Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."

Psion posted:

... The game rewards headshots, and precision guns get them reliably and repeatedly. Automatics don't...

As long as headshots remain as overpowered as they are compared to any other hit precision weapons will be the only thing worth using. It's not a weapon balance issue, it's a hit damage issue. Even if we both have DMRs if I'm hitting you in the head and you're hitting me center of mass, shot for shot I'm going to win. The game rewards headshots, if you can land them you win, period.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

Tighclops posted:

There are almost certainly secondary environmental, nuclear winter-like effects from glassing even relatively small portions of a planet's surface that would have contributed to rendering them uninhabitable or difficult to continue living on. But yeah, I guess the apocalypse really wasn't that horrific after all, kind of takes the punch out of these games.

"You are a child of my makers, inheritors of all they left behind. You are Forerunner, but this ring... is mine!”

Everything story wise after Halo 3 is obviously tacked-on, ret-conned, increasingly convoluted garbage that can be chalked up solely to Microsoft begin unwilling to let their premier franchise end.

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

MickRaider posted:

Meh. I think they have a good team of people and when they're not struggling to add features into an outdated engine they'll have more time to focus on making better decisions. Not "What can we do"

The only problem I have with Halo 4 that can be blamed on the engine alone is that it can't keep dropped weapons on the map for more than a few seconds. Everything else is something 343 chose to do.

That they got the game to look this good is in fact a testament to some outstanding technical ability at 343, but the engine isn't what has been driving people away from the game.

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

Why did Halo 4 come out when it did? Was 343 told to make Halo 4 on the 360 purely as a test run to see if they could handle the property? Because to me it seems that missing the opportunity to start a new Halo trilogy with the first game being a launch title for the Xbone is a pretty big missed opportunity.

4 came out almost exactly a year before the Xbone is going to launch, at a time when the 360 was clearly about maxed out for what the hardware could deliver. Is Halo 4 basically a sacrificial release to see what they could get away with changing? Even if they learn a lot from the experience it isn't really comforting to know that that was the driving motivation behind the game

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

Spartan Ops is a great idea in theory, but practically it was never going to work. There was never the resources it would have needed to exist along side the campaign and multi-player.

Something like Titanfall is going to be doing could work by focusing more on the story development than the PvP, but it would have to be the whole game to be anything more than recycled maps and game play.

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

From the perspective of someone who primarily plays the campaign and who has also bought Xboxs primarily for Halo and likely won't be buying more in the future: 343i's story is a convoluted mess, far too dependent on extended universe media, full of flat uninteresting characters and ret-cons that range from confusing to infuriating. They have done absolutely nothing to convince me that the Chief's story needed to continue being told and they failed to deliver anything interesting in Spartan Ops.

Edit: None of this has anything to do with the game engine by the way.

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

MickRaider posted:

I thought Halo 4's story was tied into the novels.

Which I consider a problem. I'm not interested in reading game tie-in novels and I shouldn't have to in order to understand the story in the campaign.

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

MickRaider posted:

But what about the people who are? A lot of people really like the novels and called for more tie in's.

Tie-in's are one thing and if you like them I don't have any problem with that. What I have a problem with is having to have read them in order to be able to tell what the hell is happening in the campaign.

Previous Halo books have extended and filled in the back story of the Universe as I understand them. I had to read summaries of the more recent books to sort out what was happening in 4.

Edit: I've posted this before in relation to the story. It's pretty clear where Bungie was going: "You are the child of my makers. Inheritor of all they left behind. You are Forerunner." -- 343 Guilty Spark

sunday at work fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Nov 22, 2013

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

Load outs, perma-sprint, and crappy playlist management weren't caused by the engine. The only directly engine related complaint I've ever made about the game was how quickly dropped weapons vanish. 4 was almost university praised for the graphics it managed to squeeze out of the 360 and the fact that the engine is still running at all is pretty amazing.

The vast majority of problems people have with the game thus far aren't technical.

