more. Haven has also been fixed to not have ordnance spawn mid-floor and unreachable.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Just downloaded the update for myself and....

Er, well. I didn't lose anything. I'm still my correct rank, etc. But.

I had to watch the intro videos again. My armor, service tag, emblem, stance, etc is all reset to default. Every item I've unlocked is marked as new. My loadouts are all gone.

Good Christ, that is annoying.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

What a terrible tradeoff for some bugfixes and additional features. :rolleyes:

Woah there, buddy. I said it was annoying, not "gently caress 343, I'm never playing this game again!"

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Map pack is available for pass/LE owners now. Just select marketplace from the game's main menu and it will immediately ask you to confirm the download.

Edit: it's actually free for everyone right now. :siren:

Funkmaster General fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Dec 10, 2012

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Booties, Fart, and friends: I'll be back on in a moment. I'm having issues with my profile. I keep getting an error from Halo that says "couldn't write to your profile," which also triggers my gamerscore being reset to 0 until I dashboard and all my armor being removed (making me a headless ghoul in a bodysuit). About the time someone on the enemy team sent me a message calling me a hacker I figured out it wasn't only effecting my view of myself and figured I should try recovering my profile. I imagine that, on top of being a hilarious headless man, it would probably be preventing me from gaining XP, achievements, or commendations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Geno posted:

This is my first Halo game I've owned. I pretty much play it solely for the Multiplayer. Is it pretty much mandatory to buy the map packs?

As far as actually accessing and playing MP goes, no, you'll be totally fine.

If you play with goons, though, it's typically poor etiquette to join groups when you don't have the maps, unless you notify them first and they say it isn't a big deal.

• Locked thread