Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
At least now instead of having every forge map be a grassy field we can have forge maps be either a grassy field or a moon base. It's an improvement,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Spaz Medicine posted:

How does Halo 2 run on a 360? Is it worth busting out the classic Xbox and using a big fat Duke controller? I haven't played that game in so long.

It's workable, but not great. There's this weird graphical glitch on some of the later levels where the silhouette of a scene will basically freeze on your screen without freezing the game. It's hard to explain, but imagine having to play through the entire level with a black static image of an Elite partially blocking your view.

Edit: Here's what I'm talking about https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbNryvYhhXg But apparently you can avoid this by not auto-starting the game.

Bass Bottles fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Oct 20, 2012

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Tzeentch posted:

http://minus.com/lcO15hQXDQXAv

As far as I know this is the prelude level, like Noble Actual on Reach.

Woah, forget the live action movie. I want more of this. That flashback to the Covenant invasion looked amazing.

Edit: MC's graceful ninja moves fighting that Brute :stare: That should be an assassination move.

Bass Bottles fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Oct 21, 2012

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

I don't really think Bungie was all that good at storytelling. They never even explained in-game what a Spartan was, and Reach's plot is totally inaccessible to anyone who hasn't read the books before. I had played all the games and I still didn't understand why those humans in the beginning were hostile towards Noble Team.

Story-wise, everything I've seen from 343 seems way better. That opening cinematic manages to explain the entire backstory of the Spartans (making up for Bungie's failure) while simultaneously setting up some new questions for the game to explore, and it doesn't really feel that forced.

The de-evolution stuff is a little goofy, but still a fun solution to the problem of "How do we raise the stakes even higher?" It's sort of like LOST, they're adding more story by peeling back layers. As long as the games give the player everything they need to understand the story, the nods to the books can just be fun little extras.

That opening cutscene is rad as hell. I'm excited :shobon:

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

TheGreatGildersneeze posted:

Dude, Reach gave you more than plenty to go on with that. There's several mentions of "rebels" and "insurrection" and the like within the first 10 minutes of the game. Is it so much of a leap to think "sounds like there's an anti-government rebellion going on and we're off to kick some rebel rear end"?

When I'm turning on a game for the first time I'm trying to figure out the controls and looking around at the scenery. They need more than some vague military radio chatter to set things up. Previously, the story was supersoldiers vs aliens. Maybe I assumed the rebels were Covenant or something.

They need to be more blunt with their core plot points. Important things should be telegraphed early and often. Especially in videogames where there is so much to distract you. A good action game plot should be simple and bold.

\/\/\/ Yeah, definitely, but the story should still make sense on its own. You should be able to pick up Halo 4 with no previous Halo knowledge and be able to follow the plot.

Bass Bottles fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Oct 22, 2012

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

You were figuring out the controls during the introductory cutscene that explained things before you had control of your character at all? gently caress the story details, you must have had a hell of a time understanding why Noble Six wasn't doing what you told him to.

It was distressing, yes.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

I'd also love to know where people in this thread keep getting the idea that "most gamers" don't play single player, or don't pay attention to it, or whatever. If no one cared, or anything even close to "most gamers" didn't care about single player you'd figure AAA game developers would have caught on by now and saved a fuckload of dough by making MP-only games. Even BF3's comedic attempt at a campaign cost time, effort, and money to put together.

Multiplayer-only people are more likely to post on internet forums.

Though, it is a fact that something like only 20% of people actually finish the campaigns

Bass Bottles fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Oct 22, 2012

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Anyone else unable to install disc 1? I keep getting unreadable disc errors, which is ridiculous because this is a new game.

Should I bring it back to GameStop?

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

coyo7e posted:

Yes. getting a bad copy is not unheard-of, and even if you manage to install it eventually it will get worse, but you'll be so far after buying it you'll be hosed.

drat, I actually got it working with the classic toothpaste trick, but you're probably right. I just... really want to play :(

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Are there any plans to add more variety to the game modes? Since you only vote on maps now instead of maps and gametypes, there really isn't any room for something like rocket race or multi-team slayer.

Really enjoying the game, but I have to admit I'm going to miss playlists. I'd rather have a "Team Objective" playlist than individual playlists for each gametype.

CoD style of a la carte gaming gets old faster. I really liked the variety of the old system.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Party Plane Jones posted:

I am not liking how completely terrible both the jetpack and grenades in general are. Coming from Reach it's a huge step back.

The jetpack is definitely nerfed, but it's still pretty useful as long as you do a sprint-jump before using it.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

I hope we get more playlists like FFA Throwback where there are multiple gametypes within the same playlist.

Right now it has over twice the amount of players of either Oddball or King of the Hill's individual playlists. They should really just combine them permanently. (And also add objective gametypes to Big Team!)

