Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
I asked this a long time ago in the old thread and never got an answer, but has there been any confirmation on whether there will be up to 16-player splitscreen/syslink in Halo 4, like in the previous titles? I'm assuming there will be but I haven't seen it in any of the preview stuff yet. How did they have it set up at PAX?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

TheGreatGildersneeze posted:

Oh good, they added kill-cams. I was so hoping my position would be given away every time I kill someone!
I don't understand why any FPS developer would want to add killcams to their games. It's basically a giant scream of "HEY LOOK AT HOW BAD OUR NETCODE IS" every time you die.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

V for Vegans posted:

You still have the accumulative rank to rank up, but eventually everyone will get high up on the by playing long enough. Most games now hide the true skill, and in games like battlefield, you can find it if you want, but it is very complicated. Still leads to people bragging about it though. If you're good at a game, you will beat other players and win most games, you don't need an extra number beside your name to prove that.
And on top of that all ranking systems inevitably lead to people who are not at the top bitching about how the ranks are measured the wrong way, because you see, if the ranks TRULY measured skill, they'd be listed as the best player ever all of the time.

Or people raising accounts to the highest rank and loving selling them to spergy kids with too much money, who will lose the rank in less than a day after losing a bunch of matches to people who were actually capable of obtaining the rank legitimately.

Or people who, for whatever reason, will buy a new account just so they can be at the lowest rank and totally own everyone else.

Visible ranking systems are loving useless.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

I said come in! posted:

So this explains the lack of a skill ranking system that we can see; http://blogs.halowaypoint.com/post/2012/11/02/Halo-4-Competitive-Skill-Rank-Announcement.aspx it's going to be implemented early next year.
The report makes it sound like it's only going to show up in Halo Waypoint and not in the game itself. Am I misreading that? If that's the case then I don't really care; there was a similar thing on your stats webpage for Reach but it never showed up in game, so there wasn't any taunting about it during matchmaking.

Then again when I played Reach I almost exclusively did so in a party, so I couldn't hear the other team anyway.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

I said come in! posted:

343, please ignore the MLG, it's not relevant and no one cares about it. :(
Honestly I'm fine with just giving them their own playlist and throwing them into it. Let them have all their whiny arguments there instead of making GBS threads up the other lists.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Sultan Tarquin posted:

It's a power weapon. You can get it randomly in an ordinance drop or a map spawn.
What about the sword? This is important. :ohdear:

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Hey assbutts!

I went ahead and created the Halo4Goons metatag. Y'all should get on it.

:siren:HOW TO USE THE METATAG:siren: (for those of you who haven't done this before)
  1. Send a friend request to Halo4Goons
  2. Go to http://live.xbox.com and log in with halo4goons@yahoo.com, password: lljklljk
  3. Accept your own friend request
  4. When you're playing and you want to invite goons, go to your friends list and find and select Halo4Goons
  5. On the gamercard go to the right and select "View Friends"
  6. Voila, there are your goons! Invite them to your game!

Enjoy! :) OP, wanna add this to the first post?

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

So is "Slayer Pro" the stupid no-radar/no-abilities/DMR-only shitfest it was in Reach? Or does it basically mean "old-style Slayer" now?

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Sultan Tarquin posted:

I just finished a game and it was hands down one of the single most boring games of Halo I've ever played.

No custom loadouts, no radar, no armour ability and barely any power weapons. You get to choose from "Pro DMR" "Pro BR" and "Pro AR" They all come with 1 regular frag each , the magnum and that's it.
Motherfucker. :argh: So where is the old-style Slayer, then? Does it even exist outside of custom games?

Out of curiosity, though, there are still weapons lying around on the maps, right? As in, you can get them outside of ordnance drops?

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Daric posted:

What was the metatag, I can't seem to find it.

Don't really like self-quoting buuut...

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Hey assbutts!

I went ahead and created the Halo4Goons metatag. Y'all should get on it.

:siren:HOW TO USE THE METATAG:siren: (for those of you who haven't done this before)
  1. Send a friend request to Halo4Goons
  2. Go to http://live.xbox.com and log in with halo4goons@yahoo.com, password: lljklljk
  3. Accept your own friend request
  4. When you're playing and you want to invite goons, go to your friends list and find and select Halo4Goons
  5. On the gamercard go to the right and select "View Friends"
  6. Voila, there are your goons! Invite them to your game!

Enjoy! :) OP, wanna add this to the first post?