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

Lightning Knight posted:

You know, it's this kind of thing that lends credit to the idea that Halo fans really don't want new Halo games, just remakes of the old ones for eternity. You really don't want anything to change? What's the point, then? A new campaign for a boring storyline and the same old multiplayer, probably with a lot of the changes from 4 rolled back? That sounds terrible, to me.

I just don't understand. :(

When I want something that is different than Halo, I play a different game. When I want to play Halo, I want to play Halo. I've been playing Halo for years and would continue to if I could.

The problem with changing Halo too much is that eventually you might as well just develop a new title so you can change make big changes without losing what brought people on in the first place.

I hope Titanfall can be this generations Xbox seller so i can go back to playing Halo how it used to be.

sunday at work fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Dec 2, 2013

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

Sparth sounds like the name of a talking animal side-kick from an 80's cartoon.

The Infinity is such a boring design made all the worse by changing the design of the frigates to match it.

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

The problem with Halo is the same problem any franchise has when it's stretched beyond the point it should have ended: the interesting story has been told and now the owners are clearly just dragging things out to try and keep the money coming in while the rest of the world has moved on. Microsoft isn't going to give up their premier franchise (especially in a new generation where the Xbox can't dominate on hardware, online experience, or exclusives anymore) but they aren't going to keep or win fans by slapping a veneer of Halo onto games that are otherwise poorly written, generic space FPSs in a Universe where the story and characters that originally grabbed peoples attention have already been satisfyingly wrapped up.

And now they are going to do the same thing to Gears that they have been doing to Halo (keep making games so they have something with a recognizable brand, gently caress with the story to keep the universe moving, and change mechanics enough to alienate fans but not enough to really innovate and draw in new players).

sunday at work fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jan 30, 2014

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

Wasn't finishing the fight the campaign from 3? I know it's not how Bungie originally intended things to play out but Chief jumps off the Forerunner Dreadnought, lands in Africa and immediately gets back to fighting the Covenant. Where does some EU tie in happen in between?

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

Yeah, they're gonna code all this stuff back in because this whole thing is a love letter to the fans and not a money grab/desperate attempt to keep Halo relevant.

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

Neo Helbeast posted:

"Stories need to stand alone, whether they're books, in the game, different animation and live action. The game has to stand alone and each of the stories has to stand alone. They are better together, but we're never making fans do the homework to make sure they understand all of these.”

Someone at 343 said this? Surely this is something they learned, because you had to read at least a trilogy to understand what was going on in Halo 4.

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

MrBond posted:

The part that I didn't understand was apparently his wife cause MC to "evolve" somehow? So he's now actually super-human or something? I'm not sure how this actually helps humanity other than he doesn't vaporize when the didact zaps everyone. Come on lady, help the rest of us out too.

The part I really didn't understand (and what really shows off just how big a retcon 343s new story line is) is why, if the Forerunners had a Dyson Sphere that you could survive the firing of the Halo Array inside of, why didn't they cram as many Forerunners as they could inside it instead of locking up the one guy who had a hard on for killing the people (humans, who were clearly some relation to the Forerunners, not a separate species) they are trying to preserve?

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

As much as I want to be excited for the collection, when I really think about it, most of my nostalgia is for the time not the games per se, and no amount of HD remakes is ever going to recapture that.

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

PC Halo would be death knell of the bone.

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

Namaste posted:

Edit: Also, it kind of looks like they gave Cortana clothes. What's with the uniform collar looking thing on her neck?

Maybe 343 is retconning in clothes for her in past games so they can come out with a web-sieres, live action show, and trilogy of novels to explain how she lost them when they switched her model from 'hologram' to straight-up-naked-blue-lady.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

I'll give 343 points for admitting every change they made to Halo was bad changing course from Halo 4 in response to getting constantly poo poo on for two years while watching the community evaporate community feedback, but in all honesty nothing they've shown so far is making me excited for another Halo.

• Locked thread