SWAT is the third most popular playlist, even though it's hidden below the gametype list by an easy-to-miss scrollbar. I don't see them getting rid of it anytime soon.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

FFA Throwback is gone :( Team Snipers now up.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Funkmaster General posted:

The first season, which consists of 10 episodes (so 50 total missions) will be free. A second season is already in the works, and the chance that you'll have to pay for it is relatively high, so I could see it being attached to one of the map packs. Feels like at least the first map pack, being released in December, is too early to be part of that sort of thing, but the next two could possibly be.

Where/when was season 2 announced? Not doubting you, just curious.

Anyway, I don't think it would come with a map pack. You get the map packs with the season pass, and they were weirdly specific about what that included (9 maps, complete with finalized titles and descriptions!) It's funny when you compare it to how vague the Gears 3 pass was last year.

It will probably be separate DLC or maybe (!!?) part of some ODST-type boxed retail product next fall. They've been pretty on target releasing a new retail Halo game every year, so I wouldn't be surprised. Either that or Halo 2 HD.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

coyo7e posted:

Doritos make great campfire starters. They burn hot and slow and are fairly windproof once you get them going.

Pour some Gamerfuel on that fire.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

MickRaider posted:

Unless I'm mistaken the maps are already done. The first pack will be out in December.

December 10th, February 25th, and April 1st.

Bass Bottles fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Nov 27, 2012

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

The leaked emails from the Infinity Ward court case said that the first "Destiny" game will be Xbox 360 exclusive for 1 year, then go to PS3. Sequels will be for PS4/Xbox 720.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

doctor 7 posted:

I must've missed something but what does an IW court case have to do with Bungie's next game?

Bungie's game is being published by Activision. A bunch of internal Activision emails were made public as part of the IW Court case, including some that discussed it.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Teek posted:

I was assume that means the next Xbox is going to hit in 2014 at the earliest? Because why would Bungie release a game on 360 when a new console hits that same year. Seems like a big waste, since it would have an insane attach rate as a launch title.

Nah, the game stands to make way more money on the 360 even if the 720 launches at the same time. You don't bring the big budget titles to new hardware until they gain an install base. Sort of like how Nintendo just released a new Pokemon game on the DS instead of the 3DS, or how Black Ops 2 only has 500 people playing online on the Wii U.

RBA Starblade posted:

FFA King of the Hill is wonderful. I got 68 kills and won with 50 points to second place's 49. You are drat lucky to get a second a life. Setting up a loadout with frag grenades, explosive armor mod, and the assault rifle is a really good way to get a load of triple kills though. :clint:

Add a Boltshot to that and you're all set for Oddball, too.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Rough Lobster posted:

Hahaha, I got one of those. I was chuckling so hard when the announcer said it that I promptly got killed. In fact, I love most of the oddball related medals. First touch! Magic hands! Ball master!

I've noticed quite a few new medals in my recent games. Airsassinations, Road Trips, and all kinds of fun stuff.

Road trip is the best one because the announcer sounds psyched as hell.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

MickRaider posted:

I get the feeling it will be a forge only playlist since there's certain people that HATE forge maps.

The problem with Forge maps is that they all looked the same. They solved that problem in this game by making 3 distinct Forge maps. It would be a waste to go to the effort to fix that problem and then... not use them.

At the very least, they should put 1 version of each map into rotation. That would be 3 totally unique maps right away with minimal effort.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

MickRaider posted:

Do people just like the simplicity of Haven?

Why do they only vote for that map.

I think so. The small size makes it the easiest to "learn." Maximum success with minimal effort. See: Nuketown.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

ironlung posted:

has anyone figured out what causes loadouts to get deleted? super annoying and it has happened to me like 3-4 times now...

Playing splitscreen is what did it to me.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

I'm stuck on the backup server right now, but none of my friends are. Has anyone else had this problem before? I just wait it out, right?

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Nickname Pending posted:

Ishimura from Dead Space.

I downloaded this and it's amazing. You did a great job both re-creating the ship and creating a unique playspace to explore. Nice work! :)

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Relax, they filed a patent for a potential application. Companies file bullshit patents all the time for ideas which never come to fruition simply to make sure other companies don't use them first should they ever become a thing. Don't let morons in the internet tinfoil hat zone whip you into a furor. According to them, the Kinect is also a spying tool which will be recording you 24 hours a day and send information back to Microsoft for malicious purposes, which would be incredibly illegal.
Which also doesn't exist. The thread's probably rated 2 because it's full of terrible posters trying as hard as they can to out YCS each other.

That patent actually could be useful for renting movies that are still in theaters. The movie industry experimented with putting movies On Demand during their theater run and charging something like $30 for a rental (the equivalent price of 3 movie tickets) but it didn't really catch on. If you had a fourth friend over that was basically a lost ticket sale. They could use this technology to sell you "tickets" for a home theater experience without harming the actual theatrical release.