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

thetrin posted:

If you only have a regular edition of the game, how do you get the other specializations?
Wait until the 20th.

No, seriously, that's what you do. As long as you've played at least one multiplayer game, which I assume you have, all the specializations will appear on the 20th.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Ularg posted:

I didn't see them unlocked for me. They require special commendations I think.
Even if you can see them they're locked until you hit rank 50. Then once you pick a specialization you can't pick a new one until you max out the rank for that specialization as well.

EDIT: To be clear, if you've played at least one multiplayer game, all of the specializations will appear for you on the 20th. That doesn't mean they'll be unlocked; you have to reach rank 50 to unlock them.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

So it's probably a little early for people to be dicking around with Forge/customs, but if any of you have, I have a question that hopefully someone can answer. When you go into custom games, one of the game options you can set is whether "Map Loadouts" are enabled or disabled. Presumably you can set up loadouts specific to certain maps, because when you play online there's usually two extra loadouts to choose from. The question is, where the hell do you set those? Maybe I'm just retarded but I can't find them in Forge or the game options. Anyone figured this out?

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

I'm still not quite sure how to feel about this game. Ever since Halo 3 I've been resisting using the headshot weapons like the BR and DMR in multiplayer, but Halo 4 seems to be pushing those weapons like never before. Now literally everyone has one at all times and there's no point in using any other weapons because the BR and DMR beat everything. The fact that power weapons are randomized just makes it worse, because now you can't count on anything good showing up. You just have to keep on using your BR/DMR and hope that something interesting falls into your lap. If not, too bad!

Maybe I'm just a scrub BK but I always preferred AR starts and knowing where weapons were going to be. What really disappoints me is that 343 didn't even add having weapons on the map as an option. I really hope they'll reconsider and add a "Slayer Classic" playlist soon.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Leon Einstein posted:

It's even easier to find weapons now though? They have big indicators pointing directly to where they are.
That's why I said "going to be" instead of "are." Once a weapon is on the map you can find it with no trouble, but there's no indication of where it's going to appear. I'd prefer to be able to say "this is the shotgun spawn and it's coming back soon, let's control it" instead of "weapons are spawning soon, but we have no idea what's coming or where, so let's hope a weapon falls near us."

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

In what mode? You can certainly go in to Forge and place weapons all day long. You can also place ordinance drops on a timer and set the weapon to be the same thing every time so it stands up on a drop pedestal all fancy lookin'.
I worded that badly. What annoys me isn't that there's no option to place weapons (there is), but that none of the maps have any weapons on them to begin with in Forge. When 343 first started talking about Infinity Slayer, what I was hoping they'd do is still have weapons on the maps as a base, but that there would be a "weapons on map" setting that you could set and Infinity Slayer would just have it at "off."

Basically I'm just lazy and I was hoping 343 would have placed weapons for me if I wanted to play "classic" Slayer. Though admittedly it might be possible to set this up without touching Forge by playing with the ordnance settings.

On an related note, I'm diggin' the addition of trait zones in Forge. Making a bigass one that covers the entire map and setting it to apply to a single team means I can finally give traits only to specific players. I've been wanting to do that since Halo 3.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

thetrin posted:

I'm curious about this, what kinds of traits can you give players?
Pretty much anything that you can set as player traits in options for a gametype. Player movement speed and gravity, damage multipliers and resistance, ability to use armor abilities and vehicles, radar and waypoint settings, player appearance... the list goes on. The only thing I'm pretty sure you can't do with trait zones (but you can do with gametype options) is give a player weapons. It's kind of annoying but I guess it makes sense, since I don't think you'd want to force a player to constantly switch weapons as he steps in and out of a trait zone.

You can also set a trait zone to only apply to a specific team, which is something I've been waiting for. My buddies and I have LAN parties pretty regularly and one of the things we loved doing in Reach was inserting my fiancee and other less experienced friends of ours into the game--as Gravity Hammer-wielding Elites that you aren't allowed to kill. It makes the game a fuckload more hectic and hilarious and also lets our less-skilled friends play with us without constantly getting owned. The problem is, since we aren't allowed to kill them, their hammers will always run out of charge eventually. With team-specific trait zones I can give infinite ammo to only them. :q:

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Raioner posted:

This is an amazing idea and I'm going to steal it from you.
Go ahead! The team-specific trait zones means you can just make the hammer-wielders invincible, but if you want a really fun game you should use the house rules we used in Reach before that was possible:
  • Although hammer-wielders can die, regular players are not allowed to kill them. Hammer-wielders can kill each other if there's more than one.
  • If you kill a hammer-wielder, you must announce your mistake and then kill yourself, to erase your ill-gotten point. Spectacular suicides are highly encouraged.
  • If you kill a hammer-wielder and your point ends the game, the hammer-wielder is the winner.
Bear in mind that this only really works if your chosen hammer-wielder is new to Halo and FPSes in general, because otherwise she'll just kill everyone without breaking a sweat and it'll be no fun. Not knowing whether the approaching hammer-wielder is going to smash you, or instead forget how to use her controller and run into a wall, is what makes the mode tense and awesome.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

So apparently my xbox has decided that it's not going to connect to any Halo 4 parties ever. I'm connected to Live and I can do matchmaking, but any attempt to connect to other goons just gives me the message "You were unable to connect to the party."

It's not a networking thing, either, because I can join the same people's Xbox parties, have open NAT, and from a quick google search this has been happening to tons of people since this afternoon. What the gently caress kind of party system is this?

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Y'know, I knew about that and somehow it slipped my mind. Only real downside to doing this is you lose the little charging indicators from your HUD, and with audio cues that's pretty minor. Still, the gun feels unnecessary since the Laser is functionally the same gun but outclasses it in pretty much every way. It's hitscan, has a real scope, one-shots most vehicles and FUBARs the vehicles it doesn't down to "oh just shoot the tank with your pistol, you big babies" status.

Kinda like the Light Rifle; I can either have a really weak BR or a DMR that runs out of ammo at a ridiculous rate. Even with that MP glitch to make the burst as strong as the single-fire it runs out of ammo way too fast.
I dunno, I've been using the Railgun a lot on Ragnarok and like calling it down when it shows up in my ordnance. It's a pretty decent gun in my opinion, but it's only useful in certain situations. Kinda like the laser to be honest.

You claim that the railgun is just a worse laser, but that makes me think you're trying to use it like a laser, when that's not what it's for. I'd actually say that it's essentially the anti-laser, and if you try to use it like a laser you'll naturally be disappointed. The laser is only useful at longer ranges and against vehicles, whereas the railgun is perfect for closer-range combat against other Spartans. Paired with the Dexterity upgrade you can easily get off two shots in any engagement, and you only need one to hit to get the kill. Plus it's satisfying as gently caress. Diff'rent strokes I guess.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

If you miss the first shot, you're dead unless the other guy can't aim for poo poo. Dexterity or not, five shots from a BR/DMR/Magnum or a mag full of AR is happening well before two with a railgun.

Don't get me wrong, a cross map rail-gunning is grand, but it just feels like the role is already filled to me by a better and more powerful gun. Also, the laser Bulltrue I got says different about your "only useful at longer ranges" chicanery! :colbert:
Right, but that's my point: if you're trying to go for a cross-map railgun kill, you're not using the thing right. In my experience the railgun is best used at close-but-outside-melee range, since your opponent is likely doing the DMR sidestep dance, which makes him really easy to hit. It's kind of like a shotgun, except instead of spending a second getting into range, you spend a second charging the gun.

Basically I don't think it makes sense to say the railgun's "role" is better served by the laser, because they don't have the same roles. Sure, you can get cross-map railgun kills and laser bulltrues and they're both loving awesome, but you shouldn't be going for those unless you don't have a choice.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

DOES NOT COMPUTE.
Well maybe if you used the weapons as they're intended to be used instead of going for sick shots to put in your montage, you wouldn't be such a scrublord. :colbert:

Reive posted:

The only thing I can't agree on regarding bans is quitting matches, I don't quit out of rage, I quit when my team is a bunch of idiots that can't play worth poo poo while the enemy is fairly competent, which is often.

Just don't give me any points for quitting and quickly replace me, it really shouldn't be a big deal, if you don't want me leaving dumb asses to fend for themselves then don't give me the option.
The problem with this is that it results in a new player getting forced into a game that he has no hope of winning. That's even more annoying than getting stuck with a lovely team.

EDIT: Also quitting because your team sucks is pretty much the textbook definition of quitting out of rage

TheOneAndOnlyT fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Nov 13, 2012

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Reive posted:

It isn't though? Rage quitters are usually people who rage when they get owned repeatedly and thus quit, usually a personal thing.
My scenario doesn't even have anger, just disappointment, if you want to call me a 'sigh quitter' go ahead :v:

But really all I'm saying is a ban seems way too harsh, what happened to the timeouts from Reach?
You're still quitting because the game isn't going the way you want it to. That sort of behavior should be discouraged. 343 is not obligated to tailor your experience so that you win all the time, and anyone who quits because they're losing just makes the game worse for everyone else.

Like Gildersneeze said, you should either play FFA or join up with a party. We've got two metatags now; that's over 100 cool goons you could play with. We won't bite.

EDIT: Also, 343's use of "ban" isn't really the same as it is here. From the looks of things most "bans" are just for a day or two. You can get banned permanently but I'd imagine you have to do some pretty egregious poo poo for that to happen.

TheOneAndOnlyT fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Nov 13, 2012

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Dilkington posted:

So what's the word on weapon spawns? Will they be reintroduced in playlists or map packs? Is it possible to create gametypes+maps that emulate older games?
No idea on whether they'll be reintroduced, but you can create weapon spawns using the "initial drop" forge item, by giving it a respawn time. The weapons will still drop into the map like ordnance but they'll respawn on a set timer like in the older Halos.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Holy Calamity! posted:

Currently in a game in which the majority of our team hasn't spawned once from their perspective and the enemy team is nearing victory, really a++ stuff
This was the most surreal loving game. I ended up on the other team because we had 9 people and from my perspective all of you guys were just AFK, except for pidgey who somehow managed to fight back. Of course I couldn't hear y'all because I was on the other team, so I spent the entire match trying to figure out if you were playing a big joke or something. Weird as gently caress.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Azran posted:

So, Specializations are like Prestiges that grant perks?

My game got delayed by a nation-wide strike, so I won't be able to enjoy sweet new Halo until Thursday, and the wiki isn't quite clear, that's why I'm asking stupid questions. :v:
Not really, you still get to keep all your poo poo AFAIK. Basically you tell the game "I wanna get this perk next" and then you have to grind out ten ranks to get it. I think you also get things like logos and armor pieces during those ten ranks as well.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

madadric posted:

I think tac packages and support upgrades are in different slots to keep things balanced. You can't have fast reload and fast shield recharge at the same time, etc.
Sure you can, I have that setup on all my loadouts. Shielding is a tactical package and Dexterity is support.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Davincie posted:

The first few games of BTB are really fun, I ended up getting ridiculious k/d ratios of like +26 and such. However later on when playing you get paired with the other nerds that get such ratios and it becomes quite a bit harder.
No poo poo, some other goons and I ran into a group of 8 on Exile in BTB the other day and it was the worst loss I think I've ever experienced in a Halo game. These guys had half their team controlling the sniper and other power weapons and the other half being loving guards for the power weapon holders, and stayed at the perfect distance away so we'd always spawn in the same spot and they could continue owning us. Final score was something like 1000-130. I couldn't even be mad at them because it was clear that they had been practicing this poo poo for days and had it down to a science.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Leon Einstein posted:

I'm up to level 5 on campaign, and I played a few co-op, but the last few I've beaten solo. Anyway, when I go through the levels, it shows that I have beaten one of them. How does that even make sense? I've had the same issue with Reach. I really don't want to solo some of those levels again on legendary. What gives?
When you played solo, did you ever start a mission from a rally point instead of continuing from your current save?

That's likely your problem. In order to count a mission as complete, you have to complete a mission in one run, and use "Save & Quit" to pause and "Resume Campaign" to resume if you need to take a break. I had a similar thing happen to me in Halo 3 when the game checkpointed me as I was falling off a cliff. I restarted from a rally point and didn't get credit for completing the mission.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Edit: although I will say that killcams are going to make jousting 400% more awesome!
loving truth. We tried a two-team test of a jousting map awhile back and even with just two mongeese the killcams were loving incredible. I am so down for future jousting.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Cragz posted:

I bought the pass moments before reading the map pack went up for free! Of all the luck!
I think they fixed it, I'm seeing it at 800 points again on the xbox site.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Ahahahaha, gently caress what I said earlier, I was just able to download the maps for free through the game menu. How on earth have they not fixed this after like 18 hours? Part of me is thinking this must be intentional somehow, but I can't for the life of me figure out what they'd gain from this if it was.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Nickname Pending posted:

Why is it, that when during capture the flag, my team will often just running around trying to kill people instead of actually going for the enemy flag?
Because it's way easier to pump up your sick KDR bro when you're playing a mode where, instead of getting killed over and over because all of your opponents are better than you, you can grab some kills while they're distracted by silly things like the flag.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Vietnamwees posted:

The whole pump up ma sick KDR mentality never made any loving sense to me, because there's game win/lose ratio as well, which is probably a better indicator of how good you are at a game, instead of just k/d alone.
Sounds like someone has a lovely KDR.

I'm kidding, but the debate over whether KDR or W/L is a better indicator of skill is completely pointless anyway, because the only people who care about that poo poo are adolescent kids who will instantly latch on to any piece of data that says they're the best.

Really nobody should give a poo poo because there's a million ways you can be "good" at Halo that won't necessarily be reflected in your stats. What if you focus on being the guy who drives the flag bearer home in CTF? Your KDR will be nil since you're driving all the time, and if you aren't paired with a team that can actually get the flag you'll lose, but nobody will argue that flag drivers aren't useful. Just play the goddamn game and try to help out with the objective somehow. That's really all you need to do.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Hamburlgar posted:

For those that don't know what "Jurrasic Park" is, watch this.
I'm at work and can't watch videos with sound, what's the objective here?

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

sticksy posted:

Has anyone else had problems with the XP from the daily/weekly etc challenges unlocking correctly? This morning I got the Waypoint "To Be Precise" for 200 kills with precision loadout weapon challenge that was supposed to be for 7000 XP - it shows up as completed but at the end of the match, nothing and my overall XP/rank didn't rise either. I believe it's happened for a couple of the smaller daily ones as well for me.

Not the end of the world or a game-breaker, just frustrating that they set it up this way and I couldn't get the XP.
You are getting the XP, the game just isn't showing it like it did in Reach. When you finish a game and it lists your XP sources, the game won't acknowledge the challenges you finished, but if you watch the XP bar it'll actually fill up to the correct amount.

No loving idea why 343 decided to do things that way.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

AwkwardKnob posted:

Now I hear they're taking away the DLC maps? That's enormously Scroogey of them to do. Like, I'm totally behind 343 and their plans for Halo at this point, but even I must admit at this point that they're coming off almost remarkably amateurish in their extended handling of Halo 4.
I cannot understand how so many people are getting upset over this. The maps were not supposed to be free. We knew before they were released that the maps were not supposed to be free. Up until the release date nobody actually thought that the maps were going to be available for free. And yet somehow there are a sizable number of people who think that 343 actually trying to charge for the maps that they were going to charge for anyway is "enormously Scroogey".

I'd prefer free maps as well, but come the gently caress on. Their handling of this issue was poor but I don't think it's fair to fault 343 for trying to fix their own fuckup.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Namaste posted:

It's not because the maps weren't supposed to be free. It's about the fact that they majorly screwed up a code promised to every player that logged into the new edition of their flagship title at launch (a code they sent to practically EVERYONE; even players who bought the Limited Edition/map pack pass), and rather than admit they made a mistake and that code bugged out and gave a ton of people their new map pack for free, they pulled a new "trial program" completely out of their rear end and then title updated the maps away.
There's a difference between being upset with MS/343 for causing major issues with the launches of Halo 4 and the DLC, and being upset with them for "taking away" the DLC maps as though you somehow deserve them for free.

I'm not trying to argue that the shenanigans with the DLC maps weren't a colossal fuckup on MS or 343's part, or that they shouldn't take any blame for it. What I take issue with is the people acting as though they are entitled to free DLC because of that mistake. That may not be your view, but the guy who called charging for the maps "enormously Scroogey" and a whole fuckton of people elsewhere on the internet certainly give off the impression of feeling that way. It's the feeling of being "owed" free maps that I think is stupid, not any other comments people are making.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

kstatix posted:

I really wish I did some research before I bought this game. Old buddy of mine have played every halo and some of the best gaming sessions of my life involved me playing doubles with him. Only after we bought the game did we realize there's no doubles and this is probably the most disappointing game purchase I've ever made. I don't even use my Xbox except for halo. I haven't been able to dig up any official information about them releasing a doubles option and I apologize if this has been brought up and beat to death but I skimmed the last several pages and didn't see anything on it.
Six posts before yours, dude.

"Early 2013" for Forge maps; not sure about gametypes. Team Doubles is supposed to be sometime around then, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

They conduct these meetings in-game? Why? Just use loving party chat.
But a clan has to have a base! Ugh, don't you know ANYTHING Mom?!

Remember how when you were a little kid you thought it'd be awesome if you had a treehouse and a secret club that would meet there? This is basically that in video game form. It should also tell you something about the average age of those who do it.

• Locked thread