Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

I talked to that guy who works at 343 industries about that kinect thing some more. He said they didn't really integrate it, though they played around with it with the waypoint system they use. He said they might do something involving kinect with their next project, but he's kind of annoyed that they don't have any info on the next console so they can start working on Halo 5. Poor bastard barely gets out of there, he's got a chance at sunshine(even in Seattle) if they don't go whole hog into halo 5.

Haha what? 343 doesn't have a dev unit for the next XBox yet? I doubt this story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Dirty posted:

It seems surprising. I was convinced for a while that they would be developing Halo 4 for both consoles, so that it can be either a launch title for the new console (unlikely) or a re-release further down the line like CEA.

I suppose if the new console has vastly different architecture, there's no cost saving in developing for both consoles at once - you still have to build for one then port to the other, might as well do the other later when there's specific budget for it.

Either way, I just assumed, with the 360 probably in it's last year, they'd put the big new trilogy on the new hardware. Or perhaps they want to hook players now, and Halo 5 will be next-gen only, making us all want to upgrade. Seems highly unlikely we'll see another Halo game on 360 after Halo 4. Just remembering how swiftly the original Xbox releases pretty much stopped dead the second the 360 came out.

Yep, seems odd that there probably won't be a new Halo or Gears of War game at the launch of the new system because both franchises will have had a game come out within the last year. Maybe Bungie's project Destiny will fill the spot and Epic will launch a new Microsoft only IP or something.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Leon Einstein posted:

I've been burned on every single map pack released for every single Halo. They never come up, and it was all a big waste of money.

Halo 2 was hilarious in this regard. You bought the map pack and got to play them on a special playlist with everyone else who got the map packs. In 2 months or something the map pack became free for everyone. What was the point?

Paid map packs are the worst. They do nothing but split the playerbase and shorten the lifespan of any game I've bought that has them. Mass Effect 3 on the other hand I've returned to everytime they release a free map pack + more classes.

AngryBooch fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Oct 4, 2012

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
How big is the Infiinity exactly? Was it ramming a covenant super carrier without even thinking in that trailer?

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

You know, after names like Pillar of Autumn, Forward Unto Dawn, and In Amber Clad, Infinity sounds pretty lame, like the UNSC stopped caring.

For sure, I wish Infinity had stuck to that weird and unique naming scheme. Maybe Infinity is short for 'Reflection on Infinity' or something.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Me and my brother played through the entire campaign in split-screen in one night. He was disappointed the Flood didn't show up. :v: He's the one guy.

We're also sharp enough to follow the story of every Halo game prior to 4 easily enough without internet help or expanded universe stuff (I only say this because a lot of people didn't seem to understand the story of the original trilogy apparently) but we both lost the plot about halfway through this one. One or two too many McGuffins with weirdly specific names thrown around and a seemingly huge twist just mentioned in passing for literally 2 seconds.

We both were pretty glad that our predictions about what was going to happen to Cortana were wrong though.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Arrath posted:

And after the Covenant invasion they had enough intact orbital industry around Earth to build the Infinity in like 4 years? Doesn't seem likely, that thing is fuckin huge.

Unless by 'prototype phase' or whatever Cortana said when Chief asked she meant "Being built in some random no-where system in top secret like a death star"

I'm guessing unlimited space money too.

Welp thats some :goonsay:

Infinity was being built during the war with the Covenant. I remember a line from a trailer that the Infinity was "built for war but repurposed for peace."

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Danyull posted:

Why the gently caress would they make a daily challenge out of using automatic load out guns when they're completely unable to beat any other gun in the game except when you the drop on them at very close range and sometimes not even then?

So more people will use them and discover how good they actually are or something (except they're not and that's why nobody uses them).

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

MickRaider posted:

No one buys the maps because the no one plays the maps because no one buys the maps because....

...splitting your playerbase is dumb.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

MickRaider posted:

What other solution do you propose. Technically there is no split just the probability of 16 people having the maps doesn't work out well for BTB when no one buys them because they think they can't play them

Do something totally revolutionary that's never been done by any other popular multiplayer games ever including Halo 2 and make them free.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

MickRaider posted:

Yeah gently caress game developers. Why do they deserve to make money. I already BOUGHT the game. I'm entitled to a lifetime of free play and support.

:rolleyes:

Man, chill. Don't bring "entitled" into this, I'm just saying other multiplayer games have free map packs in order to not split the community and to keep players playing. Halo 4 multiplayer is by no means free, I payed $60 for the game and $60 a year for Live.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

MickRaider posted:

You must not have played a COD game in the last 5 years. Every single one of them has paid map packs.

Btw you're a sucker if you really pay 60 and 60. I got Halo 4 on launch day for 45 dollars and my yearly xbox live is like $35/yr

I have played them and funnily enough I stop playing the multiplayer in them usually around the time the first map pack hits. No doubt other games have map packs you pay for as well, this is not in dispute. And I know why developers do it and publishers demand it because the margins are incredibly high on that stuff so they don't really need to sell that many in order to make a nice profit. I just think maybe generating a little consumer good will would be nice because as it stands, I'm probably skipping the next XBox and Halo 5 because I'm just tired of this stuff.

$45 + $35 still doesn't equal free dude.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

MickRaider posted:

Yeah it gets me access to xbox live and halo 4. I'm not expecting anything else, because I don't feel entitled to anything else.

And yes you have an entitlement issue. I hope you enjoy PSLive. I hear it's awful

Jeez I think you're being pretty unreasonable but good luck with your Halo Customs website that had to be made because the technology for a P2P server browser for custom game types doesn't exist or something. And I don't think I'm entitled when other (some much less financially succesful) games offer free map packs and add-on content (Mass Effect 3, Starhawk, Minecraft 360, Left 4 Dead, Monday Night Combat) or free peer-to-peer or even server based multiplayer services and don't have silly fanboys jumping at the chance to be nickel and dimed or prevented from playing new maps because their buddies don't want to buy them.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

BabyMauler posted:

Exactly, I think I bought Jet Force Gemeni back in the day and it was something like 80$. Super Mario Bros. 2 was 75$.

Yeah they were pricey but manufacturing just the game cartridge was like $15 back then compared to less than a buck for pressing a CD. You should be comparing PC game prices then and now.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
It took me several missions of wondering why I was dying so often and putting whole clips of DMR headshots into poo poo in Spartan Ops to realize that the default difficulty is now Legendary. Whatever, not like there's a penalty for dying. Also the lag is really bad in Spartan Ops still.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Joey Donuts posted:

So is the Harvester in Spartan Ops this week just lazy design or is it something new in the Halo universe? It doesn't really resemble Covenant or Forerunner tech and in fact looks closer to Flood repurposing. I don't think 343 is above making things look "cool" even if they serve no fictional purpose (see: MC's suit redesign, the Covenant summer fashion series, or Cortana's booty), but I hope it's more than that. It'd be cool if we get some genuine plot revelations in Spartan Ops.

It looked like a big Scarab to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Nickname Pending posted:

So I haven't played the last two weeks of Spartan Ops, and not sure if I will get to this weeks one or not. Have I missed any particular fun moments or good story bits, or would I be completely fine just not playing them at all?

Yeah, some pretty drat big things happen.

• Locked thread