But then, you could just turn the Kinect so it only faces one person while everyone else sits on the other side of the room, so I doubt they'll ever actually use it. Maybe if the Kinect were built into the TV and had a wider viewing angle.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

That trailer was pretty great. 60 frames per second is nice. $500 is not.

Also curious why they refused to refer to the game as Halo 5.

Bass Bottles fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jun 10, 2013

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

RBA Starblade posted:

Out of curiosity, are there any multiplayer shooters out there today that are more close quarters and based around short ranged weapons and attacks instead of plinking at each other from a distance? I'm getting tired of trying it in Halo and having it end in failure nearly every time, but at the same time Halo's the only game I can think of that does it, except maybe TF2. I find running up and firing away while lobbing grenades and punching and hoping I dodge all the fire more fun than just standing back with the battle rifle, but Halo kind of punishes that at the same time it's the only one I know of offering it.

Gears of War?

Possibly Destiny.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

VJeff posted:

Halo 2 and Halo 3 Game of the Year Editions: 0
Halo 4 Game of the Year Editions: 1

Checkmate atheists. :smug:

ODST was secretly Halo 3 GOTY all along.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Napolean Bonerfarts posted:

And you do have a point. The decisions that 343 has made have been strange: hidden rankings, removed/hidden gametypes, weapon tuning during the middle of release, hardly any Forge in Matchmaking. Oh well, I'm not much of a complainer, but it is pretty odd.

I'm not a complainer either, I still have tons of fun playing, but the active player counts lately have been really depressing. I have to wonder how much of it is because Halo-style gameplay has fallen out of style in favor of CoD and how much is due to 343's handling of things.

But to be fair to them, this WAS their first game and I can see why they'd want to experiment and try new things. Hopefully they'll be able to take all the stuff they learned and make Halo 5 awesome.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Napolean Bonerfarts posted:

I logged on to Halo 4 online after not playing for a while. Infinity Slayer used to be #1 or #2 most played playlist. Now there is only like 700 people playing. This game is really dying. I'm getting bored of it myself due to the lack of maintenance and fresh content for the playlists. The playlist updates are pretty crappy. :(

Has the DLC mandate gone into effect yet? I haven't played since GTA came out.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Spartan Ops season 2?

I really hate ARGs.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

It also might be the long-rumored PC release of Halo 3/ODST, or the iOS port of Halo 2.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Shadow225 posted:

I agree with you, but this cannot coexist with the season pass model. I would be pissed if I bought the Season Pass, and everything was made free just a few months down the line. The dumb thing is that they can't even start making things free at this point, now that a GotY edition is coming out. I'd be interested in seeing if giving everyone the packs would be enough to spark the players back into the game, or if the game is irrevocably dead at this point.

It's too late for Halo 4, but Halo 5 could copy the DLC model of the new Killzone game. Competitive multiplayer maps are free, but the season pass features co-op modes/maps and cosmetic DLC.

Giving away new levels/maps for free is really popular with mobile games right now and I think it could do well for console games. It would be a great way to keep people playing and buying Halo year round instead of just at launch. They just need to offset it with DLC that's cheap but numerous. New helmets and stuff.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Halo 3 is officially free to download. Link: http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/Halo-3/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d8024d5307e6

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Yeah I think Halo 4 is honestly more fun than Halo 3, but not as fun as Reach. Reach was the perfect game.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

MickRaider posted:

The number of times I thought I had a headshot to harmlessly plink their neck was unfathomable.

It's weird because I feel the same way about Halo 3's BR but never had trouble with the DMR. I am also however a mediocre-to-okay player who's favorite thing about Halo is the jetpacks so my opinion is worthless.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

The bloom argument has been done to death in this thread and the last thread. It's a valid complaint from a competitive perspective, but some people enjoyed the risk/reward element of pacing your shots. Different strokes.

Bungie's maps were a lot more simple and arena-like than 343's. They were more visually distinct. They felt like playgrounds, and I can picture them perfectly in my mind.

343's maps are very complex and detailed, and feel less like wacky paintball arenas and more like real war-torn environments. They all blend together in my mind, though.

Reach is my favorite game of all time. I doubt I will ever spend as much time playing any other game in my life.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Laserface posted:

so how long are we waiting for Halo 3 HD aka the only halo game worth playing?

That's also part of the Halo 2 HD rumor. XB1 ports of H3 and H4 (But not H1 or Reach though??) Seems like a huge "Sorry we had to delay Halo 5 to 2015" apology basket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

RodShaft posted:

Cortana as a Spartan IS new.

:colbert:

When given the opportunity to convert her digital body to flesh and blood, Cortana chooses to be reborn as a man.

"Is this why you always spurned my advances, John? Is this what you wanted?"

• Locked